• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ferrio

Banned
Chamber said:
Ferrio, that was quite an enjoyable string of beatings you just handed me. :lol

Shut up. :(

Some tips.

-You did lots of full screen psycho crushers and scissor kicks. I was able to punish them lots of times with projectiles or a small combo.
-Don't know how to play Bison, but I think you under utilized his head stomp mix ups. Rose's projectile has a VERY SLOW recovery. You could of stomped on my head quite a few times.
-Don't play the range game with Rose. Rose has no good wake up, so if you get in on her stay there. You started being more aggressive in the end, you should of kept at it instead of backing off.
-Utilize your normals more. First couple rounds you barely used any, got better later matches and you did much better.
-Careful on the use of slide.
-I believe Bison's wakeup is his teleport (don't know if that's true), but I think it could of got you out of some crossup situations.

Vargas

I finally got the 5 ranked wins in a row trophy. Akuma players always seemed to mess me up on the fifth fight but not this time. I fought two Akumas back to back and two Cammys. When fighting either of those two characters against my Zangief I pretty much always lost.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ferrio said:
Some tips.

-You did lots of full screen psycho crushers and scissor kicks. I was able to punish them lots of times with projectiles or a small combo.
-Don't know how to play Bison, but I think you under utilized his head stomp mix ups. Rose's projectile has a VERY SLOW recovery. You could of stomped on my head quite a few times.
-Don't play the range game with Rose. Rose has no good wake up, so if you get in on her stay there. You started being more aggressive in the end, you should of kept at it instead of backing off.
-Utilize your normals more. First couple rounds you barely used any, got better later matches and you did much better.
-Careful on the use of slide.
-I believe Bison's wakeup is his teleport (don't know if that's true), but I think it could of got you out of some crossup situations.
Thanks for the tips.

Let me say that 80% of the time I did the slide, that was either me trying to scissor kick or head stomp. :lol

Towards the end I did start to realize I had to rush you down. I'm still trying to find the balance of rushing and turtling.

MIMIC

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Why does Guiles Ultra have to be so weak? For a move so hard to pull off you'd think it would do a lot more damage.

Yeah. Guile is my main and I use his Ultra makes me sad =|

Guled

JSnake said:
Just wondering but does Capcom plan on supporting this game post-launch with patches that have stuff like balance tweaks or game fixes?
yes, there is a championship patch coming out that adds new online modes and replays

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Threi said:
Question for people with a fightpad:

Before i continue using it i want to know which is a better way to hold it:

either a) like a regular pad with my thumb on the face buttons, or b) with my thumb on the underside and all my fingers on the face buttons.

with b) i figure i will be able to input commands quicker, but i lose the ability to hit the shoulder buttons.
It's going to probably break soon, the pad fucks up after alot of use so I think I'm going back to the DS3. What a waste.

For those losing, if people are playing the same kind of folks I'm playing in ranked, learn how to play defensive and punish people. For example against the thousands of Ken's online right now get them on the wake of, block the inevitable shoryuken and hit them with the best combo/command grab/super/ultra when they're on the way down. When they finally stop with their special wake ups, waking up with block, normals or walking back keep close when they're getting off the floor and go for the grab.

Seriously, a whole lot of folks are really, really fucking terrible at the game and whilst they're strats might seem overpowered at first as long as you're willing to learn you'll be able to overcome them, because a whole heap of them really don't ever want to change the way they play.

sprocket said:
why is it down and back doesn't block somethings while crouch while just hold back after crouching does?

If you're ever hit when you're crouching when your opponent's standing it's because they're using overhead attacks, standing attacks that will brake low blocks but can't get past high blocks. Examples would be Ryu's or Akuma's forwards mid-punch (the animation show them thrusting downwards) and specials like Abel's wheel kick.

Threi

notag
pelicansurf said:
It's going to probably break soon, the pad fucks up after alot of use so I think I'm going back to the DS3. What a waste.
how soon do you think it takes to break?

about 20 minutes or so?

sprocket

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Maybe you accidently pressed a button input to start an attack?

I dunno...

nope been doing research. gone from 1000 br to 300( probably shouldnt have done ranked matches :p) trying ot find pout what overtakes what. and only way to block and dragon punch is to instantly hold back if crouching not down back.

Ferrio

Banned
sprocket said:
nope been doing research. gone from 1000 br to 300( probably shouldnt have done ranked matches :p) trying ot find pout what overtakes what. and only way to block and dragon punch is to instantly hold back if crouching not down back.

DownBack 100% blocks dragon punches. Don't know what you're talking about.

Today was a pretty sh*tty day for me with this game... I wanted to give ranked matches a try this morning, but after 5 or 6 straight losses to Akuma players (Akuma replaced Ken as the shoto of choice I guess), I was feeling pretty demoralized. To make matters worse my fightpad started screwing up; the down button kept getting stuck, the inputs were lagging, I kept having to reset it; so, I had to switch back to the DS3. F*cking MadCatz piece of sh*t... that was $40 well spent. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, I guess I just stopped caring. But I didn't stop playing, and oh what a mistake that was. Some matches I tried, and a couple I ended up winning (a couple being TWO); but the rest of the time I either gave up, stood there, or jumped around avoiding fireballs and waiting to see if the shotos would get a hint.

My win ratio now is 17%. :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm liking Blanka more, but only because I can play him half decently and win every once in awhile. My Boxer is TERRIBLE but I want to play him oh so badly. :(

sprocket said:
not with fie long.

doesnt matter im switching to dan anyway! :D

Even with Long, you're honestly putting in the wrong command or your controller is messed up a little. I also really wouldn't recommend Dan for somebody starting up at this game, I'd recommend playing Ryu until you get the hang of how to play a shoto. Then you still need to take into account that Dan has a nigh' useless fireball/zoning game.

sprocket

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Even with Long, you're honestly putting in the wrong command or your controller is messed up a little. I also really wouldn't recommend Dan for somebody starting up at this game, I'd recommend playing Ryu until you get the hang of how to play a shoto. Then you still need to take into account that Dan has a nigh' useless fireball/zoning game.

i can play ryu really well. but i just hate to play one of the 3 cheezemo shotos.

Foxix Von

-COOLIO- said:
has anyone ever seen a green ping online?

the online is top notch no matter the ping but ive never seen a green

I've never seen any ping at all:lol Any time I go to search for matches all of network icons just stay there blinking, and 90% of the time they join one of my games it's pretty much the same... occasionally they will be yellow. I've never seen green though, even when playing my co-workers:lol

VQ

negitoro7

Has anyone gotten confirmation (or delivery) yet for the Mad Catz wall scroll they're giving out for those whose TE sticks were delayed at Gamestop?

Got "Ultra Combo Champion". "10 Years Too Early" and "The Road to Battle" achievements tonight. :D

Got to like 1165 in BP then just played some casual player matches. Had some great matches, and I agree with what was posted earlier about people experimenting more and choosing different characters. The new outfits are awesome to, Rose's alternate looks sweet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Arde5643 said:
Sorry, Capcom did almost everything they could to nerf Guile as badly as possible - weak damage from Sonic Boom, crappy no priority bad recovery flash kick, no new moves, weak ultra in both damage and priority, no way to combo ultra from a juggle.
And probably some more.
You can combo the ultra from the super, but it does shit damage.

And Guile has indeed been nerfed heavily. He doesn't even have decent throw damage anymore. I'm still going to use him though. Using him will teach you to be patient.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ok so i just had a match where i blocked pretty much all of kens shoryukens and countered and he beat me purely because he linked one of them with an ultra *which i also blocked*

so because i countered every single one except 1 or 2 i lose. maybe i need to dole out better punishment then a throw? its the only thing that feals safe lest they shoryuken again though : \

-COOLIO- said:
ok so i just had a match where i blocked pretty much all of kens shoryukens and countered and he beat me purely because he linked one of them with an ultra *which i also blocked*

so because i countered every single one except 1 or 2 i lose. maybe i need to dole out better punishment then a throw? its the only thing that feals safe lest they shoryuken again though : \

Which character are you using? You should certainly going for kara combos instead of throws to punish shoryukens.

Volcynika

Antdogg355 said:
Really? What was wrong with it?

Worked fine for hours on end, then suddenly, the pad seems like it's forever pushed down, and I just sit there crouching without really being able to move. I can get it to work, but just a few minutes later, it's back to doing that. It's really annoying and breaks up my matches. Not sure if I want to attempt to fix it myself or deal with customer support.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Spirit of Jazz said:
Which character are you using? You should certainly going for kara combos instead of throws to punish shoryukens.
i dont even know what a kara is. im viper. you mean a special throw?

Volcynika said:
Worked fine for hours on end, then suddenly, the pad seems like it's forever pushed down, and I just sit there crouching without really being able to move. I can get it to work, but just a few minutes later, it's back to doing that. It's really annoying and breaks up my matches. Not sure if I want to attempt to fix it myself or deal with customer support.

Damn that sucks. I was thinking about picking one up for my friends, but not if there are going to be issues with it like that.

sprocket said:
What kind of controller are you using? Sounds like you're holding db, but the controller is registering as down, only.

Try this: Select Guile, and charge db, for his sonic boom. If you can't execute his sonic boom, this way, then you're not really pressing db, but just down. If your using a Mad Catz pad, other users have stated having to press harder for the diagonals to register.

-PXG-

Threi said:
popped it in again, and im losing against the shittiest of players now.

I am seriously completely discouraged to play this game now.

20 fucking
minutes.

if i didn't have to return it i would have really thrown it full force at a wall by now.

*edit*

i should stop playing now. Every unreconized input is tempting me to fucking break my regular 360 pad in half.

I felt your pain. Keep your head up.

LordK

-COOLIO- said:
andcan anyone do vipers super jump with a pad : (((

i bitch a lot i know : (((

I think it's pretty easy. But I've been using pads forever. I can FADC just fine (into ultras as well as mid combo)... do the trials... etc. In the event that I screw up in trial and other weird things, it's because I just screwed up, haha.

Sandman42

My night was up and down.

It started off well, I first ran into yet another Ken player. Thinking it was going to be fairly easy, I lost the first round. However, the next three rounds I countered his dragon punch every time and won. To me, this guy seemed like another shoto-scrub. But when the match was over, I saw he had over 4000 BP!

I was sitting there in awe, 4000 BP? This guy was horrible, and actually followed the Ken flowchart almost exactly. Even using a dragon punch when I was nowhere near him.:lol

Shortly after that, I was faced with an onslaught of Ken players who seemed to have my number. I played about 12 matches and won 4.

Luckily for me, the night finished well as I beat 4 or 5 good Sagat players with my Abel. I even managed to beat a Blanka turtle, and I had a Zangief ragequit on me.

Volcynika said:

Can't they get anything right!? Sicks and pads busted.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
copybeaver said:
I think it's pretty easy. But I've been using pads forever. I can FADC just fine (into ultras as well as mid combo)... do the trials... etc. In the event that I screw up in trial and other weird things, it's because I just screwed up, haha.
with a pad? thats inspiring

Top Bottom