• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Man I really want to get a stick now. The game pad is much better than the 360 controller but I dont like having to use the bumpers when I want to do an ultra

alterno69

Banned
I just played the game for the first time on the 360 and i have to admit that initially i was a little dissapointed, the graphics for starters are not very good, the characters skin looks really bad around the arm pits and some faces look just wrong. It grew on my tho and i really like it, i played with a friend and the game was his but i'm getting mine for the Ps3 as soon as i get off work, the 360 pad was a pain in the ass.

SSnake

Got my first quitter today, guy quit before the second round even started.

Something weird is going on, here is who I have faced so far

Zangief, Sagat, Zangief, Honda

Threi

notag
SSnake said:
Got my first quitter today, guy quit before the second round even started.

Something weird is going on, here is who I have faced so far

Zangief, Sagat, Zangief, Honda
the scrubs, they are learning

seriously though fuck gief. why cant my grabs as abel have more priority than his? WTF man.

*grumbles*

punkypine

Guled said:
I want to know how to turn up the announcer's voice, I can hardly hear him
i love the random crap announcers say in fighting games
soul caliber: 2 souls meet in a battle of eternal strength and love... a giant dude with a hammer vs a guy dressed like elvis using nunchuks

street fighter: THAT WAS THE GREATEST MOVE I HAVE EVER SEEN, WHAT A FINISH.... 10 minutes later, i guess he sees an even greater move :lol

sca2511 said:
anyone know how to turn off the announcer without turning off the characters' voices?

There's an announcer?

I hear the announcer at the "Vs." screen, and that's it. I've just looked on some youtube vids, and there's definitely some commentary going on during the matches, but it's the only time I've heard it.

I'm on 360 BTW, using HDMI->Optical passthrough on TV to my HT system.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I also played someone from GAF today who was an ace with Dhalsim.. Mastered his teleport and dashing in and throwing. He was really good.

Had to pull out my Vega to consistently beat him :p Though I did win with Feurte once.
Yup, that's me. That was the first time I played against a Fuerte so I didn't know what to do at first. You should use him more next time though: only way I'll learn how to deal with him.

haunts said:
MicVlad! Good games dude, you're def one of the better ppl ive played from GAF. Your Sim is super crazy, never played a sim like that before. :lol
Thanks for the compliments, I wouldn't call my Dhalsim "super crazy" considering you had a vast lead of 21 - 3. :p And ironically, there are moments where I don't pose much of a challenge when facing stale or downright terrible players, while I perform noticeably better against those who actually know what they're doing. It's that easy to beat me sometimes.

Sectus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZN9CESl-BY&fmt=22 - Plz give me tips how to become better player.
I'm not a pro by any means, but anyway: you didn't really capitalize on your successful Focus Attacks. If you do land one that stuns your opponent, forward dash immediately after it connects and do something more damaging, like a Shoryuken or an EX attack. See what works and doesn't in the Training Mode. I also haven't seen you use dash much either, which is naturally a faster way to approach your opponent (if you want to put a little pressure on him that is) rather than simply walking towards him... Might also want to work on your grabs: I've rarely seen you attempt a grab.

Spiderjericho said:
MicVlad, sorry I declined your invite. I was playing the survival mode trying to get all of the gold medals. I started playing Survival Hard...
I figured you might've declined it, so no problem. There's always next time.

haunts said:
Sometimes it is good to switch it up when they least expect it though. Sometimes I'll throw the 2nd round intentionally by playing too turtlely and 3rd round just unleash all hell on them. I feel if they havent even seen my offense till the 3rd round they will have less of a chance to counter it, while at the same time ive already seen everything they have to offer and know exactly what they are capable.. Of course good, top players, will only dish out a little at a time ina similar manner and only use whats necessary to kill you.
That kind of tactic is so satisfying when it works, even with Dhalsim. Earlier today I was playing a good Honda, we kept some distance between most of the time (though the match was still action packed), and by the time the third and final round hit, I just went all-out close quarters. He didn't expect it at all, I threw him multiple times as well, even managed to dizzy him eventually, which was an opportunity I took advantage of by hitting him with a Focus Attack + Super combo. After that, he only had a sliver of health left and had no chance of winning after whiffing his Ultra (which I tele-dodged)... sogood.gif

drohne said:
as much as i like this game, i'm playing it much less than i did hd remix just because the process of finding online games is so slow :/
Try hosting for yourself?

BTW: I think you've written here once that you were discouraged to stick with Guile for some reason. Yours was one of the better ones I encountered, so don't be.

akachan ningen said:
well maybe abel's dash only goes through fireballs and not ground attacks then. Or maybe it was just because of the fucked up things that can happen during online play. I've seen some pretty weird stuff.
You're right, Abel's dash during the Ultra doesn't go through ground attacks. It's almost too easy to counter that as Dhalsim for example, in the event that it doesn't get linked with another move. All you need to do is slide after the animation started.

Kaibutsu said:
lol, i keep getting beat playing on live. It's because I refuse to play as Ken/Ryu even though I know I can win playing them. I pretty much only play as Rose and Dhalsim since I want to get good using them. It makes me feel bad though knowing I'm losing to people that really aren't that good :lol
I know how you feel. I also main Dhalsim and at the beginning, I kept getting beaten by these predictable Kens or Ryu's, as well as shoto's that throw their dragon punches out seemingly at random. It took me a while, but I've adapted to those types of players by now, so just keep practicing and you'll eventually get there yourself.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I need to stop using Vega.. I keep getting schooled by random crap that will erase like 4 of my previous wins ..
No you shouldn't!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jesus, online is brokenish. I can't find a ranked match. You search and by the time you get one it's full. This game needs matchmaking and lobbies. I can't believe it's not even here.

am i the only one who is still waiting to get mine? Amazon has seriously screwed me over...I paid for 2 day shipping and yet week later still no game....I should have just bought it in a store...That anime better fucking be good..(I no it isn't which makes it worst)..

Knux-Future said:
am i the only one who is still waiting to get mine? Amazon has seriously screwed me over...I paid for 2 day shipping and yet week later still no game....I should have just bought it in a store...That anime better fucking be good..(I no it isn't which makes it worst)..

wow ...sorry to hear that man =/

Sandman42

Y2Kev said:
Jesus, online is brokenish. I can't find a ranked match. You search and by the time you get one it's full. This game needs matchmaking and lobbies. I can't believe it's not even here.
easiest way to get into a ranked match quickly? Create a lobby. They fill up instantly during peak hours.

ravien56

hey maybe u guys help me, I play as bison, and against shotos and other regulars, ie. cammy, c.viper, i usually ghave no problem. The problem starts when fighting against other chargers especially balrog. any tips for fighting them? the match usually results in both of us at the end of the screen just waiting.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sandman42 said:
easiest way to get into a ranked match quickly? Create a lobby. They fill up instantly during peak hours.
yah, good idea. I just got a random Korean fighter and I whooped him for my first ranked victory :D

Xabora

Y2Kev said:
Do a custom search for any under ranked and you'll get more matches that way.
Increased my success ten-fold.

Xabora said:
Do a custom search for any under ranked and you'll get more matches that way.
Increased my success ten-fold.

I just put fight request on and play arcade. I get tons of fights within minutes!

Caj814

mh56 said:
hey maybe u guys help me, I play as bison, and against shotos and other regulars, ie. cammy, c.viper, i usually ghave no problem. The problem starts when fighting against other chargers especially balrog. any tips for fighting them? the match usually results in both of us at the end of the screen just waiting.

Baiting them to come in is one of Bisons traits.Use well timed Devils Reversals(charge down,up + Punch) to see if they'll come in or not.Also try using a safe distance teleport plus focus attack+back dash to bait them to attack and remember to take advantage of his fast recovery on his scissor kicks along with mixing it up with his pokes.

MoxManiac

Threi said:
the scrubs, they are learning

seriously though fuck gief. why cant my grabs as abel have more priority than his? WTF man.

*grumbles*

Jab tornado throw will beat ALL of gief's command throws thanks to it's throw invulnerablity. I've done it to tons of giefs waking up that don't know this.

Going to play for a bit. If anyone wants to face a Dhalsim (preferably someone using the lesser popular characters) -> send me an invite through the GAF SSFIITHDR Friends of Friends list if you happen to be on it. My own Friends list is full (bar one spot), so don't bother with plain ol' Friend Requests...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ok, new hotness.

Any time you are gonna play a Ken (and you think hes shitty) go ahead and do what I do, teach that fucker the powers of SAIKYO!

Street_Fighter_Alpha_Dan.gif

Just stick to shoto basics and youll win, plus itll teach the guy a lesson :D

Barrett2

Well, CartridgeBlower's Balrog just whooped my ass! Good games.

I also played a random Zangief an hour ago, son of a bitch!! LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Threi said:
Lesson in life my friends: never get overconfident in SF :lol

Heheh.

I had a dude today who let me win the first round. He just stood there motionless while I wailed on him. I waited around for like 20 seconds first just to make sure he didn't have to take an emergency shit or something as soon as the fight started, but he started jabbing randomly so I knew he was there.

Second round, he actually tries. And gets beat pretty swiftly. His 1k or so BP knocked down a bit.

Victories over people who think they're the total shit are sweeter than all others ^^;

-PXG-

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rufus' victory speech against Gouken is hilarious.

Also...ahem...

ZANGIEF. IS. FUCKING. RETARDED.

Capcom needs to fix that shit.

Ferrio

Banned
-PXG- said:

Also...ahem...

Just faced my first scrub Zangief. Ya sure Lariat away dude, the shamwow doesn't care.

Dammit who wants to play on PSN, i hate searching ranked matches.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
lawblob said:

I also played a random Zangief an hour ago, son of a bitch!! LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT LARIAT

Dude! I played that guy too (PSN, right?). Had to be the same guy. It's all he did.

Xabora

Raging Spaniard said:
Ok, new hotness.

Any time you are gonna play a Ken (and you think hes shitty) go ahead and do what I do, teach that fucker the powers of SAIKYO!

Street_Fighter_Alpha_Dan.gif

Just stick to shoto basics and youll win, plus itll teach the guy a lesson :D
2n0vekz.jpg

Stern Faced Dan does not approve of that Imitator

Caj814

lawblob said:

Low poke,low poke,low poke,sweep,sweep,sweep say hello :D

Last night I fought a similar player who picked blanka and did NOTHING BUT ELECTOCUTE.He didn't even do a roll :lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
OMG I just spent an hour trying to do Balrog's 4th Hard Challenge Mode combo. Its so hard to do with a controller. Every time I managed to get to the Buffalo Headbutt I froze because I couldn't believe I got that far and I kept forgetting the Ultra. I never did pull it off.

I watched a video of the last combo on Youtube and that one is even more ridiculous.

My TE Stick can't get here soon enough! Amazon needs to get a move on with that thing.

Crazyorloco

I love this game...I even like Dan. I can't believe i've logged in 19 hours and I only had the game 3 days.

I'm an Akuma/Sakura/Bison player and I've been losing a lot but it's all very close matches. During the heat of battle I just gotta think more defensively.

Having an actually person jump in Arcade mode to battle you is a great idea. Nice job Capcom. The only thing I find disappointing is that there's no spectator mode like in Soul Calibur 4. (...yet)

P.S. My left thumb hasn't felt so sore and tough since SNES/Genesis days.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ferrio said:
Just faced my first scrub Zangief. Ya sure Lariat away dude, the shamwow doesn't care.

Dammit who wants to play on PSN, i hate searching ranked matches.

am i the only one who just hang out on Arcade with my line open

I get in to match after match like that(Ranked too), there's always a "new Warrior entering my ring":D

Yeah, Dhalsim is officially my main. I just enjoy him to much. Question for anyone who mains him-

What Anti air do you use for Shotos who throw heavy kick (roundhouse) as they jump in? I've tried back/HK and back/MP, but with little success. I think I just need to master the timing though.

Threi said:
Abel has surprisingly good range on his normals, save for his elbow (which i still need to learn to link with his ultra/air grab when it lands).
Scrub* Tip™: if you use L or M Falling Sky, you don't even need to cancel the elbow; you can just buffer the DP motion and then hit the punch button once Abel has recovered with a fair bit of leeway. You lose a little damage, but I find that much easier to pull off consistently than getting the cancel off the second elbow hit, which IS needed, as far as I can tell, to make the HP Falling Sky connect due to its longer start-up.

And just speaking of Abel generally, Change of Direction 1st hit -> FADC -> Elbow (and followup of your choice) is easier than I would've expected. Easier than landing some of his link combos from by far, IMO.

* Coming from one, that is.

ultim8p00

Banned
Well I guess now I have to characters I hate. El Fuerte and Zangief. It's funny how when you play with non-gamers, they find a way to completely kick your ass using one move over and over and over and over and over

LuCkymoON

Banned
-PXG- said:

Also...ahem...

Zangief has some mad priority on his command throws.

-PXG-

Cynar said:
:lol @ all the zangief hate, he's fine

Yeah, if you're the one using him.

He does damage before he even swings his fucking arms. Damage occurs, LITERALLY, in the first few fucking frames. His grabs have mad priority, all of his attacks do insane damage, and it takes a ton of hits to take him down. Bullshit.

djkimothy

Baron Aloha said:
OMG I just spent an hour trying to do Balrog's 4th Hard Challenge Mode combo. Its so hard to do with a controller. Every time I managed to get to the Buffalo Headbutt I froze because I couldn't believe I got that far and I kept forgetting the Ultra. I never did pull it off.

I watched a video of the last combo on Youtube and that one is even more ridiculous.

My TE Stick can't get here soon enough! Amazon needs to get a move on with that thing.

Damn it, I'm on Chun-Li's 5th challenge, her 3rd combo is the same. It ends with a super combo right after her fire ball. How the hell do you charge back when you just finished a charge for her fireball. :/

Top Bottom