• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MoxManiac said:
I think the closest thing to chains in SF4 are target combos. Examples being Rufus s.lk > s.hk, and Guile has one that's like c.mk into foward s.mp (don't remember it exactly) I think everyone but Seth has one?

Target combos are chains.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
BrainZEROX said:
I really hope Capcom will patch the Seth bullshit because it's really sucking the fun I might have with the solo :eek:/
Come on Capcom, it's a GAME! We are supposed to have fun with it, not wanting to obliterate your Q&A people.

Stop sucking so much...

Zapages

I've unlocked all the characters except for Seth. lol But I finally got Gouken. YAYAY!!! :)

I own the PS3 CE version of the game if anyone is wondering...

To get Gouken, you guys need to do 2 Perfects, 3 Ultras and then finish Gouken off with an Ultra... All this after you beat the game at least once with Akuma...

I got my last two Ultras on my rival Sagat and Seth....

2DMention

Banned
ggp759 said:
Anyone else getting 3 or 4 bars and then in the middle of the match the game slows down pauses and in some cases disconnects from the other player?

That's what during the xband days we called "pulling."

arstal said:
Target combos are chains.
Target are chains with only specified moves and cannot be chained with alternated canceling normals ala Darkstalkers or Marvel

like Dudley's targets were specific in their order:
MK, HK, HP
LK, MK, MP, HP
f+HK, MK
fore examples
they are not chains were you can customly go from Light to Medium and then Hard in your desired order

Gen in PPP and Guy in the Alphas could work from their lights up to mediums and hards, from punch to a kick. those were chains

Ken's close MP, HP is not a Chain but a Target

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zapages said:
I've unlocked all the characters except for Seth. lol But I finally got Gouken. YAYAY!!! :)

I own the PS3 CE version of the game if anyone is wondering...

To get Gouken, you guys need to do 2 Perfects, 3 Ultras and then finish Gouken off with an Ultra... All this after you beat the game at least once with Akuma...

I got my last two Ultras on my rival Sagat and Seth....

not required

rager

Banned
Seth is not all that tough, I can own his ass with Ken on Hardest setting without continuing now. I know all of his patterns. In fact, its seems that there is no real difference in difficulty from medium to hardest for him.

levious

Zapages said:
It did not work the previous 4 times I defeated Gouken with Ryu, which included 2 Perfects and 1 Vitality. :)

defeating Gouken with an Ultra is not a requirement, I'm sure there's plenty of mystery around it though, IGN says you need to do a certain number of First Attacks throughout your run as well.

Ferrio

Banned
gutter_trash said:
Target are chains with only specified moves and cannot be chained with alternated canceling normals ala Darkstalkers or Marvel

like Dudley's targets were specific in their order:
MK, HK, HP
LK, MK, MP, HP
f+HK, MK
fore examples
they are not chains were you can customly go from Light to Medium and then Hard in your desired order

Gen in PPP and Guy in the Alphas could work from their lights up to mediums and hards, from punch to a kick. those were chains

Ken's close MP, HP is not a Chain but a Target

It's chain! Splitting hairs here!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Way too many people are bitching about turtling or zoning (and keep mixing up these terms at the same time) in this thread.

That's how you play those characters

Zapages

levious said:
defeating Gouken with an Ultra is not a requirement, I'm sure there's plenty of mystery around it though, IGN says you need to do a certain number of First Attacks throughout your run as well.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now... As I have gouken.

Off to unlock Seth now in the game... :)

levious

Zapages said:
Anyway, it doesn't matter now... As I have gouken.

Off to unlock Seth now in the game... :)

yeah, that's exactly how I felt after I was done unlocking!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Osaka said:
Way too many people are bitching about turtling or zoning (and keep mixing up these terms at the same time) in this thread.

Exactly. The great irony is that the people in this thread complaining are just as scrubby as the scrubs they're calling out. Scrubbiness is an attitude, not just a result of picking a shoto.

rager

Banned
Osaka said:

Exactly, Its been that way since SF2, some characters are native turtles (guile etc...) and shotos are zoning characters.

Barrett2

Sectus said:
I just started watching the "tips from the pros" video in that guide. The very start of the video isn't too promising though... "For the first 5-10 minutes we'll show all the menu options for the casual people, but pros can skip that." Okiiieeee.

Do you work for SNK or something?

rager

Banned
Boy, My Guile is really bad in SF4. His timing is so different from the old days. I miss the ol' sonic boom lag setups I use to be able to do in SF2. I have to practice with him and find his strengths in this version.

OK, what the FUCK is canceling? I've read it everywhere and assume it's something I do, but I just don't know the name for it. Unless it's only a Turbo HD & SFIV thing...?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
rager said:
Exactly, Its been that way since SF2, some characters are native turtles (guile etc...) and shotos are zoning characters.

People on Gaf buy the game, play it for a couple weeks and all of a sudden they're all pro's. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
OK, what the FUCK is canceling? I've read it everywhere and assume it's something I do, but I just don't know the name for it. Unless it's only a Turbo HD & SFIV thing...?

It's been in SFII since... SFII... it was the first combo. It's when you cancel a moves animation to go into another move. Example would be Standing Heavy punch into a fireball. Do the heavy punch then immediately do a fireball, the heavy punch should hit then instead of going into recovery animation you'll do a fireball.

RJNavarrete said:

Doing a move very quickly after another move (if said moves have the property of canceling) will cancel the animation of the first move and make you go directly into the second move giving you a combo.

gutter_trash said:
now they can zone further away in Widescreen!
:lol

by the way, how does this game work in 4:3? Does it letterbox? Does it give you the same amount of horizontal space as 16:9 while increasing the vertical space?

remember! not all normals are special cancelable!

mess with your normals in training mode to find out which are special cancelable and which are not!

Some normals now in SF4 (like Dudley' f+HP was and now Honda's close HP and cr.HP are) are now Super Cancelable into Supers but not specials.

Sectus

... okie, so far the video on the superguide is pretty much worthless. They spend something like 10 minutes trying to do combos in the trial mode in the game, and fail. I don't blame them for that, since those combos are stupidly hard to pull off... but it isn't helpful one bit to show that in the video. They also use some terminology which isn't explained. What exactly is "zoning"? I checked the terms and definitions lists in the guide and it doesn't mention that at all. Is it controlling the distance between your opponent?

And now they're talking about extremely specific moves for Fei Long using all kinds of crazy terminology. This video isn't very helpful to a beginner. I'm just gonna skip rest of the video.

The mini-guides for each character on the guide seems pretty good, but that's not what I'm after. I wanna know how all the gameplay mechanics works.

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html - This is probably the most helpful thing I've found so far, but it's not that easy to read through and I'm not sure how much of it applies to SF4 specifically. But learning something like this is extremely helpful:
"reversal - special or super move performed by the defending player on the first free frame following hit stun, block stun, knockdown, air reel, or throw tech"

I've seen reversal on the screen ingame several times but I had no idea how it actually worked. Now I do yay! And that would explain why I'd keep seeing Ken's shoryuken hit me at times I thought it couldn't hit.

If there's any kind of guide which focuses on explaining these kinds of mechanics in detail, that would be great. Because they are insanely important mechanics I barely see mentioned. Most guides do nothing else besides listing the very basics of the game ("Hey, you can do an ultra by doing the ultra move in the movelist!") or listing a ton of combos.

LukeSmith

SnowWolf said:
Exactly. The great irony is that the people in this thread complaining are just as scrubby as the scrubs they're calling out. Scrubbiness is an attitude, not just a result of picking a shoto.

Finally, someone got it right.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Oh, wanted to mention I think Mr Jared is going to be streaming our game session tomorrow night (keystone lite). Might having a Toruny as well.

Attendants:
Mr Jared (Rose)
n3ss (Akuma/Blanka)
Haunts (Sagat/Viper)
A_Rival (Chun/Seth)
Magnus1234 (Blanka/Viper)
thrust07 (Bison)
lintrix (Sim/Ryu)
Pikie (Zangief)

and more...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
n3ss said:
Oh, wanted to mention I think Mr Jared is going to be streaming our game session tomorrow night (keystone lite). Might having a Toruny as well.

Attendants:
Mr Jared (Rose)
n3ss (Akuma/Blanka)
Haunts (Sagat/Viper)
A_Rival (Chun/Seth)
Magnus1234 (Blanka/Viper)
thrust07 (Bison)
lintrix (Sim/Ryu)
Pikie (Zangief)

and more...

hahah seth.. SURFS UP.

Top Bottom