• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

J. M. Romeo said:
The Femme Fatale DLC pack! It's not showing for me! Capcom doesn't want my money!

If you really want it, I believe it is up on the Japanese store (I assume you are talking about PS3). Otherwise, it should be up with the PSN update tomorrow elsewhere.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
prodystopian said:
If you really want it, I believe it is up on the Japanese store (I assume you are talking about PS3). Otherwise, it should be up with the PSN update tomorrow elsewhere.

I played against this guy who had the new white chun li outfit

I couldn't stop staring at chuns legs I lost so bad

LiK

ChrisGoldstein said:
Beating an akuma with blanka feels great.

I got the gamepad so I put LP on turbo, I just press the button once and it goes straight to the shock move.

If you press down forward and HP he does that slide move on the ground, it slides under hadukens.

I'm getting better slowly but I went back to blanka as my main cos that's who I used in sf2.

I am tired of nothing but akumas, that double fireball in the air pisses me off

hah, nice. i actually fought an Akuma yesterday (guess who won?) :) and yes, i agree, that Akuma user i played kept spamming fireballs to keep me away (both air and ground fireballs). very annoying. i finished him off with a EX roll and MP electric attack. ;D

-PXG-

It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time since I wanted to break a fucking controller. I can't win a single match. Plus, I'm playing people with 900+ BP. I have NONE! And yes, I set it to "SAME SKILL".

Barrett2

Halvie said:
think I am gonna take a break from this game for a bit....

*Busted Controller Pic*

:lol

Even though I wouldn't ever actually smash a controller, I have made the preliminary "windup motions" of throwing a controller more times with SF4 than I can ever remember.

Threi

notag
lawblob said:
:lol

Even though I wouldn't ever actually smash a controller, I have made the preliminary "windup motions" of throwing a controller more times with SF4 than I can ever remember.
I did it once already :(

good thing my futon is really close to the floor.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
came back from the bar and booted up some ranked matches with my man Guile last night:

-beating ken over and over again is glorious. they all play the same: jump in roundhouse -> sweep, srk on wake up, ultra on wake up, rinse, repeat. punishing whiffed srk's with EX flash kick may be the most satisfying thing ever.

-beating akuma over and over again is even more hilarious. it's the only time i play straight rushdown with guile and the kids don't stand a chance. not sure why everyone thinks they will catch me with their raging demon/ultra demon... jump back -> hard kick gets them 10 times out of 10.

-still have trouble with sagat:
*out-zones me A LOT, sonic booms have nothing on his tiger shots
*his damn tiger uppercut is beasty and crosses me up so i can't catch him with a flash kick.
*need to figure out a way to successfully turtle vs guy

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So it's been over a week now.. what do you guys think? I had to take a break last night becuase Ive been playing the game entirely too much.. :lol

dfyb said:
sagat just seems to take the cake. great anti air, amazing zoning, great damage, great defense. his ultra can land a hit on targets in the air or on the ground (and can be comboed). what's his disadvantage..?

I know im late to this response, but slow walking speed and relatively weak ground normals. His s. rh is great for anti air but his LK and LP is his only decent ground normal..

His Ultra will wiff when you hit it in the corner as well.

But yeah hes S+ for a reason.. still takes kill to play though imo..

Zapages

Last night, I pulled my ultra with Ryu after his/her ultra with E. Honda... My ultra went right through his ultra and I died... So it does not always work...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jon bones said:
-still have trouble with sagat:
*out-zones me A LOT, sonic booms have nothing on his tiger shots
*his damn tiger uppercut is beasty and crosses me up so i can't catch him with a flash kick.
*need to figure out a way to successfully turtle vs guy

weak flash kick, or df HK -> EX flash kick.

Zapages said:
Last night, I pulled my ultra with Ryu after his/her ultra with E. Honda... My ultra went right through his ultra and I died... So it does not always work...

well not when the other person's ultra bypasses a projectile in the first place right?

My controller is too large for me to throw without causing significant damage to my room and/or AV equipment.

jon bones, will you be able to play Thursday night? We have to play each other!

Barrett2

Threi said:
I did it once already :(

good thing my futon is really close to the floor.

Mostly I am just scaring my wife, last night she kept walking into the living room to see what was wrong, I was cursing and yelling at the TV so much it was starting to frighten her. :lol

LiK

-PXG- said:
Yay! Some else who has like 800 fucking points. This shit is so fair.

they probably have a ton of losses so the matchmaking think it's fair :p

forgeforsaken said:
So are all these alt costumes on disk, as I'm playing people that have them and seeing them.

DLC

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
haunts said:
So it's been over a week now.. what do you guys think? I had to take a break last night becuase Ive been playing the game entirely too much.. :lol

I know im late to this response, but slow walking speed and relatively weak ground normals. His s. rh is great for anti air but his LK and LP is his only decent ground normal..

His Ultra will wiff when you hit it in the corner as well.

But yeah hes S+ for a reason.. still takes kill to play though imo..

Honestly, my impression of the game is similar to Sirlin's- it's solid but not spectacular, and I still prefer STHD more. Lots of frustrating small things I don't like.

8/10 sounds about right. Potential to be great if game was tightened up though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It took me awhile to figure out Blanka with Fuerte, but eventually I was able to get some things over on him, even as jumpy Fuerte (with some help from the thread of course). Good times.

Brannon

-PXG- said:
It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time since I wanted to break a fucking controller. I can't win a single match. Plus, I'm playing people with 900+ BP. I have NONE! And yes, I set it to "SAME SKILL".

Ew. For that, you may just want to set it to Stability for now.

On that same topic, when will we see people purposely drop their BP to zero to fight the newcomers? Pretty sure it's going to happen soon, if it's not happening already.

haunts said:

1) I love the game. I only had 1 friend who play 3S in college, so I didn't get into it too much, and HDR practically just came out, so this is the first SF that I'm really trying to take seriously. I got pretty serious with Tekken, but with online, I'm really excited to play SF competitively (no hopes for tourneys, just want to play well). There are little things I'd like to see change, but they don't matter when I'm in a match.

2) I almost like Sagat for his weak normals. It gives me less to think about for the most part. I don't really have much to consider. Instead, there are only one or two normals for most situations, so it lets me simplify. I also love his RH for anti air so I don't have to worry about screwing up when I try to crank out a fast TU with him.

I still love Chun, though and I was playing around with her combos last night. Funny thing, I played with the cr.HP>SBK combo and thought 'I can really only use this to punish something like a whiffed SRK.' Then I read your description and it said exactly that.:lol That guide is awesome.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Brannon said:
Ew. For that, you may just want to set it to Stability for now.

On that same topic, when will we see people purposely drop their BP to zero to fight the newcomers? Pretty sure it's going to happen soon, if it's not happening already.

No real point to do that.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Just read MicVLads post... boring? he plays the most RECKLESS ...UNPREDICTABLE.. Dhalsim.. ever... anything but boring.. haha.

prodystopian said:
1) I love the game. I only had 1 friend who play 3S in college, so I didn't get into it too much, and HDR practically just came out, so this is the first SF that I'm really trying to take seriously. I got pretty serious with Tekken, but with online, I'm really excited to play SF competitively (no hopes for tourneys, just want to play well). There are little things I'd like to see change, but they don't matter when I'm in a match.

2) I almost like Sagat for his weak normals. It gives me less to think about for the most part. I don't really have much to consider. Instead, there are only one or two normals for most situations, so it lets me simplify. I also love his RH for anti air so I don't have to worry about screwing up when I try to crank out a fast TU with him.

I still love Chun, though and I was playing around with her combos last night. Funny thing, I played with the cr.HP>SBK combo and thought 'I can really only use this to punish something like a whiffed SRK.' Then I read your description and it said exactly that.:lol That guide is awesome.

re: 1) Yeah the online is just good enough to play this pretty much all the time and do 90% of what I want to do online so its a great substitute for actually playing people in person...and you should enter a tournament at least once in your life. Its fun and you'll meet some cool people..

2) glad you like the guide. Cammy combo video today! :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
levious said:
weak flash kick, or df HK -> EX flash kick.

thanks my friend, i need to take explore his lk flash kick more... that df HK -> EX FK is a link or will i be canceling the HK?

_dementia said:
jon bones, will you be able to play Thursday night? We have to play each other!

i know, dude! i'll be out of town from thursday -> sunday, but i will be on tonight after LOST

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zapages said:

I hate Ryu's ultra. So easy to block if you know it is coming.

lawblob said:
Mostly I am just scaring my wife, last night she kept walking into the living room to see what was wrong, I was cursing and yelling at the TV so much it was starting to frighten her. :lol
My wife calls me childish for swearing at the TV after a defeat of which I said to her.....

"It's not every day a scroto beats me in Street Fighter....."

I got the weirdest look......

Top 3 fighters for me....
Sagat - godlike. Haven't had much trouble with any fighters with this guy. He can range people like no other, reverse and cancel through a LOT of other people's specials which is nice. :D
Cammy - Holy f'ning crap!! She is limited in range but boy people don't know what she's going to do next and that's what's so great!
Blanka - Same as Cammy. I try and kill people with the heat chomp just to piss them off! :lol

-PXG-

"Fuck this, I'm picking Akuma next match"

*enters match and selects Akuma*

*opponent waits a bit*

*opponent selects FUCKING AKUMA*

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

....I lost....AGAIN!!!! -_____________-;

ShinAmano

Watched the ties that bind last night...not the best, but not the worst...wtf at the Cammy Viper fight :lol

Also sad Ken got no love...except when Ryu said they had the same power...

LiK

neojubei said:
I hate Ryu's ultra. So easy to block if you know it is coming.

most ultras were easy to block online for me. i blocked pretty much every single person's ultra last night. i guess a lot of dudes i played didn't know when to use them.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jon bones said:
thanks my friend, i need to take explore his lk flash kick more... that df HK -> EX FK is a link or will i be canceling the HK?

the df HK will knock them into the air (but only EX Flash will connect after that I think), nothing too tricky otherwise I couldn't do it :)

Gagaman

Start to enjoy the online quite a bit, helped by the fact that my win rate is now just under 50%, although that can be because I fought a lot of Ry/Ken's today that didn't really know what to do other than hadokens and kept coming back for more. Sakura is awesooooome, expect I find her ultra and super kinda hard to pull off most of the time. Also fought a lot of really interesting peeps on there, including an excellent C.Viper/Cammy player who had his timing down brilliantly. I don't mind getting my arse kicked when they're clever about it. :lol

If anyone wants to play me my PSN is thegagaman

God I must of played the game for 3 hours last night and another 4 or 5 today. Unlocked all the characters except Akuma, Gouken and Seth. :S

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As for how I feel about the game: I dig it. Alot. Game feels good when you get used to it (it's been ten years since the last one, of course it'll feel different) and the new characters are all worthy additions. It's fun to play and rewarding to learn. I'm sure if you're a nitpicky "pro" or whatever, you'll find some things wrong and the game will be tightened up through iterations. They always are.

Things I wish were improved upon are kind of simple. Capcom should have thought about some of the lobby options players seemed to have gotten used to as well as some other things. to be honest, given the poor track records of the Japanese and online performance, this game performs very well. My other complaint is the regression to awkward super/ultra move inputs. SFIII had it right. Simply the motions. No more stupid charge motion supers because you give these characters a distinct disadvantage in certain aspects of the game which could be easily corrected by changing the input. Also, they could have added more new characters. After 10 years, all we get are five (fuck Seth)? Kind of weak.

Overall though, I'm quite pleased.

haunts said:

This is the best fighter I've ever played. Note, though, that I haven't played very many. It's got such polish and the moves have such appealing impact that even just sitting down and playing with a fellow scrub at home is a blast. We had this Geif Honda match that was just the two of us throwing regulars at each other
WHAP!
WHAP.
WHAP!
WHAP.
WHAP!
WHAP.

It was so fucking hilarious for some reason. Anyway. I'm grateful for a game that is fun on all levels of play, not just the high ones. I enjoyed DOA4, but it was never as thrilling to play as SF4. And it's balanced in such a way that as long as I play against someone around my skill level, I can always at least do a fair amount of damage even if I lose. Which means I'm rarely ever frustrated. Which is a new sensation for me in fighting games.

I love it.

lawblob said:
Damn, I almost feel like I am getting worse at the game the longer I play with Abel. -_-

At least his DLC outfit is cool.

I need to sit down with Haunt's guide and force myself to learn better defense & combos.

practice his basic combos. cr. mk/mp > change of direction, cr. fp > wheel kick, cr fp > roll > air throw. his roll can go throw projectiles, normals, and has some invincibility. use a ex roll to get out of corners if you're trapped. his ultra can go through projectiles and his wheel quick can go throw projectiles as well. practice wake up tornado throws too. when your comfortable practice change of direction > fadc > cr fp > ultra. it can do serious damage. the trick to abel is to play close and pressure, just like gief. if you want a sparring buddy send me an invite. psn longmeat xbl sir long meat

GrayFoxPL said:
Congrats! :D

I'm giving you a day to learn the moves (Xater sent me an invite when I was just installing :lol) and then it's on!

must imagine that Abel is seriously injured and is not able to walk. You don't walk, you don't jump, you roll. You roll to get to anywhere: close in, mid range, behind, to the market, to the toilet. You just roll. That's how Abel rolls.

Ps. I'm also shit as Abel online. But pick Honda and tell me this: How much easier is to grab with honda's half circle then Abel's? Tell me I'm not seeing things. With Honda you grab off anything, with Abel it misses so often and is slow as fuck!

To everyone that haven't done so yet: Please install the game! It's in Options - System - Install.

Come on. I'm getting really fucking tired of waiting ages for the thing to load on your side!

im not a honda player but tornado throws are easy for me, especially on wakeup. i've done 3 in a row to someone and before they knew it match was over lol.

diffusionx

Gold Member
haunts said:
So it's been over a week now.. what do you guys think?

It's cool but I still like HDR more, I think. And I'm still waiting for BlazBlue.

And yes it would be awesome if more people installed their game on PS3.

Gagaman said:
Sakura is awesooooome, expect I find her ultra and super kinda hard to pull off most of the time.
It's really fun hitting your opponent with EX Shunpukyaku and catching them on the way down with Ultra.

Top Bottom