• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah her ultra is awesome.

too bad her fireballs take longer to come out, otherwise she'd be my main

She's been my main since SF2. The thing is, I don't fireball that much with Chun. If I need to block something I just Focus the fireball, cancel, repeat. When they notice I am already up their asses.

Also the Ultra is dangerous. Miss it, or if they block it, and you are screwed. Has happened to me so many times that I am wary of using it, though I only do it when i am certain like if I focus them, I can execute it cleanly.

I am also linking hits to my super. Yesterday I used the Backwards MK that sends them flying up and executed the Super as they fell. So, so, soooo awesome.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Spiderjericho said:
And the 3D nature of the game...

seems to affect the game's speed, floaty jumps and the footsies present from ST, A3 or TS.

Still an awesome game...but the shift to the third dimension has kind of shifted the emphasis of the SF game.

*nods head in complete agreement*

jdub03 said:
yeah the challenge mode requires super perfection. But every other move the inputs are super forgiving. So forgiving you do them when your not trying. Maybe they loosened up the inputs because of those godly combos. Either way I enjoyed the more strict input timing.

Yeah, the game is combo happy. The links are ridiculous. You can do combos with everyone. Where the "imbalance" comes in is that not everyone has a valid way to cancel into their ultra.

Also...I'm not a fan of the wakeup game. Sometimes your opponent seems to take way too long to recover from being knocked down. I can understand why Eggo said what he did...

Rektash

Its completly impossible to join quick matches for me. I don t know what capcom fucked up but it just doesn t work. 100% unable to join.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, working with El Fuerte online is tough. Can work magic for half the fight and a lucky fierce SRK can almost even up the match with one move. Frustrating to say the least. It's rough being a Lucha in a shoto world. Take more damage than Akuma and dish out three times less. :lol

fubarduck

Narcosis said:
I don't knowif it's just me trying to adjust or what, but it seems with this game's challenge mode I am finding it to be the most difficult to do of any fighting game ever. Specifically the level 3 cancel move training seems to require such superhuman speed on the inputs that it makes the similar mode in VF4 Evolution seem like kiddie stuff.
I also never recall being as inconsistent in my attack moves as I am with this game. Half my attempts at Ultras end up as some other attack, even when I cop out and use the 3 buttons in 1 command.

Street Fighter IV is a great game so far, but I'm finding it to be a case of them expecting perfection down to nanosecond level or you fail.
New fighting game commands can be frustrating at first, but having played every new fighting game for the past ten years, I can tell you that SF4 is absolutely the easiest and most forgiving in terms of timing for command inputs and combos. Dexterity is the nature of fighting games and I hope you don't get discouraged. Remember that there are tricks to make a lot of inputs easier, and if you spell out what you're having trouble with, a lot of people know how to help and can explain in plain English what you need to be doing instead.

orioto said:
I played the game online 1 hour today, with Ryu all the time. Each and every opponent took ken against me....

Is there a special guide that says Ken is the only one able to defeat Ryu ???? If at least they succeeded :D
God if I could play you online I would clean Ryu up with Ken. We enforced a "no Ken" rule when playing local.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ChrisGoldstein said:
Zangief's ultra is hard

The only way I was able to do it was to focus attack, cancel, dash forward and in that time do it

I cant do it during a match which is a shame since he's such a beast and spinning thru fireballs is awesome.

You can also try Green Glove>Ultra. Or any other move where you've got some sort of frame-advantage up close. Or maybe after you block an attack that leaves the opponent at a disadvantage. Basically, try substituting it wherever you could do a normal 360.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, the game is combo happy. The links are ridiculous. You can do combos with everyone. Where the "imbalance" comes in is that not everyone has a valid way to cancel into their ultra.

Also...I'm not a fan of the wakeup game. Sometimes your opponent seems to take way too long to recover from being knocked down. I can understand why Eggo said what he did...

What did he say exactly?

Kinda slow this morning. I'm sitting in arcade mode waitng for some matches but no dice. I guess thats to expected. Fuckers are still asleep or something.

Barrett2

God I am addicted to this game. I could barely pull myself away to go to this goddamn Bar Exam review. Going from extreme joy to extreme boredom on a Saturday morning is killing me. -_-

I had an awesome ranked match this morning, I was Abel and got wrecked by Gouken, then I switched to Ryu and made a glorious comeback. I came close to doing a dragon punch in my living room.

bob_arctor said:
*nods head in complete agreement*

Personally (small minority), but I like the gameplay in HD remix more. I just don't like the graphics or the online glitches.

SFIV is a 9/10. It "emulates" the SF feel into 3D. The presentation is great. And I'm happy Capcom gave us something new...

And god...survival is ridiculous. There are 20 survival trials on normal. I think I'm on the six and there's been 21 opponents so far...

There needs to be unlock DLC...

IMGP0442.jpg

Got the poster at GameCrazy, the framed art is from Blockbuster...

IMGP0440.jpg

bob_arctor said:
What did he say exactly?

Can't remember the page as this thread grows so quickly...but he posted on the release day that he didn't like it... I'd say it was more of an issue of him adjusting to it. But everyone quickly jumped on him for expressing his opinion. I can understand both sides. But I can see where he's coming from...considering how much of a big fan of ST he is (killer Dhalsim too)...and the comparisons between IV and ST...which might lead you to believe it's the second coming.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lawblob said:
God I am addicted to this game. I could barely pull myself away to go to this goddamn Bar Exam review. Going from extreme joy to extreme boredom on a Saturday morning is killing me. -_-

I had an awesome ranked match this morning, I was Abel and got wrecked by Gouken, then I switched to Ryu and made a glorious comeback. I came close to doing a dragon punch in my living room.

The game is so gratifying when you get a nice win.

My friend and I were passing arcade last night and when I beat seth with c viper's ultra I jumped up in the air like my favorite team had won the superbowl or something

so good

Man this game is awesome but the online offering is a turd. No quarter matches, no multiplayer lobbies. Idk if its like this for everyone else but I can create a ranked room and let it sit for 10 minutes and I won't get a match. You try to do the custom search and it takes 20 seconds to search only to bring up 5 results, 4 of which have 1 red connection bar and the other one always tells you "sorry cannot play". Or "game is full". And then you have to start the process all over. Quick search works a little better but even then 99% of the games you try to join give you the generic "cannot play" message or says its full. And even if the gamertag you see says full, it keeps bringing that game up every time you search. Most of the time you're really only left with one option because it only puts 3 options on the screen and over time you realize most of them aren't ones you can actually play.

And then when it actually works in quick search you have no idea what the connection will be like until the match starts. And then on top of that a good 1/4th of the time I am actually beating someone and it looks like I'll win, connection mysteriously drops. I have something like 105 ranked matches or something and I think I won 60. I should have probably 15 more wins but people quit.

Will the Championship Edition patch or whatever it is fix any of this? And I heard it won't make it to the US until Summer?

Spasm

ChrisGoldstein said:
Zangief's ultra is hard

The only way I was able to do it was to focus attack, cancel, dash forward and in that time do it
Jumping into his ultra is cake. Jump in, kick EARLY (so your kick whiffs, really throws opponents off), do the 360s while you're arcing through the air, and hit the buttons the instant you land. Follow this up with a single dash, into a flying power bomb for maximum lollage.

MGrant

Tendo said:
I'm tendo101 on PSN. What is a good character to start with? This is my first SF game. I was kind of digging Guile but it looks like only he only has the sonic boom and flash kick for special moves? I have no idea where to start as to what to use as anti air, what kicks to use when etc. where/who should i start with? I'll try anyone but Ryu or Ken. So played out haha.

Blanka. Easy-to-use charge character, electricity is useful and simple, and can slide under fireballs with down-forward + fierce punch.

MoxManiac said:
Spider! When are we going to play! :D

Are you still gaming on the PS3 only? I still don't have my PS3 copy. UPS tried to deliver it yesterday but I was wizorking.

I'll have it on Monday...so we can game on Tuesday.

I've been using the Fightpad on 360 and would prefer to use the Saturn pad.

Before anyone says anything...I have plenty sticks.

Seriously survival mode....

Ken Masters said:
who are you using against the Ken army?

Sakura. Yes, it's because I am a mouth-breathing weeaboo. Now that that is out of the way, let me say this: I've met very few people who actually know how to use him. I pretty much know how to counter all their attacks. WHat will happen is somebody will pick Guile, and I won't know what to do against him.

I have fought now:

5 Kens.
1 Ryu.

6 victories.

This is starting to piss me off. One guy picked Rose once, and kicked my ass hard. I hope I get some more diversity here.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Man, working with El Fuerte online is tough. Can work magic for half the fight and a lucky fierce SRK can almost even up the match with one move. Frustrating to say the least. It's rough being a Lucha in a shoto world. Take more damage than Akuma and dish out three times less. :lol

Gotta bait em into using it, then destroy them while they land. Just get up close to make them think you're going to set them up for a normal throw, focus, or habanero dash. When they miss, unleash spicy hell :D

Blanka's ultra is so awesome. Most people havent seen it and just think it goes straight up at the beginning...then BAM electric steamroller! :lol

scaffa

Tendo said:

I played some with Chun Li and I think she is a good char to start with and also fun to play with :) I don't really have a lot of problems with the moves and after playing some matches I'm beginning to understand the charge stuff a lot more.

Jirotrom

vas_a_morir said:
Sakura. Yes, it's because I am a mouth-breathing weeaboo. Now that that is out of the way, let me say this: I've met very few people who actually know how to use him. I pretty much know how to counter all their attacks. WHat will happen is somebody will pick Guile, and I won't know what to do against him.

I have fought now:

5 Kens.
1 Ryu.

6 victories.

This is starting to piss me off. One guy picked Rose once, and kicked my ass hard. I hope I get some more diversity here.
This is why I keep winning, I use Guile and no one does, so my win record is high :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Spiderjericho said:
Can't remember the page as this thread grows so quickly...but he posted on the release day that he didn't like it... I'd say it was more of an issue of him adjusting to it. But everyone quickly jumped on him for expressing his opinion. I can understand both sides. But I can see where he's coming from...considering how much of a big fan of ST he is (killer Dhalsim too)...and the comparisons between IV and ST...which might lead you to believe it's the second coming.

Yup, yup. I've voiced my issues somewhat carefully--from the obvious (some purely crappy bg's) to the sublime (why is this sooo slow?)--trying not to raise the ire of people, but I'm definitely with Eggo: pure 2D SF is still where its at, no question. And this is even after that initial adjustment period you mentioned.

IV is a fun game the way Marvel vs Capcom is fun to me--an over the top, goofy diversion from the tried and true good stuff. That said, it's gonna eat up all my online time for a looong while.

So i went into an EB today just to see if by chance they had received any extra TE sticks and i was informed they are still taking preorders because the sticks come out MARCH 5th 2009 in canada.....wow

Dartastic

I've been trying for ten minutes to get a ranked match. I still can't get one. When I can get on it works great, but when you can't get on at ALL.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rektash said:
Its completly impossible to join quick matches for me. I don t know what capcom fucked up but it just doesn t work. 100% unable to join.
I've been able to join ONE match using the custom or quick searches. Capcom really needs to fix this.

So tempted to buy this game and play it offline untill I get live again, saw it today for £35 new everywhere so it's a real good price to grab it at, mmmmm.

VaLiancY

Teknoman said:
Blanka's ultra is so awesome. Most people havent seen it and just think it goes straight up at the beginning...then BAM electric steamroller! :lol

:lol Yeah, My cousin decimated me with it yesterday.

"Ha, you missed me bitch!"
"Wait...WHAT?!"

And Abel is awesome btw, too bad I'm a scrub with him. I'll do some more training with him today.

Threi

notag
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I woke up and literally the first thought that entered my brain was "IN-D-structable!". The song has consumed me.....
"Indestructible" = The new "take you for a ride?"

VVV If I were to play as Abel what should I expect? Is he a grappler like gief (fuck gief btw) or does he play different?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
People pick Ken because HIS FACE is on the lobby background, its a subliminal thing.

Rektash

Anybody else got problems with creating a player match and no one joining ? I can wait for minutes and nothing happens (aka nobody joins)oO.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Can't get enough of the Abel love. He's been my main since day one. Haven't used anyone else online save 'Gief once to really teach a scrubby Ryu a lesson.

2800c

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bob_arctor said:
Can't get enough of the Abel love. He's been my main since day one. Haven't used anyone else online save 'Gief once to really teach a scrubby Ryu a lesson.

2800c

Yeah I really like him too, sometimes when Im struggling I tend to have tunnel vision and only do one move repeatedly ... but when I relax and use the full extent of his moves Ive been doing really well.

Threi said:
"Indestructible" = The new "take you for a ride?"

VVV If I were to play as Abel what should I expect? Is he a grappler like gief (fuck gief btw) or does he play different?

I find he has a nice depth to his range. You can easily link stupidly long combos with him that just massacre peoples health bars, he has the overhead Wheel kick that has big vertical and horizontal range (it's great for taking people trying to Dragon Punch all the time out), and his Ultra and Super Combos are devestating.

He's easily my favourite of the new characters.

Top Bottom