• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I play Sagat, Ryu and C. Viper pretty heavily. Sagat is who I use for ranked though. If I find good ppl ill try to level up my viper and ryu in player matches.

andymcc

Banned
haunts said:
I play Sagat, Ryu and C. Viper pretty heavily. Sagat is who I use for ranked though. If I find good ppl ill try to level up my viper and ryu in player matches.

you destroyed my viper. : (

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Right on... at 3500 the competition gets pretty rough.. Im at 4300 now i think and ive ran into some ridiculously good players. Its always funny, when two good players find each other we instantly make a player match and get as many games as possible..then its back to punishing jump ins after that. lol

andymcc said:
you destroyed my viper. : (

Whats your gamer tag? I forget, sorry.. I killed so many vipers today in mirror matches.. lol..

dfyb

Banned
JasonZara - quitter on PSN (also plays ken -- i think he got mad when i threw him after wiffed DP again and again and again :lol)

dfyb

Banned
dfyb said:
so how are icons unlocked? just online play? BP requirements?
also, how are colors unlocked? i have up to 5 so far, mainly from time trials i think. are they all in time trials?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
another question. how does one beat blanks that throw themselves all over the fucking place? and what can you hit an electric blanka with?

dfyb

Banned
there needs to be more filters for ranked matches. like 'nobody with BP under X' -- annoying when matches earn so little, yet if you lose, you lose big.

-COOLIO- said:
another question. how does one beat blanks that throw themselves all over the fucking place? and what can you hit an electric blanka with?
who are you using? there are lots of projectiles and crouch moves that beat an electro charge.

random balls can be punished. again, depends on who you're using.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How the hell do I punish Ken's with Balrog, everything he does has priority over my moves. I can win by being patient and they usually will screw up enough for me to squeak by a win but I need a way to dominate.

Teach me GAF, you're my only hope.

dfyb said:
there needs to be more filters for ranked matches. like 'nobody with BP under X' -- annoying when matches earn so little, yet if you lose, you lose big.
it gets pretty close to what you're looking for by choosing, the "opponents better with more skill than me" (or whatever that option says) under Custom match.

it's the only way to play. they help you get better...and you won't lose big points in the unexpected loss.

Sinatar said:
How the hell do I punish Ken's with Balrog, everything he does has priority over my moves. I can win by being patient and they usually will screw up enough for me to squeak by a win but I need a way to dominate.

do you charge your moves up well? I'd say chances are you need to become more proficient at that.

the buffalo headbutt beats fireballs.

I think his charging straight punch beats fireballs? I know for sure you can ex the charging straight punch through any fireball and be in perfect position to go to work.

I've not played with him much at all, but I know for sure that headbutt gets him past fireballs. you can use them to get closer, and nobody wants to see Balrog for half-screen or closer.

I'd say to learn to charge constantly.

Tokubetsu

dfyb said:

Ranked needs a lot of things. On the top of my list though is double blind character selection. This needs to be #1 on that patch or w/e

Sirlin's blog on SFIV is actually a great read too if it hasn't been posted already:
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dreams-Visions said:
who are you using? there are lots of projectiles and crouch moves that beat an electro charge.

random balls can be punished. again, depends on who you're using.
im the viper guy >.>

i guess the hammer, i just suck at pulling it out

PhatSaqs said:
Hovering in low 3K. Probably back down below 2800 before im done tonight :lol
Really? I was beating you the other day with my Vega! But I think you were using your Akuma. :p

I think I should go back to playing some Ranked now. Get my BP back up.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dreams-Visions said:
wait. are you serious?

Yeah Im serious, explain to me what a link is because the way you're using the term does not make sense at all. You cant link s.lk into c.mk (even on counter hit afaik), and you sure as hell cant cancel thunder kunckle into ex seismo and call it a combo.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Really? I was beating you the other day with my Vega! But I think you were using your Akuma. :p

I think I should go back to playing some Ranked now. Get my BP back up.
I lose to a ton of people. Dont take any pride in beating me :p

dfyb

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Sirlin's blog on SFIV is actually a great read too if it hasn't been posted already:
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html
i totally agree about the links and FADC. but i personally like the 2 button throws.

The effect of all these links is to hide the actual game behind an impenetrable wall of execution. If you practice (ie, develop 1p skills unrelated to strategy and unrelated to interaction with the opponent) then you gain access to the real game, a game of high damage off small hits, but only for the dexterous.
this is basically exactly how i feel with some of the combos in this game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Sinatar said:

His Light Punch Dash Straight is safe from max range so spam that as much as possible, jsut dont get too predictable although its a rgeat way to get in. You can cancel into his super if it hits as well.

His crouching Fierce Punch is great anti air and I know kens love to jump so just punish them with crouching hard punch.

If they get close, crouching jab is your friend, it comes out in 3 frames which means its very fast and beast almost everything. If you tap them with a crouching jab or two just go in for a throw. If they like to DP after your crouching jabs to beat throw, jsut wait and punish.

EX Dash Straight will go through fireblls so basiclly just build EX meter to pass through fireballs. you can pass through fireballs with Buffalo Headbutt as well.

MIMIC

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
the buffalo headbutt beats fireballs.

Boy does it :lol The Balrog I was playing knew this...and I didn't (Guile is my main). I bet he was pissed when I stopped using sonic booms and just got right in his face.

-COOLIO- said:
im the viper guy >.>

i guess the hammer, i just suck at pulling it out
my bad, bro. lol. I didn't realize you were trying to use her exclusively. anyway....

CV is at a slight disadvantage against a good Blanka, but against a chronic blanka baller, use the seismo (mp, fp) as soon as he lands. he'll learn the hard way.

if he likes to blanka ball from distance, you should be able to see it coming. jump straight up. HK into combo.

I'd only recommend using the TK to bait him into making a mistake or to close ground rapidly.

flaming kick is your friend on wakeup when used right.

if he likes to electro, punish all day with seismo.

Zeliard

haunts said:
His Light Punch Dash Straight is safe from max range so spam that as much as possible, jsut dont get too predictable although its a rgeat way to get in. You can cancel into his super if it hits as well.

His crouching Fierce Punch is great anti air and I know kens love to jump so just punish them with crouching hard punch.

If they get close, crouching jab is your friend, it comes out in 3 frames which means its very fast and beast almost everything. If you tap them with a crouching jab or two just go in for a throw. If they like to DP after your crouching jabs to beat throw, jsut wait and punish.

EX Dash Straight will go through fireblls so basiclly just build EX meter to pass through fireballs. you can pass through fireballs with Buffalo Headbutt as well.

I love crouching light punch with Balrog. I abuse the shit out of it. One guy actually msg'd me after a fight complaining about that move.

Sinatar

The problem with EX dash is that it goes through the first fireball but they can get a second one out before I reach them so I still eat it. I do use crouching jab a ton which is how I get most of my wins, go jab, jab, med, dash punch. It's just getting inside that's giving me trouble. I don't use headbutt enough, I'm going to have to work that in more.

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
The problem with EX dash is that it goes through the first fireball but they can get a second one out before I reach them so I still eat it. I do use crouching jab a ton which is how I get most of my wins, go jab, jab, med, dash punch. It's just getting inside that's giving me trouble. I don't use headbutt enough, I'm going to have to work that in more.

Definitely work on the headbutt, it's invaluable. Also try to work in some TAP (turn-around punch, hold KKK or PPP).

Stantron

Stantron said:
Any one have luck with Chun Li's last combo (#5) on Challenge mode Trail Hard? I checked out the youtube guy's vid, but it's not working for me. I'm having problems linking the kicks after the EX focus attack knock down.
Dang, got finally got it. I didn't realize that you can dash cancel after the EX focus attack to get in closer while in mid combo.

Sinatar

Oh, one more Rog question for the moment. What move is best to beat Gief's Lariat? I don't seem to have any way to knock him out of that when he whiffs it, dash punches get hit, headbutts get hit, even my ultra gets hit out of it.

Seems kinda ridiculous that gief can just spam that move at any time and not get punished, there has to be something I'm missing.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Sinatar said:
Oh, one more Rog question for the moment. What move is best to beat Gief's Lariat, I don't seem to have any way to knock him out of that when he whiffs it, dash punches get hit, headbutts get hit, even my ultra gets hit out of it.

Seems kinda ridiculous that gief can just spam that move at any time and not get punished, there has to be something I'm missing.

Headbutt beats it clean or try his Dash Low Straight..

Is it possible to do moves that have a sort of "zig zag" on the command list with an analogue stick? I can't figure them out. I might actually buy one of those MadCatz pads, the analogue stick is better than I thought it would be but I still keep jumping at the wrong times.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Baloonatic said:
Is it possible to do moves that have a sort of "zig zag" on the command list with an analogue stick? I can't figure them out. I might actually buy one of those MadCatz pads, the analogue stick is better than I thought it would be but I still keep jumping at the wrong times.
thats the analogs main problem by far

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I need some help, its a bit OT. I have a backwards compatable ps3 and Im trying to use my TE fightstick on 3rd strike from SF anniv. collection on ps2. When the ps3 goes into the ps2 mode it says "press the ps button", so I hit the home button on the TE stick but nothing happens...it doesnt seem to recognize it. :( Has anyone gotten there TE stick to work on ps2 games running on ps3??

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sinatar said:

Turn punch works wonders for closing space as it passes through attacks on startup. It combos into his supers/ultras too.

duffey

Ugh is there a reliable strategy for going against Blanka with Boxer? I'm absolutely dumbfounded on how to get close to him in any fashion. I think he's literally the only person I cannot figure out at all.

Jtrizzy

dfyb said:
JasonZara - quitter on PSN (also plays ken -- i think he got mad when i threw him after wiffed DP again and again and again :lol)

What's the trick to doing this? I played a guy last night who was just throwing me all over the place with Ryu. I guess I just suck at throws now that it takes two buttons. I was much better at the throws in II.

dfyb

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
What's the trick to doing this? I played a guy last night who was just throwing me all over the place with Ryu.
knock him down... walk up to him, block, he does DP, throw him when he lands.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I can't do any freaking damn shoto type moves or QCF or QCB moves on the stupid TE stick..

Is it this Square Gate?? I wonder if I should order the Octagonal one.
I was like that when I first started using my Sanwa stick with SF games. Be patient with it, once you learn it you won't want to go back.

Jtrizzy

^^we had some good battles last night. Where do you live? Just curios as far as lag goes. It was fine for the most part. I'm on the East Coast.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
duffey said:
Ugh is there a reliable strategy for going against Blanka with Boxer? I'm absolutely dumbfounded on how to get close to him in any fashion. I think he's literally the only person I cannot figure out at all.

Dash Straight will punish a blocked blanka ball.

Zertez

Trying to pull off combos on the analog stick is rough and out of hours of trying I have only been able to pass Hondas trial 3 on normal. Zig Zag motion isnt to bad, but linking is tough. Is any characters super worth saving your bar for? Most characters Ive played with, it seems like the bar is better spent on ex moves.

Zertez

tapedeck said:
I need some help, its a bit OT. I have a backwards compatable ps3 and Im trying to use my TE fightstick on 3rd strike from SF anniv. collection on ps2. When the ps3 goes into the ps2 mode it says "press the ps button", so I hit the home button on the TE stick but nothing happens...it doesnt seem to recognize it. :( Has anyone gotten there TE stick to work on ps2 games running on ps3??
I dont think the TE stick is backwards compatible right now. I dont have a PS3 TE stick, but remember reading it wasnt going to be compatible out of the gate. They said hopefully Sony will patch it. I may be wrong though.

Dante

WTF I thought you guys were exaggerating about the Ken thing. But like 90% of the people who challenge me online use him, Is there any way to filter out your challengers?

Sinatar

Dante said:
WTF I thought you guys were exaggerating about the Ken thing. But like 90% of the people who challenge me online use him, Is there any way to filter out your challengers?

Unfortunately not. That's why I want tactics to put some serious hurt on them. Either scare them away from the game completely or compel them to try someone else.

Dante

You know...They really need to add an online mode that makes people use the ? icon.

sux that I'm trying to learn these new characters any EVERYBODY keeps using Ryu and Ken :/

Brannon

Jube3 said:
For blanka if you have your ultra you can block his ball and then go into your ultra and drill him when he lands.

Yep. God bless the Ultra Power. They do enough chip damage, the next time you see them rollin', start hatin' and take away 80% more life than they did to you.

It will scare them.

Top Bottom