• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Vormund

Jackson said:
So to read things like "I wish I could filter out all Ken players" makes me sad.

Simply put: We just don't want to play against the same character over and over and over and over again. Too repetitive and boring.

tbh based on this, I would really like to just stick to playing people that I know.

ElyrionX

Teknopathetic said:
You cannot cancel into ultras (unless you're dan). With guile, you can link into the ultra from super, though. Or after a crumple hit from a focus attack.

Oh, you can't cancel into ultras? No wonder a super keeps coming out when I tried canceling a shoryuken into an ultra.

ravien56

can the bison players give pro tips against shoto players online? I'm not really good at keeping the pressure and can only do his charge attacks as main attacks

Barrett2

PhatSaqs said:
Ragequitter after I beasted on his (decent) Gief with Rose..... and wow at his gamerscore :lol

vnnott.jpg

Holy shit.... incredible. :lol

If anyone wants to play on PSN in a few minutes, add me. - lawblob

Vormund

mh56 said:
can the bison players give pro tips against shoto players online? I'm not really good at keeping the pressure and can only do his charge attacks as main attacks

Well I'm far from Pro, but really you do have to keep the pressure on as Bison.

EX headstomp is excellent - can't follow up with the fist since it knocks down though.
Throw in a few devils reverse to mix it up a bit as well as teleports.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
When it says PPP for ultras, does that mean all three punches at the same time or three punches in rapid succession?

Can't seem to get it to work ever. I hate this controller :(

DELittle

Neo Member
ElyrionX said:
Oh, you can't cancel into ultras? No wonder a super keeps coming out when I tried canceling a shoryuken into an ultra.

You can ultra out of cancels (unless I have the terminology wrong). Ryus last challenge involves you cancelling an EX uppercut into Ultra. Alot of other characters have the same thing. Maybe it only applies to certain characters?

zewone

elostyle said:
When it says PPP for ultras, does that mean all three punches at the same time or three punches in rapid succession?

Can't seem to get it to work ever. I hate this controller :(
All three punches.

taku

Anyone else having trouble finding ranked matches to play? Basically, every time I do a search for a ranked match, it finds about 2 of 'em, both with the lowest internet connection possible..

taku said:
Anyone else having trouble finding ranked matches to play? Basically, every time I do a search for a ranked match, it finds about 2 of 'em, both with the lowest internet connection possible..
Yep, I just host my own.

DELittle said:
You can ultra out of cancels (unless I have the terminology wrong). Ryus last challenge involves you cancelling an EX uppercut into Ultra. Alot of other characters have the same thing. Maybe it only applies to certain characters?
Are you talking about FADC'ing out of a Shoryu into an Ultra? Because you cannot cancel into an Ultra unless you're Dan.

ElyrionX

Well, I'm sorry guys but I'm now officially one of those shoto guys online who only ever uses Ryu.

I tried to main Chun Li at first but I'm a complete noob at fighting games and she's just too difficult for a newbie to use. At least Ryu is relatively simpler. Maybe, I'll main Chun Li or Blanka after I get more time with the game. For now, Ryu gives me a decent fighting chance against the people online.

ravien56

Vormund said:
Well I'm far from Pro, but really you do have to keep the pressure on as Bison.

EX headstomp is excellent - can't follow up with the fist since it knocks down though.
Throw in a few devils reverse to mix it up a bit as well as teleports.
O thanks you reminded me, when I'm doing the trial for bison I'm stuck at doing the reverse devil ... The commands look so weird it's like headstomp> M punch> >m... What?

"You can ultra out of cancels (unless I have the terminology wrong). Ryus last challenge involves you cancelling an EX uppercut into Ultra. Alot of other characters have the same thing. Maybe it only applies to certain characters?"

This is using a focus attack cancel, i think (haven't done ryu's trial), which is a whole different ball game. You can't, for example, do crouching medium kick -> hadoken -> ultra like you can with your super.

Unless it leaves them in the air long enough to do an ultra with afterwards (like Sagat's EX tiger uppercut), but that would be a link, not a cancel.

Vormund

mh56 said:
O thanks you reminded me, when I'm doing the trial for bison I'm stuck at doing the reverse devil ... The commands look so weird it's like headstomp> M punch> >m... What?

I haven't done bison's trial yet, but is that referring to the MP air juggle? (mp twice in the air)

ravien56

Vormund said:
I haven't done bison's trial yet, but is that referring to the MP air juggle? (mp twice in the air)
maybe... I know u gotta hit medium punch twice... But I think it wAs called reverse devil

DELittle

Neo Member
Teknopathetic said:
"You can ultra out of cancels (unless I have the terminology wrong). Ryus last challenge involves you cancelling an EX uppercut into Ultra. Alot of other characters have the same thing. Maybe it only applies to certain characters?"

This is using a focus attack cancel, i think (haven't done ryu's trial), which is a whole different ball game. You can't, for example, do crouching medium kick -> hadoken -> ultra like you can with your super.

Unless it leaves them in the air long enough to do an ultra with afterwards (like Sagat's EX tiger uppercut), but that would be a link, not a cancel.

Why did they name it focus cancel -_-. It confuses the newcomers like me. It should be focus interupt or something so when someone says interupt you know its a focus and not an animation being cancelled. Then again interupt is probably already defined in street fighter speak :(

I don't understand why people would main Ken or Ryu when you could easily go my route and main Akuma, who also has an air fireball. Are there that many newbs really playing this?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found this:

sf4tiers.jpg

Superblatt said:
I don't understand why people would main Ken or Ryu when you could easily go my route and main Akuma, who also has an air fireball. Are there that many newbs really playing this?

:lol he's not just ryu/ken with an air fireball. He takes more damage than any of the regular characters in the game, for one thing. His super/ultra is hard to land against a good player for another. I guess there are that many newbs playing this...

taku

Superblatt said:
What's so wrong with liking Ryu/Ken? Sure, some of the Ryu/Ken players I've met were a joke but some of them were kind of awesome (and annoying)! There's nothing wrong with being a "Shoto" guys..

Superblatt said:
He takes a ton of damage dude.

Character wise, I don't think it makes sense to have Akuma take more damage as he is portrayed as the ultimate badass. I could see dan taking more damage more readily than Akuma.

However, for the sake of game balance, it does work.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Tokubetsu said:
This has never happened to me before but I felt like others might want to try it. I play on my monitor and it can only support 1080i on my 360. Well I tried playing this in 720p and the game not only feels better but looks a LOT better as well. The feeling better part might just be in my head and the progressive aspect but i know it looks a whole helluva lot better.

Like most 360 games SFIV's native resolution is 720p - that's what all the assets were created with. It's a very sharp, crisp, vibrant game. I would expect upscaling it would harm the visual quality to some small degree.

I actually have a 720p LCD panel TV and wouldn't want to upgrade to a seemingly flashy 1080p panel this gen. Most 360 and PS3 games actually run at 720p, and downscaling the 1080p games just makes them run better in a lot of cases :p (stuff like resolution shifting doesn't happen in some of them.)

haunts said:
press down foward 2x and punch and you'll get a DP
holy fuck

now I can start spamming goshoryukens because I'm an Akuma player and the basic mechanics of the game are so difficult I've just been spinning my joystick in circles and mashing hardpunch.

Barrett2

Man, this challenge mode is very frustrating for fighting game lightweights like me. I need more visual cues to intuitively get how to pull these moves and combos off.

Sectus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZN9CESl-BY&fmt=22 - Plz give me tips how to become better player.
When you do a FA, do a quick combo. jump in with mk instead of HK, you missed a few chances to do a crossup because of that. When you see them charging a FA, do an armor break move instead of trying to jump. don't do random shouokens from midscreen. don't do random ultras from midscreen. don't get into a fireball war, work on getting inside, EX otoshi works. mix up your attacks with throws, I think the only throw you did was when he was dizzy, which is when you don't want to throw.

CPS2

Teknopathetic said:

fwiw you can ultra after Ryu's EX fireball in the corner, and also after EX tatsu. But yeah it's a juggle, not a cancel. I just realised recently that when they're in a juggle state you can only hit them with EX moves, supers and ultras.

Sectus

akachan ningen said:
When you do a FA, do a quick combo. jump in with mk instead of HK, you missed a few chances to do a crossup because of that. When you see them charging a FA, do an armor break move instead of trying to jump. don't do random shouokens from midscreen. don't do random ultras from midscreen. don't get into a fireball war, work on getting inside, EX otoshi works. mix up your attacks with throws, I think the only throw you did was when he was dizzy, which is when you don't want to throw.
Thanks for the tips... but... erm, I can't understand half of what you just said @_@. FA? Otoshi? Armor break?

And if the trial mode is any indication, I should probably never try to do any combos ever. I could only barely get past the 3rd trial stage for Sakura. Hard trials aren't even worth considering.

There's one basic thing I'm very uncertain of, and that's what to do when you're right next to your opponent, especially when he's about to stand up. How fast can a player attack after standing up, is there any delay at all? If so, it seems like he has a tremendous advantage as I find it very difficult to time an attack exactly as he's getting up. So when I'm close I have tendency to just poke as hell, since that seems to have the most priority. Same thing about throws, most times I tried to do them I get poked, so I stopped doing them unless I know it'll hit.

taku said:
Hey, how'd you record this, mang?
Computer with a Blackmagic Intensity Pro and 2 harddrives in Raid 0.

taku said:

I just go into arcade with Ranked turned on and wait for people to send me a request. I barely get through the first match without at least having 5-10 fights online.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone explain the timing for cancel combos? I'm stuck on the level four trial challenges for pretty much every character.

Like, with Ken, he has one that goes something like:

Jump HK
HK
Shoryuken
EX Focus

And I am having a lot of troubling linking the HK to the Shoryuken. Do I start the Shoryuken motion the moment I press the HK button? Or do I need to wait until I hit before I start the motion?
I'm really stuck. Either my Shoyruken comes out late and gets blocked or I don't even do the move because it didn't read my joystick motion.

Any advice please! :)

CPS2

Sectus said:
There's one basic thing I'm very uncertain of, and that's what to do when you're right next to your opponent, especially when he's about to stand up. How fast can a player attack after standing up, is there any delay at all? If so, it seems like he has a tremendous advantage as I find it very difficult to time an attack exactly as he's getting up. So when I'm close I have tendency to just poke as hell, since that seems to have the most priority. Same thing about throws, most times I tried to do them I get poked, so I stopped doing them unless I know it'll hit.

They can attack on the very next frame, so it's basically instant. That's what a reversal is. I think Sakura's best reversal is the EX dragon punch.

I use Sakura a bit, what I try to do is get in close and land a crouching MK or crouching HP into EX hurricane kick, and then I do an ultra if I have meter, otherwise I'll do a HP dragon punch or 623+K>P,P,P if they're in the corner. If you stun them, do a level 3 focus attack by holding MP+MK until it hits, and then do one of the combos mentioned above. They're not that hard really.

HK is a good poke at mid range, and the MK hurricane kick has decent recovery if you want to get in close. And if you want to get in close from the far end of the screen, use 623+KK>P. Sakura goes pretty crap against other up close characters like Zangief, but remeber that her EX fireball travels across the screen slowly, so you can chase it down and then do a mixup like a jumping attack or a sweep, and still be safe.

Just finished unlocking all the characters, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I can do ultra/super combos really easily using the 360 d-pad, but it's useless for anything else so I stick with the thumbstick mainly.

Xater

Played a few games with GreyFox. That was fun. Not competitive and we played a bunch of different characters. Connection seemed to be great how was it on your end Fox?

FightyF

Banned
akachan ningen said:
So who's gonna be organizing the GAF tournaments for this game?

I'm interested in this as well. I'm not a pro though, but it would be fun.

Keep in mind though, Canada GAFers won't get their TE sticks till mid-March, which sucks. So maybe we can have multiple tournies?

Top Bottom