• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

ChrisGoldstein said:
We should play dude I'm not doing to hot either, xbl right?

I just need to find a good sparring partner because playing just arcade or training doesnt do much for my online game

add "shinwa it" if you want, i'm not that good either : D

wRATH2x

Banned
Zeliard said:
I read in the recent Game Informer that Dhalsim has a grudge against Balrog because Balrog once punched an elephant to death, and that elephant was the friend of one of Dhalsim's elephants.

Street Fighter lore is awesome.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

For reals!? :lol :lol :lol

AndresON777

shooting blanks
hidepsyence said:
add "shinwa it" if you want, i'm not that good either : D

Sent you the FR.

I played with one of my other gaf friends that I play fifa with and we had a blast.

A couple of scrubs duking it out can be intense too

=)

MrOctober

Banned
Ok forgive my ignorance but I unlocked Akuma and then just fought Gouken and bat him but he didn't unlock. Do I have to Ultra Combo finish him to get him to unlock or something?

Ledsen

Zeliard said:
I read in the recent Game Informer that Dhalsim has a grudge against Balrog because Balrog once punched an elephant to death, and that elephant was the friend of one of Dhalsim's elephants.

Street Fighter lore is awesome.

Actually the elephant who lost his friend is one of the elephants in Dhalsim's stage in SF2, and it's Dhalsim's pet elephant. Poor elephant :'(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm thinking of switching to or making Chun my new main with Cammy. I am finally "getting" her now.

Having a difficult time taking on good Zangief, Guile, and surprisingly Honda players with Cammy. Anyone got any advice?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
MrOctober said:
Ok forgive my ignorance but I unlocked Akuma and then just fought Gouken and bat him but he didn't unlock. Do I have to Ultra Combo finish him to get him to unlock or something?

You have to beat the game with Akuma first (which you just did) so now just beat the game again while doing the fight requirements

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
When the inevitable update comes out they need to add:

Alex
Guy
Ibuki
Someone from SF1 (maybe Eagle)
4 new characters (the game definitely needs more new blood)

MrOctober

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
You have to beat the game with Akuma first (which you just did) so now just beat the game again while doing the fight requirements

Wait I have to go through the whole game using Akuma before I can unlock Gouken? Do I have to use Akuma to fight Gouken or just beat the game with him and then go back and beat it again and beat Gouken with anyone? This is confusing as shit and I'm sure it's been asked 5 million times by now sorry and thank you guys for your patience.

To be clear what I did was beat the game getting 2 perfects and then i fought Akuma. I beat him using an Ultra combo and he unlocked. I then went through the game again with Ken and got 2 perfects and 4 Ultra Combo victories and I fought Gouken but I just beat him regularly and he didn't unlock.

Linkhero1

MrOctober said:
Wait I have to go through the whole game using Akuma before I can unlock Gouken? Do I have to use Akuma to fight Gouken or just beat the game with him and then go back and beat it again and beat Gouken with anyone? This is confusing as shit and I'm sure it's been asked 5 million times by now sorry and thank you guys for your patience.
Beat it with Akuma once. Then beat it with Akuma again but with the requirements.

Caj814

I had a good amount of success with Chun Li so far since I've always consistently had her as my main throughout different games.One problem I'm having though is Blanka match ups.Can she punish any blocked rolls properly and I experimented with trying to Ultra him after a blocked roll but found out he recovers way too quickly and got electrocuted for it :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lyte Edge said:
I'm thinking of switching to or making Chun my new main with Cammy. I am finally "getting" her now.

Having a difficult time taking on good Zangief, Guile, and surprisingly Honda players with Cammy. Anyone got any advice?

Less random cannon spikes? >_>

Lyte Edge

Linkhero1 said:
Beat it with Akuma once. Then beat it with Akuma again but with the requirements.

You don't have to beat with Akuma twice. Just once through with Akuma, and get his ending.

Then start a new game, pick ANYBODY, and get at least two perfects and two ultra-finishes to fight against and then unlock Gouken. You can do this on the easiest difficulty setting and with one round, and if you just pick someone like Ryu and do nothing but fireballs, you should easily get perfects in the first two matches.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
prodystopian said:

Wrong, has to be with a character you have already beaten the game with. Akuma is a good choice since you obviously have to beat the game with him to even get to that stage.

Other characters that will work: Ryu, Sakura, Viper, Abel, Bison

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Caj814 said:
I had a good amount of success with Chun Li so far since I've always consistently had her as my main throughout different games.One problem I'm having though is Blanka match ups.Can she punish any blocked rolls properly and I experimented with trying to Ultra him after a blocked roll but found out he recovers way too quickly and got electrocuted for it :lol

No more viper? :(

Lyte Edge said:
You don't have to beat with Akuma twice. Just once through with Akuma, and get his ending.

Then start a new game, pick ANYBODY, and get at least two perfects and two ultra-finishes to fight against and then unlock Gouken. You can do this on the easiest difficulty setting and with one round, and if you just pick someone like Ryu and do nothing but fireballs, you should easily get perfects in the first two matches.

Hey your name is familiar. Do you remember pummeling a guile named bravosuperstar with cammy over the weekend? That was me. :D

Would you mind if I sent you a FR?

Caj814

haunts said:
No more viper? :(

I gotta work on execution with her in training mode from all the missed opportunities I had in those last fights.I really gotta get use to getting the most out of her hammer mix ups and cancels too.So she's pretty much a work in progress right now =(

Lyte Edge

Caj814 said:

Yeah, I was playing an excellent Blanka player with Chun and was having some trouble. I got close to beating him the second match, but he got me 2-0. Then I switched back to Cammy and beat him down 3-2 at the end.

Fun matches; I always enjoy playing win or lose. Getting my ass kicked by good players is educational! The only thing that is getting beyond boring is fighting endless AWFUL RyuKenKuma players. ZZZZZzzzz

MrOctober

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Wrong, has to be with a character you have already beaten the game with. Akuma is a good choice since you obviously have to beat the game with him to even get to that stage.

Other characters that will work: Ryu, Sakura, Viper, Abel, Bison

You dont have to beat the game with Akuma to get to Gouken as I didnt unlock Akuma or even see him and i fought Gouken first. You just can't unlock Gouken without unlocking Akuma first. You can definitely fight him though.

Lyte Edge

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Hey your name is familiar. Do you remember pummeling a guile named bravosuperstar with cammy over the weekend? That was me. :D

Would you mind if I sent you a FR?

I don't remember but that was probably me! Send me a FR, please...always looking to play! :D

Raging Spaniard

MrOctober said:
You dont have to beat the game with Akuma to get to Gouken as I didnt unlock Akuma or even see him and i fought Gouken first. You just can't unlock Gouken without unlocking Akuma first. You can definitely fight him though.

Yeah I know that, thats not what I said :p

To unlock Gouken you need to beat the game with Akuma first, otherwise youll fight him all you want, but you will never unlock him till you do beat the game with Akuma

MrOctober

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah I know that, thats not what I said :p

To unlock Gouken you need to beat the game with Akuma first, otherwise youll fight him all you want, but you will never unlock him till you do beat the game with Akuma

Shit i misread.

Well, it happened... I snapped a dualshock in half with rage
: (
RANT

The AI or difficulty setting is fucked somehow. I'm sick of random opponents fighting like super champs for no reason.
I was using Abel, and I got to Seth without any continues. It took me 2 hours to beat him (not even joking) because everytime I win the first round he goes super Seiyan and teleport punches me in the back before I even stand up. I'm getting throw while in the middle of EX moves, it's stupid as hell. BUT that's not why I killed the controller.
AFTER I had devised a reasonable plan to bet Seth a bit easier (and cheap as hell) I tried to go back through game (still on medium) with Abel again. Some where in the middle I had to fight E. Honda just as I did the previous attempt. I played for another 2 hours just trying to beat Honda and I never won a single fucking round!!!!! I can't stand it, why the fuck does this happen. It was a joke; he perfectly blocked or countered EVERYTHNG I did. Seriously, I can get to Seth without continuing but suddenly Honda is a perfect fighting machine.

I think from now on, I'm getting to Seth using Sagat and losing on purpose to pick the character I want to beat it with. I'll admit I suck at Street fighter but this is too fucking much.
/rant

Now I need a new stick for Killzone. Honestly, it's pathetic to do that but I had fucking had enough. Shattered it!

-PXG-

The PS3 version is harder. I get Perfects on Easiest on the 360, but have trouble on the PS3. Also, for some reason, Seth performs his Ultra in the PS3, but I have yet to see it in the 360. Odd....

BobTheFork said:
RANT

The AI or difficulty setting is fucked somehow. I'm sick of random opponents fighting like super champs for no reason.
I was using Abel, and I got to Seth without any continues. It took me 2 hours to beat him (not even joking) because everytime I win the first round he goes super Seiyan and teleport punches me in the back before I even stand up. I'm getting throw while in the middle of EX moves, it's stupid as hell. BUT that's not why I killed the controller.
AFTER I had devised a reasonable plan to bet Seth a bit easier (and cheap as hell) I tried to go back through game (still on medium) with Abel again. Some where in the middle I had to fight E. Honda just as I did the previous attempt. I played for another 2 hours just trying to beat Honda and I never won a single fucking round!!!!! I can't stand it, why the fuck does this happen. It was a joke; he perfectly blocked or countered EVERYTHNG I did. Seriously, I can get to Seth without continuing but suddenly Honda is a perfect fighting machine.

I think from now on, I'm getting to Seth using Sagat and losing on purpose to pick the character I want to beat it with. I'll admit I suck at Street fighter but this is too fucking much.
/rant

Now I need a new stick for Killzone. Honestly, it's pathetic to do that but I had fucking had enough. Shattered it!

PICS! NOW!!

Please... :D

-PXG- said:
The PS3 version is harder. I get Perfects on Easiest on the 360, but have trouble on the PS3. Also, for some reason, Seth performs his Ultra in the PS3, but I have yet to see it in the 360. Odd....

Obviously, this is a slight against 360 players.

djkimothy

-PXG- said:

Capcom hates PS3 owners. :(

I finally beat Seth on medium, i had to be cheap with akuma though. :( I don't know how the hell I'm going to get the Storied fighter trophy...

RANT

/rant

I know exactly what you mean. THe matchmaking and difficulty of arcade mode is absolutely broken. I admit, I'm a noob and learning as I go along, but FFS, it shouldn't be this hard. This is a game that's not really casual friendly. And I'm on a fucking arcade stick. I'd go bonkers tryting to play this with a regular dual shock.

Balb

-PXG- said:

I own the 360 version and have seen Seth's ultra several times.

-PXG-

djkimothy said:
Capcom hates PS3 owners. :(

I finally beat Seth on medium, i had to be cheap with akuma though. :( I don't know how the hell I'm going to get the Storied fighter trophy...

I know exactly what you mean. THe matchmaking and difficulty of arcade mode is absolutely broken. I admit, I'm a noob and learning as I go along, but FFS, it shouldn't be this hard. This is a game that's not really casual friendly. And I'm on a fucking arcade stick. I'd go bonkers tryting to play this with a regular dual shock.

Or Capcom assumes PS3 owners have more skill ;)

BigAT

So maybe someone can explain this to me. I was in Training trying to get the combo down for executing Sagat's ultra properly and in doing so I found that there were several times that I would execute his super as opposed to his ultra.

I was inputting the combo ONLY using the all kicks button (LT on the standard 360 controller) though, and since the inputs for the two moves are exactly the same with the exception of hitting one kick button instead of all three, there should be absolutely no way for me to execute his super if I'm exclusively using the all kicks button (which I was). This happened multiple times although I'm not sure what caused the difference between the super and ultra, any ideas?

BigAT said:
So maybe someone can explain this to me. I was in Training trying to get the combo down for executing Sagat's ultra properly and in doing so I found that there were several times that I would execute his super as opposed to his ultra.

I was inputting the combo ONLY using the all kicks button (LT on the standard 360 controller) though, and since the inputs for the two moves are exactly the same with the exception of hitting one kick button instead of all three, there should be absolutely no way for me to execute his super if I'm exclusively using the all kicks button (which I was). This happened multiple times although I'm not sure what caused the difference between the super and ultra, any ideas?

If you have a charged super guage and not a charge ultra guage, hitting all three buttons will register a regular super.

Zeliard

_tetsuo_ said:
Wow, I am extremly terrible with Balrog. I can do nothing against turtle players. Nothing.

Try turtling yourself and wait them out. Turtle with Balrog by holding on down+back - there are a lot of bonuses to it. Not only are you blocking low, but you also have both a back and a down charge ready, so you can either dash punch or buffalo headbutt depending on what the circumstances call for. You should get used to charging this way a lot of the time, it's incredibly useful.

The beauty about Balrog's game is that he can play both very defensively and wait for the other guy to make mistakes, or he can do the complete opposite and be hyper-aggressive - get the guy in the corner and just don't let up. He has several tools to do both with.

Try not to use your Super all that often - Balrog's EX moves are very valuable, particularly his EX dashes which have super armor on them (meaning they can absorb one hit and keep going, such as from a fireball).

Also try to work in the TAP (turn-around punch). Hold KKK or PPP. It goes through fireballs and has range that crosses nearly the entire screen. Very useful for getting close to an opponent who likes to zone/turtle, or for crushing his face with your fist after he whiffs. The great thing about the move is that since there's no real start-up to it, you can often catch opponents by surprise.

NeoUltima

MoxManiac said:
If you die at seth and continue, the ai glitches up and puts seth on the hardest difficulty for some reason.
I am suspicious of this as well....I was beating the game on easiest /w everyone for unlocks but I died on Seth with Blanka and when I continued he would kick my ass, even though I was doing the exact same thing I was doing /w other chars(jump kick/sweep). I eventually gave up and tried again a few hours later and beat him no problem on the 1st try, in fact I almost got a perfect.

I'm not so sure it put it on the hardest difficulty though. Maybe medium or hard.

Bootaaay said:
Hey there, can any Fei Long players give me some tips? Specifically with beating Ken & Zangief players online? I tend to use a Rekkukyaku > hp > Shienkyaku followed by a c.mk on wakeup to set up the super combo and that works pretty well against most players, but against Zangief & good Ken players I seem to have a very low rate of success, either getting caught by a Shoryuken or Gief's piledriver whenever I attempt to get close - any other super combo/ultra set up's I could use against these players? Or just some Fei Long tips in general that would help me improve my game?

Anyone? I'm getting better against Ken's, but every time I come up against a Zangief player I just get my ass kicked - i've been on the cusp of 1000bp 3 times this evening, only for a Zangief player to knock me back down :(

Caj814

BigAT said:

If this has been happening consistently I say we have a glitch in the game ;/
It happened to me a lot too during training mode when I was practicing Boxers "headbutt of death" combo into Ultra.Also I ALWAYS keep Ultra and Super bar on infinite when I got into training.

Top Bottom