• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

"Do FADC's only use 2 ex bars if you cancel a super? Not if you just normally do it, right?"

FADCs use 2 EX bars if you *cancel a move with a focus attack*. Any move. If you're NOT canceling a move and just using a focus attack and dash canceling it then it doesn't take any meter at all.

Also, kara throws are ridiculously easy in this game.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Teknopathetic said:
FADCs use 2 EX bars if you *cancel a move with a focus attack*. Any move. If you're NOT canceling a move and just using a focus attack and dash canceling it then it doesn't take any meter at all.
Thanks. Also why do you never use the quote button? I've always wondered that. I await your non-quote buttoned response.

Wow, the online play in this game is really good. Very addictive. Not too much lag at all on my Wifi connection and it doesn't take too long to find an opponent. I am still learning about the new features and techniques, but I feel that I am holding my own with my traditional techniques. Cammy seems to be a beast in this game, wow.

Got the European CE this morning. I'm pretty disappointed with the packaging. The anime disc doesn't come in a seperate box, it's just stacked on the game disc. lazy, and at the pretty outrageous price, not good enough. :(

Oh well, I suppose the game is good, won't get to play it until later.

Momar

aka Ryder
Sinatar said:
Wow I figured all the HD remix I've been playing leading up to this would pay off.

How wrong I was, these games are soooo different. Gotta start from scratch I guess.

This to the max. I feel like I was hurting myself more than helping now. The timing just feels so different, bleh. Ah well, guess I'll just have to start from scratch again :(

`Moe Joe.

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Please someone help me.

Fei long and linking into his flying kick(the 3/4 circle one)

Any tips would be appreciated.

That kick is more trouble than it's worth. Although, it would be nice if someone could break it down.

Jackson

Jtrizzy said:
what is the optimal way to lay out the controller on the DS3?

I switch between Ken and Sagat, with Ken I need 3P, with Sagat I need 3K

I usually have:

R1 - 3P or 3K
R2 - Throw
L1 - LK or LP
L2 - LP or LK
Triangle - HP, Square - MP
O - HK, X - MK

I have a 70% win ratio online :) so I'm not too shabby.

Barrett2

So, does challenge mode require extra-precise controller motion to execute a move? I attempted my Ultra about 45 times before it would register. WTF?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what balrogs do to me:

2rxbpn6.gif

Jtrizzy

Jackson said:
I switch between Ken and Sagat, with Ken I need 3P, with Sagat I need 3K

I usually have:

R1 - 3P or 3K
R2 - Throw
L1 - LK or LP
L2 - LP or LK
Triangle - HP, Square - MP
O - HK, X - MK

I have a 70% win ratio online :) so I'm not too shabby.

I didn't even realize you could have a dedicated throw button. I thought it was lp+lk. Also if you use 3p during a match what is it? a hard punch?

lawblob said:
So, does challenge mode require extra-precise controller motion to execute a move? I attempted my Ultra about 45 times before it would register. WTF?
Nah, just make sure you're doing the motions genuinely. I can do that stuff with a DS3/DS2/Saturn pad rather easily, but then I've played on a pad for awhile since the SFII SNES days.

Jirotrom

Teknopathetic said:
"Do FADC's only use 2 ex bars if you cancel a super? Not if you just normally do it, right?"

Also, kara throws are ridiculously easy in this game.
whats a kara throw... and i still dont understand what TAP is

Jirotrom said:
whats a kara throw... and i still dont understand what TAP is
Kara throws are basically when you cancel a normal move into a throw, thus extending the range of the throw. For example, Ken's kara throw (which happens to be the most notable one) involves doing a forward + mk and immediately inputting the throw command.

Barrett2

donkey show said:
Nah, just make sure you're doing the motions genuinely. I can do that stuff with a DS3/DS2/Saturn pad rather easily, but then I've played on a pad for awhile since the SFII SNES days.

I was probably just tired last night while in Challenge mode, plus I just got my stick yesterday, so im' still getting used to it.

Its funny using the stick, one moment everything will seem easy to pull off and natural, but all the sudden I will realize im' new to using a stick, and my hands won't want to do even basic fireballs, etc. Guess it will just take a while to get accustomed to it.

magus

I suck at combos and can't seem to do very well even in training mode. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. How are you guys at combos on the dualshock 3?

Benson

I haven't really played a streetfighter game since SFII on the snes and I'm now woefully out of my depth! Most of this thread looks like nonsense talk to me :S

lawblob said:
I was probably just tired last night while in Challenge mode, plus I just got my stick yesterday, so im' still getting used to it.

Its funny using the stick, one moment everything will seem easy to pull off and natural, but all the sudden I will realize im' new to using a stick, and my hands won't want to do even basic fireballs, etc. Guess it will just take a while to get accustomed to it.
Pretty much. Since you're new to sticks, just keep it in your mind that you need to follow through all the time. You'll always tend to attempt to shortcut stuff in the heat of battle or not realize you're doing so. It just takes practice, but you'll get it eventually. SFIV makes it easier though since the inputs are rather forgiving.

One thing I hate about playing HDR before SFIV is confusing Gief's hand from the fireball motion to the shoryu motion as it has always been. Annoying. :lol

Matt_C

I just played arcade mode and I would of saved a bunch of hours disabling the "Here Comes a New Challenger" in single play mode. I met up with some cool fighters and I have better luck on PSN then all of my years on XBox LIVE. I have the game for both consoles and the Madcatz gamepad for both consoles. Nothing beats a semi Saturn inspired wireless controller. :D

Also, Seth is such the prefect end boss. He tests all of your skills and focus on trying to exploit Seth's 'cheapness'.

The game is just pure bliss. Ten fucking years was worth the wait. Now I await for my TE stick to come to Gamestop!

`Moe Joe. said:
I dunno if this is cheap, but I've had this happen twice now. Due to the slow match making, I just button mash the a button to find a match. I don't care if it's one round or 5 - I just want a game. But it's annoying to join a one rounder which goes for the shortest time to have one guy nail a hit then run around for 60 seconds like a baboon for the time to run out. Like damn, it's easy to finish them off, I have done before, but if you get unlucky and can't catch them in time, it's a kick in the balls.

I watch out for short one rounders from now on.
Uh, why don't you just go to custom match and set the rounds to 3 or 5 in the search options? Shoot, I think you can even set your global online settings to do that.

Also, I think the general competition is a little better on the 360 versus the PS3 online. Kinda expecting the opposite, but whatever. I'm still having a hell of a time. :D

donkey show said:
Uh, why don't you just go to custom match and set the rounds to 3 or 5 in the search options? Shoot, I think you can even set your global online settings to do that.

Also, I think the general competition is a little better on the 360 versus the PS3 online. Kinda expecting the opposite, but whatever. I'm still having a hell of a time. :D

You still haven't added me to your friends list T_T I need some non-Ken competition. I'd rather have fun than the easy BP.

So this is my first time in this thread..

What the hell at the main menu music...

I am awful at street fighter, but the game looks sweet.

Just installing it.

How do you punish blocked Blanka Ball and Honda Headbutt with Gief?

Man, I wish this game had an option to play on the 2nd player side like VF5 in single player modes.

G-Fex

I love abel so much, I think i'm actually getting better with him. My huge accomplishment tonight is that I beat arcade mode with him on medium difficulty. Amazing! I love his roll/grab. Too bad I'm spastic with buttons and always mess up his turn-around combos.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dabookerman said:
So this is my first time in this thread..

What the hell at the main menu music...

I am awful at street fighter, but the game looks sweet.

Just installing it.
best music ever mirite?! :D

ThatCrazyGuy said:
How do you punish blocked Blanka Ball and Honda Headbutt with Gief?

Man, I wish this game had an option to play on the 2nd player side like VF5 in single player modes.

have you tried banishing flat? It won't reach blanka in time but you could follow it with a sweep. Even if they block it, you can use it to get inside.

akachan ningen said:
You still haven't added me to your friends list T_T I need some non-Ken competition. I'd rather have fun than the easy BP.
Ah dude sorry about that. When I get home from work in the morning I'll add ya. And yeah, I'm definitely a non-Shoto player aside from messing around with Gouken here and there. Red Cyclone and Sham-WOW fo life!

have you tried banishing flat? It won't reach blanka in time but you could follow it with a sweep. Even if they block it, you can use it to get inside.
EX Hand > Lariat is also a good way of playing mind games plus keeping you safe from getting stuffed for a little bit. If anything, it'll trade which is better than nothing at all.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've been fiddling with Abel a lot and I can do relatively fine against Sagat. Ryu is a walk in the park, especially those that rely too heavily on his ultra.

Ken however is a different story, especially because most decent Ken players are always trying to get into your face. Whilst that sounds delightful on writing for Abel, the fact that his priorities are slower is not too fun.

akachan ningen said:

Ima try that. Turtle Hondas getting the best of me. Gotta work it out, haha.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TurtleSnatcher said:
Took me a weekend to get it.. now I pull em off with no effort.

I just hit 500 XBOX Live Matches and got the achievement!

I need a life..

I hit 200 matches last night while having gotten the game on Wednesday. All my friends said I have no life :lol

evil ways

A bit off topic, I know Ryu comes with the PS3 CE and Xbox360 got Viper, but what about Chun-Li, is she exclusive to a specific store cause I scored one of her figures at Toys R Us. It's the same size, style as the Ryu and Viper but comes packaged in a SF4 blister.

speedpop said:
I've been fiddling with Abel a lot and I can do relatively fine against Sagat. Ryu is a walk in the park, especially those that rely too heavily on his ultra.

Ken however is a different story, especially because most decent Ken players are always trying to get into your face. Whilst that sounds delightful on writing for Abel, the fact that his priorities are slower is not too fun.

What I love about fighting ryu in this game is that you can always jump over his ultra. In past games, if he had you on the ground and close, you would have to take the block damage. I don't know if his super has the same properties though. For one thing, after he throws the super, it has much less lag than the ultra.

Got the Playing to Win achievement :D . Was on a 13 win spree, I fought 2 Zangiefs and 11 Ryu / Kens. One of the Zangiefs DCd because he was TERRIBLE (Did NOTHING but Lariat, he must have thought I was a CPU or something lol).

just got the game and played my first rounds with ryu and ken and its amazing :D the only thing i didnt like was the frequent online opponents during acade play so i turned them off.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I just can't find the timing for Abel's Focus Attack + Command Throw :/ he never does the grab animation when i do it during the FA.

Huggers

Can anyone help me with help fighting Akuma online. Everytime people do that move where the screen goes black, some Kanji appears around the screen and then he beats the piss out of me in the dark. WTF. How do I counter this?

"Can anyone help me with help fighting Akuma online. Everytime people do that move where the screen goes black, some Kanji appears around the screen and then he beats the piss out of me in the dark. WTF. How do I counter this?"

Jump.

The Hug Dog said:
Can anyone help me with help fighting Akuma online. Everytime people do that move where the screen goes black, some Kanji appears around the screen and then he beats the piss out of me in the dark. WTF. How do I counter this?
jump over or use a projectile if they're dumb enough to use it at a good distance.

maniac-kun said:
just got the game and played my first rounds with ryu and ken and its amazing :D the only thing i didnt like was the frequent online opponents during acade play so i turned them off.
I did the same thing. I had 3 interruptions during my first match.
Got REAL annoying because I'm trying to unlock stuff.....

Neat option...but annoying.

Sandman42

Osaka said:
I just can't find the timing for Abel's Focus Attack + Command Throw :/ he never does the grab animation when i do it during the FA.
I spent 30 mins trying to do that, but still couldn't. :(

Can anyone help?

Top Bottom