• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FightyF

Banned
RubxQub said:
Heh...I seem to fight 99% Ken's.

Ken > Ken > Ken > Ryu > Abel > Ken > Ryu > Cammy > Ken > Ken > Bison > Ken

...seems like America has picked their boy!

No love for the all-American Guile :(

I played this at a friend's with some Hori stick on 360, the game is excellent and it sucks that the TE sticks are coming in mid-March here in Canada.

I shaved my 360 pads so the d-pad isn't the issue as much as the 4 face buttons on the controller. I'm assuming that all punches and all kicks are binded to the triggers...so it may not be too bad.

I really wasn't planning on getting the FightPad, but I'm so in love with the game.

fin said:
I so wanted to call in sick for work today...

Online mode, is it limited to two players? No quarter up mode?

I'm loving it, although the number of people playing as Ken online is a pain in the ass.

I've seen Parties of people on my Friends list so I'm assuming there is a quarter up mode.

ShinAmano

fin said:
I'm loving it, although the number of people playing as Ken online is a pain in the ass.
This is funny. I see an even split between Ken and Ryu ;)

Seriously though play me...I pick random every time.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sounds to me that the training mode is devoid of....erm...training. Why on earth would they not teach you how to do all the combos, or am I missing something?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
DenogginizerOS said:
Sounds to me that the training mode is devoid of....erm...training. Why on earth would they not teach you how to do all the combos, or am I missing something?
They just say "Here do this combo" and don't tell you any timing or cancellations or anything. No demo videos of the combo either. Pretty annoying.

Ken's Super sucks lol, if you block it, you can dragon punch him between his 1st and 2nd dragon punch when blocking his super

no Super Art III for Ken and giving him the pooppoo Shoryureppa makes him blah

Wraith

NameGenerated said:
They just say "Here do this combo" and don't tell you any timing or cancellations or anything. No demo videos of the combo either. Pretty annoying.

I had to give up... I could not for the life of me pull off the Sakura combos they were asking for. It was very frustrating.

Barrett2

For anyone interested, my SF4 Special Edition PS3 Stick is for sale on Ebay. Auction ends in a few hours. Link. Can't really justify keeping it with all the stuff I bought this month.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
NameGenerated said:
That is pretty disappointing. I read that the printed guide is devoid of clear explanations as well. It is bad enough that this game is already a challenge with the default controller, but then to make it cryptic as to how to pull of the combos is just plain dumb.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jumped into the training mode this morning looking to work on the FP loop for El Fuerte. The hurdle I have to overcome is the timing of the run cancel > FP. =/ Practice makes perfect though I guess. :D

FYI: Any combos that start with a chain of ground normals (i.e. standing medium punch -> crouching medium punch -> [insert whatever special move]) the last normal move on the ground *must be a link* in order to cancel into the special. A link is when you connect two moves but you wait until the move you did before it *completely* recovers and then do it. These require some timing, but this is the key for some of the harder combos.

If you see something like jump whatever -> ground whatever -> special move, you can normally just mash that shit out.

And if you want videos of the combos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/kalelulen4

Baker

Banned
Is anyone else having problems with the Fighting Stick 3? I've been sick the past couple days, but it progressively more and more refuses to do QCFx2 based Ultras. I'd say 6-7 times out of 10 it'll read it as a shoryuken input instead. I'm hoping it was just my brain being slow, but it really seems like something wrong is going on.

This has also probably been mentioned, but I saw some dude from the Chun Li movie on tv yesterday and he said SFIV sold 2.5 million copies the first day. I have no idea if it's true though.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
gutter_trash said:
Ken's Super sucks lol, if you block it, you can dragon punch him between his 1st and 2nd dragon punch when blocking his super

no Super Art III for Ken and giving him the pooppoo Shoryureppa makes him blah

lol, I grabbed someone mid super too last night

So I managed to figure out just why my HRAP2:SA wasn't talking to me PS3. Turns out you have to toggle the "slow" switch on, then hit either Start or Select to get it to register ...yeah ...I was pissed

...anyway

My theory proofed true as I was able to beat Seth with my first try with my stick....

"Can someone explain the 'Armor Break' stuff?"

Focus attacks and certain EX moves have "super armor." Basically, they're able to take one hit and keep on moving unimpeded. Armor break moves immediately nullify the effects of super armor and crush it.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:

Focus attacks and certain EX moves have "super armor." Basically, they're able to take one hit and keep on moving unimpeded. Armor break moves immediately nullify the effects of super armor and crush it.

Is CPU Seth's vacuum an armor break move?

ShinAmano

Teknopathetic said:

Cool...I did not know how to put it to words. Thanks.

Chorazin

Captain N said:
Does the USB Saturn controller work on 360? I want a Dpad with 6 face buttons on the 360.

Nope, just PS3 and PC. I have one and it does indeed rock!

Check out the Fightpad from MadCatz, the one my friends have is awesome!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Man..I need to figure out what to do against this Chun-Li style I keep running into. I can beat her as Ryu, but my Fei Long can't crack that defense.

Basically the person is always crouched and on defense, and they'll react to whatever you do versus them initiating the combat. They'll shoot fireballs at you to keep you moving (You can focus these but not if they are too close), and whenever you go towards them they guard and counter.

It seems like I need to get some throws in, but I'm not sure how I should get in close enough without getting a face full of foot.

Anyone face these types and have any good tips?

Raxus

Teknopathetic said:

Not to mention a bonus sound effect (a crush) sound to know the move broke through armor. Armor can only shield single hits too so two quick jabs can snap someone out of focus.

Captain N

Chorazin said:
Nope, just PS3 and PC. I have one and it does indeed rock!

Check out the Fightpad from MadCatz, the one my friends have is awesome!

the problem is they are going for 70 dollars or more on Ebay.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Is CPU Seth's vacuum an armor break move?

I haven't found anything to get through that yet. It's such a pain in the ass. I've even been BEHIND the guy when that went off and I suddenly warped across the screen. Lots of curses were heard after that....

h3ro

Baker said:
Is anyone else having problems with the Fighting Stick 3? I've been sick the past couple days, but it progressively more and more refuses to do QCFx2 based Ultras. I'd say 6-7 times out of 10 it'll read it as a shoryuken input instead. I'm hoping it was just my brain being slow, but it really seems like something wrong is going on.

This has also probably been mentioned, but I saw some dude from the Chun Li movie on tv yesterday and he said SFIV sold 2.5 million copies the first day. I have no idea if it's true though.

I have the 360 version of that stick, the EX2 and I also had a little trouble with the 2xQCF Ultras. I thought it was more due to my unfamiliarity with square gates that some sort of defect with the stick itself. I put in an order from Lizard Lick for an octagonal gate and Sanwa bat top though, just because thats is the style of gate/stick I used growing up. It's a cheap mod (cost me $10 for stick/adapter and gate), give it a shot if you continue to have a problem with the move... hopefully it helps.

Raxus

If seth gets a vacuum off on you either a) jump back, b) pull off a high priority move, or c) throw. Chances are is he will follow up with the super high priority zangief throw or do a shoryuken.

DIRTY-D

I was playing as Seth last night and I did his super on a friend of mine. Pretty cool...reminded me of Urien from SF3. :D

Also.....I just remembered...I never seen the CPU Seth do this super in Arcade mode.

hmmmmm...

ShinAmano

I know it has been asked to death, and I have read the first post (a couple of times) but how do I unlock Gouken?

I have been multiple times through with Ryu getting 4+ prefects and 4+ Ultra Finishes yet he does not show. I have unlocked everyone else.

Help me NeoGAF your my only hope. :lol

bumpkin

So, now that most (if not all) of us have the game... Does anyone with the PS3 Collectors Edition want to trade their Ryu figurine for a C Viper one? :D

DIRTY-D

ShinAmano said:
I know it has been asked to death, and I have read the first post (a couple of times) but how do I unlock Gouken?

I have been multiple times through with Ryu getting 4+ prefects and 4+ Ultra Finishes yet he does not show. I have unlocked everyone else.

use Akuma....and do at least 2 Ultra's.....no continues either

MGrant

ShinAmano said:

Make sure you've seen Akuma's ending.

xt04

Neo Member
I think playing too much HDR has screwed up my brain. This game is much much slower, and the combo timing is much different.

Overall the game seems less...twitchy for lack of a better word. I am making progress slowly but surely though.

In closing, Seth is a son of a bitch.

DIRTY-D said:
I was playing as Seth last night and I did his super on a friend of mine. Pretty cool...reminded me of Urien from SF3. :D

Also.....I just remembered...I never seen the CPU Seth do this super in Arcade mode.

hmmmmm...

I miss Urien

gotta get my tackle, tackle, headbutt on

So, I'm considering getting the game but ss the game casual friendly? I tried to play the HD Remix of SF2 but I found it insanely hard, barely maked it to the fourth fight in arcade mode. The only fighter I've played was Tekken 3 back in the day.

So will a none fighting game lover with no nostalgia for the series get anything out of SF4? Or is it all based on nostalgia and previous knowledge of the game mechanics from the earlier games?

MIMIC

Banned
ShinAmano said:

You have to be using Akuma to unlock Gouken.

MIMIC

Banned
MGrant said:
No, you just have to have beaten Arcade mode with him before and seen his ending. I did this and then beat it with Rose and got Gouken.

Oh. The cheats from IGN say you have to use Akuma.

Gouken - First, you must have all the unlockable characters unlocked that are available up to this point, including Akuma. Restart Arcade Mode with Akuma and get at least 2 Ultra Combo finishes and 2 Perfect Finishes. Gouken will challenge you. Win the match to unlock him.

ShinAmano

Ravager61 said:
No you dont. You just have to beat the game with Akuma before you can unlock Gouken.
Weird...I got Akuma...beat the game with him...then played as Ryu 4+ on both perfect and Ultras...no Gouken.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ShinAmano said:
Weird...I got Akuma...beat the game with him...then played as Ryu 4+ on both perfect and Ultras...no Gouken.

I had to do it a few times in order to get Gouken to show up.

What a pain it was to do it.

Ravager61

ShinAmano said:

Weird. I did the exact same thing except I only had 3 ultras and 2 perfects with Ryu. Must be something we are missing.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Everyone stop pretending that they know how to unlock Gouken :lol

My own experience proves that it's not as simple as just unlocking Akuma and beating the game with Akuma and doing some ultimates/perfects on the way to Seth (with no continues).

This is what we KNOW:

• You need to have Akuma unlocked
  • You do not need to unlock Gouken with Akuma (I did it with Ryu)
  • You can fight Gouken and beat him, but not unlock him (this was apparently because I hadn't beaten the game with Akuma yet)
  • You may/maynot need to beat the game with Akuma prior to unlocking Gouken (I think you do)
  • There is apparently some requirement of ultimates/perfects you need to minimally execute to fight Gouken
As I've said before, I fought Gouken and beat him and didn't unlock him. I beat the game with Akuma and got multiple perfects and ultimates and didn't fight Gouken. I beat the game with many other fighters getting multiple perfects and ultimates and didn't fight Gouken.

I randomly did the same shit I've always been doing with Ryu and got to fight Gouken. It makes me think there is a min/max on perfects and ultimates in order to fight Gouken.

MGrant

ShinAmano said:

There might be a limit on how many ultras you can do. I know it's asinine, but there seems to be evidence on the shoryuken forums pointing to this. Try just getting 3 of each.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
ShinAmano said:
First I wish in challenge mode you could hit a 'show me' button to see how the combo works...the hard level is HARD.

wtf.

Challenge Mode

It's a challenge, not "WAH WAH SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS SO I CAN X-COPY IT LIKE SHITTY TWELVE"

Whiny little children. This mentality is why 90% of people in this thread would get slaughtered in an arcade.

Zeliard

ShinAmano said:

I think you actually did too many Ultras. Seriously. Try only 2 or 3.

Edit: beaten, so it's apparently true!

Top Bottom