• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

bob_arctor said:
Yup, yup. I've voiced my issues somewhat carefully--from the obvious (some purely crappy bg's) to the sublime (why is this sooo slow?)--trying not to raise the ire of people, but I'm definitely with Eggo: pure 2D SF is still where its at, no question. And this is even after that initial adjustment period you mentioned.

IV is a fun game the way Marvel vs Capcom is fun to me--an over the top, goofy diversion from the tried and true good stuff. That said, it's gonna eat up all my online time for a looong while.

I'm going to give the game a chance...as I wasn't a huge fan of III when it was released...but it definitely grew on me.

But I do have a few issues with the game...the easy combos, the ultras, the floatyness, limited backgrounds, etc. I think Ono's mission of making the game accessible was a success. Ultras are an easy way to come back (if you land them or have a character with a move that can FADC into them) and the lack of mid range footsies, wakeups (because of the length of time it takes for the characters to get up), etc.

I'll probably bounce back and forth between this and HD remix though.

And I wouldn't classify as a fun diversion like MVC. I think the game can enjoy a nice scene. I just wouldn't rank it as high as Hyper, ST or TS. I do like it more than Alpha 3 when I started playing it.

Ledsen

Bumblebeetuna said:
Man this game is awesome but the online offering is a turd. No quarter matches, no multiplayer lobbies. Idk if its like this for everyone else but I can create a ranked room and let it sit for 10 minutes and I won't get a match. You try to do the custom search and it takes 20 seconds to search only to bring up 5 results, 4 of which have 1 red connection bar and the other one always tells you "sorry cannot play". Or "game is full". And then you have to start the process all over. Quick search works a little better but even then 99% of the games you try to join give you the generic "cannot play" message or says its full. And even if the gamertag you see says full, it keeps bringing that game up every time you search. Most of the time you're really only left with one option because it only puts 3 options on the screen and over time you realize most of them aren't ones you can actually play.

And then when it actually works in quick search you have no idea what the connection will be like until the match starts. And then on top of that a good 1/4th of the time I am actually beating someone and it looks like I'll win, connection mysteriously drops. I have something like 105 ranked matches or something and I think I won 60. I should have probably 15 more wins but people quit.

Will the Championship Edition patch or whatever it is fix any of this? And I heard it won't make it to the US until Summer?

Arcade Mode -> Requests on.

Jirotrom

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-4-Tournament-Edition-Stick-TE_W0QQitemZ120380600339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item120380600339&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Absolutely! Even the character select screen version gets stuck in my head....:D
I can feel it coming over me
I feel it all around me
I've been waiting for this moment
All my life, its my DES-TI-NYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

:lol :D

ChrisGoldstein said:
Put that 360 to good use.

I got my favorite band's 2 best cds playing so I dont notice this new age techno crap

lol
Luckily the PS3 version has custom soundtracks as well (just press the PS button and play what you like off the hard drive, doesn't work in online modes though).

Loving this damn game still! I normally main Ken but have been using more Guile and Sagat online because 80% of fights are against Ken. Already logged 24 hours odd since Thursday night and loved every minute apart from losing 100 odd points to a couple of guys in ranked I should have really beat, but still great times! :D

Ramune

Is anybody's local GameStop holding a SFIV tournament today? When I picked the game up on the 18th, they had flyers conveniently placed that were advertising it. I was telling the guy "Are they crazy?" Only 4 days after I get the game, there's no way I could master a character in that short amount of time, nor given my 2 hours a day (at most) to playing games in general. The prize is a yellow headband and black wrist bands, the prize for round 2 is a Xbox 360 Madcatz Fightpad, Round 3 is the Xbox 360 Tournament Ed. FightStick, and the Ultimate prize IS a Street Fighter IV Arcade Unit when you beat everybody. I might go and watch, but no way I'm entering as I'll just be a Shoto scrub. :lol

Jeez, my buddies and I suck hard at fighting games. Using the default 360 pads it took us 45 attempts using Ryu to beat Cammy in arcade mode on easiest. I can't imagine the hardest difficulties.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Spiderjericho said:
I'm going to give the game a chance...as I wasn't a huge fan of III when it was released...but it definitely grew on me.

But I do have a few issues with the game...the easy combos, the ultras, the floatyness, limited backgrounds, etc. I think Ono's mission of making the game accessible was a success. Ultras are an easy way to come back (if you land them or have a character with a move that can FADC into them) and the lack of mid range footsies, wakeups (because of the length of time it takes for the characters to get up), etc.

I'll probably bounce back and forth between this and HD remix though.

And I wouldn't classify as a fun diversion like MVC. I think the game can enjoy a nice scene. I just wouldn't rank it as high as Hyper, ST or TS. I do like it more than Alpha 3 when I started playing it.

It's almost as if you're reading my mind on this--except that 3rd Strike immediately clicked for me. On Alpha 3--I can agree with that but I still totally miss Karin. Also, this is the ultimate truth right here:

I think Ono's mission of making the game accessible was a success

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Spasm said:
Jumping into his ultra is cake. Jump in, kick EARLY (so your kick whiffs, really throws opponents off), do the 360s while you're arcing through the air, and hit the buttons the instant you land. Follow this up with a single dash, into a flying power bomb for maximum lollage.

Damn those are some good tips man thanks

Gief rocks

Jirotrom

bob_arctor said:
It's almost as if you're reading my mind on this--except that 3rd Strike immediately clicked for me. On Alpha 3--I can agree with that but I still totally miss Karin. Also, this is the ultimate truth right here:
to be honest I place this game right under SF2T. I'm really really liking this game, I think its easy at first to get in, but focus attacks and proper FADC is going to take some time to truly utilize. I believe thats where all the depth comes in.

I'm having trouble with Ryu's Level 4 Challenge 02/04. I do the Jump Heavy Punch -> Heavy Kick -> Shinku Hadoken, but everytime I do it the move resets before the hadoken hits Dan. I've done this five times now, can't do it even faster. It's not that he blocks the move, it hits him square - it just resets!

bob_arctor said:
It's almost as if you're reading my mind on this--except that 3rd Strike immediately clicked for me. On Alpha 3--I can agree with that except that I totally miss Karin. Also, this is the ultimate truth right here:

Oh no...I was referring to the original Street Fighter III released in the arcades in 1997 (Tekken 3 came out about the same time ish).

I thought the graphics were great...but I wasn't a fan of the system at first (which didn't really develop completely until Third Strike) or the "weird" characters.

Both IV and III follow completely opposite philosophies. III was trying to be "new" and take the fighting game genre in new directions. IV is trying to recapture the spirit of SFII while trying to make a game accessible to the population. When I say accessible...I mean in how the game doesn't have the same footsies, zoning, strict timing or combo system and has SNK like super death moves to help players come back from the brink of losing.

In a way it's fair...and it's not fair.

BTW...on paper A3 looked great. I just didn't like how it felt when I finally played and saw the juggles, V-ISMs, counter moves...characters not having all of their moves in every ISM...etc, etc. Though some players swear it's the best SF. Different strokes for different blokes.

And Survival...WTF...

bob_arctor said:
I think Ono's mission of making the game accessible was a success

This depends on what you mean by 'accessible' but:
I.... I'd have to kind of disagree. It's still really though. I want to keep improving, but those who are completely new to SF (the ones that I've spoken to or read thoughts of I mean) are still finding it tough.
I struggle to get through the arcade on easy (as in got as far as Seth with Chun-Li, got beaten over 20 ), nevermind normal.

I'm of course going to keep playing and trying to improve and understand the different systems but I wouldn't call the game accessible, it's actually kind of punishing.

P.S. Hope people don't hate me for saying/thinking this :-/, I really am loving the game (when not wishing I was dead after the 20th loss).

Zeouterlimits said:
This depends on what you mean by 'accessible' but:
I.... I'd have to kind of disagree. It's still really though. I want to keep improving, but those who are completely new to SF (the ones that I've spoken to or read thoughts of I mean) are still finding it tough.
I struggle to get through the arcade on easy (as in got as far as Seth with Chun-Li, got beaten over 20 ), nevermind normal.

I'm of course going to keep playing and trying to improve and understand the different systems but I wouldn't call the game accessible, it's actually kind of punishing.

Accessible shouldn't be confused with simple. The game of Street Fighter hasn't changed. What he did change was certain elements of how the game was played.

As I mentioned in my long post, the Ultras allow players to come back, the game of footsies is in the same time zone as ST or TS, combos are easier to create or link.

He didn't completely ignore the advanced players as FADC, kara cancels are present to help distinguish skill levels.

And the way the matchmaking system is supposed to work is it's supposed to match players to similar skill level.

This game isn't that complicated. I remember picking up MVC2...and was like holy WTF. With all of the pyrotechnics...I was completely overwhelmed...especially playing it against skilled players.

Raging Spaniard said:
People pick Ken because HIS FACE is on the lobby background, its a subliminal thing.

I've had 6 of them today, out of 7 matches.

All wins for me.

Lovely.

I'm pretty good with Rose, especially against people who like to jump around a lot..

Tendo

Thanks for the tips guys. I"ll try them out later. Anyone else pick up the ps3 Mad Catz pad and have problems with button presses not registering?

orioto

Good Art™
hey please, can you help me : in the trial, how can i chain the ryu focus and the solar plexus after that ? I can't make any combo after the focus and dash actually... I do the dash while the focus is done, but he just wait too long to hit after the dash.

ShinAmano said:
I can't lie I am disappointed in the rivals...how do most of them make sense...and why does Ken get no love?

I agree. The choices don't make much sense. But then again so doesn't the story.

And Abel's story...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknoman said:
Gotta bait em into using it, then destroy them while they land. Just get up close to make them think you're going to set them up for a normal throw, focus, or habanero dash. When they miss, unleash spicy hell :D

Blanka's ultra is so awesome. Most people havent seen it and just think it goes straight up at the beginning...then BAM electric steamroller! :lol

I'm still figuring out what type of spicy hell to unleash. Throwing them is easy, but my reaction to get the AA out is still slow and seems to miss.

Can you do his AA grab while running? Which would SERIOUSLY help Fuerte's game.

"hey please, can you help me : in the trial, how can i chain the ryu focus and the solar plexus after that ? I can't make any combo after the focus and dash actually... I do the dash while the focus is done, but he just wait too long to hit after the dash."

When you let go of mp+mk, do the dash immediately while the attack is still about to "attack" not after.

If that makes any sense.

Varth

vas_a_morir said:
Haha, it's another day.

4 fights.
4 Kens.
4 pwnage sessions.

Thanks for picking Ken.

LOL, same here. 1600 BP, all pure Ken/Ryu pulp, with a sprinkle of Sagat and Akuma. I've come to the point I take the time to thank personally anyone who offers me a different fight.

Jirotrom

Spiderjericho said:
I agree. The choices don't make much sense. But then again so doesn't the story.

And Abel's story...
the rival system is trash... I really want to be able to just play the old sf music as well... the only stae music i like is the one at Guile's stage.

Jirotrom

Varth said:
LOL, same here. 1600 BP, all pure Ken/Ryu pulp, with a sprinkle of Sagat and Akuma. I've come to the point I take the time to thank personally anyone who offers me a different fight.
stop doing quick fights, search for a match with players of your same skill or higher... you guys are farming, if you play folks of your same skill or higher, you wont be playing alot of Ken and Ryus, instead youll get zangief's and sagat, and other players.

You guys keep complaining yet you keep playing beginners.... who do you expect them to pick, ofcourse they'll play as ryu or ken.

Haha, it's another day.

4 fights.
4 Kens.
4 pwnage sessions.

Thanks for picking Ken.

:lol

Played it all morning, almost nothing but Kens and a few Sakuras and Akumas. When you fight against Ken opponents that much, you become very good at beating him.

orioto

Good Art™
Teknopathetic said:
When you let go of mp+mk, do the dash immediately while the attack is still about to "attack" not after.

If that makes any sense.

Yes, that's what i do, then he dashes right after the hit, but after that, the solar plexus arrives too late anyway...

Whoa...so this morning I was playing, and Viper seemed to click with me for the first time. Her game is a mixup game, like say...Guy's used to be in Alpha 3. Dashing in and thunder knuckling from c. lp/c. mp or jumping/high jumping and cancelling the trajectory by dropping on someone's head with short flame kick is awesome.

What other mixup-type things are good for her? Is anyone maining her? I want to find a way to effectively link into her super/ultra. I'm thinking it'll require me to bait people by feinting thunder knuckle or ground pound, but I can't get the timing for entering PP to stop it :-x

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Threi said:
"Indestructible" = The new "take you for a ride?"

"Take You For A Ride" is in the Hall of Fame for catchiness. Nothing will dethrone it.

That said, I bought EXILE's SF4 theme off iTunes yesterday. I need help.

orioto said:
Yes, that's what i do, then he dashes right after the hit, but after that, the solar plexus arrives too late anyway...

Are you using the level 2 focus attack? That should stun them long enough for the solar plexus.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Jirotrom said:
stop doing quick fights, search for a match with players of your same skill or higher... you guys are farming, if you play folks of your same skill or higher, you wont be playing alot of Ken and Ryus, instead youll get zangief's and sagat, and other players.

You guys keep complaining yet you keep playing beginners.... who do you expect them to pick, ofcourse they'll play as ryu or ken.
I only search for same skill or higher, and its still all ryu and ken. Granted, less so. Like... 75% instead of 90%, buts its still bad up past the 2000's

orioto

Good Art™
Spiderjericho said:
Are you using the level 2 focus attack? That should stun them long enough for the solar plexus.

Hooo.. i was trying with the faster focus... silly of me ! I try right away, thx !

Jirotrom

slayn said:
I only search for same skill or higher, and its still all ryu and ken. Granted, less so. Like... 75% instead of 90%, buts its still bad up past the 2000's
ps3 or 360, because I havent had that problem on 360, though I am not in the 2000 range, I'm in the thousands. I can honestly say that ryu and ken players don't pop up much at all unless their BP is low.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm on PSN with 2400 BP. Today I have fought something like 2 kens, 4 ryus, 1 sagat, and 1 cammy. And the cammy was a gaffer.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
66 BP! first fight, first victory. Silly shotos, you'll all fall before the might of my gloves.

don't take me seriously, I'm barely holding down as turtle boxer ;(

The only thing I don't like is how you get Ultra's. I am of the design mindset that you shouldn't get something like that for just getting hit a lot by your opponent. There should be no reward for getting smacked.

Maybe they should had put the normal supers as taking 2 meter stocks, and the ultra taking 3 meter stocks. That said, I do like the dynamic of having an Ultra ready, and having EX moves available to you. I just don't like how you get the Ultra in the first place.

As for the floaty feeling. My take is this. This is SF4, not SF2. Different games. I don't feel every game has to be like old SF2. You could just play SF2 for that SF2 feeling.

The wake up dynamics feel different than other SF's, but hey, it is a different game with different sub systems. It is just something new to get used too. I don't think it's worse, just different. I think most people are tech rolling, so people are automatically jumping over, and getting in your face quick. So the slow getting up can be a good mix up.

That said, the game is so new. We shall see how it pans out. I am just glad people are getting back into it. Maybe we can all play 3rd strike and alpha 3 now too :)

P.S.
I just saw a SFIV commercial during the CBS halftime show, awesome!

I'm done. I can't play survival mode anymore. It's ridiculous. One of them had the computer able to generate revenge meter. I got ultra'd three times in a match.

I'm only on 12. And you have to at least clear 16 for the last color...

Is there a complete list of the unlockables? Going to search Gamefaqs.

SLYspyda

Banned
So the majority of you people were crying when the intro song was released. I knew from the first time I heard it it was a damn good fit. How do you guys fill about it now?

Also, I can understand the need to FADC backwards when I miss a dragon punch with Ryu who is my main. But what instance would I need to FADC forward? I can easily do a 3-hit combo with the last move being a dragon punch into a super hadoken. If I can do that, I really need to DC out of the dragon punch.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
20090220.jpg

Spasm

ThatCrazyGuy said:
The only thing I don't like is how you get Ultra's. I am of the design mindset that you shouldn't get something like that for just getting hit a lot by your opponent. There should be no reward for getting smacked.
It's pretty much K-groove from the CVS series (my favorite). I dig it.

SLYspyda

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:

Maybe they should had put the normal supers as taking 2 meter stocks, and the ultra taking 3 meter stocks. That said, I do like the dynamic of having an Ultra ready, and having EX moves available to you. I just don't like how you get the Ultra in the first place.

As for the floaty feeling. My take is this. This is SF4, not SF2. Different games. I don't feel every game has to be like old SF2. You could just play SF2 for that SF2 feeling.

The wake up dynamics feel different than other SF's, but hey, it is a different game with different sub systems. It is just something new to get used too. I don't think it's worse, just different. I think most people are tech rolling, so people are automatically jumping over, and getting in your face quick. So the slow getting up can be a good mix up.

That said, the game is so new. We shall see how it pans out. I am just glad people are getting back into it. Maybe we can all play 3rd strike and alpha 3 now too :)

P.S.
I just saw a SFIV commercial during the CBS halftime show, awesome!

I like the Ultra meter. It keeps the matches even and will keep opponents on their toes. Like I know when I'm dishing a beating to a CPU especially that they could come at me with an Ultra at anytime so I can't mess up.

Spasm said:
It's pretty much K-groove from the CVS series (my favorite). I dig it.

But in K-Groove, there was a meter than ran down. There was tension of you flashing and the other guy knowing you had to rush down to get that super in before the meter ran out.

Also, I hate K Groove ;)

djkimothy

slayn said:
how do you unlock icons anyway. I have lots of titles, but only like 5% icons.

Just keep playing online.

Anyways, I have yet to face a Ryu or Ken today. What a surprise. Instead? I'm getting shit loads of akuma and sagat. I managed to own 1 akuma player with Chun-Li, but damn it, his ultra is practically unavoidable unless you jump out of the way. :/

Sagat players seem easy enough though.

My record is slightly getting better! 11/30. :p I was 1 win short of the 5 win in a row trophy. Garrrgh!

I'm gonna go unlock some heros now. I finally figured out how to kill Seth!
easiest difficulty setting. ;)

Top Bottom