• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
riskVSreward said:
Since we're talking about gripes, my biggest is that they don't hide your/your opponent's character selection when playing over Live. It would put an end to all the stalling and counter picking.

Can you state to me who is the "counter" to who in this game? Who counters Sagat? Who counters fuerte? Bison? C. Viper? Zangief? Countering in such a way that is greatly increases the odds they will beat you.

dralla said:
uh I can't do Vipers trial, the one where you have to link Focus Attack, EX Thunder Knuckle, Ultra. the Ultra never connects, ever
Just tried it, here's how to do it:

Full charge Focus Attack, Dash cancel it by double tapping forward just before the attack comes out.
She should dash as soon as it hits, giving you precious frames to hit the combo.
Do the EX Knuck which passes through to the other side. Knowing this, you can start buffering the Ultra command as if you were already facing that side. (hope this makes sense)
Hit all 3P as soon as you recover.

Not that hard once you get the hang of it.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Best Fighter Ever!?!?

Played So Much My Left Thumb Is Crip. Must Be Getting To Old For This $hit.... Still Must Play More.

My Abel > Your Whoever

PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
nasero said:
God damn that evil Fuerte.
Fuerte, the official stress equalizer.

He just plays so differently than everyone before him that if you play someone that doesn't know what to do against him, they're boned.

Nasero figured out my glass canon strategy pretty fast...but the fools online had no clue. I'm surprised this one guy stuck around for multiple games (only lasted 3, than booted me) due to how insane Fuerte can make you.

GrayFoxPL

riskVSreward said:
E-dick lol. It's not bragging to say Seth on easiest is easy, because he's fucking easy. Go play HD Remix on Easiest, you'll be throwing your controller on the second guy.

EDIT: I decided to be helpful:

Seth Round 1: Very very easy. he will start the round with his stretchy Dhalsim HP like 90% of the time. Jump in and combo, stay on him after that, use relentless offense.

Seth Round 2: Now he will start using his specials. He also will not open with the stretch punch and is more likely to jump in. Be defensive. Jump in less, his Uppercut will deal massive damage. His rapid fire kick is a bitch but doesn't even come out if you block the first kick, leaving him open for a counter attack -> combo. When he knocks you down, he will teleport 2-3 times, just get up and block since he will most likely switch sides on you and counter any attack you try.

His ultra and command throw are the weakest in the game. His EX command throw seems to do as much damage as a normal SPD. He is easy damn it, I'm not trying to brag. My online record is 50/50, I'm not that great. But the AI has a lot of holes in it, compared to any other fighter this is a walk in the park. How many times have you see CPU Bison start with the slide kick? Just an example, it's all way too predictable.

Wait, all this and you play on easy?

On medium everyone's a pushover but not seth. I found it easier to beat hd remix arcade(Unless it's classic) on hard then seth on medium with some characters.

Seth can be stupid against some chars and godly vs others. Like with viper if you get him lp electro knunkle you can repeat it until his dead

Definitely focus attack is half of the key to success.

Kintaro said:
Can you state to me who is the "counter" to who in this game? Who counters Sagat? Who counters fuerte? Bison? C. Viper? Zangief? Countering in such a way that is greatly increases the odds they will beat you.
Do I detect sarcasm? SF has always had counter characters. Sagat is a beast no matter who the other guy picks, but Rog and Akuma give him the most trouble. Have you been to SRK? It's all well documented there. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my ass to sound "leet."

EDIT: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo#Strategy Thats for ST, not SF4. But the same idea applies.

kiryogi

Banned
Man I love this game, but god I suck. I have no idea when I'll ever actually get online to play. But I'll post my PSN anyway, I think I might have met some of you during SCIV.

PSN: kiryogi

GrayFoxPL said:
Wait, all this and you play on easy?

On medium everyone's a pushover but not seth. I found it easier to beat hd remix arcade(Unless it's classic) on hard then seth on medium with some characters.

Seth can be stupid against some chars and godly vs others. Like with viper if you get him lp electro knunkle you can repeat it until his dead

Definitely focus attack is half of the key to success.
I'm not playing on easy you clod :lol That's general Seth strats, I personally play Arcade on 5 or 6. And I don't resort to spamming a single move to beat him, he's legitimately easy for me. Maybe if I picked like Gen, Rose, or someone else I know nothing about, he would give me shit. Most people just aren't playing defensively and constantly attacking.

Cowie

Just to put what I could to rest, i started that new save and did some Gouken research
a log of what I did

went through arcade on easiest with c viper, 1 round 99 seconds
1 ultra finish, no continues unlocked cammy
went through as ryu, same settings
3 perfects, 2 ultras, no continues, no akuma yet, unlocked Sakura
went through as sakura, same settings
1 perfect, 1 ultra, unlocked Dan, unlocked
went through as abel, same settings
no continues, unlocked Fei Long
went through as chun, same settings
2 perfects, 3 ultras, unlocked Gen
went through as m.bison, same settings
3 perfects, 4 ultras, no continues , unlocked rose, unlocked ‘simply perfect’ achievement

Now for Akuma
went through as Ken, same deal
1 perfect,1 ultra, no continues, no akuma
went through as Ryu
2 perfects, 2 ultras, no continues, Akuma appears, beat him, unlocked Akuma
went through again as Ryu
3 perfects, 3 ultras, no continues, Gouken appeared, beat him, Gouken DID NOT UNLOCK.
went through as Akuma
2 perfect, 3 ultra, no continues, Gouken did NOT appear
went through as Sagat
3 perfects, 3 ultras, no continues, Gouken did NOT appear
went through as Sagat again
3 perfects, 3 ultras, no continues, Gouken appeared, beat him, Gouken unlocked

So, things I found
-Akuma will not appear until Sakura, Dan, Rose, Gen, Cammy, and Fei Long have been unlocked.
-I got Akuma to appear after 2 perfects and 2 ultras, but the minimum requirement could be lower. I've heard as low as 1 perfect without continuing, but if so it definitely needs to be with a character you've beaten the game with before.
-Gouken will appear after unlocking Akuma, but he did not unlock after I beat him, which leads me to believe you must beat the game with Akuma to unlock Gouken
-Gouken will NOT appear the first time you beat the game with a character, as shown with Sagat.
-The number 2 perfects and 3 ultras is floating around, and I'm willing to take that over my 3 perfects and 3 ultras, I just wanted to be safe.

So, my testing wasn't completely perfect, but I'm pretty confident saying that the unlock conditions for Gouken are

-Beat the game with Ryu, Sakura, M. Bison(Dictator), Chun Li, C.Viper, Abel
-Playing with a character you have already beaten the game with,Get 1 perfect finish without continuing to face Akuma, defeat him to unlock him
-Beat the game with Akuma
-Playing with a character you have already beaten the game with, get 2 perfect and 3 ultra finishes without continuing to make Gouken appear, Defeat Gouken to unlock him.

Why would I put so much time into doing this again? Gah.

KiNeSiS

Banned
so_awes said:
i especially love using him to beat the shit out of Ken players.

FIREBALL! FIREBALL! FIREBALL! DOUBLE FIREBALL! FIREBALL!

then i tell them they need to throw more fireballs next time. :lol

So Awsome!
Abel <3

Everybody Let's Give It Up For MVC 3 Using A Modified SFIV/MVC 2 Engine!

GrayFoxPL

riskVSreward said:
I'm not playing on easy you clod :lol That's general Seth strats, I personally play Arcade on 5 or 6. And I don't resort to spamming a single move to beat him, he's legitimately easy for me. Maybe if I picked like Gen, Rose, or someone else I know nothing about, he would give me shit. Most people just aren't playing defensively and constantly attacking.

Clod?

Did I call you a name somewhere that I missed?

GTFO with personal insults mind you?

GrayFoxPL said:
Clod?

Did I call you a name somewhere that I missed?

GTFO with personal insults mind you?
I put the smiley to really drive home that I wasn't using "clod" as a legitimate insult. You silly goose.

Kintaro

riskVSreward said:
Do I detect sarcasm? SF has always had counter characters. Sagat is a beast no matter who the other guy picks, but Rog and Akuma give him the most trouble. Have you been to SRK? It's all well documented there. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my ass to sound "leet."

I didn't say you were. But I mean, if people are going to say it, some links to back these statements up would help. In the end, it's all down to skill no matter what. I think it's an excuse to be honest. If they pick a "counter" character, so what? More practice to make any of that mean absolutely nothing.

Man, Fuerte is such a beast with Revenge Meter. If you jump? Giga Buster. Projectile? Giga Bustah. Any hint of attack animation I can exploit? Giga Bustah. Don't even bother pressuring on wake up. Why? Giga Bustah.

Edit: Your link helps prove my point really.

But that situation will never come up for him, because he has taken the time to master Guile, and he has no need to switch to Chun. Even though Blanka vs. Guile is an uneven match, Muteki knows exactly what he can do, and that match is still totally winnable for him, even against the best Blankas.

Anyone whose completed Sakura's trials, is it possible to connect her Haru Ichiban (EX super) while an opponent is falling to the ground?

Its part of the combo Jump + HK, HP, Shoryuken, Haru Ichiban. I believe its in her 4th trial?

Just can't get the Haru Ichiban to connect. It always misses no matter how much I adjust the timing, as Dan's body is falling.

GMB

Banned
Holy shit, beating Seth with Guile is impossible. Seth goes apeshit and teleports _all the time_ and grabs Guile and do his throw thingie. It's impossible, there's no time to actually do any moves at all. :(

Kintaro said:
I didn't say you were. But I mean, if people are going to say it, some links to back these statements up would help. In the end, it's all down to skill no matter what. I think it's an excuse to be honest. If they pick a "counter" character, so what? More practice to make any of that mean absolutely nothing.

Man, Fuerte is such a beast with Revenge Meter. If you jump? Giga Buster. Projectile? Giga Bustah. Any hint of attack animation I can exploit? Giga Bustah. Don't even bother pressuring on wake up. Why? Giga Bustah.
You're right, so then you shouldn't have any problem with masking the character selection screen, my original point. Even if they aren't going to counter pick, they almost always play games and stall and I end up waiting the full 30 seconds to finally play.

GrayFoxPL said:
Wrong smiley. Silly goose I can eat :D.
Good, I'm glad that didn't get out of hand. :D :D

jibblypop

Banned
woah you guys weren't kidding about people choosing the same characters every time! I just faced 25 ryu/ken/akuma in a row! :lol

the akumas all do the same thing. jump backwards and throw fireballs.

It doesn't make me angry but it is pretty funny. I think this kind of boring play will slow down a bit once people get their absolutely meaningless "achievements" out of the way. Mainly the 10 wins in a row and the 100 wins type ones.

Sometimes I think achievements have made gaming worse because people will do anything to get them even if it means doing the most boring thing over and over.

RubxQub

Kintaro said:

Edit: Your link helps prove my point really.
What move is his Giga Buster again?

Kintaro

riskVSreward said:
You're right, so then you shouldn't have any problem with masking the character selection screen, my original point. Even if they aren't going to counter pick, they almost always play games and stall and I end up waiting the full 30 seconds to finally play.

I don't have a "problem" but it's an empty complaint considering...hell, people waiting out the entire time in HD Remix too with blind selection. <shrugs>

RubxQub said:
What move is his Giga Buster again?

Ultra

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Finally unlocked all chars and finished in hardest difficulty for achievement. For some reason Seth was easier in hardest than easiest, dont ask me why :lol

Anyway, time to do the challenges and focus more on online play.

Already spent too much time on the game :D

Rektash

Unknown Fighter Type II said:
Anyone whose completed Sakura's trials, is it possible to connect her Haru Ichiban (EX super) while an opponent is falling to the ground?

Its part of the combo Jump + HK, HP, Shoryuken, Haru Ichiban. I believe its in her 4th trial?

Just can't get the Haru Ichiban to connect. It always misses no matter how much I adjust the timing, as Dan's body is falling.

I did complete all of them with Sakura. Do the following:

- Watch Dan fly up when u uppercut him. I am serious, as it will help alot.
- Execute the Ex Super a tad after he starts to descent.
- profit.

RubxQub

Kintaro said:
I've found his ultra hard to land, as he jumps a very finite distance and I often end up in front of them or behind them, leaving yourself wide open to a punish.

polyh3dron said:
Begin the double circular motion while coming down from a jump. I have no idea how to pull it off without jumping though.
You can do the green hand, or if you're fast enough, a jab. The problem with that is you can't grab them out of hit stun or block stun, so you have to delay the 3P part just a little bit.

Maaseru

Banned
To get Akuma you have to beat the game with 2 perfs and 2 ultra, but you gotta remmeber that you gotta do it after beating the game with the 6 unlockables before Akuma. There's one other thing that most of the posts for this seems to miss. YOU GOTTA BEAT THE GAME WITH SOMEONE WHO YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME WITH BEFORE. that means beat it with six unlockables and then finish it with someone else.

The same for gouken.

Maaseru said:
To get Akuma you have to beat the game with 2 perfs and 2 ultra, but you gotta remmeber that you gotta do it after beating the game with the 6 unlockables before Akuma. There's one other thing that most of the posts for this seems to miss. YOU GOTTA BEAT THE GAME WITH SOMEONE WHO YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME WITH BEFORE. that means beat it with six unlockables and then finish it with someone else.

The same for gouken.
That doesn't make any sense, since if you've already beaten it with everyone, you couldn't possibly unlock him with those conditions.

RubxQub

Man am I getting tired of all the Akuma/Gouken unlocking talk. No one knows exactly what you have to do to get Gouken, but here we all are prescribing our own methods of how to do it. :lol

Akim

Banned
let me tell you about zangiefs moves, first there is th

LARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIETLARIET

Kintaro

RubxQub said:
I've found his ultra hard to land, as he jumps a very finite distance and I often end up in front of them or behind them, leaving yourself wide open to a punish.

Pro tip: You can control his distance by pushing forward ot back on the stick. For example, someone is pressuring on wake up, after you input the ultra, hold back on the stick and you'll land on them when right on top of you.

Oh you mean the Lariat? I happen to enjoy that move. Also:

29pbspv.gif

RubxQub

Kintaro said:
Pro tip: You can control his distance by pushing forward ot back on the stick. For example, someone is pressuring on wake up, after you input the ultra, hold back on the stick and you'll land on them when right on top of you.
Oooooooooooooh shit!

Thanks man.

Look what i ran into last night!!!!

0222090337.jpg

0222090339.jpg

I threw the fight just to take the pic lol

i don't remember if everyone thought the last one was a shop, but i guess it's not, any conformation if this costume will be in the DLC pack?

oh and sry for the poor image quality

riskVSreward said:
Since we're talking about gripes, my biggest is that they don't hide your/your opponent's character selection when playing over Live. It would put an end to all the stalling and counter picking.
Yeah, this always kinda bothered me when I play fighting games online. When the other dude waits until I pick my character so he can pick a "counter character" to mine. But there are few things more satisfying than beating someone who goes through the trouble of picking a counter character and then demolishing them by just... being better at the game than them. Mmmmmmm... :D

Jaruru

for survival normal:
where quota says 4 WINS but there are 8 stages (level 1-4)
where quota says 8 WINS but there are 12 stages (level 5)

is this normal?
I'm on level 6 right now...

Won

Just played against my first Fuerte with my Balrog. Funny stuff. We both pretty much sucked with our characters, always missing each other with our charges/jumps. Rounds took forever. :lol

Also unlocked Seth. Finally.....they should have thrown some more goodies in there. Bad anime movies are not a good motivation to keep you going.

EraldoCoil said:
Look what i ran into last night!!!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/maidentrooper52/0222090337.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/maidentrooper52/0222090339.jpg[IMG]

I threw the fight just to take the pic lol

i don't remember if everyone thought the last one was a shop, but i guess it's not, any conformation if this costume will be in the DLC pack?

oh and sry for the poor image quality[/QUOTE]
Nice find, maybe they work for Capcom? I just wish she had an outfit with long hair because her boy-cut drives me nuts.

Top Bottom