• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

braimuge

Banned
We in Yurop get this game today. I thought it was out yesterday and forgot about it, so I rushed to a late night store, only to see it listed for today :lol

JEKKI

whooooah~!! I figured out how the focus charging works!!

when you charge your focus attack, it also automatically does a down-back charge for you!!

so let's say you hold down focus for a half second, you have also held a down-back charge for half a sec, even if you left your joystick in a neutral position!!!

so with Blanka I would charge focus, let go, tap toward toward immediately to buffer the dash, then immediately hold down-back.

once the dash animation comes out and I recover, I would do crouching forward into fierce blanka ball. If from the moment you begin charging your focus to the point rite before you input the execution for the blanka ball is the sufficient amount of frames to authorize the move, it will come out!!

also tested this with E.Honda using the same combo (focus, dash, cr.mk, headbutt)

punkypine

x3n05 said:

I am the same. When I first really got into SFII it was on my SNES, Ryu felt like the natural choice so he's the one I stuck with. Skipping all of the other SF games until IV again I have gravitated to Ryu, I am still dabbling with ALL of the characters but Ryu is certainly my main. If that makes me a noob or a cheat or whatever you want to call it, so be it, at the end of the day I am having fun and that's all I care about. Viva la shoto I say :D

P.S. I always hated Ken though for some weird reason :lol
haha me too
i thought he looked like a tool and ryu looked badass

x3n05 said:

I am the same. When I first really got into SFII it was on my SNES, Ryu felt like the natural choice so he's the one I stuck with. Skipping all of the other SF games until IV again I have gravitated to Ryu, I am still dabbling with ALL of the characters but Ryu is certainly my main. If that makes me a noob or a cheat or whatever you want to call it, so be it, at the end of the day I am having fun and that's all I care about. Viva la shoto I say :D

P.S. I always hated Ken though for some weird reason :lol

I'm sure I can get over it, just irritating, I just need to get in local battles for a battle. I played Elena in 3rd strike and Sakura in Alpha 3 so it's natural for me to play them.

Finally unlocked gouken and seth tonight, played a few more matches against a buddy who just unlocked everyone but seth. Game is so damn addictive, my wife is not amused.

Checked my stats, I've won %66.66 of my games so far...

JEKKI said:

when you charge your focus attack, it also automatically does a down-back charge for you!!

so let's say you hold down focus for a half second, you have also held a down-back charge for half a sec, even if you left your joystick in a neutral position!!!

so with Blanka I would charge focus, let go, tap toward toward immediately to buffer the dash, then immediately hold down-back.

once the dash animation comes out and I recover, I would do crouching forward into fierce blanka ball. If from the moment you begin charging your focus to the point rite before you input the execution for the blanka ball is the sufficient amount of frames to authorize the move, it will come out!!

also tested this with E.Honda using the same combo (focus, dash, cr.mk, headbutt)
Welcome to two days ago. Population: You.

Just kidding. :lol

senahorse

HankScorpio said:
I'm sure I can get over it, just irritating, I just need to get in local battles for a battle. I played Elena in 3rd strike and Sakura in Alpha 3 so it's natural for me to play them.

Well for me the irritating part is I hardly ever win lol (partly because I am playing with a stick for the first time ever and it's taking a bit of getting used to). But I have found a friend that is an equal challenge for me so we are having a ball. And to be honest I usually pick random when we play as I like to get a feel for all the characters.

x3n05 said:
Well for me the irritating part is I hardly ever win lol (partly because I am playing with a stick for the first time ever and it's taking a bit of getting used to). But I have found a friend that is an equal challenge for me so we are having a ball. And to be honest I usually pick random when we play as I like to get a feel for all the characters.

haha see well there you go, my problem is i let my anger get the best of me in fighting games, i loose focus. I guess the more you play the more you learn :D

Jirotrom

JEKKI said:

thats awesome! must do this with guile...learning a lot of key stuff here.

senahorse

HankScorpio said:
haha see well there you go, my problem is i let my anger get the best of me in fighting games, i loose focus. I guess the more you play the more you learn :D

This happens to me more in single player than multi :lol. And you're right, the more you play, the more you learn...I am spending a fair bit of time in the training room atm.

DarkSloth

I managed to scounge up a massive 375bp (...well, it was a lot of work) and I was able to get into an 11 in a row losing streak. Went down to 80bp or so. I really do feel like crap now. I'm so sorry Fuerte! <3

Loving this a lot but there's a few things that I have been thinking about while I've been playing this week. It's not a lot of effort that has gone into the home version.

Sure they have added some extra fighters, but where are the extra stages for them? Even the arcade game lacks stages for all the chracters and I imagine that is the reason that fighters are not fixed to one stage in order to hide this fact. 2 stages are just night-time variations.

The intro / outro movies were just comissioned as part of the anime included with the special edition, buy all accounts it's not that good anyway. People have said that its at odds with the style of the game. It should have been ingame or at least rendered in the same style of the game.

Even the main games intro movie and unlockable movies that I have so far seen are just promo trailers for the arcade game, nothing new created there.

The trail and time attack easy to impliment, the traning mode also but it really lacks a demo of what you are supposed to do with each challenge, the CPU should show you once at least not just list the moves.

Online is great of course, but the arcade was wireless linked to other cabinets so the network code on the whole was developed for the arcade. That's why it's missing a spectator mode that would have been really great.

I've seen Capcom do this sort of game development at the start of a series twice before, Street Fighter Alpha and SNK vs Capcom. Both sequels to those games were all out, with bigger rosters, every character with thier own stage and generally everything the first games could have been. What Capcom have done with this is been very cautious with how much they invest on development. Enough to get by but not really as much as they could do becuase they still didn't have 100% confidence in this. Even the arcade did not see widespread distribution outside of Asia.

Now it's out, reception has been amazing from all the players and the press I can gaurantee that the sequel to this will be amazing and have much better features. I'm still a massive fan of this game, and it's great to see it back!

x3n05 said:
This happens to me more in single player than multi :lol. And you're right, the more you play, the more you learn...I am spending a fair bit of time in the training room atm.

I enjoy the trials more, gives you a goal and you learn at the same time.
DarkSloth said:
I managed to scounge up a massive 375bp (...well, it was a lot of work) and I was able to get into an 11 in a row losing streak. Went down to 80bp or so. I really do feel like crap now. I'm so sorry Fuerte! <3

believe I know, I was at 800bp now im at 398 or something lol.

ashism

dreamcastmaster said:
Online is great of course, but the arcade was wireless linked to other cabinets so the network code on the whole was developed for the arcade. That's why it's missing a spectator mode that would have been really great.
Wut?

outsidah

Loving the game so far as well.

I admit though that I am still in HDR mode when playing... havent quite got the SF4 crazyness going on full force.

About the Shoto hate... I just think it has to do with all of the scrubs playing Ryu/Ken over and over and over and over again that gets boring and tiring when you are constantly picking other characters... personally I dont like to have one "main" either.

and for the record I dont might fight as or against a shoto... just rather it be an exciting match rather than the usual scrubby shoto gameplay.

Jirotrom

dreamcastmaster said:
Loving this a lot but there's a few things that I have been thinking about while I've been playing this week. It's not a lot of effort that has gone into the home version.

Sure they have added some extra fighters, but where are the extra stages for them? Even the arcade game lacks stages for all the chracters and I imagine that is the reason that fighters are not fixed to one stage in order to hide this fact. 2 stages are just night-time variations.

The intro / outro movies were just comissioned as part of the anime included with the special edition, buy all accounts it's not that good anyway. People have said that its at odds with the style of the game. It should have been ingame or at least rendered in the same style of the game.

Even the main games intro movie and unlockable movies that I have so far seen are just promo trailers for the arcade game, nothing new created there.

The trail and time attack easy to impliment, the traning mode also but it really lacks a demo of what you are supposed to do with each challenge, the CPU should show you once at least not just list the moves.

I've seen Capcom do this sort of game development at the start of a series twice before, Street Fighter Alpha and SNK vs Capcom. Both sequels to those games were all out, with bigger rosters, every character with thier own stage and generally everything the first games could have been. What Capcom have done with this is been very cautious with how much they invest on development. Enough to get by but not really as much as they could do becuase they still didn't have 100% confidence in this. Even the arcade did not see widespread distribution outside of Asia.

Now it's out, reception has been amazing from all the players and the press I can gaurantee that the sequel to this will be amazing and have much better features. I'm still a massive fan of this game, and it's great to see it back!
isn't spectator mode, saved replay vids, new online matching and points system coming in a patch...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
GalacticAE said:
Has this dash invincibility already been discussed here? I think it was just discovered a few days ago. It's not roll canceling, but it's a start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wn7zUPreB8

It's not abusable in the least. If it was, it would have been prevalent in many, many, MANY videos that have been posted online. If Gief wants to backdash, that's fine, but two things need to be considered.

1. You need to be near psychic to backdash out of an attack.
2. It is very hard to do anything if you were even able to backdash out, unless you were looking for it.

In any event, even if you are expecting an attack, it doesn't mean you'll get out of it. If Gief wants to backdash to avoid say, Ryu's c.RH, he can. If he guesses wrong, he's either gonna get a hadoken, shinkuu hadoken, hurricane kick and god knows what else smacked into his face before he recovers.

dreamcastmaster said:

1. Challenge is a challenge, you don't need a demo. Figure it out. Sick of people wanting handholding. People bitch about Nintendo patenting something to include demo movies for people who want to solve puzzles, but all of a sudden want them so they can figure out a combo? Ridiculous.

2. Arcade version was never wirelessly linked, you are wrong. It was always linked via network cables.

blackadde

i'm pretty sure dash invincibility has been known about for a while. go ahead and try to abuse it if you think it breaks the game, let me know how ya do.

yeb

My only problem with shotos is that they're so boring. They all make the exact same mistakes over and over again - every other shoto makes the same mistakes they do, but they never seem to learn from each other. They play without thinking, and I beat them without thinking.

Anyway, I was mostly playing 'Gief at first, but today I began experimenting with some other characters. Gen's a blast, I love the learning curve. Rose, Rufus and Abel have also been added to my rotation.

GalacticAE said:
Has this dash invincibility already been discussed here? I think it was just discovered a few days ago. It's not roll canceling, but it's a start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wn7zUPreB8
I don't think it's new, actually. I first heard about it as a way to avoid meaty lv3 focus attacks.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Played some matches against GalacticAE, hes SOLID. We tried a bunch of characters and he knows his shit, specially Boxer, damn.

I held my ground some, but I got my ass thoroughly beat :lol Back to practice.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ryu is like, the most balanced character. He isn't super weak against anyone. I don't have SFIV yet, but in the other street fighters I've played this was the case. He doesn't seem to have a lot of matchups where he's at a significant disadvantage. If there's a good deal of distance between you and your opponent, why wouldn't you spam hadokens? Once the oppponent starts to close the gap it can get tricky, but if they're far away what the fuck else are you going to hit them with?

If you're good, you'll close the gap and stop the hadoken spamming. If you suck, you'll get hadoken ticked for the loss, and then complain about it on video game forums. I play Ryu in HDR and guess who my easiest opponent is? Ryu. Because it's so easy to predict what the other player is going to do. If you can get to medium/close distance and they're still hadoken spamming like crazy, they probably suck and should be easy to dismantle. The only people online that have complained about me hadoken spamming in HDR are people that I am destroying. Then again, I don't hadoken spam with most characters when they're in close to mid range unless they're obvious noobs, not to say that I'm anything amazing.

I'll see you all on SFIV next week.

-Ryu player

RedAssedApe

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I started reading some of the reviews and impressions of Cammy on SRK and my experience with her seems to be matching what they're saying over there. Cammy just doesn't have any safe moves. Hooligan Combo and the spinning backfist seem a bit too slow.

I think I'm going to have to shelve her for now until I get better with a stick.

You guys must have been spoiled by HD Remix Cammy. Her safe cannon drill annoyed the hell out of me when combined with her pokes and practically safe cannon spike.

MIMIC

Banned
I finally found someone who is just as good as me with Guile. I LOST the match and got an achievement (probably because it was so effing close)

Note to self: during Guile's sweeping motion, you can be hit between sweep #1 and sweep #2 :lol :(

Jirotrom said:
isn't spectator mode, saved replay vids, new online matching and points system coming in a patch...

I know extra features are being added by a patch but why was that not on the disc to start with? It's not like they only had a short time to port that game. The reason is they were restiricting the development costs. Only since it's become a hit have they started to do the patches and talk about adding T Hawk and Deejay.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone use Balrog's focus? It seems kinda crappy.

Also so far I still think TAP sucks (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Reasons I hate it

-Can't throw (this is the worst drawback, didn't have that problem in ST)
-Can't low hk (one of the best attacks)
-Can't low lk (important combo move)
-Seems overall a lot less effective than ST TAP. Only thing that might be better is it can pass through fireballs.

henhowc said:
You guys must have been spoiled by HD Remix Cammy. Her safe cannon drill annoyed the hell out of me when combined with her pokes and practically safe cannon spike.

you should play with me, you're perfect lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MIMIC said:
I finally found someone who is just as good as me with Guile. I LOST the match and got an achievement (probably because it was so effing close)

Note to self: during Guile's sweeping motion, you can be hit between sweep #1 and sweep #2 :lol :(
use MK if you don't think the HK sweep is a safe bet.

Raging Spaniard said:
Played some matches against GalacticAE, hes SOLID. We tried a bunch of characters and he knows his shit, specially Boxer, damn.

I held my ground some, but I got my ass thoroughly beat :lol Back to practice.

Hey, good games. Work on your links and you'll be golden. Let's play again sometime.

Just had a great long session with Mox. Starting to get in the habit of abusing focus attacks more, as well as getting comfortable with Sagat and Balrog in general.

Filter

henhowc said:
:lol 1/4 of this thread is just people whining about shotos

and the rest is people updating on when they are getting their packages shipped or asking about how to unlock characters.
thankfully more strategy talk is showing up now though.

PhatSaqs

Banned
henhowc said:
Considering how many other character have safe shit (Balrog anyone?) it really wouldnt have broken her to make at leash short drill recovery asap.

PhatSaqs said:
Considering how many other character have safe shit (Balrog anyone?) it really wouldnt have broken her to make at leash short drill recovery asap.

I don't know why people think she's broke though, the frame to block from a blocked spiral arrow, is cheese, that also includes her canon strike.

Jirotrom

dreamcastmaster said:
I know extra features are being added by a patch but why was that not on the disc to start with? It's not like they only had a short time to port that game. The reason is they were restiricting the development costs. Only since it's become a hit have they started to do the patches and talk about adding T Hawk and Deejay.
that p;atch was supposed to be here day one... it was preconceived.

Jirotrom

Ferrio said:
Anyone use Balrog's focus? It seems kinda crappy.

Also so far I still think TAP sucks (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Reasons I hate it

-Can't throw (this is the worst drawback, didn't have that problem in ST)
-Can't low hk (one of the best attacks)
-Can't low lk (important combo move)
-Seems overall a lot less effective than ST TAP. Only thing that might be better is it can pass through fireballs.
what is TAP?

Turn around punch.

I only use it when fighting shotos who try to zone with fireballs. Even then, very sparingly since it's pretty unsafe on block from what I can tell. Especially when it hits deep.

anyone else get more than 1 extra color for the costumes?

GalacticAE said:
Turn around punch.

I only use it when fighting shotos who try to zone with fireballs. Even then, very sparingly since it's pretty unsafe on block from what I can tell. Especially when it hits deep.

Cammy has the same thing, you need to time it just right. The window is pretty small.

Top Bottom