• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah exactly, specially with Abel since hes the one Im using the most right now. I realize theres some tricky balance since that Ultra is POWERFUL, but damn.

I'm maining Abel right now. Man he is pretty damn fun to play. At first I was getting my arse kicked in pretty badly, but when I realized he's not a hardcore rushdown character and changed my strats accordingly, it all started to flow. I mean, he's still rushdown which is what I love, but the game in general is slower and more methodical.

His mix-up game is so friggin good. Though the best is when somebody lets out a fireball when I have Ultra meter. :)

I did learn however that Guile's sonic boom is too quick to Ultra counter. Right now the characters I'm having trouble against are Bison, Fei Long, and Vega (but just a bit). Shotos get their clocks cleaned.

fin

Omar Ismail said:
I'm maining Abel right now. Man he is pretty damn fun to play. At first I was getting my arse kicked in pretty badly, but when I realized he's not a hardcore rushdown character and changed my strats accordingly, it all started to flow. I mean, he's still rushdown which is what I love, but the game in general is slower and more methodical.

His mix-up game is so friggin good. Though the best is when somebody lets out a fireball when I have Ultra meter. :)

I'm also learning Abel, I've made some pretty good progress

the roll>d+FP>air grab/spin kick or special punch works good.

or

roll>FP>super/ultra

But man, my Honda is the shit. He's my go to guy for people playing Ryu/Ken/Akuma they can't stop me.

I think I'm at about 7 wins in a row, I'm going to try later to see if I can make it ten!

vertopci said:
Get a stick and you don't have to worry about blisters.

At least those blisters aren't as bad as the original Mario Party ones :lol
I remember Nintendo started to offer gloves because so many people were getting blisters on their hands from button mashing. I don't need any stinkin' gloves; I butchered my hands like a man, or actually a boy at that time.

LiK said:
no Gouken even tho i lost no rounds, did 2 Ultras and had 1 perfect. Akuma appeared again tho :/

This is supposedly what you have to do:

"Unlock Akuma, then complete Arcade mode as him without using any continues. Then complete Arcade mode once more as Ryu, without using continues and have at least two "Perfect" victories and three "Ultra" combo finishes. After you defeat Seth, Gouken will appear. Defeat him to unlock him."

Can't confirm it but it's on Gamewinners.com

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SnowWolf said:
I'm a shoto user myself (Ryu) but what's the reason why Ken is so overwhelmingly chosen over Ryu? These guys keep doing fierce shoryukens all day.
His uppercut sets people on fire.

LiK

iconoclast said:
You need 3 ultra finishes and 2 perfects for Gouken.

Baloonatic said:
This is supposedly what you have to do:

"Unlock Akuma, then complete Arcade mode as him without using any continues. Then complete Arcade mode once more as Ryu, without using continues and have at least two "Perfect" victories and three "Ultra" combo finishes. After you defeat Seth, Gouken will appear. Defeat him to unlock him."

Can't confirm it but it's on Gamewinners.com

hmmm, i'll try that then. Haunts really needs to update the OP with the correct way to get him. here i go again!

Chamber said:
His uppercut sets people on fire.

Ken has better pokes, kara-throws, alternate kicks, and crossing up an opponent to a relatively easy to do M.P > H.P > EX Fierce Dragon punch does a shit ton of a damage.

Oh and he's got the flames.

Oh and on a side note -- I'm beginning to get a little peeved at everyone hating on Ken/Ryu users. Let people play whoever the fuck they want to play to have fun at the game. I think that's the most important thing. Get off your high horse, me playing Guile in my evil ways isn't any more scrubbish than Ryu/Ken players.

usea said:
If I bought a 3 month live gold card from amazon, would I have to wait for it to come in the mail to use it? Is there a cheaper way to get gold than buying a card from amazon?
you can purchase live gold from the dashboard, but most people prefer the prepaid cards because they're often available at a discount.

Arhal_Katarn

I did try with the analogue for a bit, could pull off moves more often with it but it felt a bit random too me. I will put some more hours in training tomorrow. This game is really kicking my ass, the last sf game i played was on snes lol so its taking a while to get use to as i have only played Tekkens and DOA's since then.

MGrant

LiK said:
hmmm, i'll try that then. Haunts really needs to update the OP with the correct way to get him. here i go again!

Here's how I did it:

-Unlock everyone except Akuma/Gouken/Seth.
-Beat Arcade mode on easiest with 2 perfects and 2 ultra finishes, unlock akuma. (I used Rose, with whom I'd beaten the game before, if that makes a difference).
-Beat Arcade mode with Akuma.
-Beat Arcade mode on easiest with 3 perfects and ultra finishes on all of the other matches. Gouken should show up. I used Rose again.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
LiK said:
no Gouken even tho i lost no rounds, did 2 Ultras and had 1 perfect. Akuma appeared again tho :/

It's 3 Ultras and 2 perfects. I think.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think Eventhubs has the correct way to unlock Gouken.

Unlock Akuma and beat the game with him. Then beat the game again with any character by winning the matches in the following ways...

Fight 1. Perfect
Fight 2. Ultra
Fight 3. Ultra
Fight 4. Ultra
Fight 5. Normal
Fight 6. Normal
Fight 7. Normal
Fight 8. Normal

Alivor

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Help me SFIVGaffers! When should I do a focus attack? I know how to do it but i dont know how to use is appropriately.
I try to do them just as an enemy's about to punch, so it damages them and I keep my health.

MGrant

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Help me SFIVGaffers! When should I do a focus attack? I know how to do it but i dont know how to use is appropriately.

I like doing them against fireballs (dash out of it after you absorb the fireball), against opponents who are getting up who don't know any better (time it so it hits right as they get up), as an anti-air (this depends on the character), or against people who use a lot of low attacks followed by nothing else (it will shield the low attack and punish).

evil ways

Capcom should add a patch to let you filter out Shotos from the game, as soon as your opponents picks one as their character he gets an error message and goes back to the lobby. That would make me so happy and would make the online play much less boring and monotonous.

LiK

cool, i'll just try to do as many perfects and ultra finishes for every match. thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
C- Warrior said:
Ken has better pokes, kara-throws, alternate kicks, and crossing up an opponent to a relatively easy to do M.P > H.P > EX Fierce Dragon punch does a shit ton of a damage.

Oh and he's got the flames.
And he also has the same voice as Dante.

Really, Langdon didn't change his tone one bit from Dante. :lol
C- Warrior said:
Oh and on a side note -- I'm beginning to get a little peeved at everyone hating on Ken/Ryu users. Let people play whoever the fuck they want to play to have fun at the game. I think that's the most important thing. Get off your high horse, me playing Guile in my evil ways isn't any more scrubbish than Ryu/Ken players.
Preach, brother!

Tadale

360 gafers, add me!

El Tomas

EDIT: I think people getting frustrated over Ken/Ryu players is that there are just so damn many. It gets boring playing against the same character all day.

zewone

I just got back from my local Gamestop SFIV tournament.

Well, my Gamestop was smart enough to borrow a decent size HDTV from the store next door.

We played on a 42" LG LCD.

Shitty part: We were playing on PS3, using Sixaxis. I play on a 360, using a stick.

Shitty part: Odd number of players, so I had to play more matches than anyone else.

Shitty part: No unlockable characters, so I couldn't use my main Sakura.

Shitty part: Controller configuration was fucked and they wouldn't let me change it. So I had no idea what the triggers did. I was only able to use LP, MP, LK, & MK. No ultras for me.

Good part: I beasted everyone w/ Sagat.

See ya bitches in San Francisco.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
MoxManiac said:
Sorry slayn, i tried both invites but they wouldn't let me connect?
When I decide to play, I spam invites to everyone on my list in the hopes I won't have to wait long. So probably someone else beat you to it, sorry!

C- Warrior said:
I don't have a problem if someone *good* chooses him and actually uses him effectively. Its not so much the abundance of ryu/ken that is frustrating, its the abudance of jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse, dragon punch ryu/kens.

Every time I start a match against one, and they begin with forward jumping roundhouse, and I smack them out of it, I groan a little because I know this fight is going to be exactly like every other one.

NZNova

C- Warrior said:

I so can't do Ken's forward MK kara throw. He just does the kick no matter how I try to jam the buttons :(

spoon!

C- Warrior said:

I fucking love scrubby shotos and their glorious BP. just keep tearing them up till they figure out fireball traps and random srk's dont work anymore :lol

evil ways

slayn said:
I don't have a problem if someone *good* chooses him and actually uses him effectively. Its not so much the abundance of ryu/ken that is frustrating, its the abudance of jumping roundhouse, crouching roundhouse, dragon punch ryu/kens.

Every time I start a match against one, and they begin with forward jumping roundhouse, and I smack them out of it, I groan a little because I know this fight is going to be exactly like every other one.

Eggxactly!! Shit gets old real quick.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
LiK said:

You have to finish the game with Akuma first, then have 2 perfects and 3 ultras.

edit: wow too late. Haunts needs to update that OP.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
slayn said:

So basically, you hate new players?

NeoUltima

Ye wtf is with some ppl having the "In training" title and whatnot...they kick your ass and then you see they have 1500+ battle points....tricky bastards :(

MGrant

NeoUltima said:
Ye wtf is with some ppl having the "In training" title and whatnot...they kick your ass and then you see they have 1500+ battle points....tricky bastards :(

Some of the titles are just ridiculous though. What's with all the business titles (I was Assistant Manager for a while for lols)? Also, I love "Bourgeois." It just makes no sense.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Chamber said:
So basically, you hate new players?
I hate new players that follow the sheep mentality of using the same character and using the same tactics as everyone else online... yes. Now if someone new picked, say, Gen, I would be all smiles and sunshine and might even message them afterwards with constructive criticism.

NeoUltima said:
don't fall for the hustlers!!! the titles are misleading weather they claim to be good or not LOL.
Show them No Mercy!

NZNova said:
I so can't do Ken's forward MK kara throw. He just does the kick no matter how I try to jam the buttons :(

An arcade stick is a near-must for this.

I have focus attack quickmapped to the 4th button on top, and throw quickmapped to the 4th button on bottom. That makes it easier to foward+mk (and then MILI-MILI-MILI-SUPER SECOND later press the quick mapped throw button.)

But I really don't use Ken, I main Guile and Vega (Claw).

MoxManiac

slayn said:
When I decide to play, I spam invites to everyone on my list in the hopes I won't have to wait long. So probably someone else beat you to it, sorry!

Nah, it's no problem. Thanks to SF4's shitty lack of quarter matches and stuff it's difficult to coordinate matches with people.

I'd like another crack at your blanka sometime though. It's the main matchup i've been trying to figure out with rufus. Every time I get headway BP wise a Blanka comes out of nowhere and steals a bunch of BP from me. :(

Won

Finally unlocked Akuma and Gouken. I have to say I understand now why I saw so many Akumas online. He plays so damn perfect.

Now only 16 more playthorughs for Seth. YAY!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm actually doing decent with Ryu, hovering around 800 BPs after about 4 hours of play. I am severely handicapped though since I'm using the analog stick. I can't wait until I get my TE :(

Zapages

Our place had a 3rd place match for fun... I came in third... There were two brothers that won both first and second place... It was good fun in the end of it all...

Threi

notag
jesus christ a good abel is scary.

its like "wait i got rolle-what im getting thrown-wha-WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING WHY AM I DEAD ALREADY" :lol :lol

well got it in today finally (fuck you gamefly, no really)

and I cant unlock Gouken, I did akuma on easiest 1 round 99 timer 2 perfects, 2 ultra finishes and nothing. fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

playing this with the 360 pad fucking sucks im using the analog because the dpad is so shit and there are no mad catz pads anywhere.

and my lord this menu music is awful....its like 90s sisco thong song awful....

CPS2

Raging Spaniard said:
Hey if anything Gouken IS the Shotokan master, whatever moves those other fuckers are doing are not indicative of the Shotokan style :p

I mean shit, its like Ryu and Ken learned nothing from the guy, looks more like Akuma was doing the most teaching.

Good point O_O

Chamber

love on your sleeve
slayn said:
I hate new players that follow the sheep mentality of using the same character and using the same tactics as everyone else online... yes. Now if someone new picked, say, Gen, I would be all smiles and sunshine and might even message them afterwards with constructive criticism.
What's stopping you from giving Ken and Ryu players constructive criticism? It'd probably do more for your enjoyment of the game than whining to GAF about it.

Aside from that, it isn't sheep mentality to try to learn the basics of Street Fighter by using the two easiest characters to learn. It's actually pretty smart.

KGKK

Banned
wtf so I'm doing challenge with Bison to help learn his moves. How the fuck do you charge? I googled, no help:( Nothing in the manual either. It just says for his psycho crusher movie "charge+punch".

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've only played 2 Gens. Motion Picture Soundtrack (pretty awesome but we lagged so I can make an excuse for losing :D) and some other random guy.

gutter_trash said:
I busted over the 2000 mark in BPs

Bison and Honda mostly in day 1 and 2, now on day 4 I started putting in more Balrog..

OMG! Balrog is a god!

Honda players represent~

usea

_dementia said:
you can purchase live gold from the dashboard, but most people prefer the prepaid cards because they're often available at a discount.
I have heard that you should always buy prepaid cards and never give microsoft your credit card.

Nobody else has bought a gold card from amazon?

Top Bottom