• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Askia47, good games! Keep it up with that Cammy, once you start using your EX moves more and incorporate some Hooligan throw into your repertoire youll be doing pretty well for yourself. Youre easily the most throw happy person Ive played against yet lol, I could have sworn I was canceling against half of those, but oh well.

Captain N said:
I just figured out you can shoryuken as your coming back up from getting knocked down.

Have you not played any Kens online?

Thats like, their life, yo

-COOLIO- said:
i dont even know what a kara is. im viper. you mean a special throw?

A Kara cancel is when you do a normal attack into a special. I really can't help much with Viper as I've not spent any time with her but I'd assume you can combo a low fierce punch into a lp lightening rush (have no idea what the move's called, but quarter circle back punch) to punish shoryukens, as well as specials and ultras.

Captain N said:
I don't get it..is that considered cheap?

No, once you start blocking and punishing it you'll adore people for using it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Threi said:
popped it in again, and im losing against the shittiest of players now.

I am seriously completely discouraged to play this game now.

20 fucking
minutes.

if i didn't have to return it i would have really thrown it full force at a wall by now.

*edit*

i should stop playing now. Every unreconized input is tempting me to fucking break my regular 360 pad in half.
i was gonna send u a invite

Edit:

Anyone wanna play thats good or think their good?

xbl: n33ss

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Captain N said:
I don't get it..is that considered cheap?

Lets assume youre not messing with me for a moment.

Its not cheap and its very effective, but after you play for a while you can see it coming a mile away. Best thing you can do is get close to a shoto when hes down so he thinks he can hit you with the easy shoryuken on wakeup, block it and when he falls, you can pretty much do whatever you want to him (throw, ultra, combo, whatev)

Another thing you can is prepare a Focus Attack and dash out of the way before the shoryuken comes, thats a good way to lure a player as well.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
copybeaver said:
I think it's pretty easy. But I've been using pads forever. I can FADC just fine (into ultras as well as mid combo)... do the trials... etc. In the event that I screw up in trial and other weird things, it's because I just screwed up, haha.
btw is there some kind of tip you can give me in form of a thumb motion for the super jump on the pad?

Askia47

Raging Spaniard said:
Askia47, good games! Keep it up with that Cammy, once you start using your EX moves more and incorporate some Hooligan throw into your repertoire youll be doing pretty well for yourself. Youre easily the most throw happy person Ive played against yet lol, I could have sworn I was canceling against half of those, but oh well.

Have you not played any Kens online?

Thats like, their life, yo

Good games Raging Spaniard! Yes I love throwing alot , its a habit from SF3 :lol . Your good with alot of characters too, I really like your Chun li and Dhalsim. I still need to work on Cammy and a few other Characters, so much to learn @_@.

And if any one else wants to play me, psn: askia47

Captain N

Raging Spaniard said:
Lets assume youre not messing with me for a moment.

Its not cheap and its very effective, but after you play for a while you can see it coming a mile away. Best thing you can do is get close to a shoto when hes down so he thinks he can hit you with the easy shoryuken on wakeup, block it and when he falls, you can pretty much do whatever you want to him (throw, ultra, combo, whatev)

Another thing you can is prepare a Focus Attack and dash out of the way before the shoryuken comes, thats a good way to lure a player as well.

The only reason I ask is because I just figured it out and since I'm not very good I found it pretty exciting. Now I hear this thing about Kara-Throws and its way too confusing for me to take all of this in at once.

LordK

-COOLIO- said:
btw is there some kind of tip you can give me in form of a thumb motion for the super jump on the pad?

Hm, I never realized people really had problems with it. I had been doing it since the MVC2 days so I never really thought about how I actually did the motion. I just... sorta do it.

A lot of the motions I do use sort of the pivot point (middle part of the thumb where it bends) of my thumb as opposed to, well, the tip of my thumb. I'm not currently by the game right now, but if I was to guess how I do it, I actually have my thumb oriented sideways (almost perpendicular to the down/up axis). So sort of the outside of the middle of my thumb would push down then I just drag it up really fast.

I dunno. I can look at it tomorrow when I'm near the game again (out of city right now).

Lao

Neo Member
Hmmmmm, anyone here interested in playing somtime? I'm tired of just running through shitty fighters that don't give me enough battle points =/.

Raging Spaniard

Captain N said:
The only reason I ask is because I just figured it out and since I'm not very good I found it pretty exciting. Now I hear this thing about Kara-Throws and its way too confusing for me to take all of this in at once.

Yeah Ive been playing SF for years and I dunno wtf these people talk about half the time. My whole vocab is usually "punch" and "face". So dont worry too much

Just worry about knowing the good normal moves the character you like has, what specials work for you and throw a fool when he doesnt expect it, the rest will come with time but you just need to get those fundamentals first. As long as you have good defense you can win most matches with 2 hit combos (punch and sweep, for instance), just remember to be patient :)

Raging Spaniard

-COOLIO- said:
:lol

;_;

specifically for the diagonals

Okay

Down, then diagonal up-right

OR

Down, then diagonal up-left

I know it sounds crazy but TRUST ME ON THIS

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
copybeaver said:
Hm, I never realized people really had problems with it. I had been doing it since the MVC2 days so I never really thought about how I actually did the motion. I just... sorta do it.

A lot of the motions I do use sort of the pivot point (middle part of the thumb where it bends) of my thumb as opposed to, well, the tip of my thumb. I'm not currently by the game right now, but if I was to guess how I do it, I actually have my thumb oriented sideways (almost perpendicular to the down/up axis). So sort of the outside of the middle of my thumb would push down then I just drag it up really fast.

I dunno. I can look at it tomorrow when I'm near the game again (out of city right now).
interesting

i slide my thumb. ill try out your way

Threi

notag
just a little update if anyone cares: from my last post in this thread ive lost about 40 ranked matches. The broken fightpad right beside me completely took away my will to try to wrestle with the shitty xbox dpad. I don't even think i blocked a fireball.

Every fight was basically:

"oh he jumped backwards and is now starting to spam fireballs"
"fine il roll under them"
*QCF+K*
*abel does short kick*
*gets hit by fireball*
"oh well whatever what's another loss gunna hurt"
*takes a beating*

and rinse and repeat for another 40-odd matches.

i have decided to stop trying to fight the damn controller and just leave it alone until i get a working fightpad. But gg MS and gg MadCatz. You make some damn fine products if i do say so myself. Maybe i should go play some fucking brown shooters instead.

Lao

Neo Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Custom search -> Same Skill/Better Skill : P

Yeah, I've done that and it still has a hard time finding fighters with more points then me. I still end up getting players with lower battle points. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else feels like having a private challenge once in awhile.

Threi said:
just a little update if anyone cares: from my last post in this thread ive lost about 40 ranked matches. The broken fightpad right beside me completely took away my will to try to wrestle with the shitty xbox dpad. I don't even think i blocked a fireball.

*QCF+K*
*abel does short kick*
*gets hit by fireball*
*takes a beating*

i have decided to stop trying to fight the damn controller and just leave it alone until i get a working fightpad. But gg MS and gg MadCatz. You make some damn fine products if i do say so myself. Maybe i should go play some fucking brown shooters instead.

sorry to hear that man
why don't you get a Hori stick? Scarcity? Not a stick person?

I'll be on again tomorrow night XBLers, just invite me!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Right now I'm trying to decide who my sub-main should be to Honda

Candidates are Rose, Chun, and Rufus.

I think my Honda's pretty decent now- in ranked I can sometimes scratch out wins on people with 4000 BPs, though I can occasionally lose to Ryu/Sagat turtles that I feel like I shouldn't lose to, and Abel and Guile give me fits due to the matchup.

I probably jump too much, but Honda unlike any other version seems to be more about offense then defense now

Knowing that, and the fact my style isn't very technical, recommendations?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Threi said:

*QCF+K*
*abel does short kick*
*gets hit by fireball*
*takes a beating*

That cheap Gamestop controller has an okay dpad if you're really desperate.

But I've personally never had problems with QCF or DP on the default 360 dpad. It's just that charge moves sometimes make you jump accidentally and the button placement is awkward.

arstal said:
Right now I'm trying to decide who my sub-main should be to Honda

Candidates are Rose, Chun, and Rufus.

I think my Honda's pretty decent now- in ranked I can sometimes scratch out wins on people with 4000 BPs, though I can occasionally lose to Ryu/Sagat turtles that I feel like I shouldn't lose to, and Abel and Guile give me fits due to the matchup.

I probably jump too much, but Honda unlike any other version seems to be more about offense then defense now

Knowing that, and the fact my style isn't very technical, recommendations?
Rufus. Hardly anyone picks him for some reason...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ Zangief grabbing me with a SPD after i hit HIM with a Dash Punch. Really? Is that what's hot in the streets?

I finally got my copy ( after a weeks worth of bitching to you guys) and wow it's awesome.
I suck tho.

1. The song was pretty bad but after hours of sitting in the lobby....it will consume my soul.
2. I SUCK BADLY. Got my ass kick but these so called Shoto Scrubs too a shit player like me are awesome.
3. I;ve fought my share of Ken's but I've fought some Rufus', Viper's and even a Guile( who made me questio nmy manhood).
4. This game is addictive, I'm not a big online guy but I kept saying gotta get my first win....yeah...1-21.
5. Got my first against a Seth player pretty intense match, but luckily Seth has worse Stamina than Sakura.

Soooooo finally I got mah shit and now will hope to not suck as hawd. so If you see a shitty jumpy Sakura that's me...don't kick my ass too hard.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
-COOLIO- said:
not many gens online at all : \

I've only run into one Gen- and that was a dude who regularly plays me who has insane execution (Seriously he was stupid hard training mode combos on day 1), but isn't that mentally strong, I usually win by outpoking him, then more outpoking, then the Lookaway, then the Frog Punch. Wait, wrong thread. ^_^

y2dvd

Spirit of Jazz said:
A Kara cancel is when you do a normal attack into a special. I really can't help much with Viper as I've not spent any time with her but I'd assume you can combo a low fierce punch into a lp lightening rush (have no idea what the move's called, but quarter circle back punch) to punish shoryukens, as well as specials and ultras.

No, once you start blocking and punishing it you'll adore people for using it.

I don't know what "kara" means exactly, but the term is usually used in SF for doing a move, then canceling it into another move before the first move actually hits, usually used to gain distance to a move that otherwise wouldn't have been there. For example, Ken's f+mk moves him forward about a body length. Normally, you have to be right next to a player to throw them, but if you kara cancel f+mk into a throw, you'll be able to throw them from a body length away.

I wouldn't say Viper have any kara cancel combos. She has plenty of combos which requires her to use her build-in cancels though. I really don't see how anyone can pull these on pads unless you map PPP to a button. A intermediate combo you could pull of on pads is mp, cr mp, qcb+mp.

Ferrio

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
lol@ Zangief grabbing me with a SPD after i hit HIM with a Dash Punch. Really? Is that what's hot in the streets?

Big deal. Wait till you get grabbed while punching.

Kara cancel is when you do a normal attack into a special. I really can't help much with Viper as I've not spent any time with her but I'd assume you can combo a low fierce punch into a lp lightening rush (have no idea what the move's called, but quarter circle back punch) to punish shoryukens, as well as specials and ultras.

That is NOT Kara Canceling. That is regular canceling.

Kara cancel is when you cancel a wiffed normal. It's usually used to gain range, and mostly used for throws. Kara Cancelling is an advanced tactic too, so don't worry about it until much later and may not even be useful for your character.

Sectus said:
MicVlaD's Yoga, Gouken and Abel are pretty scary too. I only found one effective tactic when playing against him: weeping.
This is no diss towards your Sakura (like I said through XBL: you're definitely improving), but my Abel and Gouken are kind of sloppy to be honest. Wish I could be better with them. :[

Xabora said:
Oh my god, I LOVE USING GEN!
If you're serious about improving your game with him and if you purchased Street Fighter IV on the 360: ask yeb if he wants to play. Rarely did I spot a Gen online before, but the tricks he pulled off when I invited him not so long ago were brutal.

Spiderjericho said:
Just played MicVlad on XBL...

I tried to send you a message saying bye...GGs

You have an interesting Dhalsim...there were some crazy shenanigans with the mid-air teleports, focus attacks and super/ultras.

It was the first time I played online. At first, it felt like molasses. The delay between inputs and moves was crazy.
I think it might've been your connection. You had 1 red bar, but surprisingly the netcode still held up (moreso if you take into account that I'm from Europe) for the most part.

Spiderjericho said:
Seriously...I'm a novice...I was only able to survive McVlad based on my old SF skills not my character strengths or new systems.
I wouldn't call you a novice. You were the better player and I'd rank you next to the likes of n3ss and haunts, whom are also really good.

NameGenerated said:
Good games earlier MicVlad. Even though you repeatedly kicked my ass. I can't wait until my stick comes in, so I can at least suck less. Every time I was trying my ultra, I'd do that damn Ex Air throw.
I know what you mean: had that happen to me more than I would've liked. I've noticed that it does help if you take your time with the Super / Ultra motions on the other hand: you actually get a relatively big window to activate them.

TurtleSnatcher said:
GG's again MicVlad from earlier tonight.. I still love your Dhalsim and envy you.

I've come to the conclusion that I suck in this game.

My Vega is average at best.. and I just tried to get use to Dhalsim tonight and it was friggin impossible.

I can't time his kicks correctly on people jumping in. I get manhandled by anyone that jumps in because either my kick is too low or too late. Not to mention I have this knack that when I jump I tend to hit back and it screws up his stretch attacks and crap.

Ugh.. The only success I had was if I prepped myself for like 10 secs and kept spamming LP Yoga Fires then prepped a teleport behind and got a Super off..

Sometimes I'd get a Yoga Catastrophe off in front and then teleport behind and push back.. but that even seems hard =[

I officially fail in this game. FAIL.
"Sucking" is a massive exaggeration in your case, quite frankly.

Dizzy-4U said:
For those who sent me an invite yesterday: Sorry guys, I was having very bad connection problems. All the connections had only one red bar, so I wasn't able to play. I'm checking my router, enabling ports and stuff to see if I can fix this.
Have you tried playing a few games yet? Because those ping meters aren't all that accurate and more often than not the match is still playable with 1 - 2 red bars. At least that's what I've experienced...

PrivateRyan said:
UK Street Fighter IV babyyyyyyyyyyy

Here's the video report from the first SFIV Ranking Battle, held at Gamerbase in Trocadero last Friday:

http://www.neoempire.com/?p=1747

El Fuerte players should definitely check it out as well...
I wish I could participate in an event like that, just to see what it's like "in real life". People were really enjoying themselves over there it seemed.

Good matches, too, other than the anti-climatic finale. :p

ShinAmano said:
Good games yesterday MicVlaD. You have a great Dhalsim. I was using the stick yesterday and i would say I have gotten much better with it in the last week, but still feel I am stronger on a pad...hopefully one day I can match skill on both.

Looking forward to some rematches.
Thanks. I'd probably suffer from that too when my stick arrives, but it'll be worth adjusting to once I pass that hurdle. Right now it's obnoxious how I randomly miss perfectly good chances to inflict some serious damage, solely due to me not being accurate enough with a standard controller. Hopefully an arcade stick will remedy that 'handicap'.

Still having fun however, so thankfully it isn't a deal breaker at the moment.

PhatSaqs said:
I have some more ranked match vids up on ye ole Tube for anyone interested. I have plenty more to put up as well. Havent had anymore ragequits tho. I guess the word is out :lol
Mind if I send you a Friends Request? I don't have much experience against Rose, so I'd like to change that some time soon.

Spiderjericho said:
I would agree...MicVlad's Dhalsim is crazy... Very interesting...

Speaking of Dhalsim, I'd like to play against Eggo's Dhalsim... If he's playing it...

I've only played online once...against MicVlad...so I don't really have much credible input to provide. It was a bit laggy when I played.
Likewise. He's a much better player than I ever was in HD Remix, so I'd like to see how much he'll outclass me in SF IV.

Won said:
Screw you, MicVlaD, screw you!

Sorry, still not good at this game. Too many things I still can't do with my Boxer. I hope you got something out of it. :p
NO U

But you were doing pretty well, by the by. Just need to work on linking that Ultra with the headbutt more often and not dashing into my own Ultra when I used it on wake-up, is all.

Sectus said:
Shit, you uploaded that one match-up where I clumsily kept whiffing Gouken's EX Hurricane Kick, and plenty of other moves. :lol

Anyway: if you ever want to capture more Dhalsim matches, be sure to let me know.

C- Warrior said:
Anyway, a big tip for those getting caught with the dhalsim air teleport to heavy punch in air -- just ForceAttack that shit -- it works every time.
That isn't a sure-fire way to counter that particular teleport combo, however. There are multiple ways to avoid being hit by that when your opponent tries to adapt to it, if Dhalsim is not that high off the ground after he reaches the other side. First off: after the heavy punch has been absorbed, Dhalsim can still use his light or medium slide tackle to quickly hit that Focus Attack a second time. Dhalsim's headbutt also works if he's close enough, but then he might as well just grab the player instead. And if you really want to be a jerk: Dhalsim can do a Focus Attack of his own after the Heavy Punch has been absorbed, or do a light Yoga Flame to break that armor. Another teleport is also an option, of course.

milkham

Hey, is anyone else having this problem? Sometimes when I quit the game my ps3 just resets itself. Its not as if i turned it off from the ps button menu, it turns off, then immediately turns back on. Quitting SF4 is the only time this happens, but it doesn't happen every time.

Kadey said:
I'm an average player. I do pretty good until I run into tourney level guys. Then it's crying.

emr85.jpg

Got my ten wins in a row, 10 requests and 100 wins achievement so I'm happy.
Nice.

BTW, before I forget: would you prefer it if I stopped sending you invites, next time you're online? Apparently you keep declining 'em. :[

h3ro

n3ss, sorry I didn't accept your invite right away. I was in the middle of a challenge and by the time I accepted afterwards, you were already in another match. I'd love to have a few rounds in the player lobby with you though... next time, I guess.

That being said, two more colors left to unlock. :D

dralla

my viper game is getting really good :] her cross-up game is ridiculous with her air-burning kicks. thunder knuckle is relatively safe on block and easily cancelable from crouching mp/mk. ex seismic hammer, super jump cancel into burning kick has become routine for me. I like to ex thunder knuckle into my ultra, usually after FA, DC forwards. fierce thunder knuckle is pretty good AA, if hit at the fight angle you can double it up or link into super/ultra. her overhead elbow is nice too, still trying to use it more effectively, I see you can jump over projectiles with it.

im at that point where I feel like i have all the tools and I just need to put it all together, know what I mean? I still feel like I think too much when I play, maybe it's because I'm stuck using the POS 360 controller.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dralla said:
my viper game is getting really good :] her cross-up game is ridiculous with her air-burning kicks. thunder knuckle is relatively safe on block and easily cancelable from crouching mp/mk. ex seismic hammer, super jump cancel into burning kick has become routine for me. I like to ex thunder knuckle into my ultra, usually after FA, DC forwards. fierce thunder knuckle is pretty good AA, if hit at the fight angle you can double it up or link into super/ultra. her overhead elbow is nice too, still trying to use it more effectively, I see you can jump over projectiles with it.

im at that point where I feel like i have all the tools and I just need to put it all together, know what I mean? I still feel like I think too much when I play, maybe it's because I'm stuck using the POS 360 controller.
the low thunder knuckle makes you look more pro though

Top Bottom