• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

CPS2

Oh my god you can't just say "SRK hates SFIV." Look at who is making the comments, did they join in Feb 09? What do they think of other fighters? Are they so obsessed with Arcana Hearts that they hate the burly muscles of the SF cast? There isn't a dude known as SRK who shits on things, that's like saying GAF loves SFIV.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
UC1 said:
Oh my god you can't just say "SRK hates SFIV." Look at who is making the comments, did they join in Feb 09? What do they think of other fighters? Are they so obsessed with Arcana Hearts that they hate the burly muscles of the SF cast? There isn't a dude known as SRK who shits on things, that's like saying GAF loves SFIV.

GAF loves SFIV?!?!?!

God Hand is gonna be piiiiiiiiiissed.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
UC1 said:
Exactly. The oldtimers and veterans of SF and fighting games hate the game and I just don't get it. It's not people trolling but people who have posted there for years.

As for me. FUCKKKKK it's SFIV sheeeeeiiiit! Best fighting game ever! Seriously I am not kidding. This blows SF2, 3TS, GGXX, VF5 and all that shit out of the damn water.

I read the Sirlin article.

Nothing is worth complaining about in that article, except maybe the 50% link combos. But, first of all we are talking about hard as shit, ST level links, 1 frame links. Not easy to do. Even then, so virgin boy masters them. So what, even then you need full Ultra to get 50% or more. And there are 50%+ links in ST and worse but that doesn't change ST from being awesome.

Secondly, Capcom knows about it! It's part of the challenge mode.

3rd, there is nothing wrong with Kara throws. Capcom knows about them, and they actually made 3s a better game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
CardPlayer, what are you talking about? Most top players from previous SF games love this game. you have some random people on SRK bitching about whatever but it's not even worth reading imo. This game will be around for a long time.

Future

Most definitive Street Fighters arent the first iterations as everyone knows

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo > Street Fighter 2
Alpha 2/3 > Alpha
3rd Strike > SF3

etc.

Hopefully this game gets the same iterations it needs to please everyone. And now many of the changes might be able to be patched in instead of having to buy a whole new version. I think its pretty good as is though.

Question for GAF... what's your etiquette on character selection? Do you wait and see who your opponent chooses, then make your pick? Or do you just go for whomever your main is regardless of whom they're choosing?

Tonight I've just been hanging back, waiting to see if my opponent is going to pick somebody fresh or just go straight for Ken. If they pick someone else, then I usually pick someone I haven't tried; but if they pick Ken, I'll usually go shoto vs. shoto and go for Ryu.

And if they pick nothing but Ken, I pick Dan and just taunt and jump over fireballs. :lol

CPS2

TheCardPlayer said:
Exactly. The oldtimers and veterans of SF and fighting games hate the game and I just don't get it. It's not people trolling but people who have posted there for years.

As for me. FUCKKKKK it's SFIV sheeeeeiiiit! Best fighting game ever! Seriously I am not kidding. This blows SF2, 3TS, GGXX, VF5 and all that shit out of the damn water.

No wait, dude I'm calling you out. Who are you talking about specifically and why should I listen to them? I don't particularly care what Sirlin thinks because he's not a 3S fan.

TheCardPlayer said:

I'm 24 years old. I been around SRK for alongggg time. You know who you hear bitching? It's the grumpy, frumpy old dudes going on 40's that never got to the top, who just shat all over the new games.

To them, everything is held to Street Fighter 2 Turbo and nothing will ever top that game (even though ST is flawed too. So is Turbo. So is Alpha. They all are live with it).

I listened to the bitching all throughout the 3rd Strike years. I listened to the arguments on why I shouldn't like the game, and why it sucks and this and that for years I put up with it. It's not letting it happen again.

Along comes an SF game that is modern, balanced, and fun. I'm not letting these old farts piss on my parade again. It didn't stop me from enjoying 3s and it won't stop me from enjoying this.

Keep this in mind whenever you read these articles. Is is article written by Daigo or Alex Valle? No. They are too busy whooping ass and having fun mastering the game. It is written by bitter old men who will bitch and whine about anything. Fuck them.

And that's all you need to know. Now lets move on.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The game hasent even been out a week, and the comments on SRK are just hilarious. People thinking they can just walk right in an master the game and have an opinion on it in under 7 days.. too funny..

Rektash

Jesus christ Zangief needs to be rebalanced. They don t have to make him actually a weaker fighter, but rebalance is definitly neccessary. He has moves that are way too easy to pull of with way too much effect. He is like the old Zangief only with much easier inputs.

TheCardPlayer

UC1 said:
No wait, dude I'm calling you out. Who are you talking about specifically and why should I listen to them? I don't particularly care what Sirlin thinks because he's not a 3S fan.
I don't care about them either. I sincerly think the game is the hottest thing since sliced bread and we can already tell it's a mainstream success. I just hate how the hardcore players seemingly won't be supporting the game and I hope it's doesn't have an early death because of their bullshit.

And haunts I thought you disliked the game? I remember reading your posts around the time it came out in the arcades in Japan and you seem to really not like it. I hope they come around like you did. Then again, you aren't an internet troll so maybe they won't.:lol

Wallach

haunts said:
CardPlayer, what are you talking about? Most top players from previous SF games love this game. you have some random people on SRK bitching about whatever but it's not even worth reading imo. This game will be around for a long time.

This is more of the vibe I get. SRK itself sort of has a negative tone to it at the moment, but a lot of that is due to the humongous influx of users caused by the console release of SFIV. There's been a lot of dumb "WAT IS DRAGON PUNCH COMMANDS" type questions/threads and it's pissing off a lot of people.

Sure, the game has some issues but for the first iteration of a SF game it plays very well. There's no reason to be worried about this game's chance on the tournament scene.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
haunts said:
The game hasent even been out a week, and the comments on SRK are just hilarious. People thinking they can just walk right in an master the game and have an opinion on it in under 7 days.. too funny..

It's awesome. People hated SFIII to death when it was first out too. Even 3s people still hated. 10 years later and its the holy grail of fighting games.

I'm still getting to grips with SFIV. Its great for the most part. I know one thing though. I will be playing it for years to come.

f0nz0

ive developed a bad habit when facing players who pick either sagat or akuma :( , now the scrubs i can deal with usually , but u know those players who are good at performing the moves (air fireballs akuma, hi and low fireballs sagat) and just keep you at a distance and dont want to mix it up, whenever this happens i just taunt till they kill me with their projectiles.

yes its wack, just a sign of frustration on my part, im trying to get better

DarkSloth

Spike Spiegel said:
Question for GAF... what's your etiquette on character selection? Do you wait and see who your opponent chooses, then make your pick? Or do you just go for whomever your main is regardless of whom they're choosing?
I just pick my character right away on ranked and non-ranked matches. I don't take bp points seriously, so I just pick my character and try to get good against someone's best character.

haunts said:

There are alot of idiots on SRK. The only place you will find sanity is strategy zone, because there you find players who are serious about the game, know what they are talking about, frame data, combos, strats etc.

CPS2

TheCardPlayer said:
I don't care about them either. I sincerly think the game is the hottest thing since sliced bread and we can already tell it's a mainstream success. I just hate how the hardcore players seemingly won't be supporting the game and I hope it's doesn't have an early death because of their bullshit.

And haunts I thought you disliked the game? I remember reading your posts around the time it came out in the arcades in Japan and you seem to really not like it. I hope they come around like you did. Then again, you aren't an internet troll so maybe they won't.:lol

Unsubstantiated bullshit.

I'm sorry man, it's good that you like SFIV but you have no idea what you're talking about. I could list some top players from ST and 3S backgrounds who love SF4, but I don't want to embarrass anyone. Lets just say that there's tonnes of them.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TheCardPlayer said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242876

Router said:
It's awesome. People hated SFIII to death when it was first out too. Even 3s people still hated. 10 years later and its the holy grail of fighting games.

I'm still getting to grips with SFIV. Its great for the most part. I know one thing though. I will be playing it for years to come.

Yeah and the best part is a lot of the complainers are people who are 7 years too late to 3s, cant do an air parry in SFIV so they hate it. Thats really generalizing I know but most of the posts I read are people who just wont open their mind and are trying to play SFIV like some other game.

MrBeggar

re: Sirlin's comments.

Being someone that has strongly disliked Sirlin's views and comments since the early gatherings '94/95 and the alt.games.sf2 days I must admit that I .. agree wholeheartedly with his comments regarding sf4

Everything he has stated does make sense.
Blind select, button config screen, input lag, floaty jumps, hooligan 2button throw (Wtf?)
character unlocks and the input for roman/focus cancelling.

These are the main things that keep me from liking this game. I shouldn't be forcing myself to enjoy it. Remix too has its many faults but I have alot more fun playing it and never thought I'd feel this way about sf4.
This quote really stuck out for me:
"I wish we could get rid of all this stuff and focus more on the gameplay itself."
Hm no wonder the crowds/lines are bigger to play ST/98UM/Tekken than sf4 in tokyo.

Funny it took 15 years for me to finally share his views on something. lol

TheCardPlayer

Oh don't think I hate Third Strike, I think it's the most technical 2d fighter ever. But all those kara throws, kara cancels, parries, anti-air parries, etc.

It made things way too complicated to get into unlike SFII. Sure the gameplay was better but I rather have simple yet balanced like SF2/4.

Oh and go, go character unlocks. Replay value is a problem now?

Wallach

f0nz0 said:
ive developed a bad habit when facing players who pick either sagat or akuma :( , now the scrubs i can deal with usually , but u know those players who are good at performing the moves (air fireballs akuma, hi and low fireballs sagat) and just keep you at a distance and dont want to mix it up, whenever this happens i just taunt till they kill me with their projectiles.

yes its wack, just a sign of frustration on my part, im trying to get better

Those two probably have the strongest zone/keep-away games out of anyone. Akuma in particular is actually very difficult to chase down if the other player is any good.

Who are you playing as?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Online is terrible. At least for me. I'll be lucky to connect to a game yet alone one with lag. Longest wait was like 20 minutes. Unable to play keeps popping up.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TheCardPlayer said:

What are you talking about? Just about every top player is playing the game, from both old games and new games. Are you even reading the same forums as haunts and I?

Router said:

People didn't just hate it when it came out, it was outright dismissed and not even played in tournaments.

Fast forward a few years and enough people realized how fucking badass it is, it's been the most popular for about 6 years. But it still got/gets massive amounts of hate, even today. I'd have to say it's the most hated Street Fighter, probably part of the reason I love it so much.

As for SRK, you factor in too much rage and testosterone, money matches, and it's no wonder there is so much hate there. Rage breads hate, hate breed rage. Serious business in fighting game world. We even hate on our own games. Sometimes ourselves. Best to stay away from our discussion boards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheCardPlayer said:
I am not talking about Sirlin's stuff but the hardcore fighting games forums seem to be taking a huge dump on the game so far and I don't think it's going to take off.

Which is a shame because it's the best damn SF ever.
It's possible that it will take off without them. The game has some very strong first week sales.

TheCardPlayer

Anyway, sorry to derailing the topic. Back to SFIV and it's glorious awesomeness. Except for Zangief who's a piece of shit. Not because he's bad. But...you know.

LARIAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoxManiac

TheCardPlayer said:
Oh don't think I hate Third Strike, I think it's the most technical 2d fighter ever. But all those kara throws, kara cancels, parries, anti-air parries, etc.

It made things way too complicated to get into unlike SFII. Sure the gameplay was better but I rather have simple yet balanced like SF2/4.

Oh and go, go character unlocks. Replay value is a problem now?

The replay value is the online play (and local versus for people that have offline opponents). Locking characters away just creates wasted time that would be better spent playing online/versus.

Zeliard

Oichi said:
What are you talking about? Just about every top player is playing the game, from both old games and new games. Are you even reading the same forums as haunts and I?

I don't get where he's coming from. He says "go to SRK and you'll see", and when there's basically nothing there, he says "trust me I've talked to some hardcore players and they hate it."

It's like he has this complex where he likes the game but somehow wants it to fail.

TheCardPlayer said:

So that is your rebuttle?
dunno how to spell

Yeah ok don't try to insult me when you don't know your shit.

Kara throws are about the simplist technique in 3rd Strike. Easier than even basic combos. And it's not hard to understand. It gives you a couple millimeters extra range on throws. Wow. Too much depth I can't wrap my head around it.

Parry is another brain buster. Anti-Air parries, god don't even get me started. I need to go play Tekken and clear my head.

-PXG-

I haven't even touched my PS3 copy. I'm still waiting for my Saturn pad. It already shipped (from Honk Kong). I guess I just wait for now, and keep on playing on the 360. Sucks that I can't copy savedata.....BS....

Ridli

So I'm curious, how do you folks deal with Abel's Change of Direction? I ran into a player that essentially spammed the thing back and forth and I could block the initial 2 hits easily, but the throw screws me over again and again. It looks like I can block it if I play the right guessing game of high or low, but the animation seems so similar between the two I end up losing out more often then not.

So how do you get out of it? It feels wrong that I could successfully block two attacks and then just sit there like a chump and eat the throw at the end. I feel like I should be able to punish after they whiff the first two attacks... so what am I doing wrong gaf?

Wallach

MoxManiac said:
The replay value is the online play (and local versus for people that have offline opponents). Locking characters away just creates wasted time that would be better spent playing online/versus.

I agree with this as well. It's not a big deal but it is kind of dumb to have to play the AI a certain number of times to get what you really want out of the multi, which is probably what 90% of the people playing actually care about. I guess they really wanted to have the console users to have reason to play the single-player modes, but I would have rather the less meaningful stuff been locked rather than characters.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Guled said:
Cammy is really awesome

She is. I don't sue her but my friends do. She has an insane priority and all her attacks do chip damage. To beat her I just play patient and attack below. It's a tactical match really (at least against Chun).

BTW, those Challenges are damn crazy :lol

TheCardPlayer

Anyway it's see that there's quite a little coalition of Shoryuken members here. I just know I shouldn't have hated on that board.

I think I am starting to hate GAF with all these fucking bullshit cliques and the fact that you can't post anything anymore without a bunch of motherfuckers ganging up on you, cause they got nothing better to do when they are not comparing their fucking e-peens. Get you head out of your goddamn ass people.

I am fucking out of here.

Ferrio

Banned
You know. I think it's karma on my part. I BITCHED AND MOANED when Rose was announced. Though now she's one of my two characters, and I really enjoy her. She plays a really nice zoning game, and has a very nice crossup that leads into some good damage.

"So I'm curious, how do you folks deal with Abel's Change of Direction? I ran into a player that essentially spammed the thing back and forth and I could block the initial 2 hits easily, but the throw screws me over again and again. It looks like I can block it if I play the right guessing game of high or low, but the animation seems so similar between the two I end up losing out more often then not."

None of the hits of CoD are safe on block. Reversal, some jabs, etc.

Raw64life

I like this game a lot so far, but not as much as HD Remix or Third Strike. I feel like a total scrub playing this game. I still don't have a main, but I'll always pick one of Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Sagat, Bison, Zangief or Honda.

I'm still having trouble timing stuff whereas I had it basically perfect in HD Remix. Sometimes I'll knock someone down and then they'll get up and do an ultra, and while they're winding up the ultra and the camera is zooming in, I'll see that my character's foot is through their body. That kind of annoys me. I also have some questions...

- Is there any way to remove the menu music? Through custom soundtracks possibly? So painful to my ears every single time I hear it.

- Any place to figure out what specifically you need to do to get certain titles/icons?

- Any way to figure out you're win/loss record just for ranked matches?

TheCardPlayer said:
Anyway it's see that there's quite a little coalition of Shoryuken members here. I just know I shouldn't have hated on that board.

I think I am starting to hate GAF with all these fucking bullshit cliques and the fact that you can't post anything anymore without a bunch of motherfuckers ganging up on you, cause they got nothing better to do when they are not comparing their fucking e-peens. Get you head out of your goddamn ass people.

I am fucking out of here.

Chill out man. Love unity and respect. You Lol'd one of my comments so I had to put you in your place. Noone is hating on you, we ain't gangin up. It's all good.

I hate on SRK sometimes, and it's my birthplace. Read my comments, I don't kiss the grumpy old mens asses there.

I'm with you though SF4 is the fucking truth and you should all be playing it and getting better.

Moving on.

Top Bottom