• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Kewk said:
I've never got a match via match making. It shows EVERYONE with no bars. If I go to arcade I get matches almost instantly.
Are you talking about the blinking thing? Because every match with one of those has been lag free for me.

andymcc

Banned
ArtOfLife said:
This might be a) incredibly obvious and b) answered already, but changing each individual character's voice to either English or Japanese; where and how do you do it? All I can find is a basic option to choose English or Japanese voices in the options menu; no option to select which for each and every character.

i think the option has to be unlocked first.

Eh, now i'm trying to do j.hp > hk > shinku hadoken - am I supposed to be doing an EX Focus Attack cancelled into a dash to link the hk and shinku? I can't see any other way of doing it, but I can't pull it off either >.<

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Bootaaay said:
Eh, now i'm trying to do j.hp > hk > shinku hadoken - am I supposed to be doing an EX Focus Attack cancelled into a dash to link the hk and shinku? I can't see any other way of doing it, but I can't pull it off either >.<

no focus needed. Just gotta figure out the timing.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:
"You must not have played a good Dhalsim ;)"

Seriously. A dhalsim player who knows all about his air teleport mix ups and instant overhead j.fp (I think it's fp) madness is hell. Pure hell.

Too true. I fought this wicked Dhalsim yesterday in a really awesome fight. It's funny cause I never see him online, so to finally run into one being played by someone who knows what they're doing was a treat. I'm actually not running into 99% shotos online like a lot of others are, but I've only seen like one Dhalsim and one other Balrog. 'Rog especially should be getting more play - the guy is still a monster.

Zeliard said:
Too true. I fought this wicked Dhalsim yesterday in a really awesome fight. It's funny cause I never see him online, so to finally run into one being played by someone who knows what they're doing was a treat. I'm actually not running into 99% shotos online like a lot of others are, but I've only seen like one Dhalsim and one other Balrog. 'Rog especially should be getting more play - the guy is still a monster.
I rock Balrog exclusively for random ranked matches. I mained Urien and Q was my sub in 3S, so I was naturally attracted to Rog's chargey goodness.

ravien56

Kewk said:
I've never got a match via match making. It shows EVERYONE with no bars. If I go to arcade I get matches almost instantly.

yea on ps3, its kinda wonky with the flashing bar, but usually its lag free...but it always shows the results and takes like 2 or 3 tries to get a game going

Zeliard

_dementia said:
I rock Balrog exclusively for random ranked matches. I mained Urien and Q was my sub in 3S, so I was naturally attracted to Rog's chargey goodness.

How would you say Rog in IV compares to ST?

ShinAmano

Anyone wanting to play the non standard characters and is on the 360 I pick random all the time...and can handle with most (not counting the new guys yet) pretty well.

Ferrio

Banned
_dementia said:
I did not play much ST. Was he good?

He's great in IV

He was *really* good.

Thing is he's really good in this game too... but he's not in same way as I've observed. Rog in ST is kinda relentless pressure machine. Gets you in a corner and you just can't get out. In this game he's got some great damage, good combos and lots of options... but the complete constant beatdown seems to be gone.

edit: Also Barlog's throw in ST was insanely good. Not only did it do a shit load of damage, have great range... but it setup for some crossup and tick throw shenanigans.

Of course I've only played for 2 days.

ravien56

Ferrio said:
He was *really* good.

Thing is he's really good in this game too... but he's not in same way as I've observed. Rog in ST is kinda relentless pressure machine. Gets you in a corner and you just can't get out. In this game he's got some great damage, good combos and lots of options... but the complete constant beatdown seems to be gone.

Of course I've only played for 2 days.
i hated fighing balrog in sf2...ur in the corner and your done

_dementia said:
I played SFIV for about 15 minutes before work today.

Total mistake, I'll be thinking about it all day.

I played for about 20 minutes before going to work too but now I'm all irritable because Boxer kept on beating me on very hard by slim margins. I felt like throwing my stick out the window.

Jirotrom

donkey show said:
Kara throws are basically when you cancel a normal move into a throw, thus extending the range of the throw. For example, Ken's kara throw (which happens to be the most notable one) involves doing a forward + mk and immediately inputting the throw command.
thanks so much! is all this in the strat guide?

Rocwell

I haven't checked in with this thread since I got the game after work on Tuesday so this question might have been answered already but, is there a guide anywhere that shows what stages of the time attack/survival mode unlock new colors/personal actions? I'm liking the new challenge modes a lot; I really enjoyed the stage where they remove a lot of the gameplay system so it feels like Super Turbo and you fight through the original 12 World Warriors.

I spent a few hours breaking my hands on the dualshock trying to clear all of Ryu's trial challenges, but I did it! The jump hp > cr mp > cr hp > ex hurricane > ex dp > fadc > ultra combo was murder. I had a hard time getting the ex uppercut out and kept doing cr hp instead. Can't wait to go through it again with my TE stick when it arrives from frigging Amazon. :lol (My SE stick shipped yesterday, maybe I'll get it today:D)

I don't have a lot of experience fighting against human opponents(I put a lot of time into 3rd strike's arcade mode leading up to IV's release) so if you feel like taking on a trial mode scroto shrub glass cannon my psn id is Rocwell9

Zeliard

_dementia said:
Being a young whippersnapper, I did not play much ST. Hence my 3S comparison. Was he good?

He's great in IV.

He is great in IV, but Balrog was arguably the best legit character in ST, along with Dhalsim (and Old Sagat, if you really want).

Rog's power level in ST, especially, was absurd. I think the first thing they did for HD Remix (and IV) was tone down his damage output.

burgerdog

Brandon F said:
Anyone have any input on whether it's worth the HDD space to install on 360?

Doesn't make a difference at all, I think the loading during the VS match-up is hardcoded. I simply did it to reduce the noise.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, uh, noob question I guess but whatever; how do you do the ultra combos? I'm looking at Ryu's now, and I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do to use it (yes -- the meter's full) :S

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, uh, noob question I guess but whatever; how do you do the ultra combos? I'm looking at Ryu's now, and I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do to use it (yes -- the meter's full) :S
perform two quarter circle motion starting down and ending towards your opponent and immediately press all 3 punch buttons simultaneously

you have to perform this motion within a short window of time for it to count

ItsInMyVeins said:
( d, df, f ) x2, then press all punches (l, m and h). Something like that.
If you're using a pad, one of the shoulder buttons should be configured to all punches by default.

ItsInMyVeins said:

I'm having a really difficult time with this as well. I can pull off Supers okay, but I can't get any Ultras to activate... and yes, I'm doing the correct motion and then hitting all three kicks or punches at the same time. Maybe it's the Dual Shock 3, but I feel like I'm just missing something.

Because of my frustration with a stick ( i grew up playing street fighter on super nintendo) I decided to hunt down a fight pad. Sold out everywhere online, so i just started calling stores. Gamecrazy never even got them in my area, almost all gamestops didnt have them, but then i tried one last gamestop close to my work, and they had two of them left for ps3. So I asked for them to save me one, sped down there and picked up a ken fightpad. Got home and played for an hour, im still not great, but definetely way better and much more enjoyable with the fight pad. I was worried the controller would be broken out of the package, from what i had been reading, but so far it works great!

Oh for the love of pancakes, can someone please show/tell me the timing for Ryu's c.lk > c.lp > c.mk combo? I just can't time the final c.mk move properly and i've been trying for 20 minutes.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Got home and played for an hour, im still not great, but definetely way better and much more enjoyable with the fight pad.
I've always played with pads as well. The only thing that's annoying, is that SF wants you to tap buttons more quickly than i can with my thumb. I end up using the half-ass-retard-grip, with left hand normal, and right hand "upside down," if that makes any sense (so that my four fingers other than my thumb can do the tapping). That's the only reason i'd want to go ahead and move on to a stick.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Teknopathetic said:
"Oh for the love of pancakes, can someone please show/tell me the timing for Ryu's c.lk > c.lp > c.mk combo? I just can't time the final c.mk move properly and i've been trying for 20 minutes."

http://www.youtube.com/user/kalelulen4

It's not really something you can "tell," it's just going to take a bit to get it.

yeah, just keep changing up the timing until you get it right.

Jason

KoruptData said:
What page is that picture of the character select screen with nothing but Ken on it. Cant find it.

2vabe39ph6.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
I don't think I've ever played so many Kens in a row. 8 or 10 of em....just kept coming :lol Whooped every last one of them, though :D

Can't even get a match online. Either it says unable to play or full or some shit.

Why doesn'tit just select someone to play against automatically like every other fighting game. Fuck sake, what broken piece of shit.

Fistwell said:
I've always played with pads as well. The only thing that's annoying, is that SF wants you to tap buttons more quickly than i can with my thumb. I end up using the half-ass-retard-grip, with left hand normal, and right hand "upside down," if that makes any sense (so that my four fingers other than my thumb can do the tapping). That's the only reason i'd want to go ahead and move on to a stick.

yeah i have a friend that can play like that perfectly. what moves are there where you need to tap? that you cant do it regular?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Playing with a headset is pointless. Unless my shit just stopped working, I have never heard anyone say anything in any of the matches I've played online w/ randoms.

Last night was strange though. People would challenge me and then immediately disconnect. They didn't have any signal strength bars though, so that might have been why.

Barrett2

Is there video of matches between the "best" current SF4 players? Should I be searching for a specific tournament if I look for vids on Youtube?

Feral Youth said:
Can't even get a match online. Either it says unable to play or full or some shit.

Why doesn'tit just select someone to play against automatically like every other fighting game. Fuck sake, what broken piece of shit.
Host. It's faster.

Top Bottom