• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tr4nce said:
This is so weird. Yesterday I visited a friend of mine, and played SF4 there for the first time. Played a couple of matches, but when I played, I kind of got this underwelmed feeling. I thought 'this is it'? It also seems slower than the older Street Fighter games. I think I'm gonna regret having ordered this game. Or does the game grow on you? Man, I really feel disappointed, very weird. It's like it doesn't feel like my old street fighter anymore :(

Oh, most definitely. But it does grow on you once when you get past this and get used to the pace. Very, very fun game, no question. Just keep at it and you'll be fine. Very first day I was getting my ass kicked online cuz my timing was all off. Now, I'm eating shoto scrubs like candy.

Ledsen

Thrakier said:
I'm not sure if I got the combo gauge thing right:

- you got EX moves, always needs one piece of the gauge, press circle and triangle to activate it
- you got super combos when the gauge is full
- you got ultra combos when the ultra gauge is full

right?

Wrong. Pressing circle and triangle (I guess you mean medium punch and medium kick?) gives you a Focus Attack. It does NOT cost EX gauge. If you hold the buttons down the Focus Attack will be more powerful.

EX moves are more powerful versions of the special moves. They make your character flash yellow when you do the move and it will do more damage. To do an EX special move, do the move but use TWO punch/kick buttons instead of only one (not three like Nihilism posted). These cost one piece of the EX gauge.

Super and Ultras, that's accurate.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Got my copy today, came with a sleeve.
SDC10005.jpg

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gray-Okami said:
Did any1 finish the trial on normal with all characters?

I did last night in one go - went faster than I thought...

And now that I've done that as well as all of the Time Attacl and Survivals on all difficulties, I've begun to make my transition from joystick to arcade stick - spent an hour last night in training with it playing with Balrog, Ryu and Abel - it was tough, but it made a hell of an improvement being able to grab, or FADC at will - so damn good too...

And this was only with the Hori EX 2 stick even - I can feel how weak the buttons are now, seeing as I have some trouble with EX moves coming out instead of Ultras, and I know it's the sticks buttons because I hit them pretty hard and I have command inputs turned on as well...

I expect a hell of an improvement next week when that TE stick comes...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gray-Okami said:
i am having troubles with the joypad. can't do charge techniques and guile combo is nearly impossible.

Make sure to get in enough charge time - this was my biggest problem as I think that SFIV requires slightly more charge time than SFIII or Super Turbo...

Also, make sure that you make the extra effort to hit the diagonals for Guile's super - press them in real hard, and you'll get them out every time - I did, even on the 360 pad...

Struct09

SaitoH said:
You need to beat the game with Akuma, the play through with 2 perfects and 3 ultra finishes without continuing. Just got Gouken last night myself.

I finally got Gouken and that's what I did. I completed arcade with Akuma, then went back in with Bison to do the 2 perfects + 3 ultra finishes and there was Gouken.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The S-Word said:
man the sixaxis is seriously fucking my game up. sometimes i can get a move out and sometimes i can't, i need a different pad or a stick

If you're looking for a pad either get a SFIV fightpad or a saturn USB controller.

Wallach

bob_arctor said:
Now really, I love Abel but this is just silly: crouching FP>Ultra. :lol

You think that's silly, look at Gouken's back throw -> Ultra. That is absurd. You're going to see a lot of scrotos move on to Gouken once they have him unlocked, he is pretty stacked.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Finally I beat seth on medium. It was one of the sweetest moments of my life.

I couldnt believe the only character I could beat him with was c viper...her ultra is awesome.

Finished him off in the last round with an ultra too, sweetest achievement since test of faith.

SFIV is so awesome.

I cant wait till the sticks are available but this chun li pad will do for now.

JSnake

Getting my 360 copy later today. This'll be my first real SF game. Only played SF2 casually and very rarely at that. So if anyone needs a punching bag, my gamertag is Hexjackal.

Anyone getting logged out of the Playstation network with an error code? I was in middle of kicking someone's ass and got booted. This is the second time. What's the dealio?

Router said:
If you're looking for a pad either get a SFIV fightpad or a saturn USB controller.
yea i want a pad and a stick but at regular prices :lol it sucks though because i've learned FADCing, a bit about frames, i have my abel crossups and combos at a small level and i even have my timing down for these things. it just sucks online when im thiiiiiiiiiiissss close to winning and the wrong move comes out or my super/ultra doesnt come out

Issun23

Purchased the PS3 collector's edition. My first Street Fighter and my very first fighting game in general too (not counting licensed casual stuff). Totally overwhelmed by the presentation and gameplay, really really awesome stuff. I'm completely lost though, maybe I should look at some online guides for newbies. Seth hammered my Sakura five times in arcade on easiest mode. :lol

other than the dpad just sucking balls im really loving this game, i've lost probably 40 times and only won once. i got my abel up to speed on some things though so i should get better soon

gkryhewy

ChrisGoldstein said:
Finally I beat seth on medium. It was one of the sweetest moments of my life.

I couldnt believe the only character I could beat him with was c viper...her ultra is awesome.

Finished him off in the last round with an ultra too, sweetest achievement since test of faith.

SFIV is so awesome.

I cant wait till the sticks are available but this chun li pad will do for now.

See, I don't get this. I beat Seth on my first try on medium using Blanka, and I'm a total scrub. I can't even do any super or ultra moves. I'm also having a surprising amount of success online with him (player matches).

Well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts! :D

Wallach

The S-Word said:
other than the dpad just sucking balls im really loving this game, i've lost probably 40 times and only won once. i got my abel up to speed on some things though so i should get better soon

Abel is turning out to be my early favorite as well. His ->s.MK being DC'able on top of his roll and fairly safe wheel kick give him multiple ways to clear a lot of ground. Also having his c.FP two-hit combo into his ultra is very useful, as well as the c.MP being a free move into CoD.

CoilShot

So I just got the game and funny thing is Abel is turning out to be a favorite of mine. I'm kinda surprised because normally I don't like brawlers at all.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wallach said:
You think that's silly, look at Gouken's back throw -> Ultra. That is absurd. You're going to see a lot of scrotos move on to Gouken once they have him unlocked, he is pretty stacked.

:lol To be fair, you could throw with Remy in a corner in 3rd Strike and super afterwards. But still. Goofiest SF ever!!

wRATH2x

Banned
Finally got Akuma and Gouken.

I always loved playing as Akuma and heres the same,but Gouken is fucking awesome,I love playing him more than any other character.

Yes even better than Ryu.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, Viper is beyond my ability at this time :) I started fighting with Sagat instead and things are going much better. My only problem is that I have a very difficult time getting off the tiger knees when i want them online. Offline, I can do at will, but online, it's a chore. I cant' believe it's so impossible to find a stick to buy! Frustrating.

Nemesis_

MattyH said:
im loving this atm but i cant perform vegas super nor guiles
cant get the motion right
any tips
I find it quite an accomplishment that I can pull these off near flawlessly using the 360 D-Pad. :D

Are you charging the right directions? Cos that's where I was really fucking up. >_>

Basically you go:

Down-Back, Down-Forward - Down-Back - Up-Forward.

Does that make sense? >_>

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Zangief's ultra is hard

The only way I was able to do it was to focus attack, cancel, dash forward and in that time do it

I cant do it during a match which is a shame since he's such a beast and spinning thru fireballs is awesome

c viper kept on beating me when I was zangief though

harSon

Banned
So are the two versions identical in performance? I have a USB Saturn Controller on the way (Thank God I purchased one before selling out) and plan to pick up the Playstation 3 version once its' shipped. A lot of my friends are getting it for the 360 but I'm in no mood to track down one of those Madcatz controllers nor am I willing to drop an extended amount of cash for a joystick :p

MattyH

Nemesis556 said:
I find it quite an accomplishment that I can pull these off near flawlessly using the 360 D-Pad. :D

Are you charging the right directions? Cos that's where I was really fucking up. >_>

Basically you go:

Down-Back, Down-Forward - Down-Back - Up-Forward.

Does that make sense? >_>

sort of
how can you from down forward to down back without sliding to it

Ronabo

With all the questions from newbies on how to do some of these charge supers and ultras..... if I had a way to post video I'd make some vids showing how to do the movments on a pad.

Maybe someone else could take up the task.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh wow I've gotten 10X better with Chun after I discovered how to juggle with certain hits. Also, focus attacking has been working wonders against non-shoto characters.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Relix said:
Oh wow I've gotten 10X better with Chun after I discovered how to juggle with certain hits. Also, focus attacking has been working wonders against non-shoto characters.

Yeah her ultra is awesome.

too bad her fireballs take longer to come out, otherwise she'd be my main

Narcosis

I don't knowif it's just me trying to adjust or what, but it seems with this game's challenge mode I am finding it to be the most difficult to do of any fighting game ever. Specifically the level 3 cancel move training seems to require such superhuman speed on the inputs that it makes the similar mode in VF4 Evolution seem like kiddie stuff.
I also never recall being as inconsistent in my attack moves as I am with this game. Half my attempts at Ultras end up as some other attack, even when I cop out and use the 3 buttons in 1 command.

Street Fighter IV is a great game so far, but I'm finding it to be a case of them expecting perfection down to nanosecond level or you fail.

Tendo

Tendo said:
I'm tendo101 on PSN. What is a good character to start with? This is my first SF game. I was kind of digging Guile but it looks like only he only has the sonic boom and flash kick for special moves? I have no idea where to start as to what to use as anti air, what kicks to use when etc. where/who should i start with? I'll try anyone but Ryu or Ken. So played out haha.

anyone?

Ugh...the way you unlock the colors, titles and personal actions is whacked. I'm kind of bored of playing the computer...

And I think the difficulty in the challenge mode is all of the buttons you have to press...

They could've made the ultra combos easier like fierce and roundhouse...or...

jdub03

yeah the challenge mode requires super perfection. But every other move the inputs are super forgiving. So forgiving you do them when your not trying. Maybe they loosened up the inputs because of those godly combos. Either way I enjoyed the more strict input timing.

orioto

Good Art™
I played the game online 1 hour today, with Ryu all the time. Each and every opponent took ken against me....

Is there a special guide that says Ken is the only one able to defeat Ryu ???? If at least they succeeded :D

And the 3D nature of the game...

seems to affect the game's speed, floaty jumps and the footsies present from ST, A3 or TS.

Still an awesome game...but the shift to the third dimension has kind of shifted the emphasis of the SF game.

Top Bottom