• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Gowans

This threads been a little intimidating, Updates? tournament mode? DLC?

What's the deal with these, I'm prepared to let Capcom bend me over for the DLC.

So up for a GAF tournaments, I'm on the GAF SFIV Gamertag.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone have any tips for Chun Li's combo where she goes jump HP HP->MP->Kikouken->super? I can get it up to the kikouken part, totally flummoxed on comboing that into a super.

No_Style

prodystopian said:
Just read that Sirlin article. That man is awesome.

He made a lot of great points. I don't have SFIV yet, so I was surprised to read that the button config method was altered in SFIV. For the longest time, Capcom have made made their button configurations in the "press the button you want to assign this command to" style.

I somewhat disagree with this stance against two button throws in 2-D fighters. For the less experience crowd, crowd I've seen many matches won and loss through these accidental throws. I would have liked to the two buttons to be either PP or KK instead of LP+LK though.

Once again, since I don't have the game yet, I could have sworn that I read that you could pull off Ultras with PP instead of PPP.

Is it just me, or is it way harder to do a crossup tatsumaki than in 3rd strike?

Also, challenge mode is awesome, even if it's hard as shit. best training mode in a fighting game since VF4? I think so.

Right now my best combo with Akuma is jump in HK,HP,Heavy Goshoryuken. I'm working on tossing in a light tatsumaki between HP and the gosho, but it's really damn hard. What are some other useful combos that I don't need EX cancels for?

lawblob said:
Man, this challenge mode is very frustrating for fighting game lightweights like me. I need more visual cues to intuitively get how to pull these moves and combos off.

This is my only real complaint with the game. I wish they had a "demonstration" mode you could look at for the combos like Tekken's practice mode used to. Alot of the time, I just have no idea what the timing on some of the combos is.

Volcynika

Question about "Legendary Champion" trophy:

Do you have to both fight Gouken while clearing Hardest mode? Because I beat Hardest just now and unlocked Gouken last night and I didn't get it...

God's Beard said:
Also, challenge mode is awesome, even if it's hard as shit. best training mode in a fighting game since VF4? I think so.
I dunno. It doesn't teach you any of the games mechanics aside from combos and it doesn't demonstrate them for you. It's short to boot. :/

EDIT: Fei Long loop: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6218774
Good thing damage scaling saves you from the ultra!

Already been posted! Damn you Reno! :lol

Rektash

People seem to hate loosing against a girl like Sakura. I am being perma spammed with hate on XBL :lol . (and I wouldn t even say that i am good with her)

No_Style

EternalGamer said:
This is my only real complaint with the game. I wish they had a "demonstration" mode you could look at for the combos like Tekken's practice mode used to. Alot of the time, I just have no idea what the timing on some of the combos is.

That would be great, but thankfully there is Kalelulen's YouTube page which is the next best thing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
prodystopian said:
Just read that Sirlin article. That man is awesome.

It's got some good points and bad points. He falls into the "casual friendly" trap as well (it's just as "friendly" as SF always was). The double-blind select thing is a nitpick really. Kind of tired of hearing it. Who exactly are ultimate counters to who in this game? In the end, it's still down to skill.

About GGPO, it's an old issue and they couldn't/didn't want to use it. Very old news. I actually have better online matches in this game than I did in SF2 HD Remix. Mission accomplished for Capcom. Button config screen is a whoop

The rest of his post is entirely subjective and other tourney players haven't really expressed any issues. All of a sudden I want to play a bit of Guilty Gear though.

Edit: Challenge mode is supposed to be a challenge guys. Game could have used a teaching mode though.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Can anyone give me tips on how to unlock Akuma, Seth, and Gouken?

I went online and read how to unlock them but I can't unlock them for some reason. Do you have to do it on normal or harder without using continues? I've been doing it on easy with 1 round to unlock stuff quickly. I've beaten it with the default 16 characters and the first 6 that you unlock but I still haven't unlocked Seth or faught Akuma and I've been getting perfects and flashy finishes.

ElyrionX

Baron Aloha said:
Can anyone give me tips on how to unlock Akuma, Seth, and Gouken?

I went online and read how to unlock them but I can't unlock them for some reason. Do you have to do it on normal or harder without using continues? I've been doing it on easy with 1 round to unlock stuff quickly. I've beaten it with the default 16 characters and the first 6 that you unlock but I still haven't unlocked Seth or faught Akuma and I've been getting perfects and flashy finishes.

For Akuma, you can do it on easiest with 1 round settings. Then, beat the game without continuing with at least one perfect finish. Akuma should appear. Beat him and you''ll get him.

To get Gouken. Complete the game with Akuma once (doesn't matter how you do it, just do it). Then with any character, get at least two ultra and two perfect finishes without continuing and Gouken should appear. Beat him to unlock him.

Seth is easy. Just beat the game with everyone and he should unlock.

CPS2

diffusionx said:
Anyone have any tips for Chun Li's combo where she goes jump HP HP->MP->Kikouken->super? I can get it up to the kikouken part, totally flummoxed on comboing that into a super.

After the kikouken you just need to press back, forward+kick. The first part of the super is already buffered from the kikouken, just make sure to enter the last bit very quickly.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
It's got some good points and bad points. He falls into the "casual friendly" trap as well (it's just as "friendly" as SF always was). The double-blind select thing is a nitpick really. Kind of tired of hearing it. Who exactly are ultimate counters to who in this game? In the end, it's still down to skill.

Well, Capcom hyped the game up to be casual friendly/back to basics and the game media sites and mags bought into it. Except, well, 5 minutes of playing told me its not that at all. Which is fine. If the game wasn't like it is it would probably be dead in the competitive scene in 6 months and everyone would be back to SSF2T/SF3. But let's not pretend its something its not.

The rest of the post reads almost like Sirlin thinks he could've done a better job with SF4 than Capcom's designers. Which doesn't surprise me, after reading his site and that book.

Kintaro said:
All of a sudden I want to play a bit of Guilty Gear though.

Guilty Gear is awesome.

UC1 said:
After the kikouken you just need to press back, forward+kick. The first part of the super is already buffered from the kikouken, just make sure to enter the last bit very quickly.

Thanks mate.

ElyrionX said:
For Akuma, you can do it on easiest with 1 round settings. Then, beat the game without continuing with at least one perfect finish. Akuma should appear. Beat him and you''ll get him.

To get Gouken. Complete the game with Akuma once (doesn't matter how you do it, just do it). Then with any character, get at least two ultra and two perfect finishes without continuing and Gouken should appear. Beat him to unlock him.

Seth is easy. Just beat the game with everyone and he should unlock.

I can't pull off Akuma's ultra for the life of me, so I've given up.

Wait, I didn't read correctly, should be a piece of piss then if that's the case.

Kintaro said:

I don't think he is complaining about the level of the complexity as much as how it is being portrayed (by media and Capcom) as casual friendly. Good points, though.

ElyrionX said:

It was my experience that you need at least 3 Ultra finishes. I beat the game with 2 perfects and 2 ultras and got Akuma again. With 3 ultra finishes, I got Gouken.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
diffusionx said:
Well, Capcom hyped the game up to be casual friendly/back to basics and the game media sites and mags bought into it. Except, well, 5 minutes of playing told me its not that at all. Which is fine. If the game wasn't like it is it would probably be dead in the competitive scene in 6 months and everyone would be back to SSF2T/SF3. But let's not pretend its something its not.

Sites and mags buy into everything all the time. This is no surprise. They never learn. Capcom wanted to get those who left SF2 which turned back into making SF4 casual which turned into...something. I'd say the general reception among buyers seems to be that it does have that SF2 roots going for it though. You can jump around like a flew firing random special moves just like in the old days and have fun. Just like in the old days, you can sit in there and dig deep for the richer aspects of the game as well.

Seems like the "casual friendly" bit truly comes from " LOOK, THE ORIGINAL 12 ARE BACK INSTEAD OF A WHOLE NEW CAST! I'M UNCOMFORTABLE WITH CHANGE!" imo.

The rest of the post reads almost like Sirlin thinks he could've done a better job with SF4 than Capcom's designers. Which doesn't surprise me, after reading his site and that book.

I was trying to be nice, but yes. This is exactly what it reads like.

Guilty Gear is awesome.

Yes it is. :D Need a new game in the series or I need BlazBlue here in the states.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i put down c viper for a bit to try out the almighty sagat. without knowing dick about the character except for tiger shot and heavy kick ive managed to start winning more ranked matches than im losing.

i feel kinda bad though : (

fubarduck

Feral Youth said:
I can't pull off Akuma's ultra for the life of me, so I've given up.

Akuma's Ultra is actually easier in this game. You only need 3 inputs. You do:

Jab, Jab, [Backwards+Low Kick+High Punch simultaneously].

In previous SF games, you had to input each one separately but they made it way easier in SF4. Using this method, you can for example do:

(while holding down back):
Jab, Jab, [down, down back+Low Kick+High Punch simultaneously]

That way, the down back registers the "backwards" and you can do Akuma's Ultra from a crouching position. Why is that useful? It makes your hitbox lower to the ground, so you can use Akuma's Ultra as a perfect anti-air. It will beat any jump-in attack 100% with this method if you time it correctly.

YES YES YES

*Jumps Up And Down Like Chun Li*

MY FIRST ONLINE WIN!!!!

With Ryu.

:(

I was playing El Fuerte for a while and at least getting close to wins against really any opponent but then I started a match with someone hovering over Ryu and I so sick of dudes spamming shit so I figured, fuck it, and picked Ryu too. He switched to Chun-Li and I beat him, pretty much fair and square. Finally got my first icon!

YES!!!!

Kintaro said:
Sites and mags buy into everything all the time. This is no surprise. They never learn. Capcom wanted to get those who left SF2 which turned back into making SF4 casual which turned into...something. I'd say the general reception among buyers seems to be that it does have that SF2 roots going for it though. You can jump around like a flew firing random special moves just like in the old days and have fun. Just like in the old days, you can sit in there and dig deep for the richer aspects of the game as well.

Seems like the "casual friendly" bit truly comes from " LOOK, THE ORIGINAL 12 ARE BACK INSTEAD OF A WHOLE NEW CAST! I'M UNCOMFORTABLE WITH CHANGE!" imo.

I was trying to be nice, but yes. This is exactly what it reads like.

Yes it is. :D Need a new game in the series or I need BlazBlue here in the states.
since i live in europe and lastgen i only had a ps2 i couldnt play sf3 at all there was no euro release on ps2. so they got me back from sf2 with sfiv :D

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
prodystopian said:
It was my experience that you need at least 3 Ultra finishes. I beat the game with 2 perfects and 2 ultras and got Akuma again. With 3 ultra finishes, I got Gouken.

Does it matter what Arcade settings you use? Or the order of Perfects and Ultra finishes? I just beat Arcade twice on Easiest, 1 round, 99 seconds with two Perfects followed by 3 Ultra finishes and both times Akuma showed up. I'd previously beaten Arcade with Akuma.

Great King Bowser said:
Does it matter what Arcade settings you use? Or the order of Perfects and Ultra finishes? I just beat Arcade twice on Easiest, 1 round, 99 seconds with two Perfects followed by 3 Ultra finishes and both times Akuma showed up. I'd previously beaten Arcade with Akuma.

I don't think so. I used those exact settings, so I don't know why he wouldn't show up. In fact, I did 2 perfects followed by 3 ultras as well.

BenjaminBirdie said:
YES YES YES

*Jumps Up And Down Like Chun Li*

MY FIRST ONLINE WIN!!!!

With Ryu.

:(

I was playing El Fuerte for a while and at least getting close to wins against really any opponent but then I started a match with someone hovering over Ryu and I so sick of dudes spamming shit so I figured, fuck it, and picked Ryu too. He switched to Chun-Li and I beat him, pretty much fair and square. Finally got my first icon!

YES!!!!

It really is tough out there, I think I've won like 2 out of 20 games D: I'm trying to find a character I'm comfortable with.

Someone named Haunts/Niedel should place that youtube link with the challenges in the first page...so people can just check there.

And to some saying it's challenge mode... there's nothing wrong with showing the player how to accomplish it...since you're already telling them the combo...now if it were like SF EX where it said to get a certain level of damage that would be different.

I read Sirlin's article. I thought it was a great read. It is true...he did pitch a Street Fighter IV project (and it was linked in this thread) and has been vocal about his opinion of the direction they moved in.

But he does bring up a lot of good points. I'd say I agree with most of them...except for the throw input. I like the command as you don't accidentally throw when you didn't mean to. Also, I'm glad they reduced the damage from Turbo and A2 (Blanka's bite was ridiculous...play N3ss).

I think they should modify the Ultra command...to what I don't know...maybe double fireball and heavy punch and kick. Or make it like someone suggested... The Ultra can be like a level three super and just hit fierce punch to make it simpler (kind of like A3).

If they upgrade the game...definitely speed up the game (or the walking speed), reduce the floatiness in the jumps, improve the matchmaking (since everyone is complaining), add lobbies (I don't see how they could've messed that up) and spectating, add Thunder Hawk and Dee Jay (for those that like those horrible characters) and create two new characters and new costumes (all for the price of $20).

Also...the new characters don't really gel with the old characters. Capcom is an odd company... I'd say I like their designs on most of their characters. But other fighting game series try to modernize their characters a bit and create a distinctive look...whereas Capcom is sort of generic with it...like Japanese karate man...American karate man with blonde hair...black American boxer, etc. But I guess every game can't be Tekken, Soul Calibur, DOA4, KOF, Fatal Fury, etc.

Baloonatic said:
It really is tough out there, I think I've won like 2 out of 20 games D: I'm trying to find a character I'm comfortable with.

Keep in mind, I am terrible.

Also, in terms of the DLC packs, have they announced an eventual pack with all the costumes included?

Great King Bowser said:

I've only done it once but I did 3 perfects and 3 ultra finishes. It's very confusing though, I've heard people claim that they got 1 perfect and 3 ultras and Gouken showed up.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Also, in terms of the DLC packs, have they announced an eventual pack with all the costumes included?

So am I to be honest, I haven't played a SF game for about 10 years and the last 2D fighting game I played was Tekken 3 :lol

Baloonatic said:
i played most of my matches as sagat and i own all this ryus and kens with him (i feel sorry when i totaly beat the s*** out of a newb with an ultra finish) i try to find guys my skill but sometimes they are much lower

-COOLIO- said:
i put down c viper for a bit to try out the almighty sagat. without knowing dick about the character except for tiger shot and heavy kick ive managed to start winning more ranked matches than im losing.

i feel kinda bad though : (
don't feel bad.

if they can't beat you doing that, they don't deserve to win. that simple.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Just wanted to pop in here to say OH MY GOD this game is addictive. I was NEVER interested in Street Fighter before, but a friend bought his 360 copy over for us to play and I'd been playing it nearly nonstop. It's strange how much I'm paying attention to the effectiveness of each of the moves and trying to formulate plans and techniques. I'm in no way an accomplished fighter player so this is all rather basic stuff really, but it's a step above all my previous experiences playing Street Fighter 2 and spamming fireballs and mashing keys.

I've been a bit of a Blanka fan and I'm really beginning to warm to him. Won a couple of online matches using him too.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Sort of...in Japan, they're releasing a pack in April (I want to say). It's significantly cheaper than buying the costumes separately.

I'm going to wait until then to buy the costumes...

maniac-kun said:
i played most of my matches as sagat and i own all this ryus and kens with him (i feel sorry when i totaly beat the s*** out of a newb with an ultra finish) i try to find guys my skill but sometimes they are much lower

I'll try him out.

By the way, is there any point to BP because I lose whatever I gain very quickly.

Courtesy of Bodine1231 on SRK...the unlockables from Time Trial and Survival:

Time Attack Normal 1 = Color 3
Time Attack Normal 2 = Personal Action 2
Time Attack Normal 3 = Title
Time Attack Normal 4 = Title
Time Attack Normal 5 = Title
Time Attack Normal 6 = Color 5
Time Attack Normal 7 = Personal Action 4
Time Attack Normal 8 = Title
Time Attack Normal 9 = Title
Time Attack Normal 10 = Title
Time Attack Normal 11 = Color 7
Time Attack Normal 12 = Personal Action 6
Time Attack Normal 13 = Title
Time Attack Normal 14 = Title
Time Attack Normal 15 = Title
Time Attack Normal 16 = Color 9
Time Attack Normal 17 = Personal Action 8
Time Attack Normal 18 = Title
Time Attack Normal 19 = Title
Time Attack Normal 20 = Title

Time Attack Hard 1 = Title
Time Attack Hard 2 = Title
Time Attack Hard 3 =
Time Attack Hard 4 =
Time Attack Hard 5 =

Survival Normal 1 = Color 4
Survival Normal 2 = Personal Action 3
Survival Normal 3 = Title
Survival Normal 4 = Title
Survival Normal 5 = Title
Survival Normal 6 = Color 6
Survival Normal 7 = Personal Action 5
Survival Normal 8 = Title
Survival Normal 9 = Title
Survival Normal 10 = Title
Survival Normal 11 = Color 8
Survival Normal 12 = Personal Action 7
Survival Normal 13 = Title
Survival Normal 14 = Title
Survival Normal 15 = Title
Survival Normal 16 = Color 10
Survival Normal 17 = Personal Action 9
Survival Normal 18 = Title
Survival Normal 19 = Title
Survival Normal 20 = Title

I've been doing the survival and can confirm what he says (I have yet to clear normal 20 though). I'm going to spend the day clearing the time trials and ATTEMPT to do the survivals.

CPS2

I think the only points I agree with Sirlin about are the button mapping and netcode. Everything else comes down to preference. HDR is definitely way better for ranked matches. Almost every ranked match I've had in SF4 has had input lag to the point where I can't anti-air, reversal, tech throw, or really do anything other than sit on one side of the screen and spam fireballs =/

They're both about as good as each other up until a certain distance or ping, but after that, I choose severe rollback style unplayable rather than severe input lag unplayable. At least with rollbacks the bullshit will go in my favour sometimes.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dreams-Visions said:
don't feel bad.

if they can't beat you doing that, they don't deserve to win. that simple.
i dont feel guilty about the wins, im just doling back what ive been getting....

i feel guilty for cheating on viper ; _;

Baloonatic said:

I'm getting very distracted. played turbo to death and was good back then. Now I'm getting my ass handed to me left and right. I think I need to take some time and get comfortable with one character.

The game is awesome it just sucks to lose.

taku said:
wuh.jpg

:lol I really need to send in my xbox for repair! I've encountered this issue in most of my games. It looks hilarious when you're playing since they're stuck in that pose even when you're jumping / attacking.

Edit: Added video for laughs.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol that video was fuckin awesome

fubarduck said:
Akuma's Ultra is actually easier in this game. You only need 3 inputs. You do:

Jab, Jab, [Backwards+Low Kick+High Punch simultaneously].

In previous SF games, you had to input each one separately but they made it way easier in SF4. Using this method, you can for example do:

(while holding down back):
Jab, Jab, [down, down back+Low Kick+High Punch simultaneously]

That way, the down back registers the "backwards" and you can do Akuma's Ultra from a crouching position. Why is that useful? It makes your hitbox lower to the ground, so you can use Akuma's Ultra as a perfect anti-air. It will beat any jump-in attack 100% with this method if you time it correctly.

Ah, cheers, that helped a lot. Now I can do it.

UC1 said:
I think the only points I agree with Sirlin about are the button mapping and netcode. Everything else comes down to preference. HDR is definitely way better for ranked matches. Almost every ranked match I've had in SF4 has had input lag to the point where I can't anti-air, reversal, tech throw, or really do anything other than sit on one side of the screen and spam fireballs =/

They're both about as good as each other up until a certain distance or ping, but after that, I choose severe rollback style unplayable rather than severe input lag unplayable. At least with rollbacks the bullshit will go in my favour sometimes.
I've noticed this too. lag in SF4 is actually kinda hard to spot because it rarely shows up as stuttering, as we're so used to in fighting games. it shows up as everything moving a few seconds after you press a button. something like Gears of War.

I learned this lesson after playing about 10 matches against a friend where I couldn't pull of Blanka's Ultra to save my life. I thought it was just fatigue or something. Nope, it was the connection. As soon as I joined another game, the problem disappeared.

Be on the lookout for input lag, boys. Never fun to lose matches when you're doing things right.

Rektash

Just tried to get Gouken - No idea what I did wrong but I didn t get him. First I beat the game with Akuma, after I beat it with Sakura with 4 perfect rounds and about 5 Ultra finishes - no gouken for me :-/.

Settigs: 3 rounds per fight.

Any suggestions ?

ElyrionX

Rektash said:
Just tried to get Gouken - No idea what I did wrong but I didn t get him. First I beat the game with Akuma, after I beat it with Sakura with 4 perfect rounds and about 5 Ultra finishes - no gouken for me :-/.

Any suggestions ?

Do Easiest and 1 round per fight. Make sure you don't continue at all.

taku

Rektash said:

Any suggestions ?
I thought you had to do this with Ryu and only Ryu?

Top Bottom