• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

unreon said:
Can someone help explain charging to me?

1) I know of the basic concept, such as jumping forwards and holding back to charge and unleash a headbutt at the end of the combo string or such. But I don't know how people can go from a straight charge into a jab into a headbutt.

Don't you have to charge for a second or two? How can you charge in the time of that one jab O_O

2) Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've seen people walk backwards a step or two, then forwards a step or two, shifting back and forth and suddenly doing a psycho crusher.

Can you "accumulate" these backwards charges? And how long can you hold these accumulations for?

3) ALSO, what is the advantage of using charge characters; why don't they make them all quater-circles? What gives charge moves advantages over non-charged moves?

I'm so very confused =(

1) you can still charge before/while/after you're doing a jab. you hold back+punch, then push forward+punch.

2) it might look that way if someone is trying to do a super, but gets a regular psycho crusher instead, due to the games leniency in inputs. you can't accumulate charge in this game.

3) typically, charge moves are better. a sonic boom has less lag after it than a hadoken, for example. but in this game a lot of good charge moves got nerfed so it's not really true anymore.

donkey show said:
Yo akachan! gg's last night man. I'm telling you, start hitting up Bison. Also, your Rufus was nice as well. I think you can definitely up the notch on his game.

I usually do well with bison, but I don't really like him :p I have more fun with rufus and blanka.

Dizzy-4U

Ok, I'm back from my short vacation....still no SFIV =( . I hope I'm getting them this week, fedex is supposed to be fast right?

Back on topic, for those who tried Viper, does the fake siesmo build meter?

Ji66a-Man

Stabby McSter said:
level 18 of survival is ridiculous
no special moves? :(
Focus attacks are your friend on Survival Normal Level 18. Try to sweep or throw your opponent. Then get right next to them and charge your FA. By the time they get up, you should be able to hit them with a level 3 FA. When it connects, dash cancel, throw, then charge up another FA and repeat the process.

TagZ

I need help... my thumb sticks rubber is even starting to grind away because of my nerves. Im trying to do the trial challenges everything is gravy until i get to the ultra
(im using gouken) and my problem is that while in trial your power bars are always full so i try do his ultra
v > ppp but because the super is also full im only able to pull off his inferior one v > pp, also i can never pull off the ultras at all that require v > ppp, please help before i start bleeding.

Guled said:
old: http://kotaku.com/5158498/street-fighter-iv-2-million-shipped

SF4 shipped 2 million already, and considering how hard it is to find up here I'm sure its mostly sold out by now. Considering Capcom's forecast was around 1.7 million by the end of March it seems like this did much better then they expected. SF4 Dash confirmed?
It deserves to sell more, SCIV and MKvsDC shipped 2 million as well. Fighting genre is still alive and kicking.

Except Virtua Fighter...

TagZ said:
I need help... my thumb sticks rubber is even starting to grind away because of my nerves. Im trying to do the trial challenges everything is gravy until i get to the ultra
(im using gouken) and my problem is that while in trial your power bars are always full so i try do his ultra
v > ppp but because the super is also full im only able to pull off his inferior one v > pp, also i can never pull off the ultras at all that require v > ppp, please help before i start bleeding.

first off, don't play with the thumbsticks. his super uses one punch button, ultra uses three punch buttons. There's no reason why you should be getting one while trying for the other.

Yesterday I played Street Fighter IV locally with my friends from 1 pm to slightly after midnight this morning.

Game is ace, and it was cool seeing my friends "level up" with some characters throughout the day.

TagZ

I've also tried using the d-pad but the thing is that both his super and ultra have the same start up v >, v >, p - v >, v >, ppp. I can do the super but why cant
i do the ultra, how fast exactly do you need to apply the 3 punches, i've also tried it with the other punches aswell such as RB

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
BradVanDam said:
DCP_2702.jpg

I <3 Sakura.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm having difficulty connecting the crouching LP after an EX Dash Upper with Balrog. I've seen this done in combo vids but I cannot seem to get it to connect in time (Dan always blocks it). Any tips?

I tried posting on SRK but I haven't been able to access the site (server is too busy it seems) so I have no idea if anyone has answered me there...so I figured I'd ask here as well.

Is there a trick to doing it? Is it one of those one-frame inputs?

TagZ said:
I've also tried using the d-pad but the thing is that both his super and ultra have the same start up v >, v >, p - v >, v >, ppp. I can do the super but why cant
i do the ultra, how fast exactly do you need to apply the 3 punches, i've also tried it with the other punches aswell such as RB

you're pressing all three punches at the same time right?

I'm having difficulty connecting the crouching LP after an EX Dash Upper with Balrog. I've seen this done in combo vids but I cannot seem to get it to connect in time (Dan always blocks it). Any tips?

there's no trick, you just gotta get the rythm down. try taking it slow.

Baron Aloha said:

I tried posting on SRK but I haven't been able to access the site (server is too busy it seems) so I have no idea if anyone has answered me there...so I figured I'd ask here as well.

there is a chance that you are pulling off the Dash Low Uppper by mistaker instead of the Dash Upper. They are different, the EX Dash upper is ch.b, f. K+K.... EX Dash low upper is ch.b, df K+K

check again to see if you are press df + K+K instead of f + K+K

TagZ

lol...no please dont tell me i've been waisting my time trying to use 1 punch button...WOW! im and idiot, im gonna go try it now :lol

EDIT: yes im a moron lol, thanks alot Akachan ningen, greatly appreciated

Captain N

donkey show said:
Yo akachan! gg's last night man. I'm telling you, start hitting up Bison. Also, your Rufus was nice as well. I think you can definitely up the notch on his game.

I heard you just beat some guy over and over again last night. Didn't even let him win one round really.

VaLiancY

TheCardPlayer said:
The rubber on my analog on my 360 controller is totally gone. Wow. :lol :lol :lol

Good, what even screws me up more are the small rubber nipples for grip. I had to use my old controller because the new controller I have is tearing my digits up.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Man, Trial mode is just impossible for me. Level 3 and if I get to Level 4 just cannot get completed by my slow ass hands.
Since I've been ignored in the the Online Forum thread, if anyone wants to throw down tonight add me at Koji-chan.
PSN, sorry. I kinda forgot the 360 even has this game. :D

Balb

RevenantKioku said:
Man, Trial mode is just impossible for me. Level 3 and if I get to Level 4 just cannot get completed by my slow ass hands.
Since I've been ignored in the the Online Forum thread, if anyone wants to throw down tonight add me at Koji-chan.

I assume XBL? If so I'm in.

peetfeet

I'm trying to play a few games online (just got it today) but when i search the network signal is mostly blank with all players, i get a few with 1 or 2 bars and occasionally 3. Is this the same for everyone? do i have to set a region or something? I've only managed to play one match so far and that was laggy on 3 bars. I have an 8meg connection and its wired.

ShinAmano

After all the bitching about Seth I was curious to how hard he would be on the hardest setting. I took him down with everyones favorite Shoto on the first try. On the harder levels he plays exactly like he does on the lower levels.

By the way what is everyones BP level. I saw Haunts had about 4400 and was ranked about 44th on the list. I have around 1700...just wondering where everyone stands.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Router said:
Seconded. I cant do it at all.

My friend is also having insane trouble with this, I watched him try for half an hour on Sunday. Crazy.

Also the lack of "Quarter Up" lobbies is really hurting this game, it's sad to see so many friends playing online and only being able to challenge one of them at a time :(

peetfeet said:
I'm trying to play a few games online (just got it today) but when i search the network signal is mostly blank with all players, i get a few with 1 or 2 bars and occasionally 3. Is this the same for everyone? do i have to set a region or something? I've only managed to play one match so far and that was laggy on 3 bars. I have an 8meg connection and its wired.
The game is very stringent on grading connection. Zero or 1 bar can actually be quite playable.

Barrett2

gkrykewy said:
Is there any good reason for there not to be an automatic loss for disconnecting during a match?

Not that I know of. I suppose sometimes people have glitchy online setups that boot them temporarily, it happens to me occasionally, but thats a risk you take. Without stiff penalties, people will abuse the system and ruin other people's experience.

Can someone explain to me what a "quarter up" mode is? My scrubby noobness is unfamiliar.

ShinAmano

McBradders said:
Also the lack of "Quarter Up" lobbies is really hurting this game, it's sad to see so many friends playing online and only being able to challenge one of them at a time :(
It is terrible, and SFIVs biggest flaw...I can't believe this was left out.

lawblob said:
Can someone explain to me what a "quarter up" mode is? My scrubby noobness is unfamiliar.

Basically in the HD Remix you could have up to 6 people in a lobby that could watch as the fights went on...and basically waited in line to fight the champ...like having a 'quarter up' on the arcade machine to get next. It was incredible...and it hurts that SFIV neglected this brilliant feature.

ShinAmano said:
Basically in the HD Remix you could have up to 6 people in a lobby that could watch as the fights went on...and basically waited in line to fight the champ...like having a 'quarter up' on the arcade machine to get next. It was incredible...and it hurts that SFIV neglected this brilliant feature.
In SFIV's defense, it didn't have as much development time as STHD did.

_Xenon_

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Chun Li's trial mode.

HEAVY CROUCH PUNCH -> MEDIUM SPINNING BIRD KICK

HOW DO I DO THIS?! IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS.
Do not wait for the 2nd punch. Press the kick button just after striking out the 1st punch.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
U K Narayan said:
Yeah... WHAT? Doesn't the SBK take, like, TWO SECONDS to charge before you can unleash it?

you're doing a crouch punch, so you were already charging it...

Canti

U K Narayan said:
Yeah... WHAT? Doesn't the SBK take, like, TWO SECONDS to charge before you can unleash it?
Crouch for a second or two before you do the heavy punch, charge will be stored. As someone else said, gotta input the SBK really quickly after that first hit. Can't remember the trial you mention, but there's one with focus > crouch HP > SBK, start the charge during the focus attack if its that.

Barrett2

ShinAmano said:

Gotcha. They also had this in DOA4, IIRC. Yeah, they definitely need this. I remember being so paranoid of losing DOA4 matches because you knew it would send you to the back of the line.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
U K Narayan said:

You can charge pretty much at any time, mang.

Even before the fight starts.

f3niks

Router said:
It's not Street Fighter unless you have a cheap boss. :lol

While trying out Rufus for the first time yesterday I had maybe an hour long encounter with Seth. He really is one of the cheapest bosses in a fighting game that I've played against in a long time...maybe since Bison on Hard back on the Super Nintendo.

Barrett2

f3niks said:
While trying out Rufus for the first time yesterday I had maybe an hour long encounter with Seth. He really is one of the cheapest bosses in a fighting game that I've played against in a long time...maybe since Bison on Hard back on the Super Nintendo.

Seth just wants you to show him your power... ALL OF IT!

He sucks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
f3niks said:

Rufus' tornado kick to weak kick seems to befuddle Seth.

ShinAmano

f3niks said:
He really is a joke...keep your distance...jump in when he either does Dhalsim arms or a sonic boom...follow up with a sweep...rinse repeat and he is done. His patterns are really predictable just pay attention.

lawblob said:
Seth just wants you to show him your power... ALL OF IT!

He sucks.

After playing the game for about 2 weeks I can pretty much beat seth on hardest on command w/o losing a round now. He's no where as hard as bison was in SF2 on snes.

ShinAmano said:
After all the bitching about Seth I was curious to how hard he would be on the hardest setting. I took him down with everyones favorite Shoto on the first try. On the harder levels he plays exactly like he does on the lower levels.

By the way what is everyones BP level. I saw Haunts had about 4400 and was ranked about 44th on the list. I have around 1700...just wondering where everyone stands.

does haunts have the ps3 version? i just broke 2k and really want to play people a lot better than me. i can't get better if all i do is play people i can whoop pretty handily.

And they really need to fix the dq penalty issue. In the last 3 days I've had too many people just quit right when i'm about to win the match and i get no bp. it sucks.

Top Bottom