• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ferrio

Banned
Good games Andy. First Gen I've played against. My Viper still sucks hardcore... there's some trick to connecting EX Hammer->Ultra that I"m not getting... wiff wiff wiif

I was looking forward to playing this online but Christ, does anyone use anyone other than Ken? I'm just getting spammed with hadoukens at range and then shoryukens when I get close to someone.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Baloonatic said:
I was looking forward to playing this online but Christ, does anyone use anyone other than Ken? I'm just getting spammed with hadoukens at range and then shoryukens when I get close to someone.
ryu

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just played the sickest Honda EVER. Dude got a 1 perfect and nearly perfected me again. He kept on chain Ochio throwing me. :/

djkimothy

Baloonatic said:

Wait till you get to the Akuma players...

Baloonatic said:

The trick is to time a jump just as they are throwing the fireball and fierce kick them in the face follwing up with any combo/special move of choice as you land.

usea

djkimothy said:
My problem with teh DQCF is that I end up doing one of those uppercuts instead of an ultra fireball if I was with ryu. The stick movement is too similar with other moves.
The stick direction needs to be LEFT or RIGHT when you hit the punch/kick button. If it's still on diagonal, you'll do an uppercut. You're not finishing the motion.

Jube3

I'm loving abel right now, It was a rough start with him(like 10-50) but ive gotten off on a few 10 win streaks to even out my era a little heh. Love this game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UnholySpectacle said:
Yeah, the spamming of air fireballs sucks.
This is true but people can play whoever the hell they want. Not really any concern of mine and personally Scrotos are no more annoying than Gief players spamming SPD's.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
UnholySpectacle said:
Yeah, the spamming of air fireballs sucks.
Dash right under those.

I've found myself right next to the guy ready for him when he lands so I can unleash the fury on him.

Fei Long has some mean speed, so you can get in there pretty fast :D

Barrett2

Holy shit, going into Ranked online play right after weightlifting is not a good idea. Im' having a hard time pulling off moves with my tired arms, and am this close to tossing my stick through a god damn window. -_-

And holy shit at online Guile players who do nothing but crouch sweeping kick. I should have destroyed that piece of shit. grrrrr...

Archie said:
I just played the sickest Honda EVER. Dude got a 1 perfect and nearly perfected me again. He kept on chain Ochio throwing me. :/

It's not as hard to get out as it was in SF2, especially when any ex move breaks those throw loops. You can't do the same thing over and over again like you could in sf2, it's way easier to punish. And the revenge meter is there for a reason, if that person keeps throw looping you, you hit the asshole with an ultra and you're back in the game.

Man it's fun beating up on shotos with Dan. I should actually start getting serious and just pick Ken.

I really need a stick or one of those fightpads. Getting a 360 and SFIV made me poor. :(

xabi

Raging Spaniard said:
Is it just me or do specials beat ultras like 80 percent of the time? Frustrating stuff.

Yeah, especially when it's Dan's uppercut that is stuffing Abel's Ultra. Had a long laugh about that one last night...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
lawblob said:
Holy shit, going into Ranked online play right after weightlifting is not a good idea. Im' having a hard time pulling off moves with my tired arms, and am this close to tossing my stick through a god damn window. -_-

And holy shit at online Guile players who do nothing but crouch sweeping kick. I should have destroyed that piece of shit. grrrrr...
sounds like a great idea. GET PUMPED

Game is awesome -- awesome is this game.

I just wished they made more of the achievements/unlokcables based on online competitive player rather boring arcade run-throughs. Or at least have multiple requirements for unlocking certain characters like Akuma (i.e) to unlock Akuma beat arcade with a perfect and an ultra finish OR win at 100 ranked/player matches

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, uhm, what do you guys mean when you say "shotos"?

Characters with QCF motions primarily involving fireball of sort and an anti-air of sort -- usually a dragon punch esque move.

So we have: Ryu, Ken, Dan, Sakura, Gouki, Gouken, Sagat, Rose)

vertopci

C- Warrior said:
Characters with QCF motions primarily involving fireball of sort and an anti-air of sort -- usually a dragon punch esque move.

Why are they called shotos >.>

Does it mean something in japanese or something?

NZNova

I gave in to the evil DLC impulse and downloaded my new costume unlock key. I hate this kinda shit but damn it all, it's Street Fighter and it's got a Haggar costume in it.

No_Style

vertopci said:

Shotokan. The fighting style of Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Gouken/Sakura

Akim said:
It was just me and my friend at my gamestop tournament...he beat me. I'm pissed.

Take the fight into the real world. Tiger Knee him in the face when he's not expecting it!

C- Warrior said:

Sagat and Rose aren't shotos. All the rest of them actually use the same style (which was mistakenly called Shotokan Karate). Sagat and Rose have the same type of rules, but shotos they are not.

NZNova

vertopci said:

From wikipedia:

Since the SNES version of Street Fighter II, Ryu's fighting style has been referred as "Shotokan" in the English localization of the games' instruction manuals and related literature, despite the fact that the term has not been used in the Japanese versions or in the games themselves. Capcom USA has since insisted upon Ryu's (and by extrapolation, Ken's and Akuma's) fighting style be referred to as Shotokan in various media, such as UDON's comic series.

vertopci

No_Style said:
Shotokan. The fighting style of Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Gouken/Sakura

Take the fight into the real world. Tiger Knee him in the face when he's not expecting it!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH

I feel kind of stupid now :lol :lol

Akim said:
It was just me and my friend at my gamestop tournament...he beat me. I'm pissed.

That sucks but at the same time it's pretty funny :lol

KGKK

Banned
So I googled SF4 and blisters. Seems like Im not the only who has one. Anyone here on GAF get it yet?

Im gonna go train with Bison now as another Gaffer suggested, lets see if it helps.

Chamber said:
This is true but people can play whoever the hell they want. Not really any concern of mine and personally Scrotos are no more annoying than Gief players spamming SPD's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should not play. But like Qub said, you can punish those people pretty easily.

vertopci

KGKK said:
So I googled SF4 and blisters. Seems like Im not the only who has one. Anyone here on GAF get it yet?

Im gonna go train with Bison now as another Gaffer suggested, lets see if it helps.

Get a stick and you don't have to worry about blisters.

At least those blisters aren't as bad as the original Mario Party ones :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
xabi said:
Yeah, especially when it's Dan's uppercut that is stuffing Abel's Ultra. Had a long laugh about that one last night...

Yeah exactly, specially with Abel since hes the one Im using the most right now. I realize theres some tricky balance since that Ultra is POWERFUL, but damn.

KGKK

Banned
vertopci said:
Get a stick and you don't have to worry about blisters.

At least those blisters aren't as bad as the original Mario Party ones :lol

First the stick is like $100 US, since they recently raised the prices of next-gen games in Canada to like $70 plus tax, the stick will prob be around $130 or so. Not to mention it will be very hard to find. I managed with SF3 and the MvC games without the stick, I think I can everntually make do here too.

Arhal_Katarn

Well i just smashed a 360 pad up while playing this thanks to the shitty d pad. I think i am gonna trade it in, i can't be bothered to wait till April for the fightpads and i am not gonna get raped buying one off ebay.
I really can't get into the game with the shitty ms pad, i wish i still had my ps3 that had a good d pad.

MGrant

A friend and I were playing a Rose vs Dan match. He performed his super taunt, so I sent out my ultra. Just as I did that, he cancelled into his ultra. Both ultras bounced off of each other, causing no damage. We spent the rest of the match laughing uncontrollably.

fernoca

10 Hours mark! :p
Which is quite a lot considering I've been playing mostly by myself...got all the characters/movies..now to get a little better and at least get 100 BPs online! :p

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Nikashi said:
Gouken is NOT a shoto, his moves are entirely different, he doesn't even have a regular dragon punch, it's super/ultra only.

Hey if anything Gouken IS the Shotokan master, whatever moves those other fuckers are doing are not indicative of the Shotokan style :p

I mean shit, its like Ryu and Ken learned nothing from the guy, looks more like Akuma was doing the most teaching.

MGrant

Arhal_Katarn said:
Well i just smashed a 360 pad up while playing this thanks to the shitty d pad. I think i am gonna trade it in, i can't be bothered to wait till April for the fightpads and i am not gonna get raped buying one off ebay.
I really can't get into the game with the shitty ms pad, i wish i still had my ps3 that had a good d pad.

Play with the analog stick. It's better than you think.

so_awes

Banned
KGKK said:

uh...use a cotton tshirt.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UnholySpectacle said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should not play. But like Qub said, you can punish those people pretty easily.
The reason you punish them (us) easily is because they're either new to Street Fighter or haven't played Street Fighter in 15 years. Shotos are great for these kind of people and probably where most of you started.

usea

If I bought a 3 month live gold card from amazon, would I have to wait for it to come in the mail to use it? Is there a cheaper way to get gold than buying a card from amazon?

Top Bottom