• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LiK

did anyone experience some major frustration with the AI on Easiest when playing with El Fuerte specifically? the AI was easy with all the other characters (as expected) but whenever i switched to El Fuerte, it looked like the difficulty ramped up like crazy. the AI countered everything, constantly used focus attacks and used throws everytime i blocked. i felt like i was playing on Hard or something, lol.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My friend sent me a link to Sirlin's new blog post about "Some Positive Things with Street Fighter 4". Which then turn into a ton of negative things real quick. Meh.

Dreweyes

The better I get at this game online, the angrier I get when I lose.

Is anyone else having this issue? :lol :lol

BTW add me: Dreweyes

xero273 said:
I am reading up on Akuma and came across some thing called karas demon. I followed their instruction and tried to do that move (forward + MP, LP, LP, LK+Back or forward+HP). When I do it, all it does is have akuma punch and then he goes into demon. What is this move suppose to look like? Thanks.

I haven't played around too much with Akuma, but in general, kara throws slightly extend the range of the throw. You basically cancel a move very quickly into the throw so that it gets slightly bigger range. The forward+MP makes Akuma move forward slightly, but then you quickly cancel that into the super/ultra, thereby initiating the grab of the move at a range that's a step or two bigger than normal. Kara throws are more of a high-level and very situational technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-YSWw5GsE This video shows kara throws for 3rd Strike, but the concept is the same. Notice how the characters move forward slightly when the throw is kara-canceled. At the end they even do a kara demon with Akuma. The technique isn't quite as prevalent in SFIV though.

Kintaro said:
My friend sent me a link to Sirlin's new blog post about "Some Positive Things with Street Fighter 4". Which then turn into a ton of negative things real quick. Meh.
I never liked him honestly. he needs to get off his high horse.

commish said:
There are a ton of things like this that I just don't know. I wish there was a mega list somewhere containing this type of info.

that's why sf is so awesome. a regular punch can stop a 400 pound sumo wrestler flying at you head first lol

unreon

Thanks for all the feedback on my questions on the charge moves =) Much appreciated.

Can someone link me to the direction of those tutorial vids demonstrating all the trials for each character? I've lost them somewhere =(

atomico

F#A#Oo said:
Where do I get the DLC for the PS3? :?

The "Brawler Pack" is up @ PSN (US) since last thursday. $4, IIRC
edit: alt costumes for el fuerte, zangief, abel and rufus

no idea about the girl pack

Darkman M said:
I had no idea MicVlaD was a gaffer :lol Dude definitely has a beastly sim!
But I'm on the list!

Biff Hardbody said:
Yeah, Dhalsim is officially my main. I just enjoy him to much. Question for anyone who mains him-

What Anti air do you use for Shotos who throw heavy kick (roundhouse) as they jump in? I've tried back/HK and back/MP, but with little success. I think I just need to master the timing though.
Back/HK and Back/MP should be sufficient, but as haunts already said, you need to use them in a timely fashion. Also: these aren't offensive counters, but you can often easily teleport out of there if you're afraid of leaving yourself open with those two moves. Furthermore: you can simply slide out or even dash out of that cross-up if you're already back up on your feet shortly right after they jumped, and a charged Focus Attack is also a decent alternative if you can unleash it before he can execute a second move. Or you can try blocking and grabbing if you feel they won't expect it.

CcrooK said:
Ugh! The fuck is my TE stick!!?! -sigh- I'm tired of playing on this EX2. Getting back into the flow of Sakura which has been fun!
At least you still have an arcade stick. I ordered the Tournament Edition, and recently I've been told I might have to wait an additional 1 to 2 months because of what seems like an European delay. In other words: the standard 360 controller's all I got for who knows how long.

sonicspear64 said:
GGs MicVlad. Dhalsim teleporting, dash-canceling, throw-baiting mindgames FTL! :lol
DAN SQUEELED REAL GOOD

yeb said:
GGs to MicVlad earlier, too. Dhalsim's so different in this game, he seems like a lot of fun. I'm surprised more people don't give him a try.
Your Gen's broken lawl

I mean, I could defend myself a little against your other picks even though I had to get used to 'em (never really encountered Gouken or Seth before), but Gen's 70% combo is outrageous. Couldn't get out of it at all once you got me off my feet.

Raxus said:
Is most of GAF on PSN? The only person I have faced from GAF on live has been haunts.
There are a few Friends of Friends lists (for HD Remix and IV) where the most of us are on.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Icons are definitely not unlocked through trials, only online. Is anyone compiling a list of the ones they've gotten? I can't seem to find anything online about them.
Haven't seen anyone make a list yet, but I do know you keep unlocking new flower icons by playing a fuckton of player matches. I've acquired all but 1 flower icon now after approximately 320 player matches.

PhatSaqs said:
Using the original HD cable that comes with the 360, a triple coupler, and a Panasonic GV180 camera. The component side is in my TV and the composite side is plugged into the coupler along with my camera. Only downside is I cant play in HD but its all good.

is it possible to do with a PS3 and HDMI cable? And what's a tripple couple? I googled and I ended up on lemonparty.....:'(

Barrett2

I got beat by a Ryu this morning who didn't do any special moves. He was so good with his timing (or I am just that bad), that he beat me with all L & M kicks / punches. It was like being pecked to death by a sparrow. -_-

-PXG-

_dementia said:
It's best to just learn from your mistakes instead of getting angry

Does anyone else prefer best of 5 to best of 3?

Five.

I got really good at Smash Bros. by playing those who were better than me, every single day. I literally lost, like, 30 matches in a row. But every time, I would get closer and closer.

Also, you should re-host your avatar. PB bandwith image is showing.

alba

Little is the new Big
I keep getting destroyed online (that's what you get for playing with a pad I guess). I'm having a really awesome time though, this is my third street fighter after 2 on nes and HDremix (but i didn't really play much of that one).

I'm having a blast and so far my favorite character is cviper... even though when I first saw her I really hated the design. What can you do?

Any "new" or not totally going to perfect me everyone ps3 player out there who want to play sometimes? add me! :) psn: alba17

GrayFoxPL

lawblob said:
I got beat by a Ryu this morning who didn't do any special moves. He was so good with his timing (or I am just that bad), that he beat me with all L & M kicks / punches. It was like being pecked to death by a sparrow. -_-

LOL, read my post on previous page. Maybe it was the same guy? :lol

A legend "No special Ryu" is created.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Akachan tore me a new asshole. :lol I have so much to learn about this game. Namely, how to actually pull off moves when I want to as opposed to doing something entirely different. Still can't readily do a f,d,df or even a half circle forward.

RevenantKioku said:
Akachan tore me a new asshole. :lol I have so much to learn about this game. Namely, how to actually pull off moves when I want to as opposed to doing something entirely different. Still can't readily do a f,d,df or even a half circle forward.
If you're having trouble with the SRK motion, just use df,df+P it's a shortcut in SF4.

-PXG-

RevenantKioku said:

I another GAFfer I know IRL told me he was good. I'm not going to bother playing him yet.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
_dementia said:
If you're having trouble with the SRK motion, just use df,df+P it's a shortcut in SF4.
That doesn't help at all! :lol It's like my brain doesn't communicate with my hand at all.

Barrett2

GrayFoxPL said:
LOL, read my post on previous page. Maybe it was the same guy? :lol

A legend "No special Ryu" is created.

Oh shit, it probably was the same dude! :lol

It was scary, too, because I didn't feel like I was losing, by not doing anything special he lulled me into a sense of security. 400 light kicks later I was dead.

LiK

lawblob said:

i remember a guy used the same method on SF 'Turbo on Live. he had turbo or something cuz his Ryu punches were like machine gun fire, lol. it's annoying.

Kintaro said:

I didn't have a problem with his last post, but this one seems strange. If you are going to bitch about the game, don't title it "Some Positive Things..."

GrayFoxPL

lawblob said:
Oh shit, it probably was the same dude! :lol

It was scary, too, because I didn't feel like I was losing, by not doing anything special he lulled me into a sense of security. 400 light kicks later I was dead.

:lol
Yeah I was like: "Uhu, uhu..." and then: "WTF happened?!" :lol

Hope I'll meet him again.

scaffa

I get so nervous when playing online, hope that this will go away someday :lol I'm not used playing fighting games. When the match starts I forget everything and start to panic :lol

Played a couple of matched today with Sakura, I like her and I'm beginning to understand her moves so that's cool but still got a long way to go. Its nice to notice every time you get a little bit better with the game.

Also played some with Rose, enjoy playing with her to and she seems more suitable for my playing style I guess.

Zotty said:
I get so nervous when playing online, hope that this will go away someday :lol I'm not used playing fighting games. When the match starts I forget everything and start to panic :lol

Played a couple of matched today with Sakura, I like her and I'm beginning to understand her moves so that's cool but still got a long way to go. Its nice to notice every time you get a little bit better with the game.

Also played some with Rose, enjoy playing with her to and she seems more suitable for my playing style I guess.

Just keep playing, find some friends to play with rather than randoms and you'll get practice and confidence.

Woo! I finally did Rufus's last trial. You need to hit the c.mk faster than you would think.
GGs, kioku. You just need to block more :p And spend some time in training mode just doing your special moves. You already got good poking down.

LiK

Zotty said:

in most fighting games, i find that if i practice against the AI in Medium or Hard, playing online doesn't feel so bad. i also do not plug my headset in when i play online cuz it's distracting if the guy is trash talking through the whole match.

rawfish

I know it's a very small scale model but it is really dwarfed by its NECA twin!

3305885691_ebe7905229.jpg

F#A#Oo

Banned
atomico said:
The "Brawler Pack" is up @ PSN (US) since last thursday. $4, IIRC
edit: alt costumes for el fuerte, zangief, abel and rufus

no idea about the girl pack

No UK DLC on the PSN... :(

Capcom don't want my monies...

MoxManiac

Zotty said:

Eh, just don't get the feeling there's something on the line, and you won't feel the pressure. Even in ranked, BP is easily recoverable after having a string of losses.

I imagine there's a lot more pressure in the arcade when the loss means you're out .50-$1.00 each time you lose.

Oh, sweet Jesus I love me some Zangief and Abel in this game. Grapplers rule the fucking school.

Zangief is unfair; he seemingly walks through attacks, and all of the different motion options make it so I don't have to jump to buffer my 360s. You block the lariat, you're getting SPDed. You block the green hand, you're getting EX SPDed. You knock me down and hover near me, you're getting EX SPDed. I can negative edge my EX SPD too, so I hold PPP, jump in with a light kick, crouch light kick and letgo of PPP/go into my 360 so I EX SPD after I connect. So delicious :lol

Abel is a Shoto destroyer. People jump in deep or overhead to cross up, and they get skygrabbed. Blocked DP = skygrab. Wheel kick squashes people and hops fireballs, roll crosses people up nicely, and his crouching FP is a perfect link into EX skygrab. Goddammit, I love this game so much.

Also, I finally beat Seth last night...with Zangief. Now to beat it with everyone so I can unlock characters!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Woot, finished all trials for Crimson Viper and Rose. Is it me or some of these advanced combos ain't worth shit when in an actual fight? :lol

LiK

_dementia said:
I thought SOTA had the SF4 toy license, not NECA

SOTA is doing the SF Revolutions figures. NECA is doing the SFIV ones. i gotta say that i'm not a big fan of NECA's sculpt for Chun Li. she looks horrible.

TheCardPlayer said:
Woot, finished all trials for Crimson Viper and Rose. Is it me or some of these advanced combos ain't worth shit when in an actual fight? :lol

yea, unless you're showing off to friends, the basic moves work well enough.

Dizzy-4U

Zotty said:
I was really surprised about her. I only played her very casually on the alpha series but I'm really considering maining her alongside Viper. I played with her a couple of times but I noticed that she has a nice reversal ultra, good anti-air, deals good damage and can reflect fireballs.....it's like a shoto's nightmare.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dizzy-4U said:
Not to make the wait any harder, but man, you have no idea how awesome this game is. The screenshots and videos don't do justice to the game at all. It's so damn beautiful...

At least I know we can play each other since we don't live too far away. I'll return the favor when KOFXII is out :D
KOF XII == GOTY 2009... and yes you are making the wait harder! :lol

Kintaro said:
Like really really quick :( he is bashing it.

LiK said:
SOTA is doing the SF Revolutions figures. NECA is doing the SFIV ones. i gotta say that i'm not a big fan of NECA's sculpt for Chun Li. she looks horrible.
Thanks. I gotta say, I'm with you on Chun.

I noticed SOTA has Necro and Ibuki figures...
If only threre was hope for a Q or Urien :(

Guled

so who else is going to see the SF movie this week? apparently there was a Sakura animated short (by same guys who made the SF4 cutscenes :lol) at the end of the movie in Japan, hopefully that makes it here

Top Bottom