• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

JSnake

Total SF noob here. Just went online for my first online match and I WON!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D :D :D Really close game!

I love this game! So satisfying! Exclamation mark!!!!!!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Chamber said:
Anyone who wants to play scrubby versions of Dictator, Guile, Claw and whatever other character I decide to main today can hit me up on PSN.

Tag: Novuscaine
I've decided whatever other character is now Chun Li. :D

h3ro

So I just played my first online matches after spending 15+ hours playing Arcade and Training... THIS GAME IS STRAIGHT CRACK.

Sure, I went 3-8, and had to use Sagat to get my wins, but damn that was awesome. :lol
After I was done with ranked (tired of losing my precious few BP), I set up a private room and played like ten matches with a random dude, with each of us picking characters we don't usually use. Love it. :D

Barrett2

Chamber said:
Were you playing with Akuma?

Abel.

I am in a weird spot with Abel. I come close to winning a lot of ranked matches with him, but I can never close the deal. Even against dudes with 1,000+ BP, I will win a round, and get his health down in the other rounds, but I just can't finish anyone.

I need to take the time to use Haunt's guide for combo training. Until I learn some more substantive combos and defensive postures, i'll keep getting smacked down.

Barrett2

One bit of "good" news, I got my first rage quitter! A Zangief playing like a cheap bastard. I responded by doing wheel kick > jump away > wheel kick > jump away... He dropped connection right before I finished him. Pussy.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
lawblob said:
Thats because you accidentally put DOA in your machine. Take it out and put in SF4. :D
Seriously though, it was weird. Fought Viper, Honda, Blanka, Zangief, Rose, etc. Shit, I didn't fight a single shoto at all.

Zertez

Stitch said:
so i've traded in some old stuff at gamestop and it actually was only enough for the normal version but they gave me the collectors edition :D

and i just wanted to tell you that i HATE seth. that's all. ^^ easiest setting my ass...
You can leg sweep him the whole fight on easiest. It is cheesy, but it works if you are just wanting to unlock characters.

usea

Wow I beat a Sakura player in a ranked match and apparently they had 2000 bp! Up to then all my opponents were below 600.

vesp

any cammy players have any advice for matchup vs a turtling guile? Flash kick seems to beat all spinning backfists, beats or trades with dive kicks, and blocked spiral arrow leaves in perfect range for the flash kick. Havent really experimented much with EX Hooligan, but otherwise I'm pretty stumped on how to pressure him if he wont take any actions of his own.

alterno69

Banned
What the fuck does SHOTO means, i mean i know what you mean when you say it but why SHOTO. It's funny cause in my town, Villahermosa Tabasco Mexico shoto is a popular slang with lots of meanings.

It can be used in a derogatory(sp?) way towards gay people, like, that guy is "shotisimo/shoto"( ese wey es shotisimo) lol, it's also used like people in the US would use the word dude, what's up shoto(que onda shoto), or in a similar fashion to the word fuck in "fuck no" or "no fucking way", instead you'd say, ola shoto lol.

h3ro

alterno69 said:
What the fuck does SHOTO means, i mean i know what you mean when you say it but why SHOTO. It's funny cause in my town, Villahermosa Tabasco Mexico shoto is a popular slang with lots of meanings.

It can be used in a derogatory(sp?) way towards gay people, like, that guy is "shotisimo/shoto"( ese wey es shotisimo) lol, it's also used like people in the US would use the word dude, what's up shoto(que onda shoto), or in a similar fashion to the word fuck in "fuck no" or "no fucking way", instead you'd say, ola shoto lol.

The martial arts type used by Ken, Ryu, Akuma and Gouken is called Shotokan... Shoto for short...

usea

alterno69 said:

Capcom USA calls the martial arts style of ken, ryu, etc Shotokan.

Guled

vesp said:
any cammy players have any advice for matchup vs a turtling guile? Flash kick seems to beat all spinning backfists, beats or trades with dive kicks, and blocked spiral arrow leaves in perfect range for the flash kick. Havent really experimented much with EX Hooligan, but otherwise I'm pretty stumped on how to pressure him if he wont take any actions of his own.
don't even try hooligan, it won't work against crouching guys, I would say just turtle your self and wait for him to come to you

Brannon

Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Gouken are from the Shotokan school of martial arts.

Dan is from the Saikyo and Sakura?... well she's her own gal.

usea

Guled said:
don't even try hooligan, it won't work against crouching guys, I would say just turtle your self and wait for him to come to you
Trying to out-turtle a turtler doesn't sound like a good strategy if they have projectiles and you don't. Just saying.

Xevren

Yea I dont see how you can out turtle Guile. Cammy seems pretty hurt to me in this game, especially considering how unsafe her cannon drill or whatever the hell its called is now.

h3ro

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think its a Capcom USA name so its not exactly canon.

Balrog punched one of Dhalsim's friend's elephants in the face and killed him. That's why they're enemies. This is canon.

arstal said:
low kicks?

Without meter- sweep maybe
with meter, low shorts into EX lightning legs into ultra?

fireball?

Thanks for that. Kikoken, I knew about, but I was looking for close range options. cr.lk & cr.mk work really damn well, but I'll settle on cr.mp as my goto normal. I had to use two controllers by myself to test it, but it has the best range for me. cr.Fk works sometimes, but the distances are a little too precise for me to gauge against an online Blanka. I'll definitely use low shorts into EX Legs when I have meter, though.

Matches against Blanks usually leave me so dizzy that I don't know what to do. Feels like a dumb question in retrospect, but I got so used to headstomps :lol

Guled

usea said:
Trying to out-turtle a turtler doesn't sound like a good strategy if they have projectiles and you don't. Just saying.
I was assuming that he meant a guile that is just crouching waiting for you to come to him. if he dose throw a projectile then can't she just use the spin knuckle since he shouldn't have enough time to charge a flash kick?
I don't play as charge characters so I'm not really sure

y2dvd

C. Viper's Hard Challenge Level 2 is the hardest challenge by far. Shit took me 45 minutes to do!

Focus Attack, dash, cr hp, qcb+p cancel, ultra. Looks like the easier ones but not only does this requires perfect timing, it also requires a crapload of motions and button pressing.

I'm really liking the way C. Viper feels. I might switch over from Ken since he gets plenty of play already. :lol

My connection's been sh*t tonight... hosted one laggy match that got disconnected, and red or no bars everywhere else.

EDIT: I'll try again later tonight... fought my way through one more super-laggy match and that's enough.

vesp said:

I faced this last night. So incredibly annoying. They stay in crouch guarding position so Spiral Arrows don't hit. If you decide to turtle as well then they'll chip you down with Sonic Booms. I'm not sure Hooligan would help much in this situation either. So I'm kinda stumped as well. Would Canon Strike be of any help in this situation?

Rektash

The more I play Sakura the more I think she is more low then mid tier. She has HORRIBLE matchups and not few of them. Balrog ? Blanka ? Honda ? Gief ? Seriously I start to think about changing my main :-/

I just tried Sagat for some matches and holy fucking mother of god - you don t need to do anything to dish out dmg like crazy ...

myDingling said:
I faced this last night. So incredibly annoying. They stay in crouch guarding position so Spiral Arrows don't hit. If you decide to turtle as well then they'll chip you down with Sonic Booms. I'm not sure Hooligan would help much in this situation either. So I'm kinda stumped as well. Would Canon Strike be of any help in this situation?

I probably won't have time to check tonight but you'd have to check if any of Cammy's aerials have priority over Guile's Flash Kick so you can jump in.

EDIT: My guess is EX dive kick will be Cammy's saving grace against turtles.

LowParry

Ugh. How frustrating. I'm focusing on two characters for now. Sakura and Boxer. I tend to have my play times end like this.

Boxer: 25 - 3
Sakura: 2 - 10

I might add a third into the mix. Haven't decided yet who. I'm looking between Guile, Cammy or Rufus. Decisions decisions.

TimeKillr

iam220 said:
who's up for a player match on psn? I'm halfway between scrub and decent. Got about an hour to duke it out. PSN: iam220.

Anyone?

Good games man. I'd say you're more decent than halfway :) Baiting didn't really work on you and some of the usual scrub tricks didn't work either. Keep at it!

TimeKillr

Xevren said:
Yea I dont see how you can out turtle Guile. Cammy seems pretty hurt to me in this game, especially considering how unsafe her cannon drill or whatever the hell its called is now.

Usually a very good strategy against Guile is to be hella aggressive, find a way to continually make him switch sides and throw a lot.

If he switches sides, he loses his charge. If you're aggressive, forcing him to block high, he loses his flash kick charge as well. It's all about shutting down his moves (although his flash kick is MUCH less impressive in SF4...)

Zeliard

TimeKillr said:
Usually a very good strategy against Guile is to be hella aggressive, find a way to continually make him switch sides and throw a lot.

If he switches sides, he loses his charge. If you're aggressive, forcing him to block high, he loses his flash kick charge as well. It's all about shutting down his moves (although his flash kick is MUCH less impressive in SF4...)

I also don't think Guile's able to launch a sonic boom while keeping a down charge ready for the flash kick, but I could be wrong about that.

TimeKillr said:

Thats because he only used his Sonic Boom once he hit the big time and got a TV show.

Zeliard said:
I also don't think Guile's able to launch a sonic boom while keeping a down charge ready for the flash kick, but I could be wrong about that.

You are.

ukiraros

George Claw M.D. said:
I didn't see this posted, yet, but it's the most comprehensive list I've found, so far, of all the titles and icons you can earn, and how to earn them. All titles and icons are listed, though some of them have ??? on the methods to earn them, namely the titles that require a certain number of online matches to be played.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126711

Ah, 2 trophies that will prevent me from getting a platinum.

Thanks for posting that info.

Zeliard

Xevren said:
You would be wrong indeed.

I don't use Guile, so I was going on what somebody else had posted in another SFIV thread here:

ChennehCis said:
Unfortunately, the sonic boom example does not work. You NEED to press forward to do the sonic boom (consequently, releasing the charge for flash kick).

However, you can keep the charge for a sonic boom, after performing a flash kick using up/back

ChennehCis said:
I wouldn't think so, Guile was never able to Sonic Boom at the down/forward position. The reason for this is probably because if he COULD SB using d/f and keeping charge for flash kick, he would be near invincible outside of sweep range.

He could constantly rain SBs on the opponent and if the opponent ever jumped forward, he could flash kick instantly (because he always has charge for flash kick). This combined with SB's fast recovery, it would basically be impossible to jump in on him.

Fortunately, this is not the case, which is why it is OK to jump at Guile after he throws a Sonic boom because he doesn't have charge for Flash kick. That said, he has other Anti-Air options (normal moves or jumping back and reseting the situation)

Abel is broken when the computer uses him.

He's killing the Survival Mode for me. His command throw beats everything.

I was Balrog, smashed right through him like he was invisibe, then he grabs me. Some of the animations/moves in this game are more broken than any fighting game I've ever played.

Dan's Ultra is another example. I jump above him when he does it with a dragon punch. Next moment I'm getting smacked in the face. NOTHING MATCHES UP IN THIS GAME SOMETIMES. They really really really really need to fix this in the next game. I'm seeing more and more of it as I cross 300 games played online.

Zeliard said:
I don't use Guile, so I was going on what somebody else had posted in another SFIV thread here:

Oh shit. I read it incorrectly. I thought you were saying he couldn't charge both at the same time. Sorry. Long day at work. Just barely leaving.

Xevren

Zeliard said:

I think I must have misinterpreted what you were saying, yea you cant charge your flash kick AFTER you launched a SB, but if you threw a SB you werent really intending to use your kick anyway. I still dont see Cammy being a good match up against Guile, even being overly aggressive you're going to have to hope Guile makes mistakes.

Top Bottom