• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Zeliard said:
Balrog's headbutt also beats Zangief's lariat, so if you got someone spamming that, you know what to do.

Whenever I try to headbutt the lariat, I get hit. Maybe it has to do with the invincibility frames of the lariat...

outsidah

I definetly need to start learning all of what beats what in this game. I had a surprise yesterday when my psycho crusher was zapped by Blanka's electricity in this game :(

Rage quitters - yeah I've had some. The part when it gets to me is if they get me the first match and I come back with one of my stronger chracters they quit on me.... arghh!!!

With modern online competitive fighters nowadays I think a mode that should be included would be something like an 'invite-to-train' mode...invite a friend to simply just practice/spar on each other and learn together, in a laid-back, open, non-competitive environment and not worry about life bars, round time, etc. Edit: That option is there already in regular training mode, why not enable it online as well, y'know? Chat should be required at all times to allow open communication and all that good stuff. I'd think that would help people tremendously in getting their skills up to speed.

Barrett2

forgeforsaken said:
A setting for Arcade mode interrupt to be friends only.

A HD remix style lobby system for when playing with friends.

These would be fantastic.

I think tonight I will force myself to start learning a new player. I suspect if I continue to use Ryu online and for challenges, I will end up using him forever. Might as well broaden my horizons now before I am locked in to Ryu too heavily. I am thinking Balrog, Abel or Sagat.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So depressing to lose matches to people due to your panic setting in. I know I can beat these fools if I just play my own game. :(

Zeliard

Judderman said:
Whenever I try to headbutt the lariat, I get hit. Maybe it has to do with the invincibility frames of the lariat...

Hmmm.... I've always been successful when trying to headbutt a Zangief lariat, but it could be because I just managed to get in through the frames (I also haven't played too many Giefs yet). I know one tactic that works pretty well against the lariat with Balrog is low rushing, if you don't get too close.

Dreams-Visions said:
fun fact: every lobby system since DoA3 Ultimate / DoA4 has paled in comparison. dunno why.
I'm with you on DOA2U (I assume you mean DOA2U and not DOA3U), but not so much on DOA4. That whole meta game with your avatar and customizing your virtual space was a bit excessive imo.

Jaruru said:
STRANGE SITUATION (Ultra vs. Ultra)

happened to me last nite, I was using Sagat, online player was using Sakura.
both Ultra meters were filled. I guess we both activated it around the same time?
camera zoomed in to me (Sagat), then camera zoomed in to Sakura :|
my Ultra went through, hit Sakura... then I thought, I beat hers by nano second? she wasted hers probably
after we landed, camera zoomed in to her AGAIN. and her Ultra started, I ate it this time.

happened to anyone? is this normal?
Happened to me against the computer. Cammy vs Seth. Got mine in first, then it acted like his basically canceled mine even though I should have hit him before he started and I barely lost.

_dementia said:
I'm with you on DOA2U (I assume you mean DOA2U and not DOA3U), but not so much on DOA4. That whole meta game with your avatar and customizing your virtual space was a bit excessive imo.
oh yea. i forgot about the metaspace thing. but yea, DoA2:U was...perfect.

*sigh*

some 6 years later, and devs still can't even do EQUAL....much less better than.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ChrisGoldstein said:
I wouldnt mind paying some ms points to unlock everything.
I know how you feel. I have Seth down to a science but he STILL sucks the fun out of the game. Seriously, fuck that asshole.

Xater

forgeforsaken said:
Two things I want to see added.

A setting for Arcade mode interrupt to be friends only.

A HD remix style lobby system for when playing with friends.

That's coming with a patch.

Any word on when the championship edition patch is hitting? I once heard it was a day one patch, but that obviously didn't happen and haven't heard a solid date since.

Zeliard

Dreams-Visions said:
fun fact: every lobby system since DoA3 Ultimate / DoA4 has paled in comparison. dunno why.

It's amazing how some developers don't realize how critical a solid lobby system is. GTAIV's multiplayer would have probably been 10x more popular if it had a good one. It was so bad in that case that Rockstar felt compelled to release a .pdf file detailing exactly how to play online.

Future

Any word on which version (PS3 or 360) is offering the better online experience? Seems like a mixed bag for both unless you got lots of green bars

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
gutter_trash said:
I lost while using Gen in Player vs his Ken,, the guy thought I sucked (i did with Gen), so he accepted Re-Match

so we Rematch, with my M.Bison vs his Ken... i beat him

so rematch again but this time my Vega vs Ken... I surprisingly did very well with Vega (I avoid spamming)

I am sad that I suck with Gen... oh well, atleast teh Shadoloo Kings are killer characters.. even if Vega is considered weak, he is tons of fun to play
I played an amazing Gen the other day. Seems like he can be pretty beastly in the right hands.

Spy

Future said:
Any word on which version (PS3 or 360) is offering the better online experience? Seems like a mixed bag for both unless you got lots of green bars
I have the PS3 version and haven't had one laggy match. I've played tons of matches online too.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Aight, so I'm playing arcade and I'm getting pummeled, badly. On easy.

Anybody cares to give me some pointers? Right now I'm playing Crimson Viper, and man, Chun Li is blocking my ultimate (when I actually manage to get that one off) and hits me with some crazy super combo like two times per round.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Future said:
The one you have more friends on.

why is it that these fighting game devs. allways tend to put some stupidly overpowered guy at the end. it is simply no fun at all just frustration and i end up doing superlame moves to beat the endbosses (it happens to be a move were the boss falls backwards (low kick etc) in every fighting game). even on supereasy he beats the shit out of me :lol

maniac-kun said:
why is it that these fighting game devs. allways tend to put some stupidly overpowered guy at the end. it is simply no fun at all just frustration and i end up doing superlame moves to beat the endbosses (it happens to be a move were the boss falls backwards (low kick etc) in every fighting game).
it's a meme

AndresON777

shooting blanks
maniac-kun said:
why is it that these fighting game devs. allways tend to put some stupidly overpowered guy at the end. it is simply no fun at all just frustration and i end up doing superlame moves to beat the endbosses (it happens to be a move were the boss falls backwards (low kick etc) in every fighting game).

what sucks the most is that if you cant beat him and give up, you have to go thru all of the other guys again later just to get to him

The ultra against ultra bullshit has cost me matches.

Once I did Ryu's Ultra and then the computer did theirs. My fireball flew RIGHT FUCKING BY THEM as they proceeded to then pound me.

Another time, I was Balrog and I did my ultra. Then Sagat did his. After both Ultras started up, my Balrog makes first contact into Sagat (and thus should start pounding him), but the game acts like Sagat's invisible and my punch goes right through him, right until his tiger knee rips my face apart.

Really wish there was a way they could fix this, because it just doesn't seem right at all.

CartridgeBlower said:
The ultra against ultra bullshit has cost me matches.

Once I did Ryu's Ultra and then the computer did theirs. My fireball flew RIGHT FUCKING BY THEM as they proceeded to then pound me.

Another time, I was Balrog and I did my ultra. Then Sagat did his. After both Ultras started up, my Balrog makes first contact into Sagat (and thus should start pounding him), but the game acts like Sagat's invisible and my punch goes right through him, right until his tiger knee rips my face apart.

Really wish there was a way they could fix this, because it just doesn't seem right at all.

There's actually nothing wrong here. Ultras intentionally have invincibility on startup.
You can fix this by linking into the Ultra with other moves to ensure your opponent can't take advantage.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Zeliard said:
Replay Mode - Record, upload, and download top matches to share with the Street Fighter IV community. Players can analyze top tiered fighters matches, leave voter feedback for others, and share their own triumphant victories.

Can't wait for this.

Yeah this sounds cool.

I love to watch elite players go at it

Spasm

Xater said:
Tournament matchmaking...
The description doesn't really say anything about lobbies...

A fighting game without a lobby is like an FPS without co-op. Damn-near inexcusable this day and age.

Phthisis

ItsInMyVeins said:
Aight, so I'm playing arcade and I'm getting pummeled, badly. On easy.

Anybody cares to give me some pointers? Right now I'm playing Crimson Viper, and man, Chun Li is blocking my ultimate (when I actually manage to get that one off) and hits me with some crazy super combo like two times per round.

In my opinion, C. Viper is the hardest character to use in the game. She's really technical, and he game is based around doing a move to make people think you're going to be in one position and then canceling it out and doing something completely different. The one thing I don't like about her is that she takes more damage than anyone except Akuma. I highly suggest doing her Trial mode and mastering all the stuff they teach you in there or adapting it to your game somehow. Practice practice practice if you want to make her your main.

PhatSaqs

Banned
2132375097_view.jpg

As the pic shows the tournament mode does seem to have some sort of "lobby like" system but I doubt its what everyone is asking for (HDR like with spectating). Just getting a lobby with players waiting to play while the other players fight would be.....

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Phthisis said:
In my opinion, C. Viper is the hardest character to use in the game. She's really technical, and he game is based around doing a move to make people think you're going to be in one position and then canceling it out and doing something completely different. The one thing I don't like about her is that she takes more damage than anyone except Akuma. I highly suggest doing her Trial mode and mastering all the stuff they teach you in there or adapting it to your game somehow. Practice practice practice if you want to make her your main.
This is all true but it's also really satisfying to kick someone's ass with C. Viper. :D

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No one has been able to answer me yet:

Is there a "Display Hitboxes" mode in Training like in SF2 HDR?

kuYuri

Ugh, this game is reminding me why I hate using charge characters. I just can't do Chun Li's damn combos in Challenge mode. ;_;

Top Bottom