• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

DIRTY-D

Hey ShinAmano!

I would check in your gallery and look at the movies section. Make sure you have the intros and endings to all your characters to make sure you are not forgetting anybodies movies. This is key to opening all the hidden characters.

ShinAmano

RubxQub said:
Everyone stop pretending that they know how to unlock Gouken :lol

My own experience proves that it's not as simple as just unlocking Akuma and beating the game with Akuma and doing some ultimates/perfects on the way to Seth (with no continues).

This is what we KNOW:

• You need to have Akuma unlocked
  • You do not need to unlock Gouken with Akuma (I did it with Ryu)
  • You can fight Gouken and beat him, but not unlock him (this was apparently because I hadn't beaten the game with Akuma yet)
  • You may/maynot need to beat the game with Akuma prior to unlocking Gouken (I think you do)
  • There is apparently some requirement of ultimates/perfects you need to minimally execute to fight Gouken
As I've said before, I fought Gouken and beat him and didn't unlock him. I beat the game with Akuma and got multiple perfects and ultimates and didn't fight Gouken. I beat the game with many other fighters getting multiple perfects and ultimates and didn't fight Gouken.

I randomly did the same shit I've always been doing with Ryu and got to fight Gouken. It makes me think there is a min/max on perfects and ultimates in order to fight Gouken.
I could be wrong on this, but back when SSF2T came out was there a time limit to getting to fight Akuma? ex. had to make it to him in a specific time?

DIRTY-D said:
Hey ShinAmano!

I would check in your gallery and look at the movies section. Make sure you have the intros and endings to all your characters to make sure you are not forgetting anybodies movies. This is key to opening all the hidden characters.

Do I have to beat the game with everyone? I have only beaten it with specific people to unlock characters...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oichi said:
wtf.

Challenge Mode

It's a challenge, not "WAH WAH SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS SO I CAN X-COPY IT LIKE SHITTY TWELVE"

Whiny little children. This mentality is why 90% of people in this thread would get slaughtered in an arcade.
This is the reason why 90% of the people in this thread do not like you right now.

Lighten up, dude. Not everyone is at the same skill level as you and you should WANT them to get better, not insult them so they never get better.

...but something tells you me you enjoy picking on people that aren't as good as you and would dislike others attaining the same skill level.

...let people enjoy the game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Played a bit this morning, got to the 10 wins in a row before I realized it. Almost up to 1000bp. I don't see myself ever playing enough to really compete though.

Was mostly Kens, although I was pleased to face a sakura and a couple cammys.

I have yet to have a single person ever quit mid match. I am extremely pleased by this. Everyone has fought to the end. I don't have a headset so I don't have voice chat. If I don't have a headset, but the other person does, does it mute their mic or something? Because in 50 battles I've never heard anyone speak online.

Zeliard

Oichi said:
wtf.

Challenge Mode

It's a challenge, not "WAH WAH SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS SO I CAN X-COPY IT LIKE SHITTY TWELVE"

Whiny little children. This mentality is why 90% of people in this thread would get slaughtered in an arcade.

Your mentality is the worst ever. Get the fuck over yourself.

MGrant said:
There might be a limit on how many ultras you can do. I know it's asinine, but there seems to be evidence on the shoryuken forums pointing to this. Try just getting 3 of each.
nah. I did as many as I wanted to do. maybe 4 perfects and 4 or 5 ultras. fought and unlocked.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
slayn said:
If I don't have a headset, but the other person does, does it mute their mic or something? Because in 50 battles I've never heard anyone speak online.

I don't have my mic on and I've heard a few people talk through my TV speakers.

Baker

Banned
Are you guys playing on Easy to unlock all this shit?

Oh, and you're all liars. I've played online probably 15-20 times and I have only seen Ryu and Ken so far. Seriously.

I started learning/using Abel just because I got so bored of seeing them.

y2dvd

Do you get a trophy for getting more than 10 wins in a row? I went about 15-0 last night.

Gief can cheat/trick his 360 command so that you don't have to do the full 360 motion. Here's an example of the cheat motion: f, d/f, d, u + p.
Alternatively, you can do: b, d/b, d, u +p.

I took me about an hour to complete Ken's last challenge. My brother was waiting for me to pick him up and I didn't leave until I completed the challenge. :lol

RubxQub: Have you tried getting in with chicken wing? Fei was always played best being hella random. Do this, chicken wing to get in, then do a random lk flame kicks. Once they start blocking the flame kicks, switch it out for command throws. Then just mix up from there.
Abuse his FA too, it's the one redeeming thing Fei has going for him in this game lol.

DIRTY-D

ShinAmano said:
I could be wrong on this, but back when SSF2T came out was there a time limit to getting to fight Akuma? ex. had to make it to him in a specific time?

Do I have to beat the game with everyone? I have only beaten it with specific people to unlock characters...

Yep.....you need to beat the game with everyone to unlock the goodies.

Best way to do this and get everyone really fast.....set your options to 1 round and diff to easiest.

you will blow through the game in no time. make sure you watch the intro's and ending's to unlock the shit.

Zeliard

DIRTY-D said:
Yep.....you need to beat the game with everyone to unlock the goodies.

Best way to do this and get everyone really fast.....set your options to 1 round and diff to easiest.

you will blow through the game in no time. make sure you watch the intro's and ending's to unlock the shit.

You only need to beat it with everyone else to unlock Seth, not Gouken or Akuma.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Oichi said:
wtf.

Challenge Mode

You're that "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" moron in that YouTube video aren't you?

Either way; your attitude is awful.

DIRTY-D

Orin GA said:
I think seeing the cunt punch and tit-shock made it well worth it.

Yeah...I would say this is the only surprised moment for me. The movie failed hard compared to Street Fighter 2 the movie.

Which is pretty wierd....I have a teaser for SF4 anime that had Ryu beat down in the grasss checking out fireflys and shit.......with Akuma throwing air fireballs and shit around him as he layed there.

They fight and get interupted by Ken and his shin shoryuken.

AND THIS FUCKING SHIT WAS'NT EVEN IN THE FUCKING MOVIE

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

So I decided to venture into Ranked last night for the first time. Anyone else having to do it via fight requests? I tried to pick ranked fights and always got errors. But using FRs, I'd get a match as soon as the anime cutscene ended haha.

I'm going to try to get better with 'gief. Went 8-5 last night, which I'm very happy with as I work to improve.

Had 2 Ryu, 2 Sagat, 2 Blanka, 2 Guile, 1 Ken, 1 Akuma, 1 Sakura, and one Gief/Gief match. Can't remember the last one. But yeah, I didn't see too many new characters.

Couple of funny things. People who stand next to a Gief on the ground are just asking for a SPD/Super/Ultra when I get up. Also, doing the Gief running throw as an EX, you can't believe how many people threw a fireball (thus removing the super armor) and rather than punish me in any sort of way, would back off or jump backwards (he goes forward for an awfully long period of time) and would either finally get grabbed or end up in the corner.

Also to whoever that Guile was that put pressure on me, I'm very sorry about the cross-up crossbody, crouch short kick into the Ultra for the comeback.

The fightpad is amazing on this game.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Baker said:
Oh, and you're all liars. I've played online probably 15-20 times and I have only seen Ryu and Ken so far. Seriously.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised that there were three levels of easy: easy, very easy, and easiest...something like that

man I felt like a bad ass last night killin' the computer. I put the game on 1 round and easiest, I was crushin' seth gettin' perfects.

I felt like a thug that beats up whiny little children in arcades.

but yeah it's nice you can unlock all of the characters this way, well I dont know about gouken and akuma but I got sakura and cammy which is what I was going for.

also you can unlock the movies, it's nice you can put the anime in japanese with english sub titles and still customize the voices of each character.

lot of nice options in the game, too bad you dont get achievements on easy but it's only fair

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Vinterbird said:
So, I'm considering getting the game but ss the game casual friendly? I tried to play the HD Remix of SF2 but I found it insanely hard, barely maked it to the fourth fight in arcade mode. The only fighter I've played was Tekken 3 back in the day.

So will a none fighting game lover with no nostalgia for the series get anything out of SF4? Or is it all based on nostalgia and previous knowledge of the game mechanics from the earlier games?

One of the great things about the SF series ( the various iterations of 2 and Alpha anyway, 3 was a bit more hardcore) is the player could decide how in depth they could go but could still get great enjoyment from the game on a basic level. SF can be almost as in depth as Virtua Fighter, but that depth of knowledge is not necessary to pick up and play and enjoy, if that makes any sense. I also found it easier to grow with my characters in SF versus Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter. So yes, I think it has great casual appeal, pick up and play, but there's a lot more depth when you're ready for more.

I'm a below average SF player, I'd get wiped out in tourney play in a blink of an eye, but I've always enjoyed playing the computer and my friends. SF4 reminds me that the other fighters I've bought over the past 7 or so years have been a waste of time.

Baker

Banned
CronosBlade said:
The fightpad is amazing on this game.

I'm really thinking I should have got a fightpad for the PS3 too. I was a dumb-dumb head and just got a 360 one for Arcade games and whatnot.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im not all that surprised to see a lot of shotos online, I mean you want to get that BP and youll stick to the guy youre best with, and most people are best with shotos, so yeah. Ill probably stick with Ryu until Im more comfortable with Abel or Viper and then switch to them.

Now when Im playing a gaffer and all they do is pick Ken or Ryu in matches that dont even matter, thats a bit more sad : Mix it up a little! Its OK! I wont think youll suck if you cant do much with Dhalsim, but its FUN to try new things!

Chorazin

Baker said:

Are you playing Ranked or Player? I have my Arcade mode set to Ranked, and it's constantly Ken, Ken, Ryu, Ken, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ryu, (random other SF2T guy), Ken, Ryu, Akuma, ect, ect.

I fought 30 matches last night and fought 5 people who weren't Shoto.

Baker

Banned
Chorazin said:
Are you playing Ranked or Player? I have my Arcade mode set to Ranked, and it's constantly Ken, Ken, Ryu, Ken, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ryu, (random other SF2T guy), Ken, Ryu, Akuma, ect, ect.

I fought 30 matches last night and fought 5 people who weren't Shoto.

I've only played Ranked so far. And by "play," I really mean "gotten my ass kicked."

Oichi said:
wtf.

Challenge Mode

You sound like a complete asshole, but at the same time you're 100% right.

Challenge mode is just there to teach you a few combos and to work on your execution. It's not going to make you better at the game.

You still have to develop strategy, learn the matchups, learn distances and priorities, and be creative in your playstyle. Challenge mode can only teach you so much.

RubxQub

I find myself faking people out into picking a shoto :lol

At the character select screen I go right over to the Ryu/Ken column and go up and down between the two of them while the other person goes to pick their char, and then leap over to Fei Long and lock it in.

It seems like some people that see me pick Fei Long think Abel is a good counter pick, but most people immediately role over to Ken/Ryu when I pretend like I'm going to pick them.

Even in unranked matches, which kind of bothers me, but whatever :lol

Edit: Only time I'll fallback to Ryu is when I can't figure out how to break someone with my Fei Long (just to show them I'm not terrible) :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
RubxQub said:

At the character select screen I go right over to the Ryu/Ken column and go up and down between the two of them while the other person goes to pick their char, and then leap over to Fei Long and lock it in.

It seems like some people that see me pick Fei Long think Abel is a good counter pick, but most people immediately role over to Ken/Ryu when I pretend like I'm going to pick them.

Thats funny, I dont mind the lack of invisible picking though, be confident in your skills with a character,, you know? (plus I dont know whos a bad matchup for who anyways :p)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well unlocked all except Gouken and Seth so far since i got the game earlier.

Seth isnt that bad to beat even in normal, except when he goes apeshit and just decides to kill you no matter what you do :lol :lol

Zeliard

RubxQub said:

That shit's getting old, though, people waiting to see who you'll pick and then countering. Pick who you were going to pick, fuckers. This game needs a double blind character screen online.

In ranked matches, whatever, you want good matchups. It's still annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as doing that during simple non-ranked player matches. Those are supposed to be for fun.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I never understood the character "countering" business anyway. If you want to do that, just pick Sagat no matter what. :lol

RubxQub

Zeliard said:
That shit's getting old, though, people waiting to see who you'll pick and then countering. Pick who you were going to pick, fuckers. This game needs a double blind character screen online.

In ranked matches, whatever, you want good matchups. It's still annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as doing that during simple non-ranked player matches. Those are supposed to be for fun.
I don't mind seeing who each other are picking, but if some strategies start popping up where character x trumps character y, and people are counter-picking to force this match-up, I'd be less happy.

I don't mind if it changes to blind selecting, though.

careksims

NameGenerated said:
They just say "Here do this combo" and don't tell you any timing or cancellations or anything. No demo videos of the combo either. Pretty annoying.

That's one of the few things I dislike about SF4. They just tell you to do this combo. What if someone is new to the series? How the hell should they get the timing right and stuff? There's no examples at all :(. There's no lil tutorial to show you how to do certain techniques.

I'm trying to beat Sakura's 4th Level Challenges and it's driving me nuts. I'm waiting til someone does videos of all the challenges for all chars so I can see by example.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
viewtiful_dru said:
You sound like a complete asshole, but at the same time you're 100% right.

Challenge mode is just there to teach you a few combos and to work on your execution. It's not going to make you better at the game.

You still have to develop strategy, learn the matchups, learn distances and priorities, and be creative in your playstyle. Challenge mode can only teach you so much.
Yes, but the challenge mode could have been beefed up a lot to teach a whole lot more. The fact that it can't teach us that much just means capcom didn't feel like teach us any more than that.

KI Gold, for example, was a fighter with a similar mode that was far more valuable to the player.

Baker

Banned
Zeliard said:
That shit's getting old, though, people waiting to see who you'll pick and then countering. Pick who you were going to pick, fuckers.

Yeah. They're going to pick Ryu or Ken anyways. They're just trying to make it look like they know what they're doing by waiting for you to pick first.

Edit:
slayn said:
Yes, but the challenge mode could have been beefed up a lot to teach a whole lot more. The fact that it can't teach us that much just means capcom didn't feel like teach us any more than that.

KI Gold, for example, was a fighter with a similar mode that was far more valuable to the player.
I will always give my vote to the VF series training mode (well, at least 4 and 5).

I'm fine with the way SFIV handles it. However, it sucks that sometimes it doesn't tell you in the advanced combos that you have to shoehorn in a FADC somewhere in the middle. You had to dash in the middle of one of Abel's and it didn't tell you either.

Raging Spaniard

BTW, Gouken is REALLY fun to play as. Really awesome new addition even if his "story" is definitely a wtf copout, but whatevs.

Really liking the custom win quotes for each character, gives you a whole lot of info of the backstory on each character, I had no idea Guile is Kens brother in law.

jett

D-Member
Raging Spaniard said:
Really liking the custom win quotes for each character, gives you a whole lot of info of the backstory on each character, I had no idea Guile is Kens brother in law.

WAIT WAT

Zapages

Raging Spaniard said:
BTW, Gouken is REALLY fun to play as. Really awesome new addition even if his "story" is definitely a wtf copout, but whatevs.

WTF?!!! So Ken married Guile's Sister?:??? WTF?! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Baker said:

I'm fine with the way SFIV handles it. However, it sucks that sometimes it doesn't tell you in the advanced combos that you have to shoehorn in a FADC somewhere in the middle. You had to dash in the middle of one of Abel's and it didn't tell you either.
Part of learning the game is experimentation. I don't see the problem.

You can't expect to have everything you need to know handed to you. Imagine if you were like me, I had to learn the game in the arcade by watching, asking people around if certain things work or if certain things don't. Learning in the arcade is tough; especially when world class players are at your arcade and every play is $1.

With the console version, you have nothing to lose, so why not take the time to experiment? Online matches don't cost you anything but pride.

Zapages said:
WTF?!!! So Ken married Guile's Sister?:??? WTF?! :lol :lol :lol :lol

No, Guile's wife is the sister of Eliza (Ken's wife)

jett

D-Member
_dementia said:
Did you skip the Alphas too? It's the same command there.

"Go home and be a family man" makes a hell of a lot more sense now, don't you think?

:lol What a douche you are, I guess I just forgot, or maybe I never used Chun Li much in the Alpha games.

Top Bottom