• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Barrett2

DIRTY-D said:
I got 2 TE sticks in route to my work from FEDEX...should be here in 30 minutes..then it's mod time with 2 white bats, 2 octo gates, and 2 extention cords for some big 70 inch plasma game time.

Holy Shit!

"2. Uhh, what?"

In Street fighter, for special moves, letting up off a button counts as a button input. Try it. Hold down a button, do QCF, then let go of it when you get to forward.

"3. Not possible. I'm pressing only one button which is mapped to LP+MP+HP."

Rudimentary question but, are you sure you have your revenge gauge built up to at least half?

ElyrionX

Teknopathetic said:
"2. Uhh, what?"

In Street fighter, for special moves, letting up off a button counts as a button input. Try it. Hold down a button, do QCF, then let go of it when you get to forward.

Rudimentary question but, are you sure you have your revenge gauge built up to at least half?

2. Going to try that later but that makes sense, I guess.

3. I'm very sure since it's set to infinite in practice mode.

-PXG-

Sounds like you guys are having fun. I love it, I just wish I was better. I know I will improve as I play more. Just wish I had more time :(

The production quality of this game is fantastic. Mad props to Capcom.

Got the game last night, but I didn't have much time to play. Tried to play on Easy with Chun and realized I was trying to play her like HDR. I can't wait to put in some time and become IN-DE-STRUCTABLE.
sorry

Owensboro

Benson said:
I haven't really played a streetfighter game since SFII on the snes and I'm now woefully out of my depth! Most of this thread looks like nonsense talk to me :S

You and me both man. I really need a 101 class to catch me up on all these freaking acronyms. (I just figured out what FADC actually stands for, and I've been browsing this thread for a week). The Mycheats guide is nice, but some parts are still to overbearing. I think I can make it like halfway through a character page before I get completely lost.

ShinAmano

Teknopathetic said:

Wait...half? Are you telling me you can do Ultras halfway? Lol if that is the case i have been holding them like a winning hand since I got the game. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyone out there using Rufus online frequently? How is everything going for you?

Holy shit, what? Seriously? Wow, that would make a whole lot of things a bit easier. o_O

"Wait...half? Are you telling me you can do Ultras halfway? Lol if that is the case i have been holding them like a winning hand since I got the game."

Yep, once the revenge gauge turns red (half way) you can use it. It does less damage than with it full, though.

"3. I'm very sure since it's set to infinite in practice mode."

Then that's very weird. Unless you're trying to cancel something into the ultra? Which won't work (unless you're dan).

I feel really bad for Honda.

My opponent was the first non-Ken/Ryu I'd fought in 10 or so battles. He fought a good match and was on the cusp of winning but one blocked torpedo headbutt led to my Violent Buffalo and match over. :(

If he was going for the chip win, wouldn't HHS be better?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ronabo said:
I think it funny how I rarely ever have enough juice to do a Super move. I had the achievement for ULTRAS hours before the SUPER one.

I think the Super meter builds up to slow and the Ultra meter too fast.
The super bar fills up fine, it's just that letting it fill completely means not using EX moves, and EX moves are really useful.

Chorazin

Teknopathetic said:
"2. Uhh, what?"

Holy crap I never new that. That makes me so happy that I can charge Balrog's TAP and then turn it into an Ultra if I get the opportunity.

Teknopathetic said:

Yep...negative edge. This is what made the TURN PUNCH the best thing ever back in Turbo and Super Turbo SF2. It's the only way I am consistently nailing specials with my FS SE thusfar, too.

BobLoblaw

Banned
There's only one word that accurately describes this game for me: Glorious! I haven't had this much fun with a 2D fighter since SF2 back in '92 (sorry MvC 1/2). Everything just comes across perfectly. Timing's a little wiggy, but I can still pull off most of my techniques with Guile/Ken as I used to.

I've already put in like 15 hours over the last couple of days and will probably put in even more over the weekend. It's just a great feeling overall beating the hell out of people with combinations I used 17 years ago! :lol

Evlar

Banned
Randam_Hajile said:
Any tips for beating Seth with Bison? I'm having a bitch of a time.
I murdered his ass spamming Psycho Crushers and Double Knee Presses. He's the only character I've beaten Seth with no continues.

EDIT: I assume by Bison you mean Dictator.

"Holy crap I never new that. That makes me so happy that I can charge Balrog's TAP and then turn it into an Ultra if I get the opportunity."

Honestly, there's no reason to even take this risk with Balrog. He has one of the easiest combo into ultra (and one of the easiest to actually land in practice) in the game. crouching lp, crouching lp, crouching lk -> headbutt then do kick ultra. The link window on the crouching lk is super wide.

Evlar said:
I murdered his ass spamming Psycho Crushers and Double Knee Presses. He's the only character I've beaten Seth with no continues.

EDIT: I assume by Bison you mean Dictator.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Works well for the first round but his second round crap screws up my charges. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Tim said:
sf4hm1.jpg

We clocked 24 hours in 2 days, now if those goddamn sticks would arrive already I could actually start playing for real.

i have that same ikea tv stand your PS3 is on :lol

Won said:
:lol
Just some random online store here in Austria. He got them in yesterday, barely enough to fulfill preorders. Had 1 left for X360 and 3 for PS3. Grabbed the X360, better safe than sorry.^^
Today he is of course sold out.

Which online store? Gameware?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
GuessWho said:
i have the game on ps3, and just played it at my friends on his 360, and it definitely has cleaner look. 2xAA does wonders.
Did you use the system's controllers? If so, which did you prefer: PS3 or X360?

NeoUltima

I'm kind of disapointed with the stages in the game...or more specifically their music. I wish the stages had the character themes in them.

I mean, the only time I can hear Sakura's awesome theme is with her and Dan's rival match :(.

Kintaro

NeoUltima said:
I'm kind of disapointed with the stages in the game...or more specifically their music. I wish the stages had the character themes in them.

I mean, the only time I can hear Sakura's awesome theme is with her and Dan's rival match :(.

Most stages are pretty blah. I dig some though. Music is hit or miss. I never have time to care much while trying to win with Fuerte. :lol

Evlar

Banned
I've seen Balrog in the stage background before (standing in the open cargo door of the plane in Guile's stage). It happened the round immediately after I had defeated Balrog. Does this happen consistently with that stage and does it happen with any others?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Evlar said:
I've seen Balrog in the stage background before (standing in the open cargo door of the plane in Guile's stage). It happened the round immediately after I had defeated Balrog. Does this happen consistently with that stage and does it happen with any others?

seems to, he's trying to recover his lost fight money.

Evlar said:
If either character is Balrog on the African airfield stage, then Vega (Claw) appears inside the plane.

I wonder who appears if it's Balrog vs Vega?

Evlar

Banned
_dementia said:
If either character is Balrog on the African airfield stage, then Vega (Claw) appears inside the plane.

I wonder who appears if it's Balrog vs Vega?
I'd guess Cammy would be the next logical possibility? Worth trying.

NeoUltima said:

I'm not so much dissapointed with the stages or music (which I think are both quite good), but the fact that they're no longer linked to the characters. Fighting in certain stages with characters who just look outta place (like Blanka in Russia or El Fuerte in China) is weird when playing Arcade mode

I've beaten Arcade mode on medium with about half that characters so far, so I figured I'd add how I usually handle Seth.

With pretty much any character I get as far away from him as possible and just block. He'll spam sonic booms and stretchy arms, and you'll just have to wait it out, but eventually he'll wall kick and jump in. That wall kick lets you know he's coming and gives you more than enough time to do whatever that character's good anti-air move is, EX if it's a special move. If you have a character with projectiles, using an EX projectile every once in awhile is a good idea. If he is spamming sonic booms a LOT and you are getting behind on damage, try to move into medium range. He'll eventually try to suck you in, but be sure you're still blocking. If you are he'll normally follow this up with the stretchy arms, in which case you can't do much, or he'll just kick. If he kicks, after the block is your chance to fuck him up. You can just sweep him to be safe, or if your revenge meter is up its a good time to ultra him.

That's basically been my strategy for every character and for most I beat him in under 5 tries. Just be patient, stay far away, and punish his jump-ins.

AgentOtaku said:
I'm not so much dissapointed with the stages or music (which I think are both quite good), but the fact that they're no longer linked to the characters. Fighting in certain stages with characters who just look outta place (like Blanka in Russia or El Fuerte in China) is weird when playing Arcade mode

Yeah I like the stages, but I wish there were more character specific locations. The remixed character themes for the classic fighters are awesome though, especially cammy and kens. I like the Diner and Volcano stage music as far as the new stages.

What I also like though is the reaction of the environment/characters to the fight going on. So many little background touches, like the tanks firing at the end of a match in the SIN club stage.

:lol Hey, i'm trying to go through Ryu's challenge mode and it wants me to do a heavy punch followed by a hadoken - how do I link these? I can't seem to get it to register when I just do one straight after the other - am I supposed to be canceling the heavy punch with a focus attack, dashing out of the focus attack and then doing a hadoken? If so, how the hell am I supposed to input that so fast? I can dash cancel out of the focus attack barely 1/3 of the time, and when I do I keep accidently doing a shoryuken.

*edit, no worries - figured it out, d'oh - it was much easier than I was making it :lol

Evlar

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah I like the stages, but I wish there were more character specific locations. The remixed character themes for the classic fighters are awesome though, especially cammy and kens. I like the Diner and Volcano stage music as far as the new stages.

What I also like though is the reaction of the environment/characters to the fight going on. So many little background touches, like the tanks firing at the end of a match in the SIN club stage.
My favorite touch is knocking over all the barrels on the left side of the Brewery stage after you perform a powerful throw. The brewer flips out.

NeoUltima

Bootaaay said:
:lol Hey, i'm trying to go through Ryu's challenge mode and it wants me to do a heavy punch followed by a hadoken - how do I link these? I can't seem to get it to register when I just do one straight after the other - am I supposed to be canceling the heavy punch with a focus attack, dashing out of the focus attack and then doing a hadoken? If so, how the hell am I supposed to input that so fast? I can dash cancel out of the focus attack barely 1/3 of the time, and when I do I keep accidently doing a shoryuken.

*edit, no worries - figured it out, d'oh - it was much easier than I was making it :lol
I've been having the same exact problems, how did you do it?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Teknopathetic said:

Mind. Blown.

NeoUltima said:
I've been having the same exact problems, how did you do it?

:lol They teach this in SF 101. Do the QCF+P the very moment (frame) the punch connects.

Kintaro

Evlar said:
My favorite touch is knocking over all the barrels on the left side of the Brewery stage after you perform a powerful throw. The brewer flips out.

I like the China stage and watching old men fall over on their bikes. :lol

Man, I don't want to be at work... =(

BTW, after I was done playing last night, I noticed I got some invites to play. I apologize to those who sent invites. I was playing some ranked matches and never saw the notifications. =(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
GuessWho said:
what does that have anything to do with it?

he saw that you had played both and wondered if you had an opinion on the stock controllers.

DaCocoBrova said:
Mind. Blown.

seriously, years and years of unintentional combos finally make sense.

I practiced more and more with Balrog.... he is a total beast,
his combos need more thought process in application, through practice they are attainable.

people should resort to the Kick versions of his Super and Ultra for greater success (execute and hold the Super/Ultra with kick buttons......if you start it with a Punch button, you can always press and hold KICK afterwords to get the Uppercuts instead of Straights)

I played with Vega also and started using him Online,
the timing of his Links are the smoothest to execute and consistent than any of the other characters IMO.
His damage is really weak but if you play smart with him, you can win.
His long reach is a big ++ when doing links, normal cancels, and his Focus Attack is pretty good.

The Super/Ultra motion works best when roll from the df positon to the db position then selecting your up corner.

Do not do random Flip Kicks.. especially not Zangief LOL

Out of curiosity, can you program the 360 controller to make up for the fact that it's otherwise pretty much impossible to hit all three Punches or Kicks simultaneously (X, Y, and Bumper and A, B, and Bumper, right?), and if so, what button would it be, the trigger?

Does anyone know of a store in Toronto or the GTA that has the HRAP3 sticks and isnt price gouging? Some places I've checked have increased the price to almost double of what I've seen before. i want to go and grab one today.

Evlar

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Out of curiosity, can you program the 360 controller to make up for the fact that it's otherwise pretty much impossible to hit all three Punches or Kicks simultaneously (X, Y, and Bumper and A, B, and Bumper, right?), and if so, what button would it be, the trigger?
The PS3 controls have three punches and three kicks mapped to L1 and L2 by default. I would assume the 360 controller is similar- LT and LB.

gutter_trash said:
I practiced more and more with Balrog.... he is a total beast,
his combos need more thought process in application, through practice they are attainable.

people should resort to the Kick versions of his Super and Ultra for greater success (execute and hold the Super/Ultra with kick buttons......if you start it with a Punch button, you can always press and hold KICK afterwords to get the Uppercuts instead of Straights)

I played with Vega also and started using him Online,
the timing of his Links are the smoothest to execute and consistent than any of the other characters IMO.
His damage is really weak but if you play smart with him, you can win.
His long reach is a big ++ when doing links, normal cancels, and his Focus Attack is pretty good.

The Super/Ultra motion works best when roll from the df positon to the db position then selecting your up corner.

Do not do random Flip Kicks.. especially not Zangief LOL

Yeah Vega is pretty crazy in the right hands. Got my ass handed to me by a Vega last night

Darkman M

Just played about 10 or so ranked matches and my one lost came against a Honda player, played a nice Cammy but i edged it out, and i almost lost to an El fuerte player seriously i can't figure that guy out, the guy i was playing seemed really good if i had of had anyone but sagat i would have got owned.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm getting better and better at getting down my moves (The HRAP3 is helping with that immensely) and I'm even getting down when to use them (beat the crap out of some chump who just would not stop jumping in solely with Fuerte's Guacamole Throw) but I still don't know how to play defensively. 99% of my losses consist of me panicking as soon as I'm hit by some heavy chain and the opposing character just not letting up. Any general advice for knowing when to block/ when to run/when to jump/etc.?

Top Bottom