• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

djkimothy

Thrakier said:
I don't know how to do a ultra combo with ryu...tried everything. The super combo is no problem though. The Training mode doesn't do a very good job in explaining those stuff. :( Can someone help me please?

Quarter circle forward X 2 + all three punch buttons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thrakier said:
I don't know how to do a ultra combo with ryu...tried everything. The super combo is no problem though. The Training mode doesn't do a very good job in explaining those stuff. :( Can someone help me please?
Do the same thing you do when you go to do a super, except hit the LB button after the two quarter circles instead (the three punch button, I assume it is either L1 or L2 on the PS3).

Chorazin

Thrakier said:

If you can do his super you can do his ultra, just hit all three punches instead of just one.

Balb

On another note, I'm trying to beat medium with every character. I don't have a problem beating Seth with most characters, but Dhalsim is giving me a lot of problems because of his slow jumping speed and his lack of a good aerial fierce kick. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Barrett2

FightyF said:
Who were you fighting as? He was playing Sagat the way he should be played.

I was playing as Abel, so yeah, I guess he was using Sagat appropriately, keeping me at a distance, but it was damn frustrating. :lol

hidepsyence said:
Man, i was trying to get Gouken, i did everything perfect and then at the last match, Seth kick my ars, fucj seth fuck seth, fuck, fuck, fuck
Oh god, that happened to me twice while i was trying to unlock Gouken. It sucks knowing you have to play the whole damn thing all over again.

ukiraros

djkimothy said:
I suck. I can't even beat Seth on medium. He gets so cheap after you beat him 1 round. :(

Screw you. :p

It's not as difficult as I thought. I won all the matches pretty easily. Heck I had a 13 win streak until I faced Akuma and lost.

I am tired of fighting Ken 2 out of 3 matches online, it's so damn boring. Out of the 23 matches I played 4 used different characters. They were Fei Long, Guile, Abel, and Zangief. The rest are shotos. If anyone is wandering I use Blanka.

ElyrionX

You know, reading around the web about character and move strategies, there's so many terminologies flying around that it's so easy to get lost. All of that is fine and all since there's obviously a need for terminalogy to simplify explanations but why the fuck is everyone using different move notations? Why can't everyone just use LP, MP, HP and LK, MK, HK? Why the fuck are RH (roundhone aka HK), FP (fierce punch aka HP), SK (short kick, aka LK) and a whole bunch of other crap being thrown into the mix?

EDIT: This is one of the worst offender I've found:

Ryu's standing HK, 2 + SK and LP and SP Dragon Punch make up his lethal anti-air game.

HK = heavy kick
2 = down
SK = short kick?
LP = light punch?
SP = short punch? or strong punch?

If you're going to be using notations, at least be consistent with them. If you're going to be using HK, then use LK and MK, not SK and FK. WTF.

scaffa

Oh man, this game is making me mad. Even on the difficulty setting lower then easy. Never played a SF game properly and to be honest they should have put some proper training in the game for newcomers.

I ready a lot of complaints about the online play and the overwhelming amount of "shoto" players. At first I could understand the complaint, fighting Ken or Ryu over and over again ain't fun but now I sorta see why there are a lot people that pick those chars to play with (easier to play/understand). So I don't know, I wanted to avoid playing them but I'm sorta forced to start out with them since the basics are a lot easier.

But nevertheless I love what they did to SF and certainly gonna play some more today. Glad I bought a stick since I can't even imagine how it would play with a normal gamepad.

Also, I hate Sagat :(

syllogism

Bootaaay said:
Fuck Seth, and while i'm ranting, fuck Capcom too. Where's the rule that says every fighting game must have a cheap piece of shit boss? And whose bright idea was it to lock all the characters, forcing you to beat said cheap piece of shit boss multiple times?
With most/all characters you can just cheese him with D+HK. You can just keep doing that as long as you don't go too close. I think I only tried it on easiest though.

Thrakier

This game is unbelievable hard. I can do all the special moves with Ryu and some combos but I don't get through it on easy, lossing against Sagath all the time. Is there something fundamental that I'm doing wrong? Like not using those EX moves enough and stuff like that? Maybe I didn't get the concept behind all that stuff. :(

zoukka

Thrakier said:
This game is unbelievable hard. I can do all the special moves with Ryu and some combos but I don't get through it on easy, lossing against Sagath all the time. Is there something fundamental that I'm doing wrong? Like not using those EX moves enough and stuff like that? Maybe I didn't get the concept behind all that stuff. :(

Like in every fighter, learn the good moves, priorities and maximum damage for punishing.

I guess :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
wow, seth is a piece of shit. I'm playing on easiest like every good soul would, trying to unlock these fools, but sometimes, like when I was playing sakura or abel he just goes bananas. Teleporting as if it was his idle animation. he's still very much beatable by just rushing him down early and staying in charge, but with some characters I just don't really know what I'm doing and must resort to sweeping all the time... :\

xt04

Neo Member
Thrakier said:

Actually to succeed in any SF its more important that you know the normal attacks rather than special moves. EX moves, supers and ultras are nice, but they dont matter if you dont know when to use them. Its just something that takes time, especially if you dont have a fighting game background.

Also learn to play with mulitple characters. Even if you dont use them as your main, it will help you know what might be coming.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, little update on the Fuerte game. In training mode, I'm starting to get the FP loop up to three hits. I don't feel comfortable enough to try it in ranked matches yet though. Online, my wins are going up as I learn Fuerte more. =) Guile still gives me fits though.

Thrakier

xt04 said:
Actually to succeed in any SF its more important that you know the normal attacks rather than special moves. EX moves, supers and ultras are nice, but they dont matter if you dont know when to use them. Its just something that takes time, especially if you dont have a fighting game background.

Also learn to play with mulitple characters. Even if you dont use them as your main, it will help you know what might be coming.

I'm not sure if I got the combo gauge thing right:

- you got EX moves, always needs one piece of the gauge, press circle and triangle to activate it
- you got super combos when the gauge is full
- you got ultra combos when the ultra gauge is full

right?

Meliorism

Thrakier said:
I'm not sure if I got the combo gauge thing right:

- you got EX moves, always needs one piece of the gauge, press circle and triangle to activate it
- you got super combos when the gauge is full
- you got ultra combos when the ultra gauge is full

right?

Triangle/Circle is for focus attacks on PS3 =Y/B on 360. EX moves are gonna be your special moves and the appropriate 3 punch or kick attached with the move.

Everything else is correct.

On another note, is anyone going to the Gamestop tournament thing today? Starts at 2, I believe. Apparently, they allow 64 entrants and there's only 1 Gamestop here in Lubbock participating. Kinda worried that I'm not gonna be able to enter.

Thrakier

Nihilism said:
Triangle/Circle is for focus attacks on PS3 =Y/B on 360. EX moves are gonna be your special moves and the appropriate 3 punch or kick attached with the move.

Hm, so I have to press triangle/circle and after this I have to do a special move!? I don't get why there isn't a tutorial in the game which explains everything and shows it to you...

Meliorism

Thrakier said:
Hm, so I have to press triangle/circle and after this I have to do a special move!? I don't get why there isn't a tutorial in the game which explains everything and shows it to you...

No, for the EX attacks if you have one bar available you're just doing the move and using the three punch or kick associated with the move in order to do it.

Ex. Shoryuken would be done with FQCF+3P.

Lumine

Ex moves can be done with just 2punch/kick buttons. Might be better seeing as hitting 3punches might get you to use your ultra when you don't want to. :p

Also the first few challenges on normal trial mode sort of function as a basic tutorial. Try it. :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
zoukka said:
The training mode sounds more like a "fuck you mode" by reading the comments here.

Training mode is fine. CHALLENGE MODE is where things get rough. But it's a challenge...so, you know. :D

Thrakier

Nihilism said:
No, for the EX attacks if you have one bar available you're just doing the move and using the three punch or kick associated with the move in order to do it.

Ex. Shoryuken would be done with FQCF+3P.

Sorry, I don't get it. :( FQCF? And three punch is pressing all three punch buttons?

bomb_jack

How do you unlock Gouken?

I've unlocked all the other characters. Played through Arcade as Akuma. Played through again getting 1 perfect and 2 Ultra Finishes. Still no dice.

GuessWho

Also annoying is when playing with friends, there should of been a custom setting for controller settings, people have different button placement and it's a bitch to keep having them switched all the time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Now really, I love Abel but this is just silly: crouching FP>Ultra. :lol

My favorite little combo of his is this though: cross-up MK, crouching FP>LK/MK Wheel Kick. Very pretty looking.

I downloaded the Brawler pack for no good reason. His alternate is pretty damn boring unfortunately.

Other tidbits:

Sakura is the best looking character. Dan and Rose are very close but Sakura's legs put her on top. ;-)

Vega/Claw is way too bulky and his roll looks like crap--all slow and deliberate. He should have been slimmer/leaner.

Dan's animations are incredible, especially his idle.

When does the next costume pack drop?

FightyF

Banned
lawblob said:
I was playing as Abel, so yeah, I guess he was using Sagat appropriately, keeping me at a distance, but it was damn frustrating. :lol

Yeah, a lot of these sorts of matchups are so new to me. :) I really loved playing "random" vs. "random" because of stuff like this. Did you try rolling over and over to get near him? But yeah I understand, you're trying out a new guy, whereas he's playing a guy we've all played for over 15 years. That puts you at a massive disadvantage to begin with.

C Jones

YakiSOBA said:
Can anyone give me tips on C.Viper's 2x seismic hammer? I can't get the second one to come out consistently :(
Are you doing this?
d, f, df + p --> at time Seismic hits opponent input df, df, u + p

Got that from this thread at Shoryuken. I got it out a few times last night in practice. I should have read the description better though - at the time I didn't realize the first had to hit the opponent.

Do you have any tips on the EX Seismo --> SJC --> Burning Kick combo? I have a hard time consistently getting that SJC --> Burning Kick out.

SaitoH

bomb_jack said:
Ultra finishers or can they just be any ultras?

You need to beat the game with Akuma, the play through with 2 perfects and 3 ultra finishes without continuing. Just got Gouken last night myself.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
riskVSreward said:
I hate to be "that guy" but it's the same as in ST. It just may have been less noticeable if you had the timing down and no one you played knew how to counter it.

Yes, you're right. Was ticking w/ Abel online no problem. It just seems slower to do in SF4 though. Timing is definitely different than ST when using a T. Hawk for example--perhaps because T.Hawks 360 is much quicker to start?

Tr4nce

This is so weird. Yesterday I visited a friend of mine, and played SF4 there for the first time. Played a couple of matches, but when I played, I kind of got this underwelmed feeling. I thought 'this is it'? It also seems slower than the older Street Fighter games. I think I'm gonna regret having ordered this game. Or does the game grow on you? Man, I really feel disappointed, very weird. It's like it doesn't feel like my old street fighter anymore :(

KoruptData said:
Out of 24 matches online today, I won 15 with......Vega!!!!

I have found my main. Im in the 600+ BP range now.

Vega is so quick, its easy to overwhelm players. Im sure panic sets in with all the crazy stuff he can do. Great thing is, I use his specials as a last resort. Play smart get in your attack, back out, back in, rinse repeat. His specials get you in close when you need to keep a distance an his variations of HK are brutal. I think when things are said and done, Vega will not be considered a bottom tier player anymore.
Vega will always be bottom tier.

He has no over head.. he loses his mask and claw like nothing. 2nd fastest easiest to stun (tied with other chars for this)

He just isn't that damn good.

I did get to 2000 BP with Vega though.

Top Bottom