• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

-PXG-

One of my co-workers is friends with a dude who runs an arcade repair shop. He told me he has TONS of spare parts. I'm gonna see if I can get him to make me a custom stick :D

MoxManiac

Ferrio said:
GGs Mox. I'm starting to get in the groove with Rose. Pokey little bitch she is. God she rocks (contemplates making her the main)

Yeah, you had a strong zoning game going on there with her. Nice crossups too!

Ferrio

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Yeah, you had a strong zoning game going on there with her. Nice crossups too!

Heh, until I do something stupid like a soul spark when Abel has a ultra ready. Did that once and was like "Okay let's not do that again", then promptly forgot that bit of self advice.

Over.... over THE ROG?!?!?!@?

She's hilarious to play so far for me. Her range and pokes are nuts.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:
BTW RS, sorry about that invite. I was playing a friend who was fiending so to play something different than Shotos online. So I got in some good Fuerte time against him.

Fuerte has a poor wake up defense though. =/ EX Guacamole is sweepable and if you're in a corner, EX run is kind of useless.

Hey no prob, I know how it is :) Ill try again next time Im on :) (Ill usually wait around a minute in the lobby)

Toonami 99 said:
How do you unlock Icons? I played online most of the afternoon and only unlocked one icon.

Most Icons I seem to get from winning consecutive fights, but I dont get given many Icons, unlike titles that I get for almost every fight.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
dreamcastmaster said:
Most Icons I seem to get from winning consecutive fights, but I dont get given many Icons, unlike titles that I get for almost every fight.

You also get them from certain BP milestones, so its a good indicator of BP sometimes

usea

What are some good strategies as abel against ryu/ken etc?

I'm not a good player, but I can execute his moves fine. I don't attempt any complicated combos beyond c.fp into falling sky or wheel kick. Once I get in up close though, I find his normals too slow compared to ryu/ken (the only people I've fought so far). The only time I find myself landing a move is after blocking a predictable wakeup shoryuken.

And I can't punish a jump in for anything. I find myself blocking strings of hp or hk and then unable to retaliate. Any tips?

Sandman42

usea said:

I'm not a good player, but I can execute his moves fine. I don't attempt any complicated combos beyond c.fp into falling sky or wheel kick. Once I get in up close though, I find his normals too slow compared to ryu/ken (the only people I've fought so far). The only time I find myself landing a move is after blocking a predictable wakeup shoryuken.

And I can't punish a jump in for anything. I find myself blocking strings of hp or hk and then unable to retaliate. Any tips?
I'm also an Abel player here. I'm not great, but I can win a couple.

I find Abel's roll to be his most useful tool in confusing online opponents. Then his tornado throw whenever you have the opening. Other than that, I'm looking for good advice myself. I've found his crouching MK to be effective and his LK wheelkick. You could always try to FADC into crouching FP into wheelkick or ultra.

gutter_trash said:
my head hurts, i must not play anymore... but i still want to

This happened to me. I got to that point where I should stop playing the game and I didn't stop. I actually started to feel a bit dizzy.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
usea said:

USe his roll to pass through fireballs, get in close and do a Tornado Throw. Once they are on the ground, cross up with MK. If it hits, go for c.mp into change of direction. If they block it gor for another tornado throw. If they jump either roll away or use S. mk to hit them out of the air.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Grrr, I keep running into stupid roadblocks. Im trying to do Cammys Trial mode, the last combo on the fourth one, Quick Spin Knuckle into Ultra and every fucking time I do it, it does the super instead. Is there someway to prevent the super from happening (I wish the fucking gauge wouldn't refill)? It's really frustrating that I have the ability to pull it off but the game just decides to register the wrong move. I'm using a fightpad and using the bumper that is mapped to all three kicks.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Playing ranked for me at this point is just a damn liability.. im only getting like 15 bp for each one I win and if lose I lose close to 100? this sucks.. im thinking about just not playing ranked till everyone gets over 5k then hop back on. haha

haunts said:
Playing ranked for me at this point is just a damn liability.. im only getting like 15 bp for each one I win and if lose I lose close to 100? this sucks.. im thinking about just not playing ranked till everyone gets over 5k then hop back on. haha
where is you BP at these days?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Im at 4300-4400 now i think? I was in the top 30 on ranked last time i checked so yeah that means only 30 ppl out of everyone who has this game that I can get big points from. :lol

pelicansurf said:
Grrr, I keep running into stupid roadblocks. Im trying to do Cammys Trial mode, the last combo on the fourth one, Quick Spin Knuckle into Ultra and every fucking time I do it, it does the super instead. Is there someway to prevent the super from happening (I wish the fucking gauge wouldn't refill)? It's really frustrating that I have the ability to pull it off but the game just decides to register the wrong move. I'm using a fightpad and using the bumper that is mapped to all three kicks.

i cant get through lvl 4 for ken with the DS3 :(. looking for stick prices to go back down this week, HRAP3 on amazon has already gone back down about 100 from the 200 inflation it had like a day ago.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
haunts said:
Im at 4300-4400 now i think? I was in the top 30 on ranked last time i checked so yeah that means only 30 ppl out of everyone who has this game that I can get big points from. :lol

I need to play you to get some bp :D

haunts said:
i think I need to borrow some BP from you. :D

I took the last 3 days off from ranked play. quite unintentionally. I got caught up trying to perfect some damn stick art. stick came out good, but not considering the amount of time invested. so I'm still at a little over 2,000.

*sigh*

not enough hours in the day.

but many congrats on such a high rank! an achievement to be sure.

NZNova

Seeeeeeeeriously tempted to get the TE stick to replace my Hori one. It's $NZ399 locally though, bleh. Might be cheaper to import one.

Chorazin

NZNova said:
Seeeeeeeeriously tempted to get the TE stick to replace my Hori one. It's $NZ399 locally though, bleh. Might be cheaper to import one.

If you can find one, that is. Ebay has crazy prices for these things!

Duelist

This BP stuff is a load of crap. Too many people game the ranking system to the point where it's not even a good indicator of skill anymore. I've played people well into the 1000s and 2000s that are the same Ken scrubs that have no points.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
NZNova said:

did u get the arcade ex?

i'm loving mine

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Duelist said:
This BP stuff is a load of crap. Too many people game the ranking system to the point where it's not even a good indicator of skill anymore. I've played people well into the 1000s and 2000s that are the same Ken scrubs that have no points.

Online play is not very accurate representation of skill period, so of course Bp doesn't mean too much either. But it is fun, only reason why i bother with it and people tend to play a little bit more serious.

Cynar

Prezhulio said:
question for 360 owners (though i'm positive i know the answer):

does it let your custom soundtrack continue to play when you play online matches? (i'm sure it does, but i thought i'd ask to see anyways)

the ps3's custom cut out during online matches or while playing arcade while waiting for the online match challenges...pretty annoying

it's so satisfying to reflect back fireballs with rose :D

yup, custom soundtracks continue to play when you play online matches on 360 :D

jacobs34

YES! 100 ranked wins, finally. It took me around 30 matches to get the hang of things. I mainly play Sagat because of the insane amount of Shotos out there. I love rocking back and forth while ducked and waiting for the Kens to get impatient and jump in with a spinning kick or a dragon punch. It takes patience to stay back and wait, but it's almost a guaranteed win.

DarkSloth

I haven't fought very many Kens and whatnot today. I saw a nice variety. It was hard on me with some charge characters, as I'm used to expecting others to be the main offensive force.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as much as i like this game, i'm playing it much less than i did hd remix just because the process of finding online games is so slow :/

drohne said:
as much as i like this game, i'm playing it much less than i did hd remix just because the process of finding online games is so slow :/

I find it quicker to get an online game if I got into arcade mode and wait for challengers.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wouldn't recommend playing both games at the same time -- it's disorienting. i played a bit of hd remix the other night and kept trying to dash and two-button throw. definitely pick it up at some point down the line though.

Raging Spaniard

Y2Kev said:
If I like 4 quite a bit, would you recommend going back and getting HD Remix?

Im not planning on playing HDR ever again, if that helps.

Im confident well see more player variety down the line, people are just getting their feet wet as of now.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Duelist said:

I agree.. It wasnt up until I got over 3500 where i ran into some better players and mst of the sub 3k players are mediocre at best.

Sallokin

I love the stage that has the aircraft cruising up on the runway. First because when the door opens it has either Balrog or Vega hanging out and secondly because I did Gouken's ultra and blew the damn wing off the airplane. Little things like that make me love this game more and more.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
So is there any word on a patch for multiplayer lobby where you can have 4 players in a game and two players fight while the other 2 players wait there turn to battle the winner? AKA Soul Calibur 4 unranked match lobby set up.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Raging Spaniard said:
Im not planning on playing HDR ever again, if that helps.

Im confident well see more player variety down the line, people are just getting their feet wet as of now.

yes, soon instead of ken it'll be a bunch of sagats.... can't wait...

I think I'm one of the few that doesn't care who the person picks.

I just played my first few online matches (unranked). They brought a smile to my face.

In my third fight, I won on the third round using Ken's Target Combo > Fierce Shoryuken > Super. It felt so friggin' good -- like the old days back in the arcade.

Despite being an XBox Live Gold Member, it was also my first online gamer vs gamer experience. Beyond memorable!

Top Bottom