• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Duke Togo

slayn said:
wow, just came across someone called OG_SiN who has a really nice Bison.
I've had Bison as my main for over 100 online matches, and I've yet to see another one. Its good to know they're out there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wonder if the absolute mass of shotos playing online is due to Capcom's inability to make characters as easy and fun to play as that type of fighter. I'm not dissing shotos, but I think it's an undeniable fact that they are the easiest and most fun type of character to play when getting into the game. I personally find Fuerte much more fun, but much more frustrating right now simply because of the sheer amount of work a player has to put in just to match what they can do with half that.

Just random thoughts going through my mind as I slowly go through Arcade mode with everyone.

Spasm

ThatCrazyGuy said:
But in K-Groove, there was a meter than ran down. There was tension of you flashing and the other guy knowing you had to rush down to get that super in before the meter ran out.

Also, I hate K Groove ;)
K-groove is the best, especially with 'Rog. You haven't lived till you've guard-crushed someone with a final turn-punch, right into another final turn-punch with your ass-glowing bright red (that's another thing Revenge is missing, damage bonus), that'll take HALF their life in a single hit. God I wish CVS2 was BC.

Ledsen

Feral Youth said:
I've had 6 of them today, out of 7 matches.

All wins for me.

Lovely.

I'm pretty good with Rose, especially against people who like to jump around a lot..

Ooooh! Some tips? I'm trying to get into Rose.

MrMephistoX

Originally Posted by Rektash:
Its completly impossible to join quick matches for me. I don t know what capcom fucked up but it just doesn t work. 100% unable to join.
I've been able to join ONE match using the custom or quick searches. Capcom really needs to fix this.

Turn on the auto-join feature and play single player it's sadly all too reliable ;)

Kintaro said:
I wonder if the absolute mass of shotos playing online is due to Capcom's inability to make characters as easy and fun to play as that type of fighter. I'm not dissing shotos, but I think it's an undeniable fact that they are the easiest and most fun type of character to play when getting into the game. I personally find Fuerte much more fun, but much more frustrating right now simply because of the sheer amount of work a player has to put in just to match what they can do with half that.

Just random thoughts going through my mind as I slowly go through Arcade mode with everyone.

I agree actually. I think "shoto clone" is their most well rounded character design in relation to gameplay options and how they are applied.

I think alot about a fighting game with no shotos in it and how the public would take it.

Zoe

Goddammit, I suck so much. I had a hard enough time beating C. Viper, now I can't catch a break with Seth
on easiest! :(

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
I'm still figuring out what type of spicy hell to unleash. Throwing them is easy, but my reaction to get the AA out is still slow and seems to miss.

Can you do his AA grab while running? Which would SERIOUSLY help Fuerte's game.

Not that I know of. Only time I pull that off is at the beginning of the match if they try for a jump in, or after a combo that launches them. That or if they think you're going to pull an ultra reversal, try to preempt you by jumping back, then you can catch em with an EX.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kintaro said:

But it's pretty satisfying to get "good" with the other, more difficult characters. I still plan to main Viper, but I won't lie that I'm having more fun with Sagat.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
:lol Some of you guys are ranking SF IV after playing it for a few days? Even if you played it for a couple of months in the arcade, theres no way youve figured out the game yet, guys. Even if youre awesome at it right now.

I think people play a lot of Ken and Ryu because theyre the constants, even in SF III at leats you could pick them and still feel familiar with the game. I think as people play the game more they will find newer characters to play with, right now online people wanna stick to what they know.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
finally got (my first) 2 wins... would have gone for the 3 wins achievement but my lunch got here

used guile vs kens/ryus/akumas/sagat. beat ryu and akuma. shoto's need to realize their tornado kick isn't safe when i am crouched with an EX bar waiting :lol

Kintaro said:

I agree. That's the thing I like about playing KOF 98 (or whichever iteration)... Ralph and Clark are fun characters. Shingo was cool. There were plenty of options.

But now that I think about it...eh...Chun Li is an easy character to play with...so is Guile...Blanka...

Shotos are easy characters to play with...but I think the mentality is...they're an easy way to get a win because of their tried and true play mechanics.

Personally, I've always main Ken or Ryu along with another character (HD Remix I use Blanka, Vega, Honda and Ryu...TS Ken, etc).

I just hate the 3D vs. Vega. His Izuna drop just feels off. And why did they make him lose his claw and mask so easy?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Kintaro said:

and blanka's not east and fun to play? I bite your face sir. Your FACE.

But honestly, I would say most of the cast is equally easy to play and the hard characters like fuetre, viper, and gen are the exception.

ezekial45

Banned
Anyone ever encounter players that keep you in the corner and on the ground with Focus Attacks? There was this asshole on PSN (quakeinator was his name. avoid him) that kept using focus attacks when ever i tried getting up. The only time i could counter it was when i had an ultra combo ready.

Any other way to get out of that situation?

Raging Spaniard said:
:lol Some of you guys are ranking SF IV after playing it for a few days? Even if you played it for a couple of months in the arcade, theres no way youve figured out the game yet, guys. Even if youre awesome at it right now.

We're just conversating... No one is discounting the quality of the game. And you're right...it's going to take time to see whether this game will stand in the pantheon of...

I have yet to play a versus match in this game yet.

So...can someone answer my question...can you share saves?

"Anyone ever encounter players that keep you in the corner and on the ground with Focus Attacks? There was this asshole on PSN (quakeinator was his name. avoid him) that kept using focus attacks when ever i tried getting up. The only time i could counter it was when i had an ultra combo ready.

Any other to get out of that situation?"

Throw him, jump straight up, get a reversal (all reversals break armor, IIRC), or use whatever special you have that breaks armor. Also quick stand (unless he's just crumpling you and let you fall to the ground or tripping you, you can't quick stand if you've been thrown, hit with a super/ultra, tripped/swept, or crumpled) by tapping down as you hit the ground, he won't have enough time to build up a level 3 focus attack.

That's actually a very simple situation to get out of.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
slayn said:
and blanka's not east and fun to play? I bite your face sir. Your FACE.

But honestly, I would say most of the cast is equally easy to play and the hard characters like fuetre, viper, and gen are the exception.

If he was, wouldn't we see more of him online? Granted, it's early, but Blanka has been around just as long as Ken/Ryu. :D

I'm not saying the rest of the main cast isn't easy to play, but as easy as Ryu and Ken? I don't think so. I'm not docking the game at all by the way. Just observing...as I fight for my life online. :lol

Did you try doing the instant knockdown recovery (a direction and two buttons before you hit the floor I think)? That way he'd only have time to do a level 1 focus, which you can block and possibly throw.

And I'd say Crimson Viper, El Fuerte, Dhalsim and Gen are definitely the most difficult characters to learn.

Zangief would probably be an intermediate character.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Raging Spaniard said:

For myself, I can already tell I prefer 3rd Strike and Super Turbo/Remix. Doesn't mean I won't play the shit outta IV though. *shrug*

I hope the online evens out pretty soon. When you get to around 1400BP you start getting like 22 points per match.

Capcom really needs to fix this "Unable to join" shit too. It's even worse than HDR.

Spiderjericho said:
I'm done. I can't play survival mode anymore. It's ridiculous. One of them had the computer able to generate revenge meter. I got ultra'd three times in a match.

I'm only on 12. And you have to at least clear 16 for the last color...

Is there a complete list of the unlockables? Going to search Gamefaqs.

If you want an easy way to get this done, just pick Zangief and spinning clothesline the computer all day. The only one this doesn't seem to work so well on is Cammy. Her cannon drills beat it and she reversal cannon spikes all the time, and of course her ultra.

Ronabo

Wooo! One and out @ Game Stop tourney.

It was run on a PS3 using Dual Shock 3's

All the practice on a stupid 360 pad all for not.

I went to best buy just now. they have 6 ps3 SFIV and 6 for 360 but there was a Collector's Edition just there. o.o should have bought it and put it on ebay.

ezekial45

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Anyone ever encounter players that keep you in the corner and on the ground with Focus Attacks? There was this asshole on PSN (quakeinator was his name. avoid him) that kept using focus attacks when ever i tried getting up. The only time i could counter it was when i had an ultra combo ready.

Any other to get out of that situation?"

Throw him, jump straight up, get a reversal (all reversals break armor, IIRC), or use whatever special you have that breaks armor. Also quick stand (unless he's just crumpling you and let you fall to the ground or tripping you, you can't quick stand if you've been thrown, hit with a super/ultra, tripped/swept, or crumpled) by tapping down as you hit the ground, he won't have enough time to build up a level 3 focus attack.

That's actually a very simple situation to get out of.

I'm still adjusting to the dual shock controls, so i wish it was that simple. It felt like i was stuck in a loop or something. I get up, he hits me with a focus attack, i get up, he hits me with a focus attack, and so on and so on. That was the only player i encounter doing that (he also set the game to 1 match, for easy BP i guess), but it's been bugging me for awhile.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Tiduz said:
20090220.jpg
so true. :'(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Volcynika said:
Man, fucking d/c players.

I owned this guy so hard the first round (he was Zangief) and he quit.

:/
you play Cammy? My Balrog would like to have a word with you tomorrow! I haven't forgotten the victory you stole from me in Wipeout :mad:

Threi

notag
Raging Spaniard said:

I think people play a lot of Ken and Ryu because theyre the constants, even in SF III at leats you could pick them and still feel familiar with the game. I think as people play the game more they will find newer characters to play with, right now online people wanna stick to what they know.
definitely.

in singleplayer, friendly matches with friends, and local online, i experiment with different characters. But in ranked matches i pretty much have to use Ken/Ryu or else I will get my ass kicked. When I get confident enough with other chars I will use them instead, but I have to learn them first, don't I?

Volcynika

Brobzoid said:
you play Cammy? My Balrog would like to have a word with you tomorrow! I haven't forgotten the victory you stole from me in Wipeout :mad:

:lol

I've never fought a Balrog online, so I'm not sure how to adapt to what he can do yet. :p

But sure!

Zeliard

Spiderjericho said:
Did you try doing the instant knockdown recovery (a direction and two buttons before you hit the floor I think)? That way he'd only have time to do a level 1 focus, which you can block and possibly throw.

And I'd say Crimson Viper, El Fuerte, Dhalsim and Gen are definitely the most difficult characters to learn.

Zangief would probably be an intermediate character.

What I really want to see are more Gens. I played a fucking awesome Gen yesterday (as Balrog), and there's nothing quite like it.

And that's the good thing about all the shoto players online - you know if you run into any other character, chances are the guy playing them is solid, since so many of the newer or unexperienced players are going with the "basic" characters. I recently fought a Dhalsim that was similar in awesomeness to that Gen fight.

I'm definitely not gonna complain about people picking shotos like Ken and Ryu, since it's the most natural thing in the world, but I will say that it's really damn fun to face other characters. If you have the opportunity to face a skilled Gen, take it up. It's good times.

I'll be playing more ranked matches in a few hours, but from what I played so far, I faced like 5 Kens, 2 Ryus, 1 Dhalsim, 2 Blankas, 2 Sakuras, 1 Sagat, 1 Akuma, and 1 El Fuerte. I beat most of them with Dan. I lost a match to a decent Blanka (haunts sent me an invite during the match so can say I was distracted as an excuse :lol). I lost another to a Ken because I was screwing around. Other than that I beat everyone else with almost no problems.

A couple of times I had to pull an ultra out of my ass on wakeup to go through Ryu's ultra and completely stuff Sakura's! :lol

vertopci

I fucking hate the Ultra inputs especially double QCF.

Been having trouble inputting that shit since SF3.

Volcynika said:
Four people in a row quitting on matches when I'm doing so well.

Yeesh.

Happened to me too. One was even so bold as to wait until he had 1/3 of his health left on the second round to quit :lol

Top Bottom