• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Volcynika

I fought a nice Fei Long that really used some great skills on countering my moves. He beat me (I won a round barely and we went to three rounds), then I sent him a message congratulating him, since I felt he was a great player!

It was the second Fei Long I've ever seen online.

Akuma isn't as common, but it might be the worst.

I played one today that just jumped back into the corner and threw fireballs.

I must have FADC'd 30 fireballs and ultra'd him to win every round. I love how eating fireballs with FADC builds revenge meter.

SonOfABeep said:
It's really that absurd. Probably 80-90% ken players, all of them shitty, all of them aggro.

I usually send them hate mail because I hate them.

"what the hell is wrong with you"

They never block! Just Fierce DP and Jump in RH!
bro, I LOVE when I see someone pick Ken. because I know he's going to abuse he hadoken (it's too pretty and tempting for them not to). and I know they're going to jump in.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

Zeliard

SonOfABeep said:
I must have FADC'd 30 fireballs and ultra'd him to win every round. I love how eating fireballs with FADC builds revenge meter.

That's also the way to get both a perfect and an ultra, if you can manage it.

Wallach

SonOfABeep said:
Akuma isn't as common, but it might be the worst.

I played one today that just jumped back into the corner and threw fireballs.

Akuma's health is probably his only real weakness. His god damn zone game is ridiculously good in this one.

yeah it's effective, but people who use it just abuse it where it becomes a weakness. Sitting in the corner throwing fireballs doesn't help you win in this game, cause chip damage isn't guaranteed.

I get in a few good pokes and it puts him enough behind that he has to start getting in and making mistakes, and then the round's over.

Helps that chun can dash into ultra through fireballs across the whole screen, too.

-PXG-

Stupid Trial Mode. How in the hell am I supposed to go from a jumping HK -> HP -> Canon Spike, when the HP pushes Dan backwards out of range?

does it urk anyone else when they use balrog and only one of your punches from the ultra combo hits? Capcom has to do something about the quitters halfway through a maych. I missed out on so many BPs that way

Zeliard

goldlion054 said:
does it urk anyone else when they use balrog and only one of your punches from the ultra combo hits?

If you hold one of the kick buttons during Rog's ultra or super, he'll start doing uppercuts instead of straight punches. Helpful if you're in a situation where an opponent is heading to the air and you need to juggle, or where a straight punch otherwise wouldn't hit.

Brannon

Dreams-Visions said:
bro, I LOVE when I see someone pick Ken. because I know he's going to abuse he hadoken (it's too pretty and tempting for them not to). and I know they're going to jump in.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

SHORYUKEN!

*wait .4 seconds*

SNAKE STRIKE!

*repeat*

Then they stop, but then I have enough focus power to pull them to the flabulous side...

Fuck the haters.

I started playing Street Fighter 2 when it released (I was 9). I celebrated the week of my 29th birthday playing Street Fighter 4. It looks great, plays great, and is a lot of fun.

I don't care if the timing of different moves are different and what not. I'm not that hardcore. All I know is that the game is a friggin' blast.

Prezhulio

question for 360 owners (though i'm positive i know the answer):

does it let your custom soundtrack continue to play when you play online matches? (i'm sure it does, but i thought i'd ask to see anyways)

the ps3's custom cut out during online matches or while playing arcade while waiting for the online match challenges...pretty annoying

it's so satisfying to reflect back fireballs with rose :D

Volcynika

-PXG- said:
Stupid Trial Mode. How in the hell am I supposed to go from a jumping HK -> HP -> Canon Spike, when the HP pushes Dan backwards out of range?

I forget which one I'm stuck on, I think it's Hard Trial 2. I can't get the third/fourth move to ever work into the combo. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
DoctorWho said:
I'm at 800... :(((((

Do you get more points for fighting in 3 round matches?

Nope

The only reason Im doing well is because of previous SF experience with Ryu+spending some time learbning how to focus properly. If I had stuck to characters Im new with Id be struggling :\ Although my Chun Li online has been almost flawless in the last 3 days (except for a Rose player that beat the shit out of me)

My new rule of thumb is, if you pick a shoto, Ill pick a shoto. If you dont, then Ill pick Chun or Abel.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
goldlion054 said:
does it urk anyone else when they use balrog and only one of your punches from the ultra combo hits?

For his ultra, you want to hold the kick buttons for the 1st, 3rd, and subsequent hits. You want the 2nd one to whiff on purpose so that the rest of them connect.

TimeKillr

-PXG- said:

Try the corner? I don't recall having difficulty with this particular combo...

It's not like Gen's GOD DAMN kick special with screwed up timing. God I hate that move with a passion :) At least the EX version is much easier to pull off.

Oh and I'd love to play some games with you guys. I'll have to add some people to my PSN. :)

Cynar

Raging Spaniard said:
btw finally broke 1500 BP, getting close to Akachan, Teknopathetic and gutter trash, finally! (theyre hovering on the 2000 mark)

I broke 1500 today too, my bison = not garbage anymore :D

I'm glad the game is different. Re-learning chun is pretty fun- I think it'd be boring if it was just HDR or 3S with pretty graphics and ultras.

-PXG-

TimeKillr said:

It's not like Gen's GOD DAMN kick special with screwed up timing. God I hate that move with a passion :) At least the EX version is much easier to pull off.

Oh and I'd love to play some games with you guys. I'll have to add some people to my PSN. :)

Tried that. No dice.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TimeKillr said:

Tell me about it, Gens waterfall kick or whatever the hell it is is the lamest move in the game.

If you hold one of the kick buttons during Rog's ultra or super, he'll start doing uppercuts instead of straight punches. Helpful if you're in a situation where an opponent is heading to the air and you need to juggle, or where a straight punch otherwise wouldn't hit.

Yea, i got all that down, but at times it will fail to even juggle or hit consecutively. blew a match or two like that

dankir

Balrog is the shit!!!

Seriously, his super armour ability off the ( charge, f + 2 punches ) pwns every shoto scrub lol.

Loving it!!

Already at 500 achievement points :)

DoctorWho said:
I'm at 800... :(((((

Do you get more points for fighting in 3 round matches?
i'm at 400 :lol
i've only played like a handful of matches
then my gold sub ran out :lol

good thing costco has those membership cards for cheap

Raging Spaniard said:
Nope

The only reason Im doing well is because of previous SF experience with Ryu+spending some time learbning how to focus properly. If I had stuck to characters Im new with Id be struggling :\ Although my Chun Li online has been almost flawless in the last 3 days (except for a Rose player that beat the shit out of me)

My new rule of thumb is, if you pick a shoto, Ill pick a shoto. If you dont, then Ill pick Chun or Abel.

I guess I'm really frustrated with playing the picking game. I just pick Cammy every time now and I'm essentially learning her through trial by fire. Oh well, I'm hovering around a 50% win loss record and I'm getting better with Cammy.

Serious question: Why have the SRK forums gone to absolute shit since the redesign went live?

I want to scream every day. I'd donate my computer if it meant not reading that the servers are busy every 5 minutes.

It makes absolutely no sense for such a heavily-trafficked website to struggle so profoundly. It's beyond comprehension for me.

Dreams-Visions said:

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

None of them know how to place the Shinryuken but they all want to use it. That plus shoryuken abuse gives me ample time to weave in a shinku or a metsu. Love it.

Guile is the one my strategy has the most problems with.

Zeliard

dankir said:
Balrog is the shit!!!

Seriously, his super armour ability off the ( charge, f + 2 punches ) pwns every shoto scrub lol.

Loving it!!

Already at 500 achievement points :)

Balrog's EX dashes are lovely. I rarely use his Super because his EX moves are so useful.

And yeah, he's the anti-shoto. Headbutt and TAP goes through fireballs, as well as EX dashes since they have armor. When they come in close for the DP, own them with a crouching jab combo.

LordK

I've finished Chun-li's trial and am on Cammy's 5th hard. Two FADCs, one forward dash, one backward dash. That's not actually the hard part for me either, haha.

usea

Dreams-Visions said:
It makes absolutely no sense for such a heavily-trafficked website to struggle so profoundly. It's beyond comprehension for me.
You can't comprehend why a site with tons of traffic might struggle?

TimeKillr

haunts said:
Tell me about it, Gens waterfall kick or whatever the hell it is is the lamest move in the game.

Only normal trial I haven't completed is Gen's. No way am I going to waste time pulling that shit off (especially when there's no frame of reference to properly learn it).

Besides, I never liked Gen. Screw him! :)

My problem now in SF4 is that I don't know who to play. I was somewhat tempted to play with Abel, and it seems he'll be my pick, but only because I don't have anyone else I'm really interested in playing. I was going to play Guile but his pressure game has been severely toned down due to his crappy flash kick and Focus Attacks that can take off a lot of Sonic Boom pressure...

I wanted to like El Fuerte too, but I dunno. Running around everywhere isn't my style. That's my gripe with the game (but it's purely personal, heh) that I don't have a character I click with. Usually when I play a fighting game I start off in the training mode with all the characters, learning their moves and seeing how they work, and it never takes long before I settle on someone I like. For Tekken that was Asuza Kazama, VF had Aoi, 3S has Makoto, ST has Guile... In CvS2 I play unplayed characters for the most part: King, Raiden, Todo, Rock. But SF4.. I still don't know who to play. Nobody feels natural for me :(

keanerie said:
I'm never going to finish Viper's Trial Mode.

If you mean Normal trial and you have problems with the FA -> EX Thunder -> Ultra, you gotta cancel the FA with a dash forward before completing it. Took me a while to realize you could still cancel FAs after they hit.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
DoctorWho said:
I guess I'm really frustrated with playing the picking game. I just pick Cammy every time now and I'm essentially learning her through trial by fire. Oh well, I'm hovering around a 50% win loss record and I'm getting better with Cammy.

Go old school and play on hard mode against the cpu till her moves become second nature to you and you get used to other characters moves and priorities. I think youll have more success online after doing that :)

DrBo42

There is nothing more frustrating than playing this game with the stock 360 controller. I want to rip my hair out. AHHHH! :lol

Raging Spaniard said:
Go old school and play on hard mode against the cpu till her moves become second nature to you and you get used to other characters moves and priorities. I think youll have more success online after doing that :)

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do that. I've already started on the harder level challenge modes with her.

I just beat Seth with Gouken to unlock him... that's everyone, right? He had me down to literally a sliver of life, but I managed to time a Shin Shoryuken just as he was jumping in and caught his feet. 'Twas a thing of beauty.

Also, during an online challenge I faced my first Guile ever. At first all he was doing was putting out normal attacks, like he couldn't time the specials right or something. So thinking it was an inexperienced player, I let him get some shots in before my Boxer knocked him off.

Next match, he picks Sagat and falls into the same old sh*t routine as everybody else. :(

Raging Spaniard

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to do that. I've already started on the harder level challenge modes with her.

It will help, my problem right now is that I play everybody like Ryu and its costing me some matches. Its all about knowing how you can use the whole arsenal against people (medium kicks over strong kicks, shit like that)

Props for sticking with her though

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TimeKillr said:
Only normal trial I haven't completed is Gen's. No way am I going to waste time pulling that shit off (especially when there's no frame of reference to properly learn it).

Besides, I never liked Gen. Screw him! :)

My problem now in SF4 is that I don't know who to play. I was somewhat tempted to play with Abel, and it seems he'll be my pick, but only because I don't have anyone else I'm really interested in playing. I was going to play Guile but his pressure game has been severely toned down due to his crappy flash kick and Focus Attacks that can take off a lot of Sonic Boom pressure...

I wanted to like El Fuerte too, but I dunno. Running around everywhere isn't my style. That's my gripe with the game (but it's purely personal, heh) that I don't have a character I click with. Usually when I play a fighting game I start off in the training mode with all the characters, learning their moves and seeing how they work, and it never takes long before I settle on someone I like. For Tekken that was Asuza Kazama, VF had Aoi, 3S has Makoto, ST has Guile... In CvS2 I play unplayed characters for the most part: King, Raiden, Todo, Rock. But SF4.. I still don't know who to play. Nobody feels natural for me :(

If you mean Normal trial and you have problems with the FA -> EX Thunder -> Ultra, you gotta cancel the FA with a dash forward before completing it. Took me a while to realize you could still cancel FAs after they hit.

C. Viper and Abel are probably most like Makoto in this game, Fuerte is a lot of fun once you get good with him, and you may want to try Guile since he is an unplayed character as well. YOu are probably having a hard time clicking with the game becuase it feels different than any other SF so far.

dankir

DrBo42 said:
There is nothing more frustrating than playing this game with the stock 360 controller. I want to rip my hair out. AHHHH! :lol

I'm quite good with it now actually. It's pretty awesome for characters like Balrog, Honda, Blanka, Chun Li,etc.

I'm quite good with Sagat too, I alternate between the pad and the stick actually.

But that will all change when I get my TE stick this week.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Been playing with Fei Long a bit tonight, and I'm having quite a fun time with him. Does anyone main him? I haven't come across him online.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
For those of you having trouble against Sagat, all I can say is dont jump in at him at a range any closer than half the screen and even that is pushing it.. From full screen you can hop over a tiger shot then slowly work your way in. He is somehwat weak to cross ups and tick throws, so if you can get in there with some block strings and throw him and bait an uppercut you should do well.. A lot of shitty Sagat players online will jump right in as well so if you're playing agains tone of those just punish their jump ins.

If you're a shoto and get in a fireball fight, his high tiger shot is faster than your fireball so you will lose, but sometimes its good to play that game until the last shot then start to advance in.

Ferrio

Banned
GGs Mox. I'm starting to get in the groove with Rose. Pokey little bitch she is. God she rocks (contemplates making her the main)

Sandman42

I just played an awesome online match. I was Abel against Fei Long, and it was the final round(1-1). Fei Long was kicking my ass and I had less than 10% health, but full ultra gauge. He was around 35% with a minimum ultra gauge. I was knocked down and just getting up, Fei Long thought it was a good idea to finish me off with a Ultra and unleashed it as I was getting up.

Bad move! I executed a LK roll move and rolled through his ultra then immediately input my ultra. Abel's ultra is usually hard to connect with unless you combo into it, but Fei Long's back was exposed, and his health bar was taken from 35% to 0.

That was my one moment in Street Fighter online!:lol I'm not very good, but I try to improve my Abel every time I get a chance. :D

TimeKillr

haunts said:
C. Viper and Abel are probably most like Makoto in this game, Fuerte is a lot of fun once you get good with him, and you may want to try Guile since he is an unplayed character as well. YOu are probably having a hard time clicking with the game becuase it feels different than any other SF so far.

I don't really treat the game as an "SF" game - I didn't treat SF3 that way and it's how it made me pick Makoto... Of course for 3S it's much easier to get into that frame of mind.

C. Viper felt sort of weird, but I didn't dislike her. I just find her Thunder Hammer strange. I always expect the normal versions to combo into something.. Feels like Fei Long. :)

But yeah, Abel is probably my best match. I haven't fooled around online yet, but I certainly will. Maybe I can develop Guile into something...

MGrant

haunts said:
If you're a shoto and get in a fireball fight, his high tiger shot is faster than your fireball so you will lose, but sometimes its good to play that game until the last shot then start to advance in.

Agreed. I play Rose, but I love fireball fights with Sagat. It's an easy way to get half a meter, even if it is unsustainable.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BTW RS, sorry about that invite. I was playing a friend who was fiending so to play something different than Shotos online. So I got in some good Fuerte time against him.

Fuerte has a poor wake up defense though. =/ EX Guacamole is sweepable and if you're in a corner, EX run is kind of useless.

Top Bottom