• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have yet to fight a single fight online against any character other than Ken/Ryu/Akuma.

not one.

DaCocoBrova said:
Playing with a headset is pointless. Unless my shit just stopped working, I have never heard anyone say anything in any of the matches I've played online w/ randoms.

Last night was strange though. People would challenge me and then immediately disconnect. They didn't have any signal strength bars though, so that might have been why.

I still throw my headset on and try to lighten the mood. Also pay alotta compliments....

outsidah said:
Ive seen ppl switch it up more on the 360 than the PS3. PS3 was pure Ryu/Ken.

I've been fortunate then as most people at some point may roll a Ken/Ryu, but they're also inclined to picked whoever for some etiquette points ....much respect

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Is there video of matches between the "best" current SF4 players? Should I be searching for a specific tournament if I look for vids on Youtube?

Well, most of the vids from the channels I posted are from tourney matches, so those are basically all top players to some extent.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
outsidah said:

Haven't played my 360 copy yet (trying to track down a stick for it...so it may be quite awhile) but that's interesting to hear.

MIMIC

Banned
Zeliard said:
Dunno how many Cammy ones there are, but there is a nice selection of various SFIV tourney and other high-level matches here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeInfinity

http://www.youtube.com/user/EventHubs

http://www.youtube.com/user/Min0ra

http://www.youtube.com/user/ultracarl

Nice. Thanks for those.

Also, can someone PLEASE tell me how to do Chun-Li's rising kick (seen at 0:44 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uwiV1FbHg). Or can you not do it in the console version?

Ridli

AgentOtaku said:
Anyone watch this completely yet?
I watched it for about 10 minutes while downing my morning joe ...didn't seem bad at all, but then again, I only have the SFA OVAs as a reference :lol

I watched the whole thing Wednesday night. It's.... pretty average really. If you have any interest in the story behind Street Fighter IV
lol
it's somewhat interesting because the anime takes place several months before the events of SFIV. So if you want to know what the BLECE project is or if you want to hear a little bit more about Abel and C. Viper, it's not a bad watch. There's also plenty of buddy talk between the characters that might appeal to long time fans.

A few things - there isn't a lot of fighting. There is maybe two and a half sequences that I would call a fight. It's mostly a lot of exposition. And, there is plenty of discussion about the Satsui no Hadou, which means you get a Ryu that smolders with generic rage.

However, I will say one thing to its credit - if you combine this anime with the cinematics from the SFIV game, it turns into a passable storyline.

I'm a big SF fan, so with the anime I don't feel that the CE was a cheat or anything. But I can imagine that if you were brand new to the series there really isn't anything in the anime that you would find compelling, and it's not like you can't look it up in some random wiki by now to get the plot summary.

diffusionx

Gold Member
outsidah said:

I played against some Balrogs, Dhalsims, E. Hondas, and one Rose even (that was a slow burn of a fight). YMMV I guess. I expect a lot of these Ryu/Ken characters to be out once KZ2 hits.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
yeah i have a friend that can play like that perfectly. what moves are there where you need to tap? that you cant do it regular?
Chun li's thunder thighs, honda 1000 hands, or whatever they're called nowadays, for example. But even some of the more regular combos, my thumb can't jump from one button to another as fast as they want me to.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I got a funny ragequitter last night. After he quit I messaged him "weak...". He responded with "Block Block Block. You block everything I do. How boring." :lol

How often are you running into ragequitters?

I fought a Zangief who knew his shit, punishing my Rog with SPD after every mistake I made. He easily took the first round. The second round I played it ultra safe and ending up winning with less than 10% health. Right then he just disconnected. WHAT THE HELL. He still had a good chance to take it.

On the plus side, he was only the second ragequitter I ran into. The first was a terrible Ken who I perfected on round 1.

Ridli said:
I watched the whole thing Wednesday night. It's.... pretty average really. If you have any interest in the story behind Street Fighter IV
lol
it's somewhat interesting because the anime takes place several months before the events of SFIV. So if you want to know what the BLECE project is or if you want to hear a little bit more about Abel and C. Viper, it's not a bad watch. There's also plenty of buddy talk between the characters that might appeal to long time fans.

A few things - there isn't a lot of fighting. There is maybe two and a half sequences that I would call a fight. It's mostly a lot of exposition. And, there is plenty of discussion about the Satsui no Hadou, which means you get a Ryu that smolders with generic rage.

However, I will say one thing to its credit - if you combine this anime with the cinematics from the SFIV game, it turns into a passable storyline.

I'm a big SF fan, so with the anime I don't feel that the CE was a cheat or anything. But I can imagine that if you were brand new to the series there really isn't anything in the anime that you would find compelling, and it's not like you can't look it up in some random wiki by now to get the plot summary.

Thanks for the nice summarization man. Yeah that's vibe I got from it was well. I certainly find the "story" that is there the most interesting in the series thus far though. Though Ryu's ending ends on a "...okay wtf!?" note

Zeliard

outsidah said:

I know a lot of people hate that, but it's so understandable. Ryu and Ken are basically the Street Fighter (and fighting games in general, to an extent) archetypes and have always been hugely popular. Almost every gamer knows how to do a fireball, and even some non-gamers are familiar with what a "fireball" in SF is. It's no surprise they are by far the most-used characters. I expect to see less Ryus and Kens as time goes on.

_dementia said:
How often are you running into ragequitters?

I fought a Zangief who knew his shit, punishing my Rog with SPD after every mistake I made. He easily took the first round. The second round I played it ultra safe and ending up winning with less than 10% health. Right then he just disconnected. WHAT THE HELL.

On the plus side, he was only the second ragequitter I ran into. The first was a terrible Ken who I perfected on round 1.

It's possible he was disconnected, especially if you still had another round to go. I beat a good Sagat player yesterday with Balrog, and it was really fun, so I wanted to play him again (and presumably he did as well). We started a rematch, but on the loading screen, my connection ended up timing out. It counted it as a loss. :(

too many punks out there man.

people quit when they're getting their asses whooped. Capcom MUST patch this to award the points upon disconnect if a round has been played. at least partial points.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dreams-Visions said:

people quit when they're getting their asses whooped. Capcom MUST patch this to award the points upon disconnect if a round has been played. at least partial points.

I also believe this was overlooked on their part. Hopefully fixed with the patch.

Dreams-Visions said:

HDR had the right idea awarding the win to the player left hanging.
My 100th ranked win in STHD was a disconnect and I unlocked the achievement :lol

y2dvd

Abel's last Hard Challenge combo is absurd! There's no way anyone is gonna be able to consistently pull that off online.

I haven't had too many quitters too. Just like _dementia, the first was a terrible Ken who I perfected on round 1.:lol I probably had 3 quitters so far.

ChrisGoldstein said:
What's that when they're glowing yellow in the moves?

Is that a focus attack done correctly?

lol
It's the EX version of a special.
Perform it by pressing two button instead of one.

lawblob said:
So currently is there no penalty for quitting a match?
Supposedly the quitter gets a loss, but the other player doesn't get a win.
There is no BP penalty or reward for either player.

Zeliard

_dementia said:
HDR had the right idea awarding the win to the player left hanging.
My 100th ranked win in STHD was a disconnect and I unlocked the achievement :lol

I wish they had a way of differentiating between a player quitting and a player's connection timing out, like some PC shooters do. Plenty of people will just quit, but fewer will unplug their cable modem or wireless adapter or whatnot when they're losing, especially if it's not in their immediate vicinity.

Saerk

MIMIC said:
Nice. Thanks for those.

Also, can someone PLEASE tell me how to do Chun-Li's rising kick (seen at 0:44 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uwiV1FbHg). Or can you not do it in the console version?

Link didnt work, but I'm thinking you are asking about her unique moves. She has a combo that goes something like towards + med kick -> m kick -> down up + m kick. That does a 2 kick combo launcher followed by a a rising kick sort of move.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
_dementia said:
It's the EX version of a special.
Perform it by pressing two button instead of one.

Supposedly the quitter gets a loss, but the other player doesn't get a win.
There is no BP penalty or reward for either player.

thanks I'm having a tough time with the game I hadn't played SF since the regular SF2 HF

I had three or four rage quitters last night. If I was mopping the floor with them within the first 30 seconds they would disconnect. I dont know how they expect to get better. What was really funny was my first quitter was a guy whose tag said "fighting master" or something similar. He was playing Sagat and I started destroying him with Rufus which tells me he was not good. Sagat is so strong against him I was expecting a tough match.

Fuck I cant wait to get home so I can play some more.

Jaruru

STRANGE SITUATION (Ultra vs. Ultra)

happened to me last nite, I was using Sagat, online player was using Sakura.
both Ultra meters were filled. I guess we both activated it around the same time?
camera zoomed in to me (Sagat), then camera zoomed in to Sakura :|
my Ultra went through, hit Sakura... then I thought, I beat hers by nano second? she wasted hers probably
after we landed, camera zoomed in to her AGAIN. and her Ultra started, I ate it this time.

happened to anyone? is this normal?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jaruru said:

both Ultra meters were filled. I guess we both activated it around the same time?
my Ultra went through, hit Sakura... then I thought, I beat hers by nano second? she wasted hers probably
after we landed, camera zoomed in to her AGAIN. and her Ultra started, I ate it this time.

sort of, happened to me against the computer, was playing as Fuerte, CPU did his ultra first, then I entered my ultra command while camera was zooming in on him. Mine overrode it it seemed, not sure. I remember an old trailer that had Fuerte doing the same against Zangief's ultra.

Kintaro said:
I also believe this was overlooked on their part. Hopefully fixed with the patch.
yea man. I've been quit on at least 7 times in matches. my C. Viper and Blanka are too much, yes...but still. take the ass-whoopin' like a man if you choose "Ranked".

iam220

Got the game a couple of days ago and love it thus far. What I fucking hate with a huge passion is this unlock-able character bullshit. I don't care to meet all the silly conditions in order to unlock all the characters, I got this shit for versus and netplay. I don't have nearly as much fun playing arcade, so don't make me fucking do it capcom! If you're going to include this crap in your game at least have the fucking courtesy to include a cheat code that will bypass this shit. /rant

Jaruru said:

this can happen. and I've found that the person who activates second wins the ultra battle. I assume, however, it still depends on the nature of the ultra.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
_dementia said:
I fought a Zangief who knew his shit, punishing my Rog with SPD after every mistake I made. He easily took the first round. The second round I played it ultra safe and ending up winning with less than 10% health. Right then he just disconnected. WHAT THE HELL. He still had a good chance to take it.

Alittle offtopic, but how do you "play it safe" against Zangief? I play Rog too and I'm not quite sure what to do against him. I have alittle trouble with Guile as well.

keanerie said:
Does anyone find that the game sets you up with much more skilled opponents when you're doing Arcade Mode fight requests than when you're searching via matchmaking?

Cause I was playing Arcade Mode and lost like four in a row, sent me into a massive slump.
the reverse for me, I actually managed my 10 ranked wins in a row trophy from this.
I was using Bison

ChrisGoldstein said:
I wouldnt mind paying some ms points to unlock everything.

Would not surprise me if they eventually did this. I have yet to unlock anyone and I hate seeing that question mark before a match because so far it always turns out to be Akuma who spams air fireballs and nothing else.

Pretty much my first decent amount of time with any SF.
Tad depressing, playing on easy is the only way I can actually win anything.

Still enjoying the challenge.

Jaruru said:

that happened to me last night, I was cammy VS a ken. We both had zero health after both ultras but he ended up winning (he must have had a tiny sliver I guess).

I lost while using Gen in Player vs his Ken,, the guy thought I sucked (i did with Gen), so he accepted Re-Match

so we Rematch, with my M.Bison vs his Ken... i beat him

so rematch again but this time my Vega vs Ken... I surprisingly did very well with Vega (I avoid spamming)

I am sad that I suck with Gen... oh well, atleast teh Shadoloo Kings are killer characters.. even if Vega is considered weak, he is tons of fun to play

Judderman said:
Alittle offtopic, but how do you "play it safe" against Zangief? I play Rog too and I'm not quite sure what to do against him. I have alittle trouble with Guile as well.
I'm not a great player by any means, I just turtled at a distance and didn't let him get close. If he would jump in I would headbutt and if he tried to close distace via Green hand i would block and punish with a throw. There were two times he whiffed SPDs because I just jumped straight up but that was just luck.

MIMIC said:
Haven't encountered any "rage quitters" so far. But yeah, the quitter should lose points.
as it has always been.

sometimes I feel like developers don't play their competitor's games. if they had, they'd understand the obvious importance of this counter to quitting.

MIMIC said:
Haven't encountered any "rage quitters" so far. But yeah, the quitter should lose points.
I KO'd a Ken via my Chun Li's ultra last night, the dude was trying to quit before he got a KO...it was hilarious :lol

I'm just gonna save quitter videos to upload when the Champion Edition patch comes out...put people on blast :lol

Edit: not that I'm any good myself...but I'll take my losses like a man =)

Zeliard

_dementia said:
I'm not a great player by any means, I just turtled at a distance and didn't let him get close. If he would jump in I would headbutt and if he tried to close distace via Green hand i would block and punish with a throw. There were two times he whiffed SPDs because I just jumped straight up but that was just luck.

Balrog's headbutt also beats Zangief's lariat, so if you got someone spamming that, you know what to do.

Top Bottom