• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

CPS2

I was getting to Gouken but hadn't beat arcade mode with Akuma, played through arcade mode about 5 times before it unlocked =/

Akim said:
Ok I need SAGAT help. Keep in mind I'm using the 360 analog.

I'm trying to Tiger uppercut and cancel that using focus (which I'm having trouble with, when exactly do I hit the focus attack? Seems like I need to hit it as soon as i input TU but it works for me like 1/6 of the time) Then roundhouse kick into my ultra. It doesn't even seem like the TU gets them in the air long enough.

Yeah you need to press MP+MK before Sagat leaves the ground, after the uppercut. Keep holding MP+MK, then dash forwards, then do forwards +HK - ultra.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am so sick of fighting Kens. Worse yet, I'm so sick of losing to them with Fuerte. It's like my mind spazs out due to all the Kens. Fireball spam is a pain to get through with the poor Lucha, then a SRK just takes my face off. If I start the cross up game, SRK counters anything I do. The guacamole is iffy on Hurricane Kick spam as well, so I don't know how to punish that shit.

ARGH.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Kintaro said:
I am so sick of fighting Kens. Worse yet, I'm so sick of losing to them with Fuerte. It's like my mind spazs out due to all the Kens. Fireball spam is a pain to get through with the poor Lucha, then a SRK just takes my face off. If I start the cross up game, SRK counters anything I do. The guacamole is iffy on Hurricane Kick spam as well, so I don't know how to punish that shit.

ARGH.

uh, did you even read my reply to you to improve your Fuerte almost immediately after you posted like 7 pages back?

And why are you countering HK with anti-air throw? You counter hurricane kicks and jump-ins with c.fierce.

Edit: I'll just copy/paste the strategy again.

Against shoto players
- If you block a sweep, do forward run, stop, anti-air throw. Most shotos right now will do the sweep, see it blocked and jump backward. You'll grab them with the anti-air throw about 90% of the time if your timing is good. EX version is more reliable.

In General
- On wakeup, do EX throw to get out of sticky situations. It's a safe move that is hard to punish. Also on wakeup, do EX Backward Run into throw or body press. Or if the other guy is good at punishing this on reaction, just let the run take you back to the other side of the screen.

- j.Fierce is a good jump in attack, and very good for cross-ups. If you can cross up with it, do standing close Roundhouse to juggle into anti-air throw. If roundhouse is blocked they can't really do a whole lot to punish you, especially this early in the game.

- Against fireball characters make use of EX forward run. Most will fire stuff from the other side of the screen, so do ex run to absorb the fireball, and do either slide or press or throw.

- You can control not only the press and throw from Fuerte's run, but also his Ultra. When the moves are executing, press and hold forward or back to control the arc of the attack. With the press this is essential because it gives you ambigious crossups. With the throw it's great because you can do backward run, hold forward and get more range on the throw. For Ultra it's great if they're point blank, or if they're halfway across the screen throwing fireballs. Yes, on reaction, if you do the Ultra to a fireball, it's gonna hit.

- Fuerte's air-to-air game isn't that great compared to other characters, so utilize his air throw instead.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
BIG BUBBA said:
I asked this a while ago but didn't get a response, so I'll ask again. For someone who isn't really that big into fighting games, is using the 360 controller acceptable? I used it on Soul Calibur 4 without any complaints (I use the joystick).

I can pull off moves perfectly on Sagat now with the 360 controller. You get use to it after a few hours

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Kintaro said:

ARGH.

Better than fighting Sagats all day...

ph15h

Neo Member
Andronicus said:
:lol i Got a perfect on seth with Dan LOL

:lol

you too? I just unlocked Dan and was having my ass handed to me on every other character but when I got to Seth and it was like he didn't remember any of his special moves. Just kept on Jump HK him lol

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Neiteio said:
Yes, I appreciate it, but if you read the links on Google each site tells a different way of doing it. I simply want to know the definitive number of Ultra finishers and perfects needed to get these guys.

But it's no big deal, I guess. Thanks anyway.

Its in the OP, its on shoryuken and its been on every page almost...

GAF LEARN TO READ

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
SteveO409 said:
I can pull off moves perfectly on Sagat now with the 360 controller. You get use to it after a few hours

Cool. In that case, I think I'll get it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Akim said:
You killed me so much in hdremix...I want sf4 revenge

Totally whats great about this game is everyone is on the same level of just learning the game. I'm mainning Akuma, still got a lot to learn since I usually play charge characters. Who you using?

I'm getting better with the arcade stick. Decided to play a couple of matches online - one won and lost won with Cammy. Both against shotos. I can only see myself improving and I might actually be ballsy and try to main her.

Akim

Banned
n3ss said:
Totally whats great about this game is everyone is on the same level of just learning the game. I'm mainning Akuma, still got a lot to learn since I usually play charge characters. Who you using?

You don't want to know

sagat

Yeah...the OP definitely needs to be updated with the new unlock information. That post on the last page was perfect (just makes sure to include N3ss info for unlocking Gouken).

Also...can the artwork that won the inside cover art be posted also.

Please...Haunts...

And the official strategy guide sucks...if you're not a beginner. The Anniversary and Anthology guides are way better (because it had the input of actual SF experts).

And no guide will ever touch the Versus Alpha2 guide (or to a degree Matt Taylor's Hyper Fighting guide).

n3ss said:

NOooooo. Guess you don't like the man beast in this game. I don't blame you. I feel the same way about Claw. His off the wall shenanigans are off (maybe because of the 3D engine...not sure).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oichi said:
uh, did you even read my reply to you to improve your Fuerte almost immediately after you posted like 7 pages back?

And why are you countering HK with anti-air throw? You counter hurricane kicks and jump-ins with c.fierce.

Edit: I'll just copy/paste the strategy again.

Against shoto players
- If you block a sweep, do forward run, stop, anti-air throw. Most shotos right now will do the sweep, see it blocked and jump backward. You'll grab them with the anti-air throw about 90% of the time if your timing is good. EX version is more reliable.

In General
- On wakeup, do EX throw to get out of sticky situations. It's a safe move that is hard to punish. Also on wakeup, do EX Backward Run into throw or body press. Or if the other guy is good at punishing this on reaction, just let the run take you back to the other side of the screen.

- j.Fierce is a good jump in attack, and very good for cross-ups. If you can cross up with it, do standing close Roundhouse to juggle into anti-air throw. If roundhouse is blocked they can't really do a whole lot to punish you, especially this early in the game.

- Against fireball characters make use of EX forward run. Most will fire stuff from the other side of the screen, so do ex run to absorb the fireball, and do either slide or press or throw.

- You can control not only the press and throw from Fuerte's run, but also his Ultra. When the moves are executing, press and hold forward or back to control the arc of the attack. With the press this is essential because it gives you ambigious crossups. With the throw it's great because you can do backward run, hold forward and get more range on the throw. For Ultra it's great if they're point blank, or if they're halfway across the screen throwing fireballs. Yes, on reaction, if you do the Ultra to a fireball, it's gonna hit.

- Fuerte's air-to-air game isn't that great compared to other characters, so utilize his air throw instead.

Didn't even see the reply. Thread moves fast and I was at work at the time.

Thanks! I'll copy and paste this into notepad.

I just unlocked everyone, is there anyway to back up this SF4 save data. In case my PS3 ever has to be sent away? *knocks on wood.

it wont let me copy it to a memory stick :(

system back up?

MoxManiac

Man, the save data is locked? That sucks ass. I'm terrified it's going to get corrupted and i'll have to do this character unlocking hell all over again.

impirius

Dammit! I switched over from Ken to Sagat so I could have a familiar character to start out with and not just be another Ken online, and now Sagat is the new Ken? I CAN'T WIN!

If everyone starts playing C.Viper, I'll officially give up trying to be cool.

Jtrizzy

Neiteio said:
How do I unlock Akuma, Gouken and Seth? Also, PLEASE someone tell me where I can download mp3s of the intro movie song and its remix on the Character Select screen. PLEASE!

Yeah I was going to ask for a small clarification...do I have to beat the game with the unlocked characters not using a continue during any of the various runs?

Okay, I can SHORYUKEN -> EX FOCUS CANCEL. But how on earth do I go from EX FOCUS CANCEL -> ULTRA COMBO? (In this case, it would be Ryu's ULTRA.)

You guys are really helpful and awesome.

MIMIC

Banned
For everyone yelling at people to search Google for questions on how to unlock Akuma.....THE RESULTS ARE INCORRECT

They all say that you must:

1. Unlock Sakura, Dan, Fei Long, Gen, Rose & Dan
2. Start up Arcade Mode again
3. During Arcade Mode, achieve 2 or more Perfects
4. Also during Arcade mode, achieve 2 (and ONLY 2) Ultra Combo finishes
5 (??) You cannot lose a match in the process
6. Akuma will fight you during Arcade Mode after 1-5 have been completed.

Akuma never showed up for me and I did all of this.

The one thing that I did not do (that none of the Google results have said) is beat the game with every character (with the exception of Akuma, Gouken & Seth). Maybe that's the key

DarkSloth

El Fuerte is so fun. It sucks that 80% of the time I get taken out by a crappy ken. But i'm determined to make it work. I like the new characters a lot. Well, I still haven't played Rufus; He is too damn ugly.

Keikoku

Banned
I love this game but goddam I really suck. This is truly frustrating, I can't even beat the arcade mode on normal. I know how to perform each combos for Ken but I am not able to use them properly. Can you guys recommend me a good character for a beginner ? I've been thinking about Zangief.

Evlar

Banned
I suppose it's just that I'm getting caught up in the moment but this feels a little like the early 90s- everyone celebrating a new fighter coming out. The sense of community is very cool. Long live Street Fighter!

LiK

Evlar said:
I suppose it's just that I'm getting caught up in the moment but this feels a little like the early 90s- everyone celebrating a new fighter coming out. The sense of community is very cool. Long live Street Fighter!

i also like that everyone is saying it's hard. it sounds like a new game all over again. ah, the good ol' days...

Duke Togo

I feel like the only person in the universe who uses M. Bison as my main....I'm basing this on the number of times I've played somebody who uses him....which would be zero.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I had to settle for the standard edition.. I was too late to pre-order the CE at EB Games.. Pinned my hopes on buying it at my job... Other employees snagged it :p

That's fine for now, but I still want the CE! What are the chances that this shows up again in later shipments? I know some CEs are totally rare (MGS3).. While some are still on store shelves 6+ months later (MGS4, GTA4, SC4) Who commissions a full length anime for an extremely rare item? I'm betting we see shipments of the CE later on.. But does anyone else have any thoughts or info on that?

MIMIC said:

Well you need to unlock all the characters minus the 3 bosses, I noticed Cammy wasn't on your list. You also need to go through arcade mode with a character you've already beat the game with, and the perfect/ultra prerequisites you listed might only apply if it's set on one round, any more than you might need more of each.

Got the game today, am really liking it though I'm not to sure why people are having issues with Seth, he's nowhere near as big a dick as Gill was. In fact as long as you don't give him a chance to piledrive you he's pretty simple.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wow..so I had unranked mathes enabled on arcade mode. I played like 20 matches...ONE PERSON wasnt either Ken, Ryu or Akuma. I main Ken, but I at least try to mix it up and almost never pick him more than once when playing one person.

Also, Zangief's alt outfit is so god damn awesome that I no longer hate him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Akim said:
Avatar update for my new main :x

BooThisMan.gif

;)

I've been using Cammy a bunch lately. She's a good counter to the ken/ryu/sagats. I just got the dizzy chick title and icon to, funny. The guy dropped after I wouldn't hit him while he was stunned. Humiliated and broken I assume.:D

CPS2

U K Narayan said:
Okay, I can SHORYUKEN -> EX FOCUS CANCEL. But how on earth do I go from EX FOCUS CANCEL -> ULTRA COMBO? (In this case, it would be Ryu's ULTRA.)

You guys are really helpful and awesome.

Keeping holding the focus attack, then dash forwards (or backwards if they're in the corner), ultra.

Having trouble with Rufus in challenge mode. I cannot figure out the timing on the 3rd challenge trial for the cancels.

I need to:

--> Heavy Punch
--> Heavy Galactic Tornado

Help.

Speaking of anime...

Is the quality of the Ties That Bind better than the intro and ending Animes in the game? It's seriously terrible... I was like...yo...this is like them shitty quality Dragon BallZ video tapes we used to get from China Town NYC.

Yeah...Seth is not too bad except for teleport shenanigans, SPD and the weird priority on that kick/lightning leg. His damage is so low.

Gill's angel wing super did like 50 percent. And his normal moves were silly too.

That's not to say Seth isn't difficult on Hardest. I'd hate to have to play him on Hardest with El Fuerte.

MrOctober

Banned
Let me just vent my frustration with the fucking ps3 controller. I'm playing people online (90 percent of them are Ryu, you fucking pussies) and i get my special moves to work maybe 60 percent of the time. I can't play defensively because I can't count on anything I do to actually work. And I cant play offensively because you can see what I'm going to do a mile ahead of time since it doesn't work the first 3 times I try it.

FUCK YOU PS3 CONTROLLER, FUCK YOU A MILLION TIMES!! I hate you with all my heart and I hate the way people who are not as good as me easily beat me online because you suck so much shit. I hope whoever decided to release the SF4 fight sticks AFTER the game comes out dies on their daughters wedding day. Fuck you.

Top Bottom