• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Sectus

Oh... my... god. I just improved my 0% win ratio. I now officially have 1 ranked win. Nothing can stop me now!

Edit: The achievement picture for that is perfect, Dan crying of joy. That's exactly how I feel.

Barso

Banned
I just got my UK 360 version from shopto.net and there is nothing on the inside sleeve cover.
Is there meant to be or is it just PS3 version?

Baker

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
With the console version, you have nothing to lose, so why not take the time to experiment? Online matches don't cost you anything but pride.
I meant it more like:

It sucks trying for half an hour to pull off a combo in Trial Mode and then it turns out you had to put something in the middle they didn't tell you about.

I'm perfectly content getting my ass kicked online and learning other strategies that way.

Edit:
Sectus said:
Oh... my... god. I just improved my 0% win ratio. I now officially have 1 ranked win. Nothing can stop me now!
Haha. I won my very first online match. Then I went on like a 15-20 game losing streak. It sucked.

Wow, I beat arcade on Medium! I feel accomplished :lol

Cammy vs. Seth was such a bitch. The first round is a cakewalk, but then the second round he teleports all over the place and it's hard to get a feel for where he's going. Then one round I just said screw it. Spiral Arrow! Spiral Arrow! Spiral Arrow! Super!

Yea... we're done here.

Barrett2

Raging Spaniard said:
Guile is Kens brother in law.

dude1.gif

slayn

needs to show more effort.
viewtiful_dru said:
You can't expect to have everything you need to know handed to you.
Why not? Other games do it fine, and are the better for it. You don't make a good game by hiding the mechanics. That is as assinine as hiding the numbers in an RPG and expecting people to write their own damage charts.

Imagine if you were like me, I had to learn the game in the arcade by watching, asking people around if certain things work or if certain things don't. Learning in the arcade is tough; especially when world class players are at your arcade and every play is $1.

With the console version, you have nothing to lose, so why not take the time to experiment? Online matches don't cost you anything but pride.
Yes, and lets all derive advanced physics algorithms on our own. Because, you know, they had to back in the day. And because some silly people around today still find it fun. So that's clearly what everyone should do.

Not everyone enjoys learning through experimentation. Most normal people want the textbook sitting next to them as a reference.

Zapages

viewtiful_dru said:
No, Guile's wife is the sister of Eliza (Ken's wife)

So in the end we are a big huge happy family still.. lol

I hope the PS3 thing is wrong... I still have PS3 CE version still sealed and all. :)

mgviperman said:
Wow, I beat arcade on Medium! I feel accomplished :lol

Cammy vs. Seth was such a bitch. The first round is a cakewalk, but then the second round he teleports all over the place and it's hard to get a feel for where he's going. Then one round I just said screw it. Spiral Arrow! Spiral Arrow! Spiral Arrow! Super!

Yea... we're done here.
sometimes Seth is a damn cake-walk. sometimes he can be a real bastard with the teleporting.

I don't see myself getting the achievement of beating the game on Very Hard + 2 perfects + 3 ultras + Seth + Gouken without losing a round.

that's just ridiculous.

Zeliard

Dreams-Visions said:
sometimes Seth is a damn cake-walk. sometimes he can be a real bastard with the teleporting.

I don't see myself getting the achievement of beating the game on Very Hard + 2 perfects + 3 ultras + Seth + Gouken without losing a round.

that's just ridiculous.

Seth is so shitty to fight on higher difficulties. And it's always the same thing. In round 1, you stomp the shit out of him, and then in subsequent rounds he goes crazy on you.

Akim

Banned
Oichi said:
wtf.

Challenge Mode

It's a challenge, not "WAH WAH SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS SO I CAN X-COPY IT LIKE SHITTY TWELVE"

Whiny little children. This mentality is why 90% of people in this thread would get slaughtered in an arcade.

BooThisMan.gif

Struct09

I'm confused on what it takes to unlock Akuma and Gouken. I've seen guides say that you just have to complete Arcade Mode with every character, and then I've seen guides say that you have to finish rounds with perfects and ultras.

Which is it? I just need Akuma, Gouken, and Seth.

Xater

Struct09 said:
I'm confused on what it takes to unlock Akuma and Gouken. I've seen guides say that you just have to complete Arcade Mode with every character, and then I've seen guides say that you have to finish rounds with perfects and ultras.

Finish the arcade mode with all characters. To get Akuma you need at least 1 perferct and you are not allowed to continue.

For Gouken: Finish arcade mode with Akuma first then No continue, 2 Perfects, 3 Ultra Combo Finishes

And so far I only played Ryus and Kens in ranked matches. But people will probably hat eme too because I play Sagat so far. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dreams-Visions said:
word on the street is that only the PS3 version is having issues with unlocking characters like Akuma and Gouken.
I'm on the 360 version, so nope!

NOOOOOOOOPE!

...I eventually got Gouken but it was a bit unnerving not knowing the magic combination on how to do it.

Zeliard

Struct09 said:

You only need to beat it with every character to unlock Seth.

To get Akuma, try beating the Arcade with 1 perfect, no continues and zero ultra finishes. You need Akuma before getting Gouken. Also make sure you have all the other hidden chars unlocked first.

frogg609 said:
I heard that you can change voices from JP to English for each character. Where can you do this?

Options > Sound Settings > Voice Settings

Dreams-Visions said:
word on the street is that only the PS3 version is having issues with unlocking characters like Akuma and Gouken.

i got them,
here are the conditions for Akuma, Gouken, then Seth
-unlock everyone else
-finish story of everyone else
-to unlock Akuma; go to easiest, get ONE perfect (No More, No Less), get One Ultra Finish (No More, No Less), beat it with No Continues.
-then finish story with Akuma
-to unlock Gouken; go to easiest, get ONE perfect (No more, No Les), get THREE Ultra Finish (No More, No less, beat it with No Continues
-finish story with Gouken
-Seth is yours (I doubt you would want him but hey)

Baker

Banned
frogg609 said:
I heard that you can change voices from JP to English for each character. Where can you do this?

You unlock it after you beat Arcade the first time. It's in Options -> Sound -> Voice Settings (or something along those lines).

Struct09 said:

According to the OP, those conditions only apply if you are using 1-round matches. I'd be interested to know what conditions other than no continues are required for 2 round matches.

Zeliard

gutter_trash said:
-to unlock Akuma; go to easiest, get ONE perfect (No More, No Less), get One Ultra Finish (No More, No Less), beat it with No Continues.

-to unlock Gouken; go to easiest, get ONE perfect (No more, No Les), get THREE Ultra Finish (No More, No less, beat it with No Continues

I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure I unlocked Akuma without any ultras. With Gouken I had 3 ultras and 2 perfects.

All of this was with 1 round.

Captain N

gutter_trash said:
i got them,
-unlock everyone else

I got Gouken with 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Akuma doesn't need an Ultra. I also had two perfects (you only need one). I just unlocked it. You only need one perfect and no continues. Not inspired to unlock Gouken right now though :lol

Captain N said:
I got Gouken with 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes.
hmm looks like Gouken's is more accepting

because when i tried with Akuma, he was the one that was screwing up, I was getting too many perfects and he wouldn't unlock

Akuma only wants you to do one perfect lol

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I'm loving this game so much! I played for like 5 hours last night and can't wait to play again. I already unlocked everyone except Seth.

Quick questions:

1) You can only have 2 people in an online game? No quarter matches or anything like that? If not, that sucks big time :(

2) Can you set the arcade request thing so that only people on your friends list can jump into your game?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
RubxQub said:
This is the reason why 90% of the people in this thread do not like you right now.

Lighten up, dude. Not everyone is at the same skill level as you and you should WANT them to get better, not insult them so they never get better.

...but something tells you me you enjoy picking on people that aren't as good as you and would dislike others attaining the same skill level.

...let people enjoy the game.

Oh really, how about you look at the posts I've made in this thread. I've contributed PLENTY and I have given advice on MANY things that people have asked about, including the combos in Trial Mode. What I won't be nice about are people wanting a handout in something called a CHALLENGE MODE.

Zeliard said:
Your mentality is the worst ever. Get the fuck over yourself.

No, my mentality is "STOP WHINING". I don't mind beginners at all. I mind whiny beginners looking for an easy way out. I'm plenty helpful when asked. Just ask haunts, Tre and MarkMan, and so on.

McBradders said:
You're that "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" moron in that YouTube video aren't you?

Either way; your attitude is awful.

My attitude is a whole lot better than people in this thread making fun of "scrotos" and then getting owned by them.

viewtiful_dru said:
You sound like a complete asshole, but at the same time you're 100% right.

Challenge mode is just there to teach you a few combos and to work on your execution. It's not going to make you better at the game.

You still have to develop strategy, learn the matchups, learn distances and priorities, and be creative in your playstyle. Challenge mode can only teach you so much.

Thank you, I'm not the type to sugarcoat anything. :p

Edit:
gutter_trash said:
i got them,
-unlock everyone else

Gouken and Akuma's Perfect/Ultra conditions depend on round count. If you set it to 1 then it's different than if you set it to 3 or 5.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah if you beat Guile with Ken, his quote is something among the lines of "I feel bad about beating up my brother in law" or some shit, good stuff.

Also, Ken, Ryu and Chun Li are all buddy buddy and apparently everybody is aware of Sakura being obsessed with Ryu (even Sagat!) Oh, and Sakura wants to do a costume swap with Chun Li.
:lol

Oichi said:
Thank you, I'm not the type to sugarcoat anything. :p

down-right Fierce is correct!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
You definitely don't have to beat it with everyone else first, nor even the unlocked characters. I have Akuma and Gouken and I have yet to beat the game with half the cast.

You unlock everyone but Akuma, Gouken, and Seth first
Then, you fight akuma by "doing well enough" where what you have to do changes depending on how many rounds you are fighting. Assuming one around, that seems to be 1 perfect and 0 ultras. If you are doing 2 rounds, you probably need more. Note that you can't do "too well" or you trigger gouken, I guess, and get fucked over.
Then, you fight akuma. Beat him and unlock him.
Then you must beat the game with akuma. This step is important.
Only *after* you beat the game with akuma, can you make an attempt to unlock gouken.
you do this by doign "well enough" where again, it changes depending on number of rounds.
for 1 round matches, the sweet spot seems to be 2 perfects and 3 ultras.
fight gouken and unlock him.

Zapages

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah if you beat Guile with Ken, his quote is something among the lines of "I feel bad about beating up my brother in law" or some shit, good stuff.

Also, Ken, Ryu and Chun Li are all buddy buddy and apparently everybody is aware of Sakura being obsessed with Ryu (even Sagat!) Oh, and Sakura wants to do a costume swap with Chun Li.
:lol

down-right Fierce is correct!

That is awesome my friend... :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Another thing I need to do to improve is sure up my defense big time. =/ With Fuerte, I should try to focus on defending well then getting the hell out of dodge to set things back up. Also, need to use more pokes and combo strings to mix things up.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
slayn said:
You definitely don't have to beat it with everyone else first, nor even the unlocked characters. I have Akuma and Gouken and I have yet to beat the game with half the cast.

You unlock everyone by Akuma, Gouken, and Seth first
Then, you fight akuma by "doing well enough" where what you have to do changes depending on how many rounds you are fighting. Assuming one around, that seems to be 1 perfect and 0 ultras. If you are doing 2 rounds, you probably need more. Note that you can't do "too well" or you trigger gouken, I guess, and get fucked over.
Then, you fight akuma. Beat him and unlock him.
Then you must beat the game with akuma. This step is important.
Only *after* you beat the game with akuma, can you make an attempt to unlock gouken.
you do this by doign "well enough" where again, it changes depending on number of rounds.
for 1 round matches, the sweet spot seems to be 2 perfects and 3 ultras.
fight gouken and unlock him.

One thing to note is after I unlocked Akuma, I beat the game with him and then I wa slike "alright, Ill beat the game again with 2 Ultra finishes and two perfects and Ill fight Gouken"

That didnt happen

The reason? I picked Akuma again, the key is after you beat the game with Akuma, do the requirements with a character OTHER than him, and it has to be a characater youve already beaten the game with.

Zophar

I fought Gouken after Seth last night after playing through no continues and getting a bunch of ultras/perfect finishes. However, he didn't unlock after I beat him. Is this normal? I may still need to beat it with everyone.

I was also on the easiest setting, but it doesn't look like that matters.

Raging Spaniard

Kintaro said:
Another thing I need to do to improve is sure up my defense big time. =/ With Fuerte, I should try to focus on defending well then getting the hell out of dodge to set things back up. Also, need to use more pokes and combo strings to mix things up.

For some reason I defend a lot better when I play with Ryu or Ken, other characters Im not good at is like I magically forget to press back to block anything its weeeeird.

Played the game for 4 hours last night. This game is awesome. The online matches were quick and buttery smooth (360). Love the ability to make yourself available during arcade mode, although after a while I had to turn it off as I was never going to unlock characters at that rate!

Played many online matches and had lots of good ones. Played against a lot of Ken/Ryu/Sagats of course, but also several great matches against Abel players, Blankas, and Sakuras. I LOVE playing 'Gief in this game. He is a monster! Guile is also a great character to pick in order to punish shotos online. Only ran into one guy all night that used focus attacks effectively and he was pretty good with them. Almost nobody is using the new characters or Bison/Balrog/Vega.

Graphics and music are great (even the theme song) and the anime cutscenes are so bad they are good in a laugh-out-loud way. Game controls great with the SFIV pad.

My only complaint is the character selection process when a new online battle begins, as both players move around the board randomly for many seconds trying to NOT be the one that picks first. This makes the process take far longer than necessary. This happens almost every time and becomes quite annoying. I'm fully behind having a blind selection screen for this reason. I like to pick different characters all the time and mix things up, personally.

I can't wait to get home from work to play this game again tonight. First game in a while that made me feel that way.

Oichi said:
Gouken and Akuma's Perfect/Ultra conditions depend on round count. If you set it to 1 then it's different than if you set it to 3 or 5.
LOL!!!! that is screwed up.

I was trying to play by the rules of 3 rounds on medium and get tons of perfects.. i couldn't do it.
but on easiest with 1 round.. it worked.
the conditions were retarded imo

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
For some reason I defend a lot better when I play with Ryu or Ken, other characters Im not good at is like I magically forget to press back to block anything its weeeeird.

Same here, but it's much easier with those two since we know their timing with block/counter more than a new character. At least in my case.

Jables

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks Seth is a total bitch. I beat the game on Medium after several fights and it did feel like a huge accomplishment, though getting Molly Whopped round after round almost made me put my foot through the TV.

I hate to ever say a game cheats, but I'll be damned if Seth's AI isn't set to auto counter every fucking thing I do. He has an answer for every move I attempt and I'm just flat out unsure of when to try and counter for fear I'll just get hit with a 6hit combo upper cut.

Even just trying to unlock new characters on Very Easy, Seth still keeps up the same old shit. I've finally been able to get past him with Ken, Blanka, Abel, Ryu, and Viper (Viper was a holy hell son of a bitch fight that finally ended with me nailing his ass to the wall with my Ultra).

Fuck that guy. I don't know whether to be pissed at Capcom for developing such a bullshit AI for a final boss, or appreciate the fact that it's so hard I feel like a super badass and prance around the house in celebration when I beat him.

Dr.Hadji said:
Oh how I miss my Jab Torpedoes. Stupid fireball spam. Whats the cool new way to get through this stuff?

that is one of the many Sirlin oddities that I did not agree with in HDR. I am a Honda player but some of the HDR touch ups were ultra bizarre.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Dr.Hadji said:
Oh how I miss my Jab Torpedoes. Stupid fireball spam. Whats the cool new way to get through this stuff?

Focus Attack the fireball then dash in. Mix with vertical jumps and forward jumps. Sumo splash on startup also goes through fireballs, although EX Sumo splash does it more reliably.

If you do sumo splash to go through a fireball and land on them while they're blocking, have a torpedo ready to go. Best thing to do with Honda in this game is to fool them with your charges. After you do sumo splash, charge down/back immediately to ready another move. when you land, bust out a torpedo, preferably EX. At this stage of the game most players online won't know how to punish (it's very unsafe against people who know how to punish) so you're pretty much safe.

Zeliard

Oichi said:
No, my mentality is "STOP WHINING". I don't mind beginners at all. I mind whiny beginners looking for an easy way out. I'm plenty helpful when asked. Just ask haunts, Tre and MarkMan, and so on.

I hear you, but people don't want challenge mode to teach them how to play the game (those are complaints I've heard about training mode). They're just asking for a more intuitive way of gauging the timing on some of those more advanced combos.

Zophar said:
I fought Gouken after Seth last night after playing through no continues and getting a bunch of ultras/perfect finishes. However, he didn't unlock after I beat him. Is this normal? I may still need to beat it with everyone.

I was also on the easiest setting, but it doesn't look like that matters.

You probably don't have Akuma yet. You need him or Gouken won't unlock even if you beat him.

Top Bottom