• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
DOH. Decided to hop on Live and freaking Gold expired and I am on silver. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

I always have fun playing against an El Fuerte. He's my favorite opponent no matter who I'm playing as. More people should use him.

Nobody should use Akuma. He is the worst thing that ever happened to Street Fighter. If I see a dude with the words Demon or Evil or Dark in his tag I will not join his game, because there's a 99% chance he's gonna pick Akuma. An Akuma that runs away the entire match and throws air fireballs. I'm not saying he's broke, or cheap. I'm just saying most Akuma players are incredibly boring. Gimme spazzy Kens over him any day.

Barrett2

Man, tough morning. Won my first match, then lost ten in a row, then beat a scrub who was so bad it felt like his dog accidentally started the match and was chewing on the controller.

I wish the game made more use of the Defense, Offense and Technique rankings, and based the BP around that somehow.

I feel that they mean nothing at the end of a match.

I was playing Zangief earlier. I'm not good at Zangief but I want to be. So I went cruising for weaklings in quick match. I found one guy who was really not very good. So not good I felt really bad. So in round 2 I decided to let him take it. I put on a bit of a show. Whittled him down to 10% health or whatever, then made a few token moves to look like I was really into it. Like I do when I play my young nephews. When he had me near dead I took my hands off the stick and started chatting on the computer.

A few seconds later I look up to see that round 3 hasn't started. I somehow won the match even though I wasn't even playing. I have no clue how the fuck that could happen, but it cracked me up.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Nobody should use Akuma. He is the worst thing that ever happened to Street Fighter. If I see a dude with the words Demon or Evil or Dark in his tag I will not join his game, because there's a 99% chance he's gonna pick Akuma.

Eh, i've got my title as Demon King yet i'm maining Fei Long - perhaps I should change it to somthing Fei orientated if people are going to be avoiding anything to do with Akuma :D

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Future said:
The trick is that you have to press MP/MK almost immediately after doing a move. Dont wait to look at the move and try to time it, cuz it will be too late. Dash immediately while your at it, before your character even does the focus cancel. Dash will be buffered and will cancel

I have to time it. I think when I do it as fast as I can it's maybe too fast? When I do it as fast as I can it never works. When I do it sort of casually it sometimes works. I've tried every gradient from as fast as I can to pretty slow and I still just can't get a feel for what the timing is.

what's the deal with people who don't pick a title or icon? Are they trying to make people think they're newbs or something?

If anyone is on psn right now, send me an invite. :]

y2dvd

CartridgeBlower said:
Vega's Hard Challenge Level 1 combo is impossible.

Im-fucking-possible.

Does anyone have any pointers?

I don't get why they choose to make some of these combos so difficult in this game.

Do tournament-level players really use these in game? Wow if they do.

If you think lvl 1 is hard, wait until you get to lvl 5! :lol Most of these combos aren't that practical and requires perfect positioning to pull off or requires a waste of all of your meters. Some are useful tho, and it's usually on the normal challenges lol. You can't teach timing on these one frame links, it's just something you gotta feel for. :\

Dizzy-4U

I got my copy yesterday and I played for 7 hours straight.

I can barely type right now... I have only 1 hour of sleep, my eyes are all red and I can't see shit.......and I totally love the feeling. I haven't been this dried out since Guilty Gear X on DC.

akachan ningen said:
what's the deal with people who don't pick a title or icon? Are they trying to make people think they're newbs or something?

Maybe newbs, maybe dont know or care to set and icon, maybe shoosing no Icon and "Please dont hurt me" gets matches from players that are after easy BP and find themselves getting beat down. :lol

GrayFoxPL

lawblob said:
Man, tough morning. Won my first match, then lost ten in a row, then beat a scrub who was so bad it felt like his dog accidentally started the match and was chewing on the controller.

:lol :lol :lol
Yesterday I felt so embarrased when a Ryu player beat me with just normals. No special moves. So embarassing.

Feral Youth said:
I wish the game made more use of the Defense, Offense and Technique rankings, and based the BP around that somehow.

I feel that they mean nothing at the end of a match.

Good idea. Now it's good only to say to yourself: "Eh, he was not that good." after losing and seeing oponnents E, E, E scores. :lol

Ofshot question:
What type of ultras do you guys prefer?

1.Short. Like Vega(Claw), Blanka

2.Long. Like Abel, Ken.

I prefer short. The long ones start to drag. Begin to feel like unskipable summons.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, seriously, FUCK THIS. I went to the challenge mode, instead of training, and did a dragon punch into FADC like 10 times in a row. I think there's a bug in training mode that makes FADC's not work well with ryu or something, either that or they made it easier in the challenge mode. Now it's almost effortless. I spent over a fucking hour trying to do it in training mode. FUCK.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dizzy-4U said:
I got my copy yesterday and I played for 7 hours straight.

I can barely type right now... I have only 1 hour of sleep, my eyes are all red and I can't see shit.......and I totally love the feeling. I haven't been this dried out since Guilty Gear X on DC.
I should get my SF IV tomorrow !!! Wooooooo !

akachan ningen said:
I've noticed this a lot today. I think that's gotta be it. Or maybe some people never noticed how to edit their title.

I've only seen a handful of icons online. And only two or so that I don't already have. Are they mostly unlocked through the trials? Cuz I'm never gonna clear all those.

Shadow780

akachan ningen said:

I got like 10 ppl PM me about how to get an icon and title...:lol

Rummy Bunnz said:
I've noticed this a lot today. I think that's gotta be it. Or maybe some people never noticed how to edit their title.

I've only seen a handful of icons online. And only two or so that I don't already have. Are they mostly unlocked through the trials? Cuz I'm never gonna clear all those.

I should have been more specific, I meant experienced players with lots of BP who don't set their titles/icon. The only reason I can think of is that they're trying to lure in the newbs for easy wins.

Meliorism

GrayFoxPL said:
Ofshot question:

2.Long. Like Abel, Ken.

I prefer short. The long ones start to drag. Begin to feel like unskipable summons.

I love pulling Rose's ultra off and my opponent has to wait for that long sequence. Fun stuff.

MoxManiac

akachan ningen said:
I should have been more specific, I meant experienced players with lots of BP who don't set their titles/icon. The only reason I can think of is that they're trying to lure in the newbs for easy wins.

I've been tempted to do so since occasionally people will kick me when they see my title and icon? I can't think of another reason, since those were 4 bar matches.

Gagaman

I haven't unlocked a single icon yet, not sure why.

The challenge mode is proving to be a pain in the arse, some moves are simply impossible for me to pull off, especially anything like the while in air hurricane kick or any of the charge attacks, which I have tried a million times but cant seem to pull off.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant too. When cruising for weak comp no icon was a safe bet. But today that hasn't been the case. Lots of good guys with no icons or title.

GrayFoxPL

Timedog said:
Okay, seriously, FUCK THIS. I went to the challenge mode, instead of training, and did a dragon punch into FADC like 10 times in a row. I think there's a bug in training mode that makes FADC's not work well with ryu or something, either that or they made it easier in the challenge mode. Now it's almost effortless. I spent over a fucking hour trying to do it in training mode. FUCK.

Not the first time someone someone implies that input reqirement seems more strict in training mode. I don't think it's bullshit. I've felt it too.

[Nintex]

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Is there some guide so I can use Chun-Li's, Bisons, Blankas, ect's

<--(Charge)----> <--- ---> KKK

Ultra or super combo. I cant seem to do it.

Something like this:

hold <-- for 1.5 sec.
press --> <-- --> KKK (all 3 kick buttons or one of the triggers which has the same effect(RT I think))

rocK`

Banned
I feel like most people are just doing it too fast. The super/ultra is actually really easy when you realize how much time you have doing it.

Rummy Bunnz said:

Icons are definitely not unlocked through trials, only online. Is anyone compiling a list of the ones they've gotten? I can't seem to find anything online about them.

I've got the sapling, which was first win, the focus eye for, I think, the second. I got the chick with the Ryu bandana as well for, I'm guessing, winning with a stun, and for fifth online win I got that Someone Leaping On A Blue Background and a slightly taller sapling. They're not the most robust identification system but I am having a lot of fun messing around with them. I just wish I knew how to get more icons.

I beat Medium with the Zangeif SpinnySpam. I almost felt bad.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Life got in the way and couldn't play yesterday. I know fear I will face more Ken's today, though the flowchart is made of win :lol Man its so easy for me to win online with all the shoto dumbassess. I am doing quick work of them with Chun Li and for the hard ones I bring Blanka. He is really THE shoto killer.

[Nintex]

rocK` said:
I feel like most people are just doing it too fast. The super/ultra is actually really easy when you realize how much time you have doing it.
The hardest ultra's are the charge moves, especially when Seth does the Dhalsim downpunch or when he warps around you so the direction you're facing changes instantly.

Relix said:
Life got in the way and couldn't play yesterday. I know fear I will face more Ken's today, though the flowchart is made of win :lol Man its so easy for me to win online with all the shoto dumbassess. I am doing quick work of them with Chun Li and for the hard ones I bring Blanka. He is really THE shoto killer.

My standing jab says otherwise : )

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GrayFoxPL said:
Not the first time someone someone implies that input reqirement seems more strict in training mode. I don't think it's bullshit. I've felt it too.

It seriously went from 1/20 to like 9/10 attempts made. It was bad enough in training that I put the controller down, didn't touch the dpad, and just tried to do a standing fierce into FADC as fast as humanly possibly pressing the buttons arcade style using both hands so there was no unnecessary movement and I still could only get like 1/20 to work. It was completely random too, anything from doing the button presses HOLY FUCKING SHIT fast, to doing them just pretty fast had the same completion rate about. I hope this shit gets fixed. This sucks if I have to start doing training in the challenge mode because it doesn't have the same options as the training mode does! This is like a night and day difference to me.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Icons are definitely not unlocked through trials, only online. Is anyone compiling a list of the ones they've gotten? I can't seem to find anything online about them.
You can unlock some from the hard trials. I asked some dude about his and he said he got it from beating Vega's hard 5. And I saw a cube-shaped Ryu head that was cute.

This is the only list I've found and it didn't have many icons last I checked. It makes me wonder if they're time-based unlocks?

I beat Medium with the Zangeif SpinnySpam. I almost felt bad.
I beat everything with that shit. Mapped buttons to all kicks and all punches and just mashed 'em while I read a book. Cleared the time trials, survival mode, and hardest difficulty with it. If they're gonna make me grind for stuff that should have been unlocked from the start I'm gonna do it the easiest way possible. Cheat2win!

akachan ningen said:
GGs, bdizzle. You're the first good Abel user I've played so far, which is why I could hardly do anything against him. I think I'm starting to figure him out though.

Thanks it was fun playing against you. Blanka and Honda are my biggest problems, I'm just now starting to figure them out. I haven't played with anyone else since I've discovered abel so I've been using them like I play HDR and been failing hard lol.

so far only 1 person (zerojay) been able to figure my abel out, but I think it's because he used bison which I haven't faced before. abel's so damn versataile, that's why i love him. the only move he doesn't have is an overhead (which is pretty useless in SFIV considering how easy reversals are. i'm still noobish with him though. It's hard to compensate for the online lag in doing combos, FADC'ing, etc. Plus I have to use the dash kick more to suprise people and do hit confirms. hopefully whenever i get my stick it'll help.

Sandman42 said:
Thanks for the help. I guess I just need to take it a little slower. I was trying to roll through his fireballs and he would hit me with a fierce kick as soon as I came out of the roll. But once I get in there, it's over.

no prob, if you want some abel sparring lemme know. i have both versions though i royally suck with the 360 controller.

Rummy Bunnz said:
You can unlock some from the hard trials. I asked some dude about his and he said he got it from beating Vega's hard 5. And I saw a cube-shaped Ryu head that was cute.

This is the only list I've found and it didn't have many icons last I checked. It makes me wonder if they're time-based unlocks?

I beat everything with that shit. Mapped buttons to all kicks and all punches and just mashed 'em while I read a book. Cleared the time trials, survival mode, and hardest difficulty with it. If they're gonna make me grind for stuff that should have been unlocked from the start I'm gonna do it the easiest way possible. Cheat2win!

Thanks for that link.

And yeah, I just unlocked Akuma with Zangeif before work.

:lol

gutter_trash said:
Good Games, Xavipants (i was JeRkY)

The funniest match was Bison vs El Fuerte.. that was hilarious hahaha, flying, running, teleporting lol into the Nigthmare Booster

you and you're damn honda lol. the last time we played I didn't know a standing mp stops headbutts. I think I can now stop losing so much against honda/blanka players.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
bdizzle said:
you and you're damn honda lol. the last time we played I didn't know a standing mp stops headbutts. I think I can now stop losing so much against honda/blanka players.

There are a ton of things like this that I just don't know. I wish there was a mega list somewhere containing this type of info.

Cowie

GrayFoxPL said:
Ofshot question:

2.Long. Like Abel, Ken.

I really like the length of Abel's Ultra, it feels like it breaks up the momentum of the fight nicely.

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
I should get my SF IV tomorrow !!! Wooooooo !
Not to make the wait any harder, but man, you have no idea how awesome this game is. The screenshots and videos don't do justice to the game at all. It's so damn beautiful...

At least I know we can play each other since we don't live too far away. I'll return the favor when KOFXII is out :D

xero273

I am reading up on Akuma and came across some thing called karas demon. I followed their instruction and tried to do that move (forward + MP, LP, LP, LK+Back or forward+HP). When I do it, all it does is have akuma punch and then he goes into demon. What is this move suppose to look like? Thanks.

PhatSaqs

Banned
bdizzle said:
howd u record the vid?
Using the original HD cable that comes with the 360, a triple coupler, and a Panasonic GV180 camera. The component side is in my TV and the composite side is plugged into the coupler along with my camera. Only downside is I cant play in HD but its all good.

Hey does anyone know of any videos showing all the taunts?

_dementia said:
lol, I caved and bought the Femme Fatale costume pack this morning.
I'm pretty anti-microtransaction but I have a weakness for Capcom games. I fell for it in MM9 and I may fall for it here...I know it's wrong but I tell myself it's not that bad since MS points are so easy to come by...!

Timedog said:
FADC'ing during a move, like a dragon punch or whatever is so unbelievably hard. Is there like one frame of timing where it works or something? Maybe I'm missing something? I'm trying to jumping HK, standing HP, cancel into dragon punch, into FADC cancel into ultra combo fireball with ryu, and I can't do it. Even when I try just doing a dragon punch into FADC cancel without doing the rest of the combo, it works like 1/20 times. It's so annoying. I feel insane.

just keep practicing. you just have to get the timing down. if you have a problem consistently pulling off the dash after the FA, map FA to a button in practice mode just to get the timing down. I've done it 3 or 4 times in a match, but I rarely play with Ryu even though my dream is to be the best ryu player in the universe. hopefully youre not using the 360 controller cause I couldn't do it for shit. I'

Top Bottom