• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Man, I had to work so hard to win with Sakura. You don't need any skill to win with these standard shoto assholes (although, you might consider Sakura that type, her lack of a good ranged attack makes her a totally different type of character)

A tip for fighting a better caliber of player.

Change your match settings to best out of 5.
I find a lot of scrubs play Best out of 3 since it's the default.

Plus, best of 5 is the better way to go when playing online since you're spending less time finding matches, and more time actually playing. That's why SSFIIHDRemix's default for ranked was BO5.

usea

sprocket said:
you guys realize when ever you pick ryu ken or even more so akuma everyone sees you as p******
Who gives a flying fuck? Is this street fighter or junior high? Why the fuck should somebody avoid picking X character because some idiots might think poorly of them? What a stupid fucking sentiment.

Apparently I play Abel. 2 weeks ago, I never considered him interesting even a little bit. But I blow with el fuerte, and abel is really fun. I'm on his Hard Trial Mode #3 atm. I'd never be able to do these with a pad. It takes some mad patience to not ragequit after failure #2000 on a combo haha.

Omar Ismail said:
A tip for fighting a better caliber of player.

Change your match settings to best out of 5.
I find a lot of scrubs play Best out of 3 since it's the default.

Plus, best of 5 is the better way to go when playing online since you're spending less time finding matches, and more time actually playing. That's why SSFIIHDRemix's default for ranked was BO5.

When you do this, do you also have the higher skill priority enabled?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RubxQub said:
I'm still having some trouble dealing with one shoto tactic, and that's the fireball spam to get you to jump at them, and then they just hit you with a SRK.

I can sneak in with an EX chicken wing or buy blocking the balls and dashing inbetween them, but for the most part I end up having to jump and there's the first.

I'll figure it out, but I'm starting to see more of these as I get more BP.

Are you "parrying" them with the FADC? And just be patient. Play their waiting game. If they spam and spam away, you just stand there and jump straight over those fireballs over and over till they give in. Between that you can press LP, crouch, throw out a kick--something to annoy them enough to move their asses or bait them to jump at you.

I did this a lot yesterday online except using Abel I can roll under 'em as well which really pissed spammers off.

On fireballs: does Chun's LK SBK go through them in the 1st frame like back in the day? Haven't checked yet...

Zeliard

RubxQub said:
I'm still having some trouble dealing with one shoto tactic, and that's the fireball spam to get you to jump at them, and then they just hit you with a SRK.

I can sneak in with an EX chicken wing or buy blocking the balls and dashing inbetween them, but for the most part I end up having to jump and there's the first.

I'll figure it out, but I'm starting to see more of these as I get more BP.

This is why I love Balrog's headbutt. It goes through projectiles and has enough range that you can often use it to dodge a fireball and hit the other guy all in one move. Either that, or it puts you close to them, so you can proceed to punish.

DoctorWho said:
I'm still getting my ass kicked by them though... :(. I'm hovering around 200BP in 20+ matches.

Haha I'm right there with you. I have used Akuma every now and then just to get some BP but I still get my ass rocked. I've started working with a few different characters - mainly Balrog and Vega, in hopes of redeeming myself.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Haha I'm right there with you. I have used Akuma every now and then just to get some BP but I still get my ass rocked. I've started working with a few different characters - mainly Balrog and Vega, in hopes of redeeming myself.

I'm going to stick with Cammy at this point. I'm killer with Ryu but I've always been killer with him so I can jump back to him if I need to. I'm starting to see some real progress with Cammy though. She is a beast... a sexy beast!

sprocket

Banned
usea said:
Who gives a flying fuck? Is this street fighter or junior high? Why the fuck should somebody avoid picking X character because some idiots might think poorly of them? What a stupid fucking sentiment.

I do because im not getting more experience fighting any other fighters. I play those three spamming fireballs and dragon punches so much that someone with E honda comes in and I have no idea how to fight him.

RedAssedApe

Banned
sprocket said:
you guys realize when ever you pick ryu ken or even more so akuma everyone sees you as p******

You realize that whenever you complain about someone picking a shoto, anyone who is at least decent at the game just laughs at you? :lol

Won

AAAAAAAAAAHHH. I finally decided to unlock at least Akuma and what happens? I fight Gouken. Of course no unlocks. -.-

Screw you Capcom and your shitty unlock shit.

Zeliard

Baloonatic said:
I feel like an idiot, but can someone please explain to me how to perform special moves that require you to "charge"?

You hold a certain direction for one second. For example, to do a Sonic Boom with Guile, you hold on back for one second, then press forward + punch.

I used Sagat for a few matches. He's like the Steelers. He wins all the time, but does it in a very boring way.

I'm back to my girl, anyway. I like the challenge.

Zeliard said:
You hold a certain direction for one second. For example, to do a Sonic Boom with Guile, you hold on back for one second, then press forward + punch.

Thank you, I couldn't find any explanation in the manual but maybe I missed it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok I've cleared arcade 3 times with Akuma now, gotten 3 ultra finishes and 2 perfects each time and Gouken won't appear. What the fuck do I need to do!?

Also the english voice actor for Akuma sounds like he's saying I. WANT. SAU SAGES when doing his ultra.:lol

Got this. Unlocked Cammy on EasiEST. Have not won a Ranked Match yet. Still, amazing game. Challenges are really good at teaching you moves and such. Not really feeling terribly crippled by the 360 pad. It's not like I'm trying moves and failing. I just don't really have the skills to remember them in the middle of a fight as opposed to facing down an immobile Fight Dummy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Have people at least mixed it up online by using Dan? He looks/animates incredible--better than any of the shotos imo. For the record, my only reason for not using a shoto (not since Alpha 2 actually) is not because I believe them cheap but only that they bore me to death.

But yeah, enough with the complaints already. If you're all playing them so much eventually you'll be kicking their asses out of sheer volume of repetition.

NameIess

BenjaminBirdie said:
Got this. Unlocked Cammy on EasiEST. Have not won a Ranked Match yet. Still, amazing game. Challenges are really good at teaching you moves and such. Not really feeling terribly crippled by the 360 pad. It's not like I'm trying moves and failing. I just don't really have the skills to remember them in the middle of a fight as opposed to facing down an immobile Fight Dummy.

Well I can say the standard fightstick is garbage just returned it today and put the money toward RE5. I will stick with the standard control pad and perhaps consider another arcade stick if I really get into the MP. I'm just really disappointed they did not create a lobby system. I still have to say that DOA4 has the best lobby system for an online fighter period...

Sallokin

I feel like I'm still playing this like ST and I'm getting punished for it. Either way online has been great and I've actually had a nice mix of characters. Still need to remember that Focus Attacks exist and use them more.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The only reason I dislike it when people pick shotos is that EVERYONE picks shotos.

It's not to say they are generally bad players, I'd just like to get a little more variety of opponents.

...and anytime someone is taking forever to pick their character, I'd put money on them rocketing over to Ryu/Ken.

...again, I don't dislike people for picking their favorite guy, just want people to expand beyond the same characters.

I've probably fought, no joke, like 80-90% Ryu/Ken/Sagat/Akuma.

No hate, just want more variety in opponents.

sprocket

Banned
NameIess said:
Well I can say the standard fightstick is garbage just returned it today and put the money toward RE5. I will stick with the standard control pad and perhaps consider another arcade stick if I really get into the MP. I'm just really disappointed they did not create a lobby system. I still have to say that DOA4 has the best lobby system for an online fighter period...

you do know you can get high quality parts for it for less than $50

sprocket said:
your not the guy i jist beat spamming jumping fireballs are you?
I don't have xbox live gold, so no. I mostly just play against friends and other people in the arcade.

besides, I still think I'm playing 3rd strike half the time, so I don't spam fireballs.

hey bros i got the game yesterday and im lovin it but i have a question. how can i invite multiple people to a player match (arcade/quarter mode) where each person can play and then the winner plays the next guy etc.

p.s. my 360 gt is frenchmov if anyone wants to play, but i only have a regular 360 controller so if i get my ass kicked thats my excuse (i'd lose even if i had an arcade pad!)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Compared to others, my record blows. However, I've upped my win % to 35% with 800 BP strictly with El Fuerte. Guile still gives me fits though.

sprocket said:
Until I win. People online can see me as whatever they want for picking Akuma but he gets me wins. Are you on PSN? I'll add you. I want to see your anti shoto zoning skills.

Aeris130

FrenchMovieTheme said:
hey bros i got the game yesterday and im lovin it but i have a question. how can i invite multiple people to a player match (arcade/quarter mode) where each person can play and then the winner plays the next guy etc.

For your own benefit, this feature has been left out.

in Ryu and Ken's defence, they have the most silky smooth controls in the game compared to other character.

I am charge character player, and it requires more charge planning when FADCing and all that stuff

while with shoto, their controls are simpler and easier to manipulate from Super Canceling to following up with FADCs and shit.

I am a terrible Fireball trapper, so that is why I don't play them, i'm to used to fighting against them instead of with them

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sinatar said:
Ok I've cleared arcade 3 times with Akuma now, gotten 3 ultra finishes and 2 perfects each time and Gouken won't appear. What the fuck do I need to do!?

Also the english voice actor for Akuma sounds like he's saying I. WANT. SAU SAGES when doing his ultra.:lol

Ok I got him. For people having trouble make sure you are on one round fights. I set it to 3 rounds so I had more opportunities for perfects and ultras but apparently you have to finish the whole fight with a perfect or ultra, not just rounds.

Got DC'd Slayn. That said, I've sorta been up all night so even though I accepted your invite (and we only got a game and a half in), I'm gonna go nap.

GG (& 1/2).

sprocket

Banned
GalacticAE said:
Until I win. People online can see me as whatever they want for picking Akuma but he gets me wins. Are you on PSN? I'll add you. I want to see your anti shoto zoning skills.

Of course he gets you wins. its not hard to get a luck ultra in with him.

but i do not give my psn id out online. just play ranking mode and if its fei long its probably me ;)

MGrant

FrenchMovieTheme said:

p.s. my 360 gt is frenchmov if anyone wants to play, but i only have a regular 360 controller so if i get my ass kicked thats my excuse (i'd lose even if i had an arcade pad!)

You can't.

And the 360 pad isn't as bad as everyone says.

Top Bottom