• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Okay..

Its gotten so bad that I have to unplug my controllers in and out when playing different characters.

I keep trying but I can't use the damn TE stick for any characters like Dhalsim, Fuerte, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Abel, Gouken, Rose, etc...

But charge characters like Vega, Guile, Chun-Li, Bison, etc are god sends with it.

I don't know how many more times I have to practice but this is impossible..

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Kintaro said:
If they cheat to mad BPs, they would get exposed when they start getting trounced by those players.
_dementia said:
These people typically get banned from XBL

yea, i just realized it doesn't really matter... as soon as they enter real fights, their BP will neutralize to their real level

PhatSaqs said:
BP is saved local? whiskey tango foxtrot....

it is lame... i was hoping to be able to play ranked when i'm at my friends place :/

Question. Does anyone know of a good website to refer to for rookie SF players to get a good grasp on the basics, and whatnot? I'm pretty horrible at this game, but would like to find a top tier character to get good with. shoryuken.com seems a bit too hardcore for me. I apologize if this was answered previously, but with 350 some odd pages, I don't have the time to search it out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i just impulse bought this having rarely played a SF game before. we'll see how it goes. had too much fun with the game at a recent event

RedNumberFive said:
Question. Does anyone know of a good website to refer to for rookie SF players to get a good grasp on the basics, and whatnot? I'm pretty horrible at this game, but would like to find a top tier character to get good with. shoryuken.com seems a bit too hardcore for me. I apologize if this was answered previously, but with 350 some odd pages, I don't have the time to search it out.

Read up on the stuff in the OP and watch some tournament videos to get a feel how your character should play.

Sectus

riskVSreward said:
You could, ya know, tell me the site so I could get one.
www.spaceworld.no - Although, being a Norwegian store is probably the explanation why it's not sold out. I had no idea it's in such demand.

Edit: Whoops! They don't actually have it in stock afterall. The item listing is a bit odd, it says "1-20 copies in stock." and the next line is "Is currently not in stock."

RedNumberFive said:
Your perception of tiers seems totally fucked up. At this level it shouldn't matter. Test the waters and stick with whatever character you're best with.

LiK

_dementia said:
Your perception of tiers seems totally fucked up. At this level it shouldn't matter. Test the waters and stick with whatever character you're best with.

yea, it doesnt matter whether the character is considered top-tiered or not. if you can't master their moves, it means nothing.

like _dementia said, find a guy you're comfortable wth and just practice until you can execute everything well.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
RedNumberFive said:

www.iplaywinner.com

Check out their SF4 section ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm having trouble comboing some standing normals after some Focus crumple hits, for instance Akuma's trial where you FA > st.H > etc

What's the timing on going from an FA to a standing normal? Should I use lvl 2 FA (white flash, crumples), lvl 3 FA (unblockable, crumples)?

GrayFoxPL

_dementia said:

ooor pick Sagat and own like there's no tommorrow. Enjoy tiger knee - a move that beats basicly everything in the game.

I had a bad SF day. I told to myself that I wont play today as I'm hella tired and need a rest. Did I? The fuck I did. Reconfigure controls for 26th time so I'm hella confused, there's just no perfect setup, tried every possible combination. Now it's really set up unnatural but pretty practical. I tried getting better with Abel and the fucking Gen again. After loosing few matches. I went to arcade to destroy cpu with the scrubby Sagat. I really need to force myself to rest as right now I don't have enough streath to last 3 rounds. My hands just say: FUCK YOU! - and I just stand there getting beat.

rager

Banned
I played a pretty good El Fuente today. It was close but he beat me. Its good to see someone who can work him. It sucks that you can't rematch on Ranked play.

Ferrio

Banned
Kaijima said:
I'm having trouble comboing some standing normals after some Focus crumple hits, for instance Akuma's trial where you FA > st.H > etc

What's the timing on going from an FA to a standing normal? Should I use lvl 2 FA (white flash, crumples), lvl 3 FA (unblockable, crumples)?

You're dash cancelling the FA right?

Kai Dracon

Ferrio said:
You're dash cancelling the FA right?

Trying - when I double tap forward to DC out of the FA, do I hit H punch the moment I double tap, or do I have to wait a few frames after the DC input registers?

Ferrio

Banned
Kaijima said:
Trying - when I double tap forward to DC out of the FA, do I hit H punch the moment I double tap, or do I have to wait a few frames after the DC input registers?

You do the HP when the dash ends.

Ledsen

Kaijima said:

After the focus attack hits and you've dash canceled up next to the guy, you have a lot of time to hit him before he hits the ground. So chill a bit with that punch. You don't link or cancel the dash, you let it finish.

LowParry

Good lord. I'm so off with my wake ups today. Not sure if the person I was facing dealt input lag or not but damn. Fucking owned by a Ryu player? I'm ashamed. It was like I was playing Tekken online again all of the sudden. Grab grab grab grab grab. Meeeeeh. Topped off at the end with higher wins but still, annoying as fuck that I wasn't doing my wake ups. Sheeeeeit.

entraik

Banned
actually to a statement above... you won't be banned from XBL if you did by any chance keep disconnecting during matches... they have no way of telling ... for all they know you could simply be having connection problems.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kaijima said:

wait until Akuma sets his feet again I think, Dan should be on his knees

-PXG-

jonah777 said:
*facepalm*

If Akuma players are consistently beating you by staying at the far end of the screen, then what does that say about your offensive skill? When will ppl stop singling out characters as "cheap" and learn to deal with BS players instead?

I either get a fireball in my face or a fist up my ass. I can jump over gohadokens until the time goes out or rush at him and get my ass kicked....Yeah...

_dementia said:

Fair enough. At the moment, I usually just hit random every round and see what clicks. Regardless, I haven't played this game in any serious capacity since the early 90s, and if I'm going to take the time and effort to really learn a character or two, I'd rather it be one that is considered somewhat worthwhile.

To everyone else, thanks for the help. I'll be doing my research this evening!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am enjoying the home version far more than I ever did the arcade version, but that's simply because of the larger character roster and being able to really sit down and practice, which was just not happening at game centers.

Same as I thought last July when I first played the game-- Capcom/Dimps did an amazing job at mimicking sprite-based 2D game play. The game feels the same and craps all over 2007's Battle Fantasia in that regard. Same with Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom for that matter. It's very impressive and puts to rest any fears that going polygon once again would ruin Capcom 2D fighters. That said, I am looking forward to KOF XII far more than I ever did SF4.

My only real complaint with this game is the character roster. There's just not enough new faces. In the arcade it's just four, and initially I wasn't that big on anyone but Abel. Now I think they are all cool in their own way. With the home version, there's Gouken and Seth (bleh) added to the mix, and while I love the added Super and Alpha characters, brand-new faces would have been even better. I know why Capcom went this route and brought back so many classic characters, but I really loved how they took a chance with Street Fighter III and essentially started over with the roster. IIRC it's been reported that Ryu and Ken weren't even supposed to be in III initially. Holy crap!

haunts said:
I know why people get hella mad and I understand why, I do, but honestly I find myself laughing at this game like nonstop when I play at home.. its so damn goofy half the time and getting hit or doing dumb shit is just so funny for some reason.

Same here! I don't see the point in getting frustrated with fighting games, or gaming in general for that matter, unless it's some problem with the game (it fucks up and you lose your save, some type of glitch preventing you from continuing, etc.)

If I'm getting my ass beat by someone, it just gives me a goal to work towards, and with fighters you can watch what the higher level players are doing and (hopefully) learn from it. Plus it's always cool seeing what someone can really do with the game engine!

But it's gotten to the point that I can be a mean lil' bastard in random player matches though. Now I'm just picking Dan and seeing how well I can take people out, and most of the time it's still pretty easy since it's the same dumb RyuKen players, now with a dash of Sagat. Haven't done this in ranked yet, but I am thinking about just using whoever in ranked now too to get a better challenge out of the endless wave of scrubs.

Finally started just searching for matches with equal or higher skill now though, and it's been helping. If anything I'm getting more than just 1 or 2 BP points when I win. :p

Kai Dracon

Ledsen said:
After the focus attack hits and you've dash canceled up next to the guy, you have a lot of time to hit him before he hits the ground. So chill a bit with that punch. You don't link or cancel the dash, you let it finish.

Thanks both; I'm overthinking it, will try this later.

-PXG- said:
I either get a fireball in my face or a fist up my ass. I can jump over gohadokens until the time goes out or rush at him and get my ass kicked....Yeah...

I've found Rufus is good with dealing with these characters. Vertical jump > dive kick to get safely over projectiles as it also closes the gap. His df + mk command roll is also good at going under air fireballs.

PhatSaqs

Banned
-PXG- said:
Have you tried FADCing some of the FBs to get in? Who are you using? Every character in the game has a move to get around projectiles.

krazen

TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay..

Its gotten so bad that I have to unplug my controllers in and out when playing different characters.

I keep trying but I can't use the damn TE stick for any characters like Dhalsim, Fuerte, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Abel, Gouken, Rose, etc...

But charge characters like Vega, Guile, Chun-Li, Bison, etc are god sends with it.

Ha,

This was my problem, its been years since I regularly played with a joystick, so when HDR came out I was failing my moves half the time which irked me to all heavens considering execution was never my problem(playing smart under the gun was:D).

Solution?

Dummy set to stun, custom soundtrack to something not boring, and 15 minute sessions of continous fireballs, uppercuts, and supers. Initially for every hour of playing online, I probably had 15 minutes of 'practice' till I get my consistancy back.

After the newness wears off, im gonna do the same with SF4, since when I am playing Dhaslim Im having problems differenciating between a teleport, super, and an ultra, lol.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
RedNumberFive said:

Check this guide..!

http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/3163881/21109/street_fighter_4/xbox_360

I'm with you Lyte Edge. Just like SFII and SFIII had dramatically different rosters than their predecessors, I wish SFIV had a new roster. Every numbered one should be that way.
It would be shit for business though, at least Capcom/Dimps had the opportunity to make a successful, numbered SF sequel for the first time in 11 years.

Kai Dracon

Lyte Edge said:
But it's gotten to the point that I can be a mean lil' bastard in random player matches though. Now I'm just picking Dan and seeing how well I can take people out, and most of the time it's still pretty easy since it's the same dumb RyuKen players, now with a dash of Sagat. Haven't done this in ranked yet, but I am thinking about just using whoever in ranked now too to get a better challenge out of the endless wave of scrubs.

Finally started just searching for matches with equal or higher skill now though, and it's been helping. If anything I'm getting more than just 1 or 2 BP points when I win. :p

I love playing Dan in SFIV now that he's more of a real character. The way I see it, Dan is kinda like "hard mode", where he is basically competitive but doesn't enjoy any one overly spammy or dominating move (besides his Ultra in the right circumstances) to give him an easy win button to press in many match ups. With Dan you CAN win but doing so demonstrates that you know how to play the damned game.

krazen

_dementia said:
I'm with you Lyte Edge. Just like SFII and SFIII had dramatically different rosters than their predecessors, I wish SFIV had a new roster. Every numbered one should be that way.
It would be shit for business though, at least Capcom/Dimps had the opportunity to make a successful, numbered SF sequel for the first time in 11 years.

There's alot they can do now with the move to 3d(and the ease of not having to draw everything from scratch) and the current popularity of the franchise. Im hoping for a return to some SF based side titles like Rival Schools and DarkStalkers where they can go wacky with the character designs/ideas but still keep the main brand poppin'

-PXG-

PhatSaqs said:
Have you tried FADCing some of the FBs to get in? Who are you using? Every character in the game has a move to get around projectiles.

:lol wut? English please. I'm new to SF...

holy shit! I wont 4 in a row last night and gave a pretty good fight on my fifth one. Its just a big deal to me because things started clicking with me. Also i decided to give it one more go with my hori pad, and i dont think i can go back to my sf4 fight pad. I do now like the joystick more. I had alot of badass combacks too, had very low life, then at the last second pulled off my revenge move or whatever its called and would win the match.

Baby Milo

TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay..

......:lol

I'm really starting to dislike the damage scaling in this game... It's most likely because I'm playing as Able and in just about no situation is it best for me to Ex cancel his rekka into his ultra given your crouching H. Punch will just punish and combo from jump ins/crossovers fine, the only exception being when you need to punish with the M. Punch due to range. It's just really disheartening to not be using something which is far harder to learn and looks much more impressive because it both does less damage then the far easier alternative and takes up 2 super segments; when going straight to the crouching H. Punch doesn't.

Needless to say I decided to switch my main and lost 800 of my 2000 or so BP with Dan.

krazen

-PXG- said:
:lol wut? English please. I'm new to SF...

Ha!

Focus attack the fireball and then dash closer in is what he is saying

Also, alot of the characters have built in anti-fireball moves. Some of them you might have to use the EX version of their special moves.

Wow, so I think me losing so much was maybe to do with me playing as characters I'm just not comfortable with. Earlier I had 0BP and after about an hour of playing as Cammy I've managed to build up around 600. Maybe she's just more suited to how I play. It's cool though, I don't feel like ripping my own face off in frustration anymore!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
lawblob said:
abel_001_Alternate_Costume.bmp

Abel looks very handsome in that pic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I think people who feel that the roster doesn't feel 'fresh' will be placated soon enough. It was obvious SFIV needed to be a hit, and what better way to draw the old crowd than with familiar faces... but iterations will come as they always do and with them, additional characters (whether they be 3S / Final Fight guys / all new characters / whomever) will show up.

I'm not too worried, the SFIV engine has so much life left in it that by the time it's 'perfected', I highly doubt we'll only have the characters we have now.

ShinAmano

Since it was passed over a couple of pages back i wanted to mention that the arcade machines that were painted at the SF4 launch event are up on eBay with starting bids of $650 and free shipping...

Also is there a video out there that shows all of a characters taunts/personal actions yet?

Top Bottom