• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
I like this game a lot so far, but not as much as HD Remix or Third Strike. I feel like a total scrub playing this game. I still don't have a main, but I'll always pick one of Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Sagat, Bison, Zangief or Honda.

I'm still having trouble timing stuff whereas I had it basically perfect in HD Remix. Sometimes I'll knock someone down and then they'll get up and do an ultra, and while they're winding up the ultra and the camera is zooming in, I'll see that my character's foot is through their body. That kind of annoys me. I also have some questions...

- Is there any way to remove the menu music? Through custom soundtracks possibly? So painful to my ears every single time I hear it.

- Any place to figure out what specifically you need to do to get certain titles/icons?

- Any way to figure out you're win/loss record just for ranked matches?

Nobody?

Y2Kev said:
If I like 4 quite a bit, would you recommend going back and getting HD Remix?

Yes, but not while you're still actively playing SFIV. It will fuck up your timing and make you suck at both. From my experience anyways.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gunstar77 said:
So is there any word on a patch for multiplayer lobby where you can have 4 players in a game and two players fight while the other 2 players wait there turn to battle the winner? AKA Soul Calibur 4 unranked match lobby set up.

I think theres a patch out shortly that adds a tournament mode and other stuff. Not sure about the details though

Raw64life said:

PS3 supports custom soundtracks (dunno about 360, Im assuming it does) Other than that, the song stays (you can change its language in the audio settings though)

Id check Shoryuken.com for icon and title details. Go trough the modes and get BP, reaching milestones in both of those will help.

Not sure about the record, Ive checked the records page and Im guessing it was talking about ranked matches, but dont take my word for it

Sallokin said:
I love the stage that has the aircraft cruising up on the runway. First because when the door opens it has either Balrog or Vega hanging out and secondly because I did Gouken's ultra and blew the damn wing off the airplane. Little things like that make me love this game more and more.

Two things I love -- forcing the guy on the bike in the crowded street to fall over.

And, Balrog yelling "My fight money!" when he loses.

One more for good measure -- forceful landings on the boat in "Sunset Bay" force fish out of the water. There are lots of great touches.

Capcom pulled it off.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dreams-Visions said:
have you had much trouble with lag affecting your inputs?

not too much but some matches I feel I cant attack on reaction, and I punish on reaction a lot.. Like I had this match with Abel where I had the right idea but I felt lag was stopping me from throwing him out of his rolls, punishing jump ins and other shit :\

n3ss

aka acr0nym
haunts said:
not too much but some matches I feel I cant attack on reaction, and I punish on reaction a lot.. Like I had this match with Abel where I had the right idea but I felt lag was stopping me from throwing him out of his rolls, punishing jump ins and other shit :\

LAG Blows...

Seriously, timing/muscle memory can be really important some times and punishing on reaction but with such different speeds of playing online, the console and the arcade version is totally throwing me off. I actually my not play at the arcade as much if they don't ever updated it cause it's at a slower speed.

gonna be online tonight for some matches?

that sucks about no quarter mode. i hope they patch it. game gets kind of boring fighting strangers in ranked matches over and over. one of my favorite things about prior SF games is getting a few people off my buddy list in the same lobby with mics and talking shit while playing!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
n3ss said:
LAG Blows...

Seriously, timing/muscle memory can be really important some times and punishing on reaction but with such different speeds of playing online, the console and the arcade version is totally throwing me off. I actually my not play at the arcade as much if they don't ever updated it cause it's at a slower speed.

gonna be online tonight for some matches?

Yeah going to the arcade the other day was wierd, it felt slower and the maerican sticks throw me off too. hah..

im on right now if you want to play... work tomorrow.. :(

haunts said:
I agree.. It wasnt up until I got over 3500 where i ran into some better players and mst of the sub 3k players are mediocre at best.

This kind of drives home the problem with the BP system, because the matchmaking treats it like a measure of skill, when a lot of the people are pumping up just by raw time investment., so for players who have the skill but not the time they're flailing around in an ocean of hour-pounder garbage players and getting the right matches to decently pump up your BP to match your skill is a total crapshoot.

No ranking system is perfect.

I agree with others, just give it some time and things will sort out with the battle points.

After Capcom fixes the disconnect bullshit, that is.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
A Twisty Fluken said:
This kind of drives home the problem with the BP system, because the matchmaking treats it like a measure of skill, when a lot of the people are pumping up just by raw time investment., so for players who have the skill but not the time they're flailing around in an ocean of hour-pounder garbage players and getting the right matches to decently pump up your BP to match your skill is a total crapshoot.

find people u know either in real life or on forums that are good, be friend them and play them.. BP matches are weak sometimes, and yes, it doesn't represent skill.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah I dont care too much about the ranking (beats playing the CPU though!), Id rather play people I know, so send me them invites :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
A Twisty Fluken said:

I think that only works for so long though.. If you're good you can get up to 2k in a night, but after 3k there are less and less ppl with more BP than you making it harder to get points.... So no matter how much time you put into it, after a certain point, like I said, it becomes a liability to even play anymore ranked matches.

Beyond that, virtually all players over 4k or in that range that have been pretty good at the game. Like if you look at the top 50, there are some well known players in there like Demon Hyo who killed me a couple times so its its not tottaly worthless indicator. but sure there are top players who could care less about ranked matches and just play player matches as well.

haunts said:
I think that only works for so long though.. If you're good you can get up to 2k in a night, but after 3k there are less and less ppl with more BP than you making it harder to get points.... So no matter how much time you put into it, after a certain point, like I said, it becomes a liability to even play anymore ranked matches.

Beyond that, virtually all players over 4k or in that range that have been pretty good at the game. Like if you look at the top 50, there are some well known players in there like Demon Hyo who killed me a couple times so its its not tottaly worthless indicator. but sure there are top players who could care less about ranked matches and just play player matches as well.

Oh, totally, I recognized enough names in the top tier, but I was more talking about the issues starting out and breaking in, even though I pulled up over 1.5k on my first night. When I specify "more skilled" and 90% of the matches I fight result in a <20BP pickup when I win, and a random outlier loss costs over 100 (leaving out the scrubby disconnects), but it quickly becomes a beastly grind if you're not out in front on time commitment. If I was getting reasonable pickups I'd be able to lift out of there in no time.

Phthisis

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah I dont care too much about the ranking (beats playing the CPU though!), Id rather play people I know, so send me them invites :)

If you're interested, I'm about to hop on. My gamertag is Justegarde.

LowParry

I don't know how to explain it. I have these few matches where I can time my charge attacks so nicely in rotation to keep the pressure on. Then these other matches where my timing is so way off. All the game seem to have no lag and yet I have this issue with the timing with some of my matches. So very strange. Anyone else get this?

So do double check:

I beat the game with Akuma

So I need 2 perfects and 4 ultra finishes? and hten I need to ultra finish gouken?

what's the final consensus on this

outsidah

Y2Kev said:
If I like 4 quite a bit, would you recommend going back and getting HD Remix?

Personally bad idea.

Two very different games. If you want to be good or at least somewhat decent at either anyway.

I've been deep into HDR and SFIV requires a whole different tool set to learn.

Chorazin

C- Warrior said:
So do double check:

I beat the game with Akuma

So I need 2 perfects and 4 ultra finishes? and hten I need to ultra finish gouken?

what's the final consensus on this

I beat the game with everyone, including Akuma. Then I beat it again with Balrog, two perfects, three Ultras, and beat Gouken with regular moves, nothing fancy.

Just unlocked Akuma. I don't remember the Raging Demon being this awesome. Can you seriously just begin the attack on a downed opponent and you grab them when they stand up? Is there anyway to defend against that?

outsidah said:
Personally bad idea.

Two very different games. If you want to be good or at least somewhat decent at either anyway.

I've been deep into HDR and SFIV requires a whole different tool set to learn.

Yeah, the force attack implementation is massive. And I'm not talking about FADC or anything complicated. The mere act of using or dashing out of a force charge is loads of mind game dosage -- it really can turn the tide of battle.

Take for instance:

A Sagat user kept doing dragon punch wake-ups/reversals -- I of course waited for him to land and combo/threw him

He eventually learned and stop doing those wake-ups

Then, I'd tease him by charging a force and dashing away right before he gets up with his wake-up / reversal --> I'd throw him upon landing

Then, he'd call my bluff -- so I would then just load up the lvl 3 force attack and hit him when he gets up

It got to the point where the mother fucker had no clue what I would do when he would get up from the ground.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT. So Im trying to take the high rode and learn gouken and I keep getting ranked match challenges...I figure ok Ill just keep using gouken cause this will be a good way to learn him! I KEEP GETTING CHALLENGED BY THESE FUCKING SHOTOSCRUBS WHO EITHER BARELY BEAT ME CAUSE IM ACTUALLY TRYING TO LEARN A CHARACTER I DONT KNOW YET OR THEY DISSCONNECT RIGHT BEFORE I BEAT THEM GOD DAMMIT CAPCOM PATCH THIS FUCKING SHIT RAWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

usea said:
What are some good strategies as abel against ryu/ken etc?

I'm not a good player, but I can execute his moves fine. I don't attempt any complicated combos beyond c.fp into falling sky or wheel kick. Once I get in up close though, I find his normals too slow compared to ryu/ken (the only people I've fought so far). The only time I find myself landing a move is after blocking a predictable wakeup shoryuken.

And I can't punish a jump in for anything. I find myself blocking strings of hp or hk and then unable to retaliate. Any tips?

Many Ken and Ryu players play as if they have ADD. Let them make a mistake by launching a dragon punch too quick or a hurricane kick that you safely block. Then of course perform your command throw for damage.

keanerie

I have a love/hate relationship with BP. I know it's broken and ultimately doesn't mean shit, but I can't stop playing to get more points, and when I inevitably lose those points, end up playing more to get them back.

It's kind of like gambling...

kuYuri

I'm trying to go for 10 ranked wins in a row trophy. I got 7 wins so far... if I turn the game off now and come back later, I can still try to go for the next 3 wins right?

Also, the online input lag is killing me. >_<

MirageDwarf said:
You trying to unlock Gouken?

Finishing the game with Akuma, defeat Gouken with any character and two perfects, no continues, and three Ultra finishes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zRq00e2mZo

There's more to it then that.

I've done this. I've beat the game with Akuma, Ken, Sagat and Ryu. I've done it with 2 perfects. More then two. Three Ultra's, more then thee ultras. I can't get Gouken to unlock.

Is there anything to the idea that you have to beat the game with everyone before he'll unlock?

Arde5643

Guh... playing with Fuerte really forces me to get better with my executions since Fuerte relies on them to set up anything.

Damnit, I can't wait for the pad - doing habanero dash and stop with the trigger is killing my fingers. And I really hate how I sometimes screw up the execution on the analog when things get hairy.
But yeah, I've just been losing a ton on the online play all in the name to improve my executions that at this point I couldn't care less about BP. :lol

And man, Run Stop Fierce combo is really really tough - I couldn't get past the 2nd fierce.

I'm surprised at how itchy fingers and aggressive a lot of noob players are - makes it much easier to punish them as long as I don't screw up the execution. :lol

jacobs34

Fenderputty said:
There's more to it then that.

I've done this. I've beat the game with Akuma, Ken, Sagat and Ryu. I've done it with 2 perfects. More then two. Three Ultra's, more then thee ultras. I can't get Gouken to unlock.

Is there anything to the idea that you have to beat the game with everyone before he'll unlock?

I think you have to have all of the other characters unlocked (except Seth of course) to unlock Gouken, I could be wrong though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The BP thing will even itself out over time. It's the same system used in the arcades isn't it? No big.

GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT. So Im trying to take the high rode and learn gouken and I keep getting ranked match challenges...I figure ok Ill just keep using gouken cause this will be a good way to learn him! I KEEP GETTING CHALLENGED BY THESE FUCKING SHOTOSCRUBS WHO EITHER BARELY BEAT ME CAUSE IM ACTUALLY TRYING TO LEARN A CHARACTER I DONT KNOW YET OR THEY DISSCONNECT RIGHT BEFORE I BEAT THEM GOD DAMMIT CAPCOM PATCH THIS FUCKING SHIT RAWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Welcome to my life when learning El Fuerte. Important thing is to learn the character regardless.

Normal challenge 19 is fucking killing me. Have to beat vega, gouken, then seth with no special moves. I get through vega and gouken, but with not enough health to take seth down. I had that bastard down to one hit and he goes into bastard mode and proceeds to teleport into several piledrivers and dragonpunches and take me out.

Anyone gotta trick for this one?

Xevren

I just wish the filters for ranked would work. I dont play online all that much but its not fun playing these idiots that clearly have no idea what they're doing. Search for higher skills should yield said people =p

kuYuri

Fucking terrific... I ended up playing some more and then I ran into some asshole who lagged the whole game. Sigh, there goes my 8 straight victories. -_-

Arde5643

Wow, Shoryuken.com has been hit by bricks all this week - I think I always get a busy message everytime I try to check something there.

I guess SF4 is really bringing in a lot of new people.

Raging Spaniard

Phthisis said:
If you're interested, I'm about to hop on. My gamertag is Justegarde.

Im only on PSN for now (xavipants), once Capcom sends me my 360 copy (part of winning that contest ... plus a t-shirt -WOO A TSHIRT ALRIGHT) Ill get online with the holy 360n pad, lol

Cleaning the house right now anyways, doing the good husband part for the week thing -_-

Im Jigglyxavi on Live if anybody wants to add me now though

Rotanibor

Wow okay I pysically can't play anymore.:lol The palm of my hand thats basically the lower part of the thumb is starting to feel inflamed. The area itself is looking kind of red. I'm almost glad I have school again tomorrow so then I am unable to play.

Damn if I still can't do Bison's very last challenge though.

keanerie

Got into a match earlier.

Guy chose Seth. Match starts and I'm like oh come on, are you serious? Seth?

We're playing, both at low health eventually I win the round, then the match is over.

Guy set it to one round. And was using Seth. Come on, that is just shameless BP whoring. That's like using an AWP on a pistols map. Come on.

Rotanibor

keanerie said:

We're playing, both at low health eventually I win the round, then the match is over.

Guy set it to one round. And was using Seth. Come on, that is just shameless BP whoring. That's like using an AWP on a pistols map. Come on.

I really think that you shouldn't be able to change the game settings when it comes to ranked mode. It should be a standard setting.

keanerie said:

wow ...pretty poo poo stuff right there

Chorazin

tapedeck said:

Change it to Player when trying to learn someone. Pretty much the same competition, but at least you don't have the extra aggravation of worrying about BP.

MIMIC

Banned
Damn, Abel is a cheap character. That one move of his makes your character have to stand up and block if he is already crouching. Fucking sucks to lose to someone who continues to use that.

And are there any tips at countering the Ken/Ryu overhead kick for Guile? Every time I play a Ken/Ryu, that's the ONLY way they beat me. I never know what to do about that. Flash kicks don't work, since they go right behind them.

Xevren

MIMIC said:
Damn, Abel is a cheap character. That one move of his makes your character have to stand up and block if he is already crouching. Fucking sucks to lose to someone who continues to use that.

And are there any tips at countering the Ken/Ryu overhead kick for Guile? Every time I play a Ken/Ryu, that's the ONLY way they beat me. I never know what to do about that? Flash kicks don't work, since they go right behind them.

Er, I don't understand what your issue with the overhead is. Are they crossing you up then overheading? I haven't had any issues with Abel either and I main Guile in ranked also.

Top Bottom