• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Xevren

It's really easy to counter Guile's sweep. I main him and try to refrain from the sweep, unless im playing a retard. You can FA the 2nd hit with everyone, theres a lot of options depending on who you play.

KdoubleA

Dreams-Visions said:
also, speaking of Guile, is there an effective counter to Guile's cr. FK? as in, is there a hit that can be plugged in between the first and second kicks in the sweep?

Wouldn't Viper's f.MP overhead work?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
nasero said:
Honda is always fun to play!
Do not listen to this man! Honda blows...

...the fuck out of Fei Long with his impenetrable defense! NO HONDA PLAYERS ALLOWED!

Barrett2

Chamber said:
Started messing around with charge characters today and I'm finding Vega really fun though I'm certain I couldn't yet be effective with him. Right now, I'm still rolling with Guile.

Overall I'm finding charge motions less difficult than QCFs.

I never touch charge players, I had a hard time with them as a kid in SF2, since then I avoided them. But maybe nows the time to reconsider, it would be cool learning to use Blanka.

Getting better at countering anti airs, but I still need a long way to go. I can counter 1,2, 3 but my timing isn't there yet and if a Ken player gets a good one on me he can do a nice chunk of damage and build off that. I know once I get good at anti airs, the players so well described in the flo chart won't be much of a problem, but right now I'm still in training.

I have these brief flashes where I wreck these guys, Sim is just unreal. I love Abel, but Dhalsim is so cool and has so much personality and a unique style.

I think I am going to devote some time to Sim's challenge mode to get more familiar with him.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dreams-Visions said:
question about Ken's cross-up game: is that shit unblockable? or is it just the mental challenge of knowing the hit will register on the other side? It messes with my mind in the same way that Guile's cr. FK can mess with my mind (getting caught just because I forget that second, more powerful leg is coming around :lol ).

also, speaking of Guile, is there an effective counter to Guile's cr. FK? as in, is there a hit that can be plugged in between the first and second kicks in the sweep?

Well its obviously not unblockable, just block the opposite way. and block the following crouching jabs/shorts and just watch out for the throw.

Against guiles FK, its 20 frames between the first hit and second hit so theoretically you could do EX Siesmo between the first and second hit...but I usually just block both hits..

Xevren said:
It's really easy to counter Guile's sweep. I main him and try to refrain from the sweep, unless im playing a retard. You can FA the 2nd hit with everyone, theres a lot of options depending on who you play.

Oh yeah that too forgot to mention that.. You could even Ultra between the hits with Viper..

lawblob said:
I never touch charge players, I had a hard time with them as a kid in SF2, since then I avoided them. But maybe nows the time to reconsider, it would be cool learning to use Blanka.

Yeah man. Learn someone new. All the characters seem really solid, and a lot of them I would have never touched way back when...but they all have some mean games if you look around.

Also, at my gym no one really talks about games, but when I mention SF IV you see people who haven't played in ages go "How is it? Is it good?" and then recount memories of past. Its really cool that SFIV is out and is so good.

Calibur

For 2 days now on my Ps3, I cant seem on the Network Battle Mode to get on any ranked match servers, I can only get ranked match battle through arcade mode requests is anyone else having this problem in the UK?

Is this a capcom or sony issue?

LiK

lawblob said:

Blanka rules! i mainly use Charge attacks to put players on the defensive. altho SFIV's Blanka seems slower to me.

Barrett2

Biff Hardbody said:
Also, at my gym no one really talks about games, but when I mention SF IV you see people who haven't played in ages go "How is it? Is it good?" and then recount memories of past. Its really cool that SFIV is out and is so good.

I had a friend over the other day who doesn't play many games, has a Wii but rarely uses it. He went nuts over SF4 and wants to get together this week to play again. This game definitely hits the nostalgia button for people. Pretty cool.

Threi

notag
haunts said:
Well its obviously not unblockable, just block the opposite way. and block the following crouching jabs/shorts and just watch out for the throw.

Against guiles FK, its 20 frames between the first hit and second hit so theoretically you could do EX Siesmo between the first and second hit...but I usually just block both hits..
what about a focus attack?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So Haunts, aside from reading your guides (at work atm), in what ways can a good Ken stand out from the pack?

protip: some of you probably need to practice your counters to specific characters moves? Well step right up!

you can go to the training mode and control the dummy. you can then "record" any moves you do while controlling the dummy, then press play and resume control of your character. the "playback" will loop!

So if you want to practice countering shoryuken's, you can simply go to training...pick your character...pick Ken/Ryu/whoever...take control of Ken/Ryu and throw a fireball while recording...then select "play" and resume using your character. he will throw that fireball until you disable that playback.

It was actually a feature I listed in my mind as features I'd like to have in the game. I had no idea it was actually there! :lol

lawblob said:
I had a friend over the other day who doesn't play many games, has a Wii but rarely uses it. He went nuts over SF4 and wants to get together this week to play again. This game definitely hits the nostalgia button for people. Pretty cool.

I sent you an invite on psn. Name is neversaydie13

Nightz

lawblob said:
Yeah I had a hard time with charge characters back then too, but I really tried to learn them with HD Remix. Now I'm using Honda as my main and I'm loving it.
Dan is my second >_>

It's always good to learn something new, just to diversify your game and to understand how those characters work. Even if you don't use them much, just having the knowledge helps a lot when you go up against them.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:
So Haunts, aside from reading your guides (at work atm), in what ways can a good Ken stand out from the pack?

Well, all the bad Kens use the same shit all the Ryus, Akumas and even Dans do, which is just DP and sweeps. Ken has a bunch of other moves to use, so Id say just experiment and see what works for you, the key is to mix things up so that you dont become predictable (which is why so many Kens fail, yes I know you love the flaming punch, get over it son!)

Also, challenge mode helps :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
LiK said:
Blanka rules! i mainly use Charge attacks to put players on the defensive. altho SFIV's Blanka seems slower to me.
That but also charge characters have the benefit of making me play more defensive. Playing the other characters, I usually just end up playing a rushdown style (leading to my demise).

Still, I haven't given up on Viper. :D

Dreams-Visions said:
protip: some of you probably need to practice your counters to specific characters moves? Well step right up!

you can go to the training mode and control the dummy. you can then "record" any moves you do while controlling the dummy, then press play and resume control of your character. the "playback" will loop!

So if you want to practice countering shoryuken's, you can simply go to training...pick your character...pick Ken/Ryu/whoever...take control of Ken/Ryu and throw a fireball while recording...then select "play" and resume using your character. he will throw that fireball until you disable that playback.

It was actually a feature I listed in my mind as features I'd like to have in the game. I had no idea it was actually there! :lol

Fuck really???? Holy shit, anti air practice now. THANK YOU.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Chamber said:
Started messing around with charge characters today and I'm finding Vega really fun though I'm certain I couldn't yet be effective with him.
EX Walljump is your friend. Knocks your opponent into the air and sets 'em up for an easy Izuna Drop.

haunts said:

Oh yeah that too forgot to mention that.. You could even Ultra between the hits with Viper..
thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I'm still getting use to adding FA to my style.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kintaro said:

Jumping LK beats dragon punches, so if you're going to jump in at a shoto use that, not like RH.

F+MK is an awesome poke that moves you forward. On counter hit, afaik you can combo into c.mk into fireball or whatever so jsut do the c.mk after the F+MK regardless.

Pressure with c. jabs, look for the combo, if the block work in a kara throw or mix up a c.mk into ex hurricane. also if they block just jump over with a cross up MK and rinse and repeat.

You can do an air EX hurricane after another shoto throws a fireball, it will hit them and you can combo into ultra. no lie.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I was in practice mode last night and it seem you can get out a lp command grab after it. However that might not work in a match given I'm guessing you end up on a disadvantage.

you get 2 hits? whenever i try to combo with it I eat an attack because of how slow the move is.

Nightz

Dreams-Visions said:

Oh crap thanks for that info!

Struct09

Dreams-Visions said:

It would be awesome if you could share recorded moves with other people for training purposes.

bdizzle said:
you get 2 hits? whenever i try to combo with it I eat an attack because of how slow the move is.

No, you only get one hit on it and you're unsafe as hell (I just got SPDed after a roundhouse version of it, I wasn't even able to jump) but you're the right distance to pull off the throw, though that's useless now I've tested it unless your opponent likes standing still...

Spirit of Jazz said:
No, you only get one hit on it and you're unsafe as hell (I just got SPDed after a roundhouse version of it, I wasn't even able to jump) but you're the right distance to pull off the throw, though that's useless now I've tested it unless your opponent likes standing still...

yeah that's what i figured, if you're too close you'll get punished after it hits. if you miss you'll get punished, and if u barely hit you're too far away to link it to another combo.

Barrett2

Biff Hardbody said:
I sent you an invite on psn. Name is neversaydie13

Cool, i'll add you tonight and we can brawl it out!

For now, I have to figure out how to salvage this train-wreck of a rough draft research paper I am supposed to turn in shortly. -_-

ShinAmano

LiK said:
anyone tried out Gouken online? he was fun to play in Arcade mode. definitely a great addition to the series.
I have had him a couple of times...he murders the inexperienced crowd and does pretty well against the rest. Overall he is by far the best new character...and when I say 'by far' it is not even close.

LiK

ShinAmano said:
I have had him a couple of times...he murders the inexperienced crowd and does pretty well against the rest. Overall he is by far the best new character...and when I say 'by far' it is not even close.

yea, i think i'll try and practice with him more. i'm curious if his fireball can stop Zangief Lariats cuz it goes up an angle instead.

while playing Xabi online last week, I did a jumping-in LK (butt) with Honda and it snuffed Guile's Flash Kick

we were like what?
tried again, it snuffed it again
tried agani, it snuffed the Flash Kick even again.

so, Honda players, jumping LK snuffs Flash Kicks muhahaha

Baker said:
Agreed.

Abel vs Zangief = Abel will win 9 times out of 10

Abel vs Blanka = Abel will lose 999 times out of 1000

I'm sure if someone played Blanka with varying styles, it would be different. However, all they have to do is spam forward rolls and electrocute on wake up. The only thing I've found is there is an exact sweet spot (around 2/3 the screen away) where the Wheel Kick will knock them out of electrocution.

yeah blanka's still my biggest challenge. i lost 118bp yesterday to a garbage ass blanka because i didn't know how to stop the blanka roll and electrocute. str8upaweome helped me in figuring out how to handle him, so now i'll only lose 998 times out of 1000 lol. standing/cr mp will knockout a blank roll. even ex rolls. and cr. Lk will stop an electricute from close (cr. rh works from really far). i have to use a totally different strategy against blanka. no up close game like i usually do.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I've been using that feature to increase my speed in pulling off spinning back fists, EX spiral arrows and hooligan combos.

How do you even start a Hooligan Combo? That stuff came up on Cammy's trials and I just shrugged and moved on to another character.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Shig said:
EX Walljump is your friend. Knocks your opponent into the air and sets 'em up for an easy Izuna Drop.
Dizzy-4U said:
You can punish a cross up with it too. You can't cross up Vega if he has EX meter.
Going to try this tonight. Thanks for the tips.

SRK said:
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
UGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

ShinAmano said:

Lord Abel disagrees...

gouken is fun though. I played someone and did the throw>ultra....and totally missed. it was hilarious lol.

ultim8p00

Banned
Arcade AI = throws throws throws throws throws throws

Is it just me? All the characters seem to be spamming throws over and over, especially Abel, Honda and Seth

LiK

ultim8p00 said:
Arcade AI = throws throws throws throws throws throws

Is it just me? All the characters seem to be spamming throws over and over, especially Abel, Honda and Seth

Zangief is the worst of them all. the AI doesn't know what else to do. so annoying.

I hated this game so much last night. Played for about 5 hours and probably lost 60% of my matches. Ken Fighter Online was not treating me very nicely.

On my last match I was kind of out of it. Played some guy called "Ryon King" on XBL. Best of 5 match and I quickly drop the first two, though the first one should have been mine (I'm really trerrible at qcf to the left). But somehow I manage to string together a 3 round comeback full of supers and ultras against this guy. I was hysterical by the end, knowing that if I lost I would punch a wall and that if I won I would go crazy and punch a wall. Anyway, the point is I pulled it off and I was reminded of why this game is so fun and unpredictable :D

EDIT: Oh and here's hoping Capcom will add some kind of recording feature ala DOA4. Shouldn't be too hard to add right? Though I will difintely be pissed off if it's only in some turbo hyper mega alpha addition =\

Top Bottom