• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

BenjaminBirdie said:
Out of curiosity, can you program the 360 controller to make up for the fact that it's otherwise pretty much impossible to hit all three Punches or Kicks simultaneously (X, Y, and Bumper and A, B, and Bumper, right?), and if so, what button would it be, the trigger?
there are macros available in the conrol menu.. select costum and map one of the shoulders/bumpers to P+P+P or K+K+K or throw or focus attack

360 controller is a pain, I wish you lots of luck

bounchfx

Rektash said:
10th try on Seth on very easy - can t beat him, fuck you capcom :-/

that's the thing, it's fucking stupid

on EASIEST last night I lost like 5 times in a row.. it's every time you try to do anything but kick or punch non stop.. it's like they geared it against people that shouldn't be playing on that difficulty. every time I tried to do more complicated moves or combos he would instantly counter everything with a throw, and do that 5 times in a row. can't even do anything in between.. it's stupid as shit.

I just need to get more consistant at actually winning. Yeah, I too get panicked and my heart starts racing, which while this is a glorious feeling/high and reminds us why we play these games, it also really messes me up ...especially if I have Caffine in my system

Was playing an El Fuere this morning before heading to work and I totally had him to the point of him calling my Viper "...that bitch!" :lol
...but then I choked, got too empasioned and didn't hang back and stay defensive like I should. I felt guilty after this match because I KNOW I could have won it ...still beat him with my Ryu though

but yeah, always learnin

Ok, another scrub question - whats an EX Focus Attack? I now need to do a j.hk > c.hp > hadoken > ex focus - is it just canceling out of the hadoken with a focus attack?

bounchfx said:

on EASIEST last night I lost like 5 times in a row.. it's every time you try to do anything but kick or punch non stop.. it's like they geared it against people that shouldn't be playing on that difficulty. every time I tried to do more complicated moves or combos he would instantly counter everything with a throw, and do that 5 times in a row. can't even do anything in between.. it's stupid as shit.

Reminds me of SNK bosses like Rugal in that you can't really throw actual moves/combos at him, but you can simply defeat him with a sporadic FHK from someone like Joe Higashi or Iori as they gotta alotta range
So your actually winning for exploiting a cheap AI routine instead of actual skill...

"Ok, another scrub question - whats an EX Focus Attack? I now need to do a j.hk > c.hp > hadoken > ex focus - is it just canceling out of the hadoken with a focus attack?"

You got it. press MP+MK right as you throw the hadoken.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
The Street Fighter Anniversary Pads for PS2. do they work on the PS3 for this game?

if so, how do i do it?

most any psx -> usb converter. I have an old radio shack one, works fine. But the button mapping is wonky. Select and start are flipped and R1/L1 (heavy punch and kick) are flipped. Might take a moment to get the configuration right in the game.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
The Street Fighter Anniversary Pads for PS2. do they work on the PS3 for this game?

if so, how do i do it?
lagless adapters like the Pelican, inPin, and REAL

the Nubytech SF pads for PS2/Xbox are shit though

MIMIC

Banned
bounchfx said:

The last opponent (Seth) is definitely is a lot more difficult than what you have it set to. Additionally, I noticed that one of your opponents leading up to Seth is a lot harder than they're supposed to be, too.

I set it to hardest and breezed through the field. But once I got to Seth, I lost 4 or 5 times.

Rektash

Quick questions:

- What is personal action in character selection screen?
- How to unlock the alt costumes in the special edition ?
- Where is my Sakura alt costume ;_; ?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AgentOtaku said:
I just need to get more consistant at actually winning. Yeah, I too get panicked and my heart starts racing, which while this is a glorious feeling/high and reminds us why we play these games, it also really messes me up ...especially if I have Caffine in my system

Was playing an El Fuere this morning before heading to work and I totally had him to the point of him calling my Viper "...that bitch!" :lol
...but then I choked, got too empasioned and didn't hang back and stay defensive like I should. I felt guilty after this match because I KNOW I could have won it ...still beat him with my Ryu though

but yeah, always learnin

Yeah, this happens to me too. Countless losses due to not being able to stick to the plan and finish out the win. I get so mad too. :lol

Definitely can't wait to get home and try this thing Tekno dropped. Hope it helps the fuerte game. =O

Struct09

bounchfx said:

Seth is easy to cheese on easiest. Here's a tactic I use to never lose to him on easiset:

Jump kick him, duck and do a low kick, and then jump away. Repeat over and over until he's dead.

He doesn't typically block those, and by jumping away you stay away from his moves that pull you in.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Rektash said:
10th try on Seth on very easy - can t beat him, fuck you capcom :-/

On that note.

With El Fuerte on Normal. ONE TRY:lol

all i did was the FAJITA BUSTER(Quarter Circle/Punch. HP). Catch him once and keep doing it.

Its kinda of a glitch cuz it worked on Zangief and Sagat too.

Rektash said:
Quick questions:

- What is personal action in character selection screen?
- How to unlock the alt costumes in the special edition ?
- Where is my Sakura alt costume ;_; ?

-Personal action = taunt = press HP+HK neutral to taunt
-complete Challenge Time Attack Normal, Challenge Survival Normal
-beauty pack DLC next couple of weeks (I think it is next week)

Yeah, Seth's got an intial OMFGWTF!? shock factor when you first fight him. Then you fight him later on down the road, knowing his moveset and patterns and he isn't that daunting. Beat him this morning with Viper on easy in just 3 or so tries and unlocked Cammy...
It's just a very "reactive/defensive" fight like alotta the AI in the latter part of Arcade mode

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man, Im definitely choking online. Due to me freaking out and not sticking to my game plan Im missing out on some very winnable games against people with "high" bp

Ah well, guess Ive been playing the cpu for too long, real actual players are so much less predictable.

Won

Damn, have to relearn the game with the stick. I'm back at being completely destroyed by Seth. I can use all the special moves better than with the controller in training mode, but in actual combat I really miss having throw and focus always available at my thumb.

bounchfx said:

Seth seems always to be in hard mode or something. Really annoying. I already adapted some relly bad habits from playing against him. Not good. :(

Kintaro said:
Anyone out there using Rufus online frequently? How is everything going for you?

I've been maining him for the most part and it is an uphill battle when going against Dhalsim, Sagat, and Chun Li. Anyone with good reach can keep him under pressure. I have played almost 50 matches with him online and have won 66% of them so far. Most of my losses were against those 3 characters.

Anyone watch this completely yet?
I watched it for about 10 minutes while downing my morning joe ...didn't seem bad at all, but then again, I only have the SFA OVAs as a reference :lol

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I am amazed at how many people are having trouble with Seth. Even on hardest he's a total chump. In fact I think hes the easiest boss to defeat in any SF game I have ever played. Ive been hit with his Ultra ONE TIME, and Ive probably faced him at least 30 times now.

Pro-Tip - Dont jump at him cause he will either shoryuken, teleport, or if he blocks your attack youre getting spinning piledriver.

DihcarEM

Hey guys i got a jap sf4 for the ps3.
And i noticed that the beauty pack is already for sale in the jap store.
My question is can i use a network card and buy them from the jap store or will i be blocked anywhere?
I'm playing it on a PAL ps3.

ravien56

so playing as bison, a lot of his moves are charged attacks...does anyone know the exact time you gotta hold the charge? also, if your doing a move, can you begin to hold left on the controller pad so that when your move finishes, you can do another charge attack asap?

UnholySpectacle said:
I've been maining him for the most part and it is an uphill battle when going against Dhalsim, Sagat, and Chun Li. Anyone with good reach can keep him under pressure. I have played almost 50 matches with him online and have won 66% of them so far. Most of my losses were against those 3 characters.

Sim is a chump. Get in on him and it's over. Besides you got your own extendo attack that reaches across the screen, C.HP.

The real matchup from hell is Blanka. Your AA's seem to stop working, and his C.HP is murder on the big man.

I have the same record, 70% wins, and I got 50 of them (and the achievement) with the big man.

DihcarEM said:
Hey guys i got a jap sf4 for the ps3.
And i noticed that the beauty pack is already for sale in the jap store.
My question is can i use a network card and buy them from the jap store or will i be blocked anywhere?
I'm playing it on a PAL ps3.

Good question. I'm sitting on alot of Japanese 360 points and I'd like to know this as well, if I can just get the packs from Japan if it would work on my copy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BenjaminBirdie said:
For total scrub losers like myself, how are you finding matchmaking? Do you still end up against Total King Masters Who Scrape You?

Nah, usually people I fight have roughly the same BP as I do. Sometimes it pits you against someone with 1k BP, but when you beat them, you gain like 100+ from them.

As for actually playing online, I find it easier to turn on ranked matches, play the arcade mode (slowly finishing them with everyone for Seth) and you get challengers ALL THE TIME. :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Seth is a super joke on the easier difficulties.

HOW YOU BEAT SETH ON EASY SETTINGS:

• Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK

...I'm serious. The dude does not react as long as you time it so that you're hitting him just as he gets up.

kodt

Banned
mh56 said:
so playing as bison, a lot of his moves are charged attacks...does anyone know the exact time you gotta hold the charge? also, if your doing a move, can you begin to hold left on the controller pad so that when your move finishes, you can do another charge attack asap?

The original SF2 manual said 2 seconds I think and that is still the "official" time. But I think 1 second works.

ShinAmano

Arpharmd B said:
Sim is a chump. Get in on him and it's over. Besides you got your own extendo attack that reaches across the screen, C.HP.

The real matchup from hell is Blanka. Your AA's seem to stop working, and his C.HP is murder on the big man.

I have the same record, 70% wins, and I got 50 of them (and the achievement) with the big man.
You must not have played a good Dhalsim ;)

Kintaro said:
Nah, usually people I fight have roughly the same BP as I do. Sometimes it pits you against someone with 1k BP, but when you beat them, you gain like 100+ from them.

As for actually playing online, I find it easier to turn on ranked matches, play the arcade mode (slowly finishing them with everyone for Seth) and you get challengers ALL THE TIME. :D

I'll have to try this once I get more consistant at actually getting some wins under my belt...and getting over the whole "nerves" factor. Right now I'm just doing unranked quickmatches

Zeliard

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, Seth's got an intial OMFGWTF!? shock factor when you first fight him. Then you fight him later on down the road, knowing his moveset and patterns and he isn't that daunting. Beat him this morning with Viper on easy in just 3 or so tries and unlocked Cammy...
It's just a very "reactive" fight like alotta the AI in the latter part of Arcade mode

The problem with Seth is that he's very difficult to predict, even if you know his moves. His teleports, spinning piledrivers and sonic booms all happen instantly with no charge or anything whatsoever, and they can interrupt your Supers and Ultras. One time he SPD'd me in the middle of doing an Ultra with Balrog. Right before doing that last "say goodnight" uppercut Rog does at the end of it, Seth fucking picked me up, teleported to the top and piledrove my ass into the ground. That was on hardest difficulty, so maybe that's why.

mh56 said:

Yes, and you should take the habit of doing that every time. It's invaluable for charge characters.

And I believe you hold charge for one second.

Threi

notag
from what i read Seth is like SFA3 bison: hard if you actually try, but ultimately if you know his routine you can beat him with any character using one button.

ravien56

RubxQub said:

• Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK

...I'm serious. The dude does not react as long as you time it so that you're hitting him just as he gets up.

yea well I got everyone unlocked except seth, im just playing through everyone now to unlock him and one thing ive noticed is sometimes the computer just doesnt like you >_<. a lot of the time seth is no problem, but 1 out of 8 or so, seth gets cranked up to expert or some shit and no matter what i do, how cheap i am, he just keeps teleporting and throwing me...ps3 btw...add me bitches ravien56

Struct09

RubxQub said:

• Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK
  • Do a jumping HK
  • Do a crouching HK

Pretty much exactly what I recommended :p Haven't lost to him on easiest since using that tactic.

dankir

Raging Spaniard said:
Man, Im definitely choking online. Due to me freaking out and not sticking to my game plan Im missing out on some very winnable games against people with "high" bp

Ah well, guess Ive been playing the cpu for too long, real actual players are so much less predictable.

At least you can talk shit and say. That's my fucking artwork inside the case!

"You must not have played a good Dhalsim ;)"

Seriously. A dhalsim player who knows all about his air teleport mix ups and instant overhead j.fp (I think it's fp) madness is hell. Pure hell.

ArtOfLife

Neo Member
This might be a) incredibly obvious and b) answered already, but changing each individual character's voice to either English or Japanese; where and how do you do it? All I can find is a basic option to choose English or Japanese voices in the options menu; no option to select which for each and every character.

keanerie

Does anyone find that the game sets you up with much more skilled opponents when you're doing Arcade Mode fight requests than when you're searching via matchmaking?

Cause I was playing Arcade Mode and lost like four in a row, sent me into a massive slump.

ravien56

dankir said:
At least you can talk shit and say. That's my fucking artwork inside the case!
unless your in canada, we dont get that artwork in the case...i didnt even know artwork came inside the case till i joined gaf>_<

Won

ArtOfLife said:
This might be a) incredibly obvious and b) answered already, but changing each individual character's voice to either English or Japanese; where and how do you do it? All I can find is a basic option to choose English or Japanese voices in the options menu; no option to select which for each and every character.

You have to beat the arcade mode to unlock it.

Kewk

Banned
keanerie said:
Does anyone find that the game sets you up with much more skilled opponents when you're doing Arcade Mode fight requests than when you're searching via matchmaking?

Cause I was playing Arcade Mode and lost like four in a row, sent me into a massive slump.

I've never got a match via match making. It shows EVERYONE with no bars. If I go to arcade I get matches almost instantly.

Top Bottom