• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Jirotrom

Ferrio said:
Yep.

Do headbutt by db->ub+Punch. Then do the kick version of the ultra. Let go of the buttons, let the second hit miss, then hold down the kicks again for the rest of the hits.
thanks! I was wondering why when I pulled this on my buddy yesterday not all the hits were connecting.

Well I finally got my copy delivered from Amazon.ca today and I've put in a bit of time with it. I've run through the Arcade mode and the normal Challenge levels of a handful of characters, and I definitely can tell I need plenty of work.

The Challenge mode is a lot tougher than I had imagined, it's disappointing that they didn't implement any way to teach the combos and moves rather than just challenge you to do them. I could get through the first three normal tiers with Ryu, Ken, Dan and Guile, but I actually got stuck on that 3rd tier with both Sakura and Abel. The timing on some of the combos is just guess work at this point. Heck, on Abel I was stuck on a combo with two moves, started with a focus attack and then simply a crouching punch or something like that. I tried timing at every point in the focus attack but couldn't get it.

Anyway, outside of the challenge mode, I love the style of the game. The graphical style and music (even the VS screen) really mix well together, and the game doesn't take itself too seriously which I enjoy. I haven't tried online yet, I haven't purchased a Street Fighter game since Street Fighter II on the SNES after all (well, Hyper Fighting on XBLA but I didn't play it much).

I've already enjoyed the little time I've put into this game much more than the time I put in to the 3D fighters we've had this generation (DoA4, SC4). I'll be able to put in a lot more time tonight so I'll get the opportunity to get online and give that a go.

At the moment I've really liked Guile and Abel in terms of trying to pick a main guy to go with. Though of course I haven't unlocked everyone yet, but those are my top picks at the moment.

ShinAmano

DigitalA1chemy said:
I found one and started to buy until I saw how much it was and put it back. I don't care about the lame console skin, I just want the faceplate.
Yeah my thoughts exactly...also disappointed that it does not include all the characters...only wanted the plate as well.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SoulFist said:
In the strategy guide, they talk about Balrog being able to combo into his Ultra from a Headbutt, is this true? I've tried it and it never works for me.

This is what im saying.. all this stuff is in the guide.. Im all for asking questions but i swear if you read over a character you're interested in you'll learn all the the basic to intermediate stuff like this.. :D

Ferrio

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Rose doesn't have a good wake up option. EX soul spiral in a pinch, I guess. You jabbed me out of that with boxer, though.

We should have a Rose v Rose fight. Maybe we can reflect all day... good fun.

Nightz

Kadey said:
Guys. When in online matches. What does the faces represent? Like red mad, etc?
You mean the ones in the lobbies, before the character select? I think those are just avatars to show off your mood.

Zeliard

_dementia said:
charge downback -> upback for headbutt

this retains the back charge to start the Ultra

then you really appreciate a square fucking gate

The biggest reason I still haven't gotten a stick is that Balrog is my main and a stick isn't as critical for charge characters like him as it is for most others. I know getting a stick with an octagonal gate would just fuck me up with him.

Jirotrom said:
have you added what all the wake up attacks are... Im not sure balrogs is his headbut.

The buffalo headbutt works well as a wake-up against most players and characters. You can even whiff it on purpose to set something else up, or whiff it on purpose a few times to make the other guy think you're gonna headbutt on wake-up everytime regardless, and then set it up so you don't.

Ferrio

Banned
Kadey said:

Green - Sick to the stomach
Blue - Sad panda
Red - Just ate some good chilli
Pink - Likes you in a sorta homosexual way
Yellow - A glitch, suppose to be purple.

LiK said:
o ok, btw, i need to reword my comment.

i mean i didn't play through all the characters before facing Akuma and Gouken. sorry about that. i unlocked all the 6 guys first. :)
Oh damn you got me before my edit! I'm actually not sure if I did unlock them at 30 seconds. So you may be right about that.

nubbe

Played some ranked matches for 3 hours... only saw 1 Cammy and 1 Able. The rest were you ... know
Such a big cast goingto waste :p

[Nintex]

Kadey said:
Angry = gamer with Ken flowchart on his lap
Happy = I don't know what these do
Wink = I'm actually quite friendly, untill I hadouken your ass from 10 feet away

Zeliard

SoulFist said:
Holy crap, that is amazing. You guy's rock.

If you get used to charging with Balrog by holding on down+back, you can also always have both a dash punch (of any sort) and a buffalo headbutt ready to unleash at any given time.

Remember, Balrog's Super and Ultra will be Uppercuts instead of Straights when you hold down KICK buttons
useful for juggling success after a Headbutt.

Hold K for the first hit to be an upper,
release K for the 2nd hit to be a straight
then hold K again for the 3rd and 4th to be upper

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
100% confirmed tomorrow im getting SF IV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Kitten-Pictures-48.jpg

TimeKillr

FourSerioux said:
The Challenge mode is a lot tougher than I had imagined, it's disappointing that they didn't implement any way to teach the combos and moves rather than just challenge you to do them. I could get through the first three normal tiers with Ryu, Ken, Dan and Guile, but I actually got stuck on that 3rd tier with both Sakura and Abel. The timing on some of the combos is just guess work at this point. Heck, on Abel I was stuck on a combo with two moves, started with a focus attack and then simply a crouching punch or something like that. I tried timing at every point in the focus attack but couldn't get it.

Do a Focus Attack level 3, then dash forward as soon as the attack hits. The do crouching fierce.

It's a VERY important part in Abel's advanced combos, so you better master it soon :)

TimeKillr said:
Do a Focus Attack level 3, then dash forward as soon as the attack hits. The do crouching fierce.

It's a VERY important part in Abel's advanced combos, so you better master it soon :)

cheers for this :D

bloody dash

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jirotrom said:
copy and paste the quote
For serious :lol

SRK never works.

dfyb

Banned
friend on aim:
4:08:25 PM: i cant play on live anymore
4:08:30 PM: people have to be spoofing this
4:08:39 PM: ive played 6 or 7 matches
4:08:47 PM: all of them were people connecting at all green
4:08:55 PM: then picking sagat
4:09:05 PM: then when the game started it started lagging unbearably

anybody else experience this on Live?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
"Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCsyntax View Post
Easy way to avoid disconnects.

SUPAH FAST RUSH DOWN. (I play cammy so I'm always all up in people's faces...maybe that's why people can't drop on me; if they pause they'll be dead before they get to quit)"

You're not playing good ragequitters then! Your average high-level ragequitter can pull out his ethernet cord in less than five frames.
shoryuken quote.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dreams-Visions said:
Person1 said:
"Easy way to avoid disconnects.

SUPAH FAST RUSH DOWN. (I play cammy so I'm always all up in people's faces...maybe that's why people can't drop on me; if they pause they'll be dead before they get to quit)"
Person2 said:
"You're not playing good ragequitters then! Your average high-level ragequitter can pull out his ethernet cord in less than five frames."

Quote.

Zeliard

ultim8p00 said:
Isn't it like a punch or kick and a throw seamlessly blended together or something?

A kara throw is when you cancel another move into a throw, which naturally extends the throw's range.

I know Vega (Claw) and Ken can do it in SF4.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I have the day off and have nothing better to do so I started watching the SFIV movie that came with my CE. Something tells me doing nothing might be a better use of my time.

Won

Man, the trials are just discouraging. Not being able to pull of some of the basic stuff really makes me stop playing some of the characters. I'm too weak. :(

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Won said:
Man, the trials are just discouraging. Not being able to pull of some of the basic stuff really makes me stop playing some of the characters. I'm too weak. :(
some suck because you can tell a lot of moves neeeeeeeeeed a stick.

sagats fake kick

vipers fakes, her super jump with the dpad is just UGH

Won said:
no no! keep at it, but in Training mode instead of trial.
you don't need to learn all the long links for your character, I dont even use the redonculous ones at all

why would I do a LP, LK chains when a MK does more damage and is also cancelable and more reliable with more range (concerning my characters)

seriously, when playing in the heat of a fight and you have an opening, .. will you go fancy and jibby jabber links? or will you go fo the sure guaranteed damage, normal cancel into special pooooff more damage than those jibby jabby lights would offer

LiK

shit, almost got 5 wins in a row and some Ken scrub killed me by spamming fireballs. ah well, i'm quite comfy with my Blanka. i wish he was faster ;_;

anyone see me on?

gutter_trash said:
no no! keep at it, but in Training mode instead of trial.
you don't need to learn all the long links for your character, I dont even use the redonculous ones at all

why would I do a LP, LK chains when a MK does more damage and is also cancelable and more reliable with more range (concerning my characters)

seriously, when playing in the heat of a fight and you have an opening, .. will you go fancy and jibby jabber links? or will you go fo the sure guaranteed damage, normal cancel into special pooooff more damage than those jibby jabby lights would offer

:lol
Don't listen to this guy.

though he's technically 99% correct as long as you're fine with below-intermediate play

If for some reason you guys play random matches and pitted against DMPrince and I pick Ryu or akuma. It's not me but my brothers :lol

I want to stab my eyes with a fork watching them play. I don't think i'll see my BP go over 1000 let alone 500 :lol

Zeliard

J. M. Romeo said:
So, what's the deal with that Championship patch? Just a rumor or something we should be looking forward soon to fix some things with the online?

It's definitely coming out.

The feature it's bringing that I'm probably looking forward to most is the record/download/replay matches feature.

Top Bottom