• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

-PXG-

Assembly Required said:
..Congrats!? Question: Is this your FIRST online victory? or just having a bad luck run?

First ranked victory. And just lost to a fucking Akuma how has nearly 700 points. God damnit.

Just got it today - no Arcade Stick yet, though. And I agree - first impressions are very, very lovely. The presentation is top notch, the gameplay is pure SF gold, and the music is - well - passable. :D

Can't wait to get my hands on the arcade stick, though. I'm gonna be a bit gimped 'til then.

LiK said:
yea, definitely. altho i need to practice his ultra combo more. everytyime i use it, it knocks the dude into the air so the second half misses them completely. kinda useless for me so far in online play.

ps3 or 360? i need some blank comp!!!

Coverly

Got the female costume pack yesterday and it looks like it was just a key to unlock content on a dvd that I already own? I know this probably has been argued to death already on this thread but it's a surprise to me. I did like that all the colors were available to you for that alternate costume, very nice.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
BenjaminBirdie said:
It was so fucking hilarious for some reason. Anyway. I'm grateful for a game that is fun on all levels of play, not just the high ones. I enjoyed DOA4, but it was never as thrilling to play as SF4. And it's balanced in such a way that as long as I play against someone around my skill level, I can always at least do a fair amount of damage even if I lose. Which means I'm rarely ever frustrated. Which is a new sensation for me in fighting games.

I love it.

I know why people get hella mad and I understand why, I do, but honestly I find myself laughing at this game like nonstop when I play at home.. its so damn goofy half the time and getting hit or doing dumb shit is just so funny for some reason.

Aw man, I got to 176BP and now I've lost ALL OF IT.

Can someone please tell me how to get out of being constantly shoryuken'd/leg swiped after being backed into a corner?

Coverly said:
Got the female costume pack yesterday and it looks like it was just a key to unlock content on a dvd that I already own? I know this probably has been argued to death already on this thread but it's a surprise to me. I did like that all the colors were available to you for that alternate costume, very nice.

yeah they're already on there....dlc is here to stay. accept it and life will be that much easier
to end

_dementia said:
It's really fun catching your opponent with EX Shinkyaku and chatching them on the way down with Ultra

I really need to get the timing down on that combination. EX Shinkyaku > mid air Sakura Otoshi.. really awesome if you manage to pull if off.

Chorazin

diffusionx said:
It's cool but I still like HDR more, I think. And I'm still waiting for BlazBlue.

And yes it would be awesome if more people installed their game on PS3.

Not to go off topic, but did they announce a platform for BlazBlue yet?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haunts said:
So it's been over a week now.. what do you guys think?

A very fun SF with requisite layers of depth but too sluggish for my tastes overall. Backgrounds mostly kinda suck too. Still gonna play the shit out of it though.

When I first got the game, I picked Abel and played through a match or two before I slammed right into C. Viper. I have never been so angry at a game before.

Over the last two days, I'd been just messing around in training with Abel's combos. This, for hours on end, got a bit boring, so I decided to head back to arcade mode. My first three fights went as smoothly as they should. Then Viper showed up again. I almost quit out, just to prevent the inevitable frustration, but I thought, "Hey, I haven't played her since our first encounter." And then I sent her flying like a baby through a windshield. First round perfect, and turned the second around with an ultra. It was the most rewarding videogame experience ever.

Baloonatic said:

Can someone please tell me how to get out of being constantly shoryuken'd/leg swiped after being backed into a corner?

Least risky would just be to throw when they land from the SRK (assuming you have blocked it).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:
As for how I feel about the game: I dig it. Alot. Game feels good when you get used to it (it's been ten years since the last one, of course it'll feel different) and the new characters are all worthy additions. It's fun to play and rewarding to learn. I'm sure if you're a nitpicky "pro" or whatever, you'll find some things wrong and the game will be tightened up through iterations. They always are.

Things I wish were improved upon are kind of simple. Capcom should have thought about some of the lobby options players seemed to have gotten used to as well as some other things. to be honest, given the poor track records of the Japanese and online performance, this game performs very well. My other complaint is the regression to awkward super/ultra move inputs. SFIII had it right. Simply the motions. No more stupid charge motion supers because you give these characters a distinct disadvantage in certain aspects of the game which could be easily corrected by changing the input. Also, they could have added more new characters. After 10 years, all we get are five (fuck Seth)? Kind of weak.

Overall though, I'm quite pleased.

6 if you include Gouken!

Overall I agree, I think this game in one aspect has the best online of all time since I thought it would be impossible for me to eve replay a Street Fighter game without lag. That is a tremendous achievement that cant be overlooked, better lobby options would be nice though, but at least they got the most important part right.

As far as the lack of new characters, while I support the new rather than the old in theory, I understand it here. This wasn't so much a sequel as much as it was reintroducing the brand to the world, so the return of the classics makes sense to me. Capcom went all new with SF III and got burned for it, so they went with an approach more similar to the alpha games in terms of character selection (mostly old characters,. some regurgitated, some new)

My biggest complaint is the music selection, I wish I had the option to choose what music plays when since its nigh impossible to hear a characters theme in versus, you always get the stages theme instead.

Amazing game though, I can tell its going to become my most played SF. Looking forward to the revisions and the rebirth of the Capcom Fighter Machine:)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
As I read here, Seth was glitching on me and going into crazy Hardest mode while I tried to casually unlock people on Easiest.

Another playthrough had Sagat go crazy and say 'yeah right' to my Easiest setting.

-PXG-

I chose STABILITY just now. I just got fucking prison shower ass raped. My ass is cavernous hole of flesh, spewing a torrent of blood right now.....Ugghh....

Dude had like 1700 BP. That Ken was pulling of some crazy ass shit:

Air tatsu -> M SRK -> H SRK

O____O

I put my controller down and just let him win half way through the third round.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
You guys may not like that I play Sagat but I can say that ive only played Ken a handful of times in the 6 months ive been playing this game.. :lol

-PXG- said:
I chose STABILITY just now. I just got fucking prison shower ass raped. My ass is cavernous hole of flesh, spewing a torrent of blood right now.....Ugghh....

O____O

what? thats a wack combo.. lol..

diffusionx

Gold Member
bob_arctor said:
A very fun SF with requisite layers of depth but too sluggish for my tastes overall. Backgrounds mostly kinda suck too. Still gonna play the shit out of it though.

That's true, backgrounds are mostly lame, aside from crowded downtown. Sure a lot of them have "funny" details if you pay attention but how often does that happen. Capcom for SF4:CE (and there will be one) redo a lot of these please.

-PXG-

haunts said:
You guys may not like that I play Sagat but I can say that ive only played Ken a handful of times in the 6 months ive been playing this game.. :lol

what? thats a wack combo.. lol..

Yeah. After that, I put the controller down and just accepted the rape.

haunts said:
So it's been over a week now.. what do you guys think? I had to take a break last night becuase Ive been playing the game entirely too much.. :lol

It's my favorite traditional fighting game since Alpha 2, and naturally it's a much more balanced game than that one. Hard to compare the non-traditional ones that I've enjoyed (Smash, No Mercy/DJFFNY, KOCII/Fire Pro) so I won't try. One of the few games this gen I feel is really worth $60.

Raging Spaniard said:
My biggest complaint is the music selection, I wish I had the option to choose what music plays when since its nigh impossible to hear a characters theme in versus, you always get the stages theme instead.

This is one hack I'm certain we'll be able to retrofit into the PC version one way or another, because I completely agree.

Baloonatic said:

Block and punish SRKs. New Ken players love the Fierce SRK. Just block, walk up to where they'll land and throw. They're still cooling down so they can't tech out of it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Top 20 Power Players from VersusCity

Check it out, it has the top rankings in Japan right now and guess what? Daigo's still at t he top. :lol

Even better, there is a list on the same page with longest win streaks... you have to take a look, if you think that 108 wins by that dude in the UK was a lot, the Japanese win streaks will blow your mind.. and thats against uhh.. real competition.

LiK

_dementia said:
Block and punish SRKs. New Ken players love the Fierce SRK. Just block, walk up to where they'll land and throw. They're still cooling down so they can't tech out of it.

i block then switch to HK and it usually gets them.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
-PXG- said:
First ranked victory. And just lost to a fucking Akuma how has nearly 700 points. God damnit.

I got my first one last night too, it was pretty awesome.

Funny thing is I went thru like 20 matches using all different characters but then I switch to blanka (my main back in the day) I get a win

Fucking finally.

Finally I am decent at anti airs and have been punishing scrubs online. After getting my ass kicked over and over by nothing but jump kicks and fireball/dragon punch spam it feels so rewarding. Holy shit, I aced Akuma, Ken, Ryu, Sagat, and others (Cammy/Rufus) who did nothing but heavy jump kicks. In many of my matches I did nothing but anti air as they repeatedly jumped into me, never learning, just hoping I'd miss the timing and they could hit me.

Once you can keep people off you, Dhalsim becomes soooooo fun. You can land HP, MK at will and tear them up with yoga fires,teleport/B-HP.

I'm not scrub proof yet, but I'm finally beating these guys consistently and its soooo rewarding.

PSN name: neversaydie13

Oh yeah, its my fave SF ever and its up there with VF5/SSII as my fave fighter ever.

MoxManiac

haunts said:

Check it out, it has the top rankings in Japan right now and guess what? Daigo's still at t he top. :lol

Even better, there is a list on the same page with longest win streaks... you have to take a look, if you think that 108 wins by that dude in the UK was a lot, the Japanese win streaks will blow your mind.. and thats against uhh.. real competition.

No Rufus players in top 20 :( :( :(

I've heard a rumor that SF4 console online in Japan is being dominated by Seth players. Is this true?

haunts said:

12. Dragonboy (Ryu) - 85,590
13. Dragonboy (Ken) - 79,081

That is pretty impressive.

Brannon

-PXG- said:

O____O

Okay then that didn't work. The system must be adjusting the players now that the break-in period is over. Very well.

A FOOLPROOF WAY of getting the low BP players you want is to pick matches that are set at 1 round instead of 3 or 5. They're full of people doing the same moves trying to pad their BP totals. Teach them a lesson. You'll have to go into custom games for it to get a better chance of picking the 1 rounders.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
6 if you include Gouken!

I was counting gouken. I wasn't coutning Seth. No one counts Seth. :D

As far as the lack of new characters, while I support the new rather than the old in theory, I understand it here. This wasn't so much a sequel as much as it was reintroducing the brand to the world, so the return of the classics makes sense to me. Capcom went all new with SF III and got burned for it, so they went with an approach more similar to the alpha games in terms of character selection (mostly old characters,. some regurgitated, some new)

I really didn't mean that they should have taken out the older characters. I just think they could have come up with more new characters. Brand new characters. I can understand the rebranding of the series or what have you (rebranding with "IV" in the title is odd to me though, but that's okay), but some more would have been appreciated. Hopefully more show up in later iterations.

I didn't want to mention stages/music since everyone groans when I do...but yes. They're pretty bland for the most part and the weak number of them is pathetic. Again, hoping for improvement going forward.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
-PXG- said:
Why do I keep on torturing myself?

I feel sorry for the people who still have you on friends list if you send these spammy whine messages to everyone on Live as well :lol

-PXG-

Brannon said:
Okay then that didn't work. The system must be adjusting the players now that the break-in period is over. Very well.

A FOOLPROOF WAY of getting the low BP players you want is to pick matches that are set at 1 round instead of 3 or 5. They're full of people doing the same moves trying to pad their BP totals. Teach them a lesson. You'll have to go into custom games for it to get a better chance of picking the 1 rounders.

Just fucked up a scrub Dhalsim.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:
I can understand the rebranding of the series or what have you (rebranding with "IV" in the title is odd to me though, but that's okay)

It works great for Street Fighter, I mean hell, nobody knew SF I, the franchise was "introduced" to the world with SF II :D

LiK

Raging Spaniard said:
It works great for Street Fighter, I mean hell, nobody knew SF I, the franchise was "introduced" to the world with SF II :D

i wonder if i'm one of the few guys here who actually played the SF1 arcade machine before SFII came out. i thought the ninja was so cool when i was a kid, hehe.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
LiK said:
most ultras were easy to block online for me. i blocked pretty much every single person's ultra last night. i guess a lot of dudes i played didn't know when to use them.

Ultras are meant to be combo-ed into. I shake my head when Kens and Ryus do random ultras out of nowhere. On the other hand, my jumping mp x2 -> ultra as Ryu will own you for free.

Kintaro

Raging Spaniard said:

Makes it all the more confusing to me why they choose to bring back characters from that game and pretty much completely ignore SF3 for playable characters. :lol

diffusionx said:
It's cool but I still like HDR more, I think. And I'm still waiting for BlazBlue.

And yes it would be awesome if more people installed their game on PS3.

Is BlazBlue def coming out in the US & Europe?

nib95

Banned
haunts said:

How on Earth does anyone get 170,000 BP so quick? Does he play around the clock every second of the day or what?

LiK

SnowWolf said:
Ultras are meant to be combo-ed into. I shake my head when Kens and Ryus do random ultras out of nowhere. On the other hand, my jumping mp x2 -> ultra as Ryu will own you for free.

yea, i think many people think they're replacements for supers or something. well, at least it makes it easy for me to avoid, huhu.

Kintaro

nib95 said:
How on Earth does anyone get 170,000 BP so quick? Does he play around the clock every second of the day or what?

Arcade. You'll notice it's tied to their character.

Top Bottom