• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Akim

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I like fighting Sagat with my Ryu. Usually pretty easy to bait them into a Tiger Uppercut.

:lol

I think the same thing when I fight ryu/ken. I almost never uppercut though, which is bad. I almost exclusively throw knees.

vas_a_morir said:
He is like Ryu or Ken, except when he lands one uppercut, it takes out half your health. haha. DOn't worry, you shoto assholes. I'm on to your little game!
Shit! What uppercut? High low tiger shots will fuck anyone up! :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
corkscrewblow said:
He's 100% right. I've never seen such a broken character that wasn't a boss. It's fun owning the terrible Sagat players though with Balrog.

Sagat is probably the least broke of any top tier character in SF history.

This isn't 3s Yun/Chun or STHD Akuma.

That said, I do wish I could ban Ryu/Ken/Sagat players from rooms I create, because that's all I see so far, and it's annoying. STHD had a lot more variety. I do well against them, but it's boring.

Cowie

got my 10 ranked wins in a row achievement reppin Dizzy Chicks

Wanted to make sure I got that out of the way while there are still people worse than me. Now to try and have fun. haha.

Tokubetsu

Okay so im trying to do the C.viper challenges on the 360 controller (I know) and im doing alright but fucking i cant cancel her seismic hammer for the LIFE of me. am i not tapping punch fast enough? can i on this controller?

Cowie

Tokubetsu said:
Okay so im trying to do the C.viper challenges on the 360 controller (I know) and im doing alright but fucking i cant cancel her seismic hammer for the LIFE of me. am i not tapping punch fast enough? can i on this controller?

Are you pressing two punch buttons to cancel? And the cancel has to be done really quick.. properly done all you hear is the 'shing' noise from the beginning of the move.

Tokubetsu said:
It might be easier for you to cancel with the 2 punch buttons that you didn't use to start the move. You gotta do it fast.

ruxtpin

Banned
UC1 said:

You gotta' understand that this is the first SF game I've ever owned, so this is all totally new to me. Could you, or anyone else for that matter, briefly explain how one might use a focus attack to combo in-or-out of something? I'm just learning here (and I have been browsing 1UP and Shoryuken's strat sections too.) Thanks in advance.

ruxtpin said:
You gotta' understand that this is the first SF game I've ever owned, so this is all totally new to me. Could you, or anyone else for that matter, briefly explain how one might use a focus attack to combo in-or-out of something? I'm just learning here (and I have been browsing 1UP and Shoryuken's strat sections too.) Thanks in advance.

Here's a video I linked to earlier that does a good job of explaining focus attacks, dash canceling, and the point of using it.

http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/863022/ignstrategize/videos/ignstrategize_SFIV_021809.html

Darkman M

arstal said:
Sagat is probably the least broke of any top tier character in SF history.

This isn't 3s Yun/Chun or STHD Akuma.

That said, I do wish I could ban Ryu/Ken/Sagat players from rooms I create, because that's all I see so far, and it's annoying. STHD had a lot more variety. I do well against them, but it's boring.

:lol You want everyone banned damnn...

ruxtpin said:
With that in mind, you may want to forget about dash cancels for the time being. While you are charging the focus attack, you can absorb one attack from your opponent. This means, if someone hits you while you're charging, and then you immediately release the buttons, you will counter them and not take any damage (well sort of.) If they, however, attack you with more than one hit (Honda's hundred hand slap, Chun's lightning kicks) you will absorb the first hit and then get ruined by the rest.

Good application for a beginner. When someone jumps at you, charge up. They will probably hit you with a jumping attack then you can just let go of the buttons to counter. Try it out.

And look in the instruction book, it's actually pretty informative.

blackadde

corkscrewblow said:
He's 100% right. I've never seen such a broken character that wasn't a boss. It's fun owning the terrible Sagat players though with Balrog.

o. sagat? yun? 2i ibuki? cvs nak? sagat doesn't even have his retarded c.fierce from cvs2, so don't complain. :lol

riskVSreward said:
With that in mind, you may want to forget about dash cancels for the time being. While you are charging the focus attack, you can absorb one attack from your opponent. This means, if someone hits you while you're charging, and then you immediately release the buttons, you will counter them and not take any damage (well sort of.) If they, however, attack you with more than one hit (Honda's hundred hand slap, Chun's lightning kicks) you will absorb the first hit and then get ruined by the rest.

Good application for a beginner. When someone jumps at you, charge up. They will probably hit you with a jumping attack then you can just let go of the buttons to counter. Try it out.

And look in the instruction book, it's actually pretty informative.

Once all the Kens out there figure out how to cancel a blocked DP and then dash back, I'm going to have some trouble.

Ridli

Interesting thing just happened to me while clearing out the lower tier challenges. I was doing Sagat's Crounching Medium Punch into Tiger Genocide, well, during my motions my finger came off my MP in the middle of the genocide motion and I managed to do a Crouching MP > Med Tiger Shot > Tiger Genocide. But I got credited with completing the challenge.

Don't know if this would mean that it's possible to link other moves into the challenges (most of the time it would be impossible I think) but I found it interesting.

-COOLIO- said:
so anyone know how to cancel a heavy kick with viper into her super?
Since she doesnt have a QCF+K move you can do this:

QCF+K QCF+P - do this whole thing fast

The kick comes out as normal and the 2 QCFs stack together to make the super... poor choice of words but I hope that makes sense.

You could technically do K QCF QCF+P too, but you have to be much much faster just FYI.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
riskVSreward said:
Since she doesnt have a QCF+K move you can do this:

QCF+K QCF+P - do this whole thing fast

The kick comes out as normal and the 2 QCFs stack together to make the super... poor choice of words but I hope that makes sense.

You could technically do K QCF QCF+P too, but you have to be much much faster just FYI.
thanks!

whats QCF though?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Ridli said:
Interesting thing just happened to me while clearing out the lower tier challenges. I was doing Sagat's Crounching Medium Punch into Tiger Genocide, well, during my motions my finger came off my MP in the middle of the genocide motion and I managed to do a Crouching MP > Med Tiger Shot > Tiger Genocide. But I got credited with completing the challenge.

Don't know if this would mean that it's possible to link other moves into the challenges (most of the time it would be impossible I think) but I found it interesting.

Yes, it's like for all combos in Challenge mode. So long as you can combo it, you can throw in any move in the middle of it and be credited for the combo.

CPS2

ruxtpin said:

I think the easiest way to start off, fully charge a focus attack until it hits, then dash forwards and throw. Once you get the hang of that, replace the throw with better moves. There's tonnes of other ways to use it, but this is one of the easiest and most useful imo.

Finally I'm on a winning streak.

Seriously, all but 5 times, I have fought either Akuma, gouken, Ryu, Ken, or Sagat. Mostly Ken. I got chall number now, son.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Darkman M said:
:lol You want everyone banned damnn...

I never said I wanted them banned.

HDR Akuma I did.

3s Yun/Chun. My solution was to play better games then 3S. There's enough of them.

SF4 Sagat isn't as bad as any of those.

Seriously, character whoring is annoying. Just because it's annoying doesn't mean that I am helpless against said characters. I checked and my win % vs Sagat was like 84%. I think the only chars I'm below 50 on are Viper and Gen.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
yeah I catch a lot of shit from the competitive crowd since I don't share their opinions, but I hang with them pretty well (I can even win tournies occasionally on the local level, though I'd get whomped at majors by the big boys). I think that's my problem somewhat: I love the games but hate the community.

junkster said:
I'll pay $60 for DLC where no Ryu Ken Sagat or Gouki can be used, I've played 20 in a row and it's NOT fun.

look me up junkster I'll play you. I normally dont use shotos unless Iam messing around. :D
any looking for some anti shoto matches I need some practice. GT Toonami918

slayn

needs to show more effort.
arstal said:
I checked and my win % vs Sagat was like 84%. I think the only chars I'm below 50 on are Viper and Gen.
wait, what? how do you check your win% vs a certain character?

edit:
also, the BP climb really starts to crawl when you get to around 1500. When you get to like 3000, do you get like 1 point per victory or what?

arstal said:
yeah I catch a lot of shit from the competitive crowd since I don't share their opinions, but I hang with them pretty well (I can even win tournies occasionally on the local level, though I'd get whomped at majors by the big boys). I think that's my problem somewhat: I love the games but hate the community.
Absolutely, I think you and I need to start a fg counter-culture!!! Nah, but seriously, the "scene" are a bunch of pricks for the most part. It hasn't stopped me from playing almost every fighter to have come out though. I just never liked 3S for reasons I've outlined here on GAF in the past, I'd rather not bring up that dead horse though. As we all know, you can't speak ill of 3S in front of the big boys, because it is the definitive fighting game now and forever. rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom