• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Xater

Arthrus said:
I played the PS3 version for about an hour with my friend the other day, and a few things stood out:

1. Load times were really long. Is there some sort of install that fixes this?
2. Some characters (like Zangief) felt really slow compared to HD Remix. Are they really, or do I need to just get used to them?
3. My friend tells me easy is incredibly difficult for him, which surprises me. Is the computer crazy hard this time around?

1. Yes
2. Haven't really noticed it
3. No way. The AI is totally easy except maybe Seth. With Sagat for example you can just abuse the tige rknee and win.

Baker

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Really? In every Gief match I'm had it feels like the only easy thing was punishing flats, lariats still had a habit of totally fucking me up and it feels like really hard work whoever I take him down with thanks to his huge amount of health and scrub friendly SPDs which will still take off a quarter of your health.

That said the only other really hard matches I've had with Abel would be those against Blanka. I really wish there was a way to punish the roles easily without a super/ultra.

Agreed.

Abel vs Zangief = Abel will win 9 times out of 10

Abel vs Blanka = Abel will lose 999 times out of 1000

I'm sure if someone played Blanka with varying styles, it would be different. However, all they have to do is spam forward rolls and electrocute on wake up. The only thing I've found is there is an exact sweet spot (around 2/3 the screen away) where the Wheel Kick will knock them out of electrocution.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Arthrus said:
I played the PS3 version for about an hour with my friend the other day, and a few things stood out:

1. Load times were really long. Is there some sort of install that fixes this?
2. Some characters (like Zangief) felt really slow compared to HD Remix. Are they really, or do I need to just get used to them?
3. My friend tells me easy is incredibly difficult for him, which surprises me. Is the computer crazy hard this time around?

1. yes, you can install.

2. Some characters are slow. Some are faster. Just the style of those fighters. It's always going to be slower/faster than something else, so just judge it by what it is. For me, I got used to the speed pretty quickly.

3. Just the last boss people have problems with. Actually, in general, I'd say the CPU is tougher on the easiest settings than other games. I wouldn't call it "incredibly difficult" tho.

Nightz

Finally got my 5 wins in a row achievement with E. Honda last night and stopped after that. Hoping to get 5 more when I get home to get the 10 consecutive wins, but knowing me, it'll be an epic fail. :lol

Hugbot

Maybe someone here can help - on Seth's last combo of his 4th normal challenge, do you need to dash before the crouching HP? I can't seem to pop him up high enough to land the kicks, but trying to dash there just makes me shoryuken most of the time.

Odrion

Banned
The computer just reads your button inputs and counters, it's annoying but you can get by from just finding an effective move and spamming it.

But yeah, don't use the AI to train. :/

LiK

Facism said:
Came across a Gief user earlier who did nothing bit jump > that cheap twirly move that ignores every fucking move you throw at it.

After losing the first round i just spammed Sagat's fireballs and tiger knee whenever he tried to jump. Got a perfect for the last round and clocked him with an ultra.

ugh, guess i'll need to expect that when i go online against a Zangief player. does Blanka's electric attack work well against the Lariat? i might just spam that against them, lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It does appear as though Gief's are easily the most punishable if they don't mix up their game.

Reading the last few responses in this thread and remembering the match I had yesterday with Gief, it seems like if you just know a few tricks with Gief and spam them, anyone with a brain is going to figure it out and punish you hard for it.

As I said before, I LITERALLY, did the EXACT same motions for two rounds and the guy didn't figure out how to counter it.

Chicken Wing in, Jumping HK out.

...for like 30 times in a row :lol

He'd either get hit by the chicken wing trying to get out of the corner and block the chicken wing and get hit by my jumping HK out. I'd jump out of his grabs (even ultra and EX) and he never once tried to jump attack my Chicken Wing so in the corner he sat, getting perfected for the next two rounds after completely cheesing my ass the round before.

...I hate grab characters so much!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nightz said:
Finally got my 5 wins in a row achievement with E. Honda last night and stopped after that. Hoping to get 5 more when I get home to get the 10 consecutive wins, but knowing me, it'll be an epic fail. :lol

Ugh. I finally got up to 5 wins in a row. So I decide to stop while I'm ahead and play some player matches. Somehow it stopped my win streak when I lost :( Then I lost like 7 in a row.

RubxQub

ShinAmano said:
Now I am curious...what?
I'm guessing a guy in a Red/White/Blue skintight leotard with greasy fingers and a wet asscrack.

Baker said:
Agreed.

Abel vs Zangief = Abel will win 9 times out of 10

Abel vs Blanka = Abel will lose 999 times out of 1000

I'm sure if someone played Blanka with varying styles, it would be different. However, all they have to do is spam forward rolls and electrocute on wake up. The only thing I've found is there is an exact sweet spot (around 2/3 the screen away) where the Wheel Kick will knock them out of electrocution.

You can also knock them out of it with COD and I'm guessing his lp command throw will work as well but I've yet to get a chance to check this. The major issue with Blanka is that he's going to prevent you rushing and pressuring him on wake-up, which is where Abel does all his damage. I think the best bet is hitting him out of rolls with a C. MP then grabbing him out of his diving in roll which is another thing I've yet to try out but I've got a feeling it would work. Needless to say it results in a very boring match.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So whats the correct way to unlock Gouken? I was going to update the op but seems like there are so many variations..

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SuperEnemyCrab said:
lol thats kinda what I felt about it to after I read it. Seems some of the real hardcore fans are loathe to admit SFIV is actually pretty damn fun. Obviously there are issues, but the fundamental gameplay is solid and IMO will stand the test of time as well as any of the SF's.

Hardcore SF fans fall into two categories with SF IV:

Are willing to give it a chance, learn the new stuff, treat it like a new game and get really good at it (Daigo)

Suck at it, dislike change and want it to play like Super Turbo, will worship it in 8 years time (Sirlin?)

Question: I play with sakura, and I have a problem that whenever I block somebody's move, I cant get an attack off fast enough that they can't block it. Yet, They can always get a cheap uppercut after a spinning kick, I even blocked that, and then I tried to unload, and they blocked my shit right out of an uppercut and were able to counter. Is there some reason why I can't punish characters I block?

RubxQub

haunts said:
So whats the correct way to unlock Gouken? I was going to update the op but seems like there are so many variations..
Anyone who says they know is lying, so don't worry about it.

my best win steaks were with Bison and Honda.

with Honda, you got to take the damage lead early, then your opponent gets panicky because he just learned about how much easy damage Honda can inflict when he nails you.

Akuma low stamina + Honda high damage = quick rounds

Xater

haunts said:

I did it with just one round: 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra finishes. That definately worked.

LiK

haunts said:

2 perfects and 3 ultras with no losing rounds. there is no order for the perfects or ultra finishers because i got Gouken even tho i didn't follow the order of other guides.

and i beat Gouken with a regular win. nothing special and he was unlocked.

Struct09

haunts said:

After unlocking Akuma and clearing arcade mode with him, here's what I did on easiest difficulty set to one round (I used Bison):

First two rounds: Perfects

Next three rounds: Ultra finishes

No continues.

That got him for me.

RubxQub said:
It does appear as though Gief's are easily the most punishable if they don't mix up their game.

Reading the last few responses in this thread and remembering the match I had yesterday with Gief, it seems like if you just know a few tricks with Gief and spam them, anyone with a brain is going to figure it out and punish you hard for it.

As I said before, I LITERALLY, did the EXACT same motions for two rounds and the guy didn't figure out how to counter it.

...for like 30 times in a row :lol

He'd either get hit by the chicken wing trying to get out of the corner and block the chicken wing and get hit by my jumping HK out. I'd jump out of his grabs (even ultra and EX) and he never once tried to jump attack my Chicken Wing so in the corner he sat, getting perfected for the next two rounds after completely cheesing my ass the round before.

...I hate grab characters so much!

Using Abel..

Wheel kick and crouching heavy kick, throw in the occasionally EX change of direction. Works every time. At least against the players I went up against. And yeah, Drop throw/Pincer throw are your friend!

iam220

Is it just me or is sagat once again way too overpowered? I'm using him as my main and I'm noticing more and more peeps choosing him. Is he becoming the new ken?

Jirotrom

Spirit of Jazz said:
Really? In every Gief match I'm had it feels like the only easy thing was punishing flats, lariats still had a habit of totally fucking me up and it feels like really hard work whoever I take him down with thanks to his huge amount of health and scrub friendly SPDs which will still take off a quarter of your health.

That said the only other really hard matches I've had with Abel would be those against Blanka. I really wish there was a way to punish the roles easily without a super/ultra.
His SPD's are not scrub friendly... they still require skill to pull them off on a player.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Raging Spaniard said:
Hardcore SF fans fall into two categories with SF IV:

Are willing to give it a chance, learn the new stuff, treat it like a new game and get really good at it (Daigo)

Suck at it, dislike change and want it to play like Super Turbo, will worship it in 8 years time (Sirlin?)

You can say that about any game, but I think the added dimension of Sirlin's massive ego and his mod of Super Turbo adds some hilarity to the proceedings.

LiK said:
ugh, guess i'll need to expect that when i go online against a Zangief player. does Blanka's electric attack work well against the Lariat? i might just spam that against them, lol

I've been taking down Zangiefs by using the ball roll with kicks (the one that arcs over the top and hits them on the head, not the up-ball) and the sliding punch. Both cut right through the lariat! I love it when Giefs keep spamming Lariat even when it is so clearly not working. :D

Xater

iam220 said:
Is it just me or is sagat once again way too overpowered? I'm using him as my main and I'm noticing more and more peeps choosing him. Is he becoming the new ken?

Dude Sagat is top tier. That's pretty well known.

@Haunts: Maybe you have to beat the game with everyone before? I know that I did that.

Sagat has allot going for him, his combo-ability is high and if he shoves you in the corner with a Super + Revenge Meter... LOL he is radically dangerous

plus his crouching fierce is a hit confirming normal, haha

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
RubxQub said:
Anyone who says they know is lying, so don't worry about it.

beat the game with Akuma first, then one round, not infinite, 2 perfects, 3 ultras, no continues... haven't heard of that failing for anyone yet.

RubxQub

levious said:
beat the game with Akuma first, then one round, not infinite, 2 perfects, 3 ultras, no continues... haven't heard of that failing for anyone yet.
Some billion pages ago I detailed my horror, doing exactly this multiple times with multiple people, fighting Gouken once and not unlocking him, and then eventually it magically worked when I did it with Ryu.

LiK

bobbyconover said:
I've been taking down Zangiefs by using the ball roll with kicks (the one that arcs over the top and hits them on the head, not the up-ball) and the sliding punch. Both cut right through the lariat! I love it when Giefs keep spamming Lariat even when it is so clearly not working. :D

ah, cool. i should try that. even tho Blanka feels slower in SFIV, he's still one of my mains for online play. ^_^

haunts said:
What I dont understand is I got Gouken to appear but i beat him and he didnt unlock so whats that all about?

weird. i got him the first time he appeared.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
and you had already cleared the game with Akuma? I don't know then, glad I didn't have that trouble.

Xater

RubxQub said:
Some billion pages ago I detailed my horror, doing exactly this multiple times with multiple people, fighting Gouken once and not unlocking him, and then eventually it magically worked when I did it with Ryu.

Has nothing to do with Ryu because I unlocked him on my first try with Sagat.

Nightz said:
i think it resets after you log off...it did to me

KdoubleA

haunts said:
What I dont understand is I got Gouken to appear but i beat him and he didnt unlock so whats that all about?

This is EXACTLY how I did it for both PS3 and 360 versions:

1) Unlocked Akuma,

2) Beat the game with Akuma

3) Then beat the game AGAIN with Akuma (atleast that's who I used both times...I got to Gouken with C.Viper and beat him but he didn't unlock for some reason....but I can't remember if that was before or after I first beat the game with Akuma):

Arcade settings: Easiest/ 1-Round

I'm pretty sure it's interchangeable between matches but you need in total 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes...However, this is how I remember doing it for the 360 version:

1st Match: Perfect
2nd Match: Ultra Finish (and Perfect)
3rd Match: Ultra Finish
4th Match: Ultra Finish
. The rest just beat normal

NO continues (not even against Seth)!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
gutter_trash said:
Sagat has allot going for him, his combo-ability is high and if he shoves you in the corner with a Super + Revenge Meter... LOL he is radically dangerous

plus his crouching fierce is a hit confirming normal, haha

I just wish they still let you 2 in1 HK like in HD:R.

The number of perfects and ultras for Gouken seems debatable I guess. I got 3 perfects and 3 ultras when I unlocked him, other people have supposedly got 1 perfect and 3 ultras.

MoxManiac

KdoubleA said:
This is EXACTLY how I did it for both PS3 and 360 versions:

1) Unlocked Akuma,

2) Beat the game with Akuma

3) Then beat the game AGAIN with Akuma (atleast that's who I used both times...I got to Gouken with C.Viper and beat him but he didn't unlock for some reason....but I can't remember if that was before or after I first beat the game with Akuma):

Arcade settings: Easiest/ 1-Round

I'm pretty sure it's interchangeable between matches but you need in total 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes...However, this is how I did it:

1st Match: Perfect
2nd Match: Ultra Finish (and Perfect)
3rd Match: Ultra Finish
4th Match: Ultra Finish
. The rest just beat normal

NO continues (not even against Seth)!

The main thing about gouken is that you can use anyone to unlock him, as long as you've finished the game once with akuma, AND, this is the important one, you need to have finished the game at least once with the character you're using to unlock gouken.

Okay, I figured out that by watching top players on youtube that they do less big attacks and more small attacks, so they don't commit to being open unless they know they have an opening. Basically, you attack someone like you would if you were using an ultra: Don't attack if you don't think it will for sure land. Put it into practice, 3 shoto posuers dead.

Top Bottom