• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Abusing that little part of the flowchart is how you beat 90% of Ken/Ryu/Akuma/Sagat/Sakura/etc/etc.

After you knock them down stand right next to their body out of grab range but within SRK range. Without fail, they'll attempt the SRK and you can punish them for it.

Obviously you don't do this over and over, but it works always always. A bunch of them will whip out their ultra upon wake-up too, clearly not having learned anything.

...I can only imagine the swearing that they do at their own incompetence to adapt :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
On the flip side, i haven't run into many Ken's that act like that anymore. Actually, none of the Ken's I played today were like that.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Dreams-Visions said:
no.

it's been like that since the site redesign. someone said they have a new (cheap) owner.

Shoryuken.com doesn't make much money if at all from what I heard... so i would be cheap too...

GrayFoxPL

_tetsuo_ said:
LOL has this been posted yet?

Ken flowchart

I dont know if thats old but its still funny as hell.

True and hilarious! :D

Yesterday I started playing Gen. Can't master Crane yet. Is it me or d+ HK from crane is disadvantage even on hit? Seems to have insane recovery time. When I switch to crane I forget about it and try to sweep. Awesome ultras but with my shitty pad they are almost impossible to use without mapping 3 buttons to one of main 6 buttons. Must switch to old shitty stick just for Gen today.

"You can not guard what you can not see!"

Vega is awesome.

Btw. How are your voice setting stand for characters now?

Before I got the game I thought I'd set all voices to japan, but now I only have Ken, Sakura, Zangief and Dan set to japan rest are all in english. I love'em.
No one will tell me that Japanese Vega or Gen sound better. No way. :D

Edit: Forgot that I also have Chunli and Fei on japanese. I'm a fucking liar!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Japanese: Akuma, Chun-Li, E. Honda, Fei-Long, Gen, Gouken (When I unlock him), Ryu, andSakura.
English: Everyone else.

Also why is Ryu missing from the OP?

Xater

I have all asian charactercs (that includes Akuma and Gouken) and Blanka set to japanese.

@Grey Fox: We need to play soon again so I can try to learn Rose. :D

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
I have all asian charactercs (that includes Akuma and Gouken) and Blanka set to japanese.

@Grey Fox: We need to play soon again so I can try to learn Rose. :D

Yeah, I'll be ready later today :D.

Don't know exactly when I'll be free as work servers at my job are fucking up since last week, and we must work longer.

The fucking server technicians must be screwing around playing SFIV - I don't believe in coincidence !

RubxQub

usea said:
If it always always works, why wouldn't you do it over and over?
60% of the time, it works, everytime.

MIMIC

Banned
Anyone else think that Cammy has a really safe Ultra? If you're blocking while she does it, she flips away from you in the end. I can't recall whether or not it's within the range of a counter.

_tetsuo_ said:
LOL has this been posted yet?

kenflow.png

I dont know if thats old but its still funny as hell.

:lol That's awesome.

decon

TheHogDog and me had like 15 games yesterday, was awesome though he's still a bit better than me. If there's any EU players out there, add me on PSN: decon89

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Viper users, what's the timing for a focus attack into EX Thunder Knuckle? The 360 pad ain't exactly helping either.

Alright got it. The timing is off for me compared to the other characters for some reason. Might be stress. :lol

GrayFoxPL said:
Yesterday I started playing Gen. Can't master Crane yet. Is it me or d+ HK from crane is disadvantage even on hit? Seems to have insane recovery time. When I switch to crane I forget about it and try to sweep. Awesome ultras but with my shitty pad they are almost impossible to use without mapping 3 buttons to one of main 6 buttons. Must switch to old shitty stick just for Gen today.

Yeah, Crane c.HK gives them a free attack even on hit, you shouldn't use it unless it'll ko or stun them. I still use it sometimes as an anti-air though, but that's more instinct and is probably a dumb idea.

Once you get the hang of crane though, it's great. Sure the hard normals are ridiculously slow but jumping HK + forward HK is great and c.lk is easily hit confirmed so you can land you're super and ultra no sweat.

GrayFoxPL

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
Yeah, Crane c.HK gives them a free attack even on hit, you shouldn't use it unless it'll ko or stun them. I still use it sometimes as an anti-air though, but that's more instinct and is probably a dumb idea.

Once you get the hang of crane though, it's great. Sure the hard normals are ridiculously slow but jumping HK + forward HK is great and c.lk is easily hit confirmed so you can land you're super and ultra no sweat.

Thanks man. Yeah, I just read on the 1up guide that cHK should be used as antiair, but it's still seems risky for me. I must use HK f+Hk more. :D

RubxQub

lawblob said:
Nice! Nothing like starting the day with a victory over Viper for +130 BP

:D
Bah!

I have my filter set to "people with higher BP than me" but alas I keep playing fools with 450-600 BP instead of 1500+ BP.

Either hardly anyone is at that BP or the filters are busted.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they'd wished this game had character specific BP stats, similar to VF. And maaaan I agree. It would be such a great feature. I've burnt through all my BP numerous times while dicking around with unfamiliar characters. And that's OK, I'm not very hung up on the pointz. But it would be nice to have a running tally for each character. I'm also confused by the win percentage stat - it's tracking all matches, ranked, player, vs and arcade, huh?

GrayFoxPL

RubxQub said:
Bah!

I have my filter set to "people with higher BP than me" but alas I keep playing fools with 450-600 BP instead of 1500+ BP.

Either hardly anyone is at that BP or the filters are busted.

It's the filters. I had people challenge me to win 1bp, I don't think they aimed for such amount. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Rummy Bunnz said:
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they'd wished this game had character specific BP stats, similar to VF. And maaaan I agree. It would be such a great feature. I've burnt through all my BP numerous times while dicking around with unfamiliar characters. And that's OK, I'm not very hung up on the pointz. But it would be nice to have a running tally for each character. I'm also confused by the win percentage stat - it's tracking all matches, ranked, player, vs and arcade, huh?

agreed, except that i am getting a little hung up on the pointz. decided to stick with guile (my main) in ranked matches tonight to see if i could boost them a bit, started at 1300, promptly went on a nice little winning streak, decided to hit 2000 before i signed off, and only took ALL FUCKING NIGHT doing it. three separate times i lost ~100 bp when i was one win from the goal. by the end i was exhausted and missing all my combos. this system is unkind to folks with obsessive compulsive tendencies

Barrett2

Man, I am getting sooo close to beating people with BP much higher than me. I just can't quite seem to close the deal. But at least my Abel is definitely improving.

Sometimes it feels like HP isn't responsive on my stick... I don't know, its probably just my imagination.

RubxQub

Is there a way to play charge characters without turtling?

I feel like every Guile I've played against is sitting prone waiting for me to approach them. They'll either toss out the sonic boom and follow it in with a jumping HK/crouching HK or just wait there for me to get close so they can counter with a flash kick.

Can you play a charge character aggressively or do the charge times not really allow it? I'll say that if you can, I haven't run into one yet.

I've yet to hit 2000. I've had shit luck with the matchmaking. Usually when I search or more skilled I get dudes below 1000. Lose to them? You're down 100 points. Win and you get like...40. I'm only running into dudes around 2000BP now. When I'm down to 400. They are killing me.

Trying to join quick match for easier comp is not working. It seems especially busted tonight. Earlier I had the same guy filling up all 3 slots nearly every time I searched. Also most folks don't have icons until you join, which wasn't the case before. And searching for stability gave me like 3 results every time, mostly 1 bar.. Did they do something server side?

I guess I could go to player but I dunno, there is something kinda icky and personal and social about that. Ranked match is like an anonymous truckstop tryst. That's how I like it. I know I have to give it my all that match because I'm most likely never going to run into that opponent again. With player I get sloppier. Plus I feel weird when I gotta break it off.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, I'll be ready later today :D.

Don't know exactly when I'll be free as work servers at my job are fucking up since last week, and we must work longer.

The fucking server technicians must be screwing around playing SFIV - I don't believe in coincidence !

I'll probably have time in the evening. I have to spend some time at the library today to get some sources for a paper.

Rotanibor

RubxQub said:
Can you play a charge character aggressively or do the charge times not really allow it? I'll say that if you can, I haven't run into one yet.

I play pretty aggressively with my Bison. I'd say he's probably the most aggressive of the charge characters at that. I'm more or less flying at my opponent most of the time with scissor kicks getting up in their face.

RubxQub said:

I feel like every Guile I've played against is sitting prone waiting for me to approach them. They'll either toss out the sonic boom and follow it in with a jumping HK/crouching HK or just wait there for me to get close so they can counter with a flash kick.

My Blanka style can be relentless against some characters. The only time I "turtle" is against specific characters and to draw out idiots using DPs (and then punish them).

My friend asked me the same question and I showed him that if you play a charge character correctly, you don't even know that they are charging for moves because its all done in the background while you are doing other moves. If you screw up your charge, however, you have to take a breather sometimes or perform an action that buys time to get that charge back (jumping backwards, etc).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
RubxQub said:

i try to play guile aggressively in this game, and i think he's pretty effective in that style, though i can't pull it off all the time. you can charge during a jump-in, or hide the charge behind certain normals. as haunts's 1up guide suggests, he can put a ton of pressure on cornered opponents

actually i feel like classic defensive guile isn't much good in sf4, in that his flashkick is so porous and fireballs aren't nearly as useful as they are in sf2

GrayFoxPL

RubxQub said:

Well, core Guile gameplay is fortress style, but I have no fucking patience to sit still more then 5 seconds :lol. I play agressively, it can be done. After a sonic boom, I hop forward with back lk while charging another. Come in close, focus, cMP and df+HK to EX Flashkick combo.

I do helluva flash kicks. They may be risky, but they charge fast and come out so quick that often they don't know what hit them.

Xater said:
I'll probably have time in the evening. I have to spend some time at the library today to get some sources for a paper.

Cool, man. Untill then. :D

Future

Damn. Finally turned on "accept challengers" or whatever during arcade, and this game has now become my favorite game this gen. I already know it. Fuck this is good. Only one horribly laggy match.

I seem to be the one Chun Li on the block. Dont mind that at all, although I'm curious how other people play her, cuz I'm sure I suck. CPU prepares you pretty well from the onslaughts of Sagats and Kens. Even Zangief I seem to have under control. But the cpu doesnt help you with Dhalsim, Balrog or Blanka. And I wish I could keep playing them to learn...but NOPE. Another Ken.

All my wins come against shotos. But everyone else surprises me and I dont know what to expect. Some dudes Dhalsim was killin me with zoning, and Blanka especially seemed impossible to catch. I dont think I am quick enough with chun li yet to use her speed as an advantage

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FADC'ing during a move, like a dragon punch or whatever is so unbelievably hard. Is there like one frame of timing where it works or something? Maybe I'm missing something? I'm trying to jumping HK, standing HP, cancel into dragon punch, into FADC cancel into ultra combo fireball with ryu, and I can't do it. Even when I try just doing a dragon punch into FADC cancel without doing the rest of the combo, it works like 1/20 times. It's so annoying. I feel insane.

GrayFoxPL

Future said:
Damn. Finally turned on "accept challengers" or whatever during arcade, and this game has now become my favorite game this gen. I already know it. Fuck this is good. Only one horribly laggy match.

I seem to be the one Chun Li on the block. Dont mind that at all, although I'm curious how other people play her, cuz I'm sure I suck. CPU prepares you pretty well from the onslaughts of Sagats and Kens. Even Zangief I seem to have under control. But the cpu doesnt help you with Dhalsim, Balrog or Blanka. And I wish I could keep playing them to learn...but NOPE. Another Ken.

All my wins come against shotos. But everyone else surprises me and I dont know what to expect. Some dudes Dhalsim was killin me with zoning, and Blanka especially seemed impossible to catch. I dont think I am quick enough with chun li yet to use her speed as an advantage

One low short into EX legs...
Two low shorts into EX legs...
Three low shorts into EX legs and combo it into ULTRA!

Yeah!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Shadow780

Timedog said:
FADC'ing during a move, like a dragon punch or whatever is so unbelievably hard. Is there like one frame of timing where it works or something? Maybe I'm missing something? I'm trying to jumping HK, standing HP, cancel into dragon punch, into FADC cancel into ultra combo fireball with ryu, and I can't do it. Even when I try just doing a dragon punch into FADC cancel without doing the rest of the combo, it works like 1/20 times. It's so annoying. I feel insane.

Just do it as fast as you can, that's pretty much it...

GrayFoxPL

Timedog said:

You do not miss anything, it is really that hard. When I watvhed all those videos prior release it looked so easy, when I tried it by myself - o_O;. Ball crushing hard, especially on a pad.

RubxQub

maniac-kun said:
thats it i quit sf4 online. again 8/10 fights against ken and 2 akuma iam done with this shit.
I admit it's a bit lame, but to stop playing the game all together online is just not an option dude :lol

The game is waaaaaay too good.

chaoticprout said:
My friend needs help on Rufus' 2nd Hard Trial. he can't connect the Falcon Kick -> Heavy Punch

Any help?

he should aim the falcon kick at dan's feet, not his chest.

maniac-kun said:
thats it i quit sf4 online. again 8/10 fights against ken and 2 akuma iam done with this shit.

play against gaffers. we choose a wide variety of characters.

Future

Timedog said:

The trick is that you have to press MP/MK almost immediately after doing a move. Dont wait to look at the move and try to time it, cuz it will be too late. Dash immediately while your at it, before your character even does the focus cancel. Dash will be buffered and will cancel

One low short into EX legs...
Two low shorts into EX legs...
Three low shorts into EX legs and combo it into ULTRA!

Yeah!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Damn straight ;). I need to find more ways to combo the ultra though. I've seen a video of someone crumpling the opponent with a focus hit, then dash cancelling forward into an Ultra. I dont even know how this is possible since you have to buffer the dash to get it to come out, but at the same time be charging back for the Ultra?

Timedog said:

Hit training mode, practice with Ken and cancel on the second hit of fierce DP. Timing is quite easy, dash while holdind MP + MK then launch ultra. Timing with Ryu seems to harder, but a sweet little combo is jumping HP, St. HP, EX Hurriane, Ultra.

I need a fightpad to pull off the more advance techniques, can't even kara through on stock 360 pad.

On a separate note, I'm trying to learn Abel, but finding his lack of a reliable anti air to be a major detriment. His air throw lacks the range of a shoryuken, and c.HP loses out to a lot, what the hell is a brotha to do?

Oh, and does anything have priority over lariet?

CPS2

Future said:
Damn straight ;). I need to find more ways to combo the ultra though. I've seen a video of someone crumpling the opponent with a focus hit, then dash cancelling forward into an Ultra. I dont even know how this is possible since you have to buffer the dash to get it to come out, but at the same time be charging back for the Ultra?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv67HQg_JRM&fmt=18

I use Chunli a fair bit, her easiest ultra combo imo is upkicks into ultra. Basically what I do is block a dragon punch, flash kick or whatever, then walk forward and hit back+mk twice, down, up+kick, then walk back, wait until they almost hit the ground, and then ultra. It also works after a lvl 2 or 3 focus attack. Dash in, upkick, ultra. They have to be in the corner for all the hits to connect.

You can also get it pretty easily from double fierce in the air. Throw a fireball to stuff any dragon punch attempts, then j.HPx2, wait until they almost land, ultra.

It's also not too hard off EX spinning bird, but they can go in random directions off this. The best way I've found to do it, is when they're in the corner and you're using EX bird as a wakeup attack. It's a rare situation but easy enough to do.

Personally I think these are all easier than EX legs>ultra.

Rummy Bunnz said:
I've yet to hit 2000. I've had shit luck with the matchmaking. Usually when I search or more skilled I get dudes below 1000. Lose to them? You're down 100 points. Win and you get like...40. I'm only running into dudes around 2000BP now. When I'm down to 400. They are killing me.
Yes, I'm quoting myself!

Despite my bitching I do vastly prefer this to HDR's plain win-loss record. I never got out of the huge hole I dug myself during my first few days with HDR. I went like...5-80. Just something insane. And I loved to play the game but it also caused me a bit of stress. Getting a positive win percentage became a bit of an obsession, and took some fun out of the game. And everyone could see how many damn times I lost. Everyone could see my shame! It sucked. And the rankings were all fucked - JJ Squawkers is still at the top of the scoreboard on my friends list and he has a 0-3 record.

So I'll take BP and all its screwiness over a plain W-L record, cuz even if I do lose I can get myself back up without much effort. The system definitely needs some work though. Is this the same setup they had in CvS2 XBL? I remember some kinda points. And I remember they didn't penalize droppers at all at first. At least they've almost learned that lesson.

I really wish the 360 custom soundtrack option didn't suck so much dick, cuz I'd love to create my own playlist for the game. It's no good the way it's currently implemented. I want a new song to play every time I start a fight!

kiryogi

Banned
Whelp, finally put in some time and got around 200 BP. Several losses, but all very important ones to learn from. I main Chun li currently as well. Sorta fell in love with her after seeing Haneyama use her. I've been studying tons of videos too XD Nothing close to execution, but I got a good idea of her priorities and whatnot. My matches tonight weren't all shotos, but man I sure did love punishing them with her. :D

I need to face more of you Gaff-ers! I've only faced Revenantkioku and Pancakesandsex so far. Who else is interested? I suck but all in good fun I hope. Oh and I'm on PSN.

Top Bottom