• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Nameless

shuri said:
I love the idiots who complain about people using ken all the time. Where you guys even around back in the sf2 arcade days where it was exactly like that? It's like you guys try too hard to be cool to hate on shotokans when there are like 5 of them in the roaster.

Ken And Ryu are the most iconic and popular fighters in the franchise, and they happen to be easy to learn so they are going to be the most used.

If you like to pretend that you are so hardcore and deep in the scene, you will have no problem at all destroying those 'fireball spammers' in two quicks 15 seconds rounds and move on to someone else

So many poseurs in here, I feel like at a Radiohead concert.

disclaimer: i hit random select on every match.

I don't think word "cool" has ever been directed towards not using shotokan characters in a SF game. You state yourself that shoto-spamming is nothing new, well neither is the complaining. It is unfair, though, to group everyone as noobz111 who can't beat average Ken or Ryu. I was pretty fuckin decent with Ken at back in the day, but stopped using him(and Ryu) just because of the sheer volume of players who were doing the same(and because I stopped discriminating on Cammy's lack of a projectile)

Is it so hard to believe that people were excited in the thought that online play would allow for them hone their favorite player against a wide variety of talent levels and characters, and the fact that 80% of people just (mis)use two characters in an online mode that's half broken to begin with, might be little disappointing. Especially considering how flipping amazing the core game is?

But I'm an SNK guy at heart. I only wish the SNK vs Cap games had been online. My Terry would've retired a lot of people from using shotos.

andymcc

Banned
i rarely get people that talk in ranked, only whenever they get pissed and d/c. which has been happening with great frequency. i'm sorry that you don't know how to block viper's seismic hammer and it's really funny to spam cuz you were planning on doing that with a hadoken anyway. :lol

Facism

Any tips for taking on AI Zangief? He seems awfully cheap in the face of my below-average usage of C. Viper. Try to jump out of a corner right into a spinning lariat that seems to have no way of being interupted :lol

Chorazin

I realized last night that there is pretylty much no reason to play Ranked matches at my current skill level. It's more frustrating than fun.

Nameless

Facism said:
Any tips for taking on AI Zangief? He seems awfully cheap in the face of my below-average usage of C. Viper. Try to jump out of a corner right into a spinning lariat that seems to have no way of being interupted :lol

My friend and I spent a couple of hours going through Arcade mode on hardest. Zangief really didn't give me many problems, but Abel almost made me break this planet. What a cheap ass motherfucker.

I now am approaching 80 hours of game time in SF4.. and I still suck.

I need to play against some people tonight with my horrible horrible Dhalsim..

I don't have fast enough reactions it feels.. though I just discovered that his Back + MK is freaking fast and annoyingly awesome.

Facism

Nameless said:
My friend and I spent a couple of hours going through Arcade mode on hardest. Zangief really didn't give me many problems, but Abel almost made me break this planet. What a cheap ass motherfucker.

Forgot Abel. Dirty fucker with those rolls and grabs.

Facism

LiK said:
Abel, Zangief and Seth AI = throws throws throws

yes. I've still not managed to to a throw escape yet, my timing is apparently appalling :lol

You know a games got some good pedigree when it can frustrate and anger you so much but you'll still play it.

Facism said:
yes. I've still not managed to to a throw escape yet, my timing is apparently appalling :lol

You know a games got some good pedigree when it can frustrate and anger you so much but you'll still play it.
Playing a different game? You can do 'throw escapes'?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Nameless said:
But I'm an SNK guy at heart. I only wish the SNK vs Cap games had been online. My Terry would've retired a lot of people from using shotos.

I thought it was on the old Xbox?

Mutombo

FFS. I PREordered the game at play.com so I wouldn't have issues finding it on the streets (you can buy it for 360 but its sold out for ps3 everywhere here). I received a 'your item has been shipped mail' but so far have not received a SF4 yet. While I did receive my other orders, which I've orderd AFTER the confirmation email.

Dang. And you're not allowed to notify them within a month delay. Thanks play.com - where did my copy go?

LiK

Facism said:

i know, i just kept retrying again and again. i was in for some major ass-kicking from the AI. "just one more time!" but it made me pretty good at dodging throws from Gief users online. i met a few and they couldn't grab me. the guy ended up spamming the Green Hand of Doom at me. that fucked me up. :lol

LiK said:
i know, i just kept retrying again and again. i was in for some major ass-kicking from the AI. "just one more time!" but it made me pretty good at dodging throws from Gief users online. i met a few and they couldn't grab me. the guy ended up spamming the Green Hand of Doom at me. that fucked me up. :lol
haunts brought this up earlier:
blocked green hand = free throw opportunity for you

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lawblob said:
Wut? :lol

Why can't I play against people like that?

xbl is full of loonies

I only talk to my friends otherwise I'll plug in the mic and put it on mute.

people are more professional in street fighter, I remember playing soul calibur iv and that was very annoying.

LiK

_dementia said:
haunts brought this up earlier:
blocked green hand = free throw opportunity for you

yea, i tried haunts' suggestion actually. but that guy was spamming REALLY fast. i'll need to work on that.

Seth is easier to beat in best of 3 rounds fight than just single rounds

in best of 3 fights, he will be easy in round 1 with barely any special but then goes berserk in round 2.

in single 1 round fights, Seth goes directly to berserk mode.

I advise people to use best of 3 fights in Arcade mode. in Round 1, use no EXs, use no Supers, if you get an Ultra use the Utlra insted.
Then in Round 2, you got a full Super bar with EXs are your disposal... remain in medium range and block him and counter react against him after blocking his shit

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Friend showed me this fixed Ken flowchart, obviously for XBL:

kenchart2.PNG

Rektash

Blergh. Just played a Sagat player with my usual Sakura main. Lost badly than changed myself to Sagat which I played about 4 rounds before in SF IV and won. That is balance,...

Zoe

I had my first experience with a 360 D-pad yesterday. Ouch :x

Are you guys on the 360 using the D-pad or the stick?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Neiteio said:
Does anyone have a capture card? I need that shot of Blanka riding a white whale as my PS3 wallpaper. "Mama!" :lol :lol :lol

Damn I need to pass the game as blanka, his ending was funny in ssf2hd remix

He's my main in multiplayer but never use him in arcade

Kildace

Zoe said:

DPad. I started out with the DPad, couldn't stand it and switched to the stick but after a while I went back to the DPad and, even though it's far from satisfactory, it feels better than the stick to me after ~10 hours or so. Especially for charge characters (I don't play shotos).
It does take a lot of adjusting to though.

Osaka said:
Friend showed me this fixed Ken flowchart, obviously for XBL:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/diablosk/kenchart2.PNG[img][/QUOTE]

A friend had 'SHORYUKEN!!' as his away message so I asked him if he was on PSN. He told me he was on 360 and that he is awful and just follows the flowchart (he sent the unrevised edition).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Rektash said:
Blergh. Just played a Sagat player with my usual Sakura main. Lost badly than changed myself to Sagat which I played about 4 rounds before in SF IV and won. That is balance,...

same opponent? I've face plenty of good Sakura players.

Teknoman

Zoe said:

MISC_MadCatz_X360_SFIV_Pad_Blanka_ProductImage.jpg

Seriously, if you're used to pads, thats the best way to enjoy the 360 version.

Neiteio

ChrisGoldstein said:
Damn I need to pass the game as blanka, his ending was funny in ssf2hd remix

He's my main in multiplayer but never use him in arcade
It's adorable. The poor lug just loves his mama and is so ashamed of embarassing her that he hops on a white whale and sails the ocean doing his "street fights." The shot of him flying through the air on a whale needs to be wallpaper!

Thanks to Haunt's Sagat video guide I was mopping the floor with scrubs last night. That EX tiger uppercut into the ultra is absolutely brutal. And it's not just the massive damage dealt, it also seems to completely demoralize your opponent. I love Guile, but he just cannot hang with the upper tier characters.

TimeKillr said:
QFT. Pisses me off when it takes 20 seconds to start a fight as opposed to 2. :(

Are players without the game installed really that abundant? That sucks. But to be fair, the install option is hidden fairly deeply in the options menu. Whenever you connect to an online game you should be reminded to install the game if you have already not done so, or you should be required to install the game.

Threi

notag
Zoe said:

Started with D-Pad, thought it was crappy but manageable, went to fightpad (which has a decent but not outstanding D-Pad), fightpad broke (in 20 minutes!), went back to 360 D-pad, and is absolute crap.

I'm contemplating getting a stick but i highly doubt that there is any available for under $50 in Canada.

Teknoman said:
MISC_MadCatz_X360_SFIV_Pad_Blanka_ProductImage.jpg

Seriously, if you're used to pads, thats the best way to enjoy the 360 version.
I received mine from EB, the same one as in your picture for 360 (Blanka FTW)

I tested it out, it is better than any of the pad controllers on the 360,
but it is NOT better than Saturns

Saturn is still king

the MadCatz SF4 controller's buttons are clackity and the D-Pad is a tad too floaty and way more loose than the Saturn's... the D-Pad's biggest flaw is in the Up, Up-Left and Up-Right directions.

I bought this pad so I can play XBLA classic games and it plays VF5 rather well too as well

LiK

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Thanks to Haunt's Sagat video guide I was mopping the floor with scrubs last night. That EX tiger uppercut into the ultra is absolutely brutal. And it's not just the massive damage dealt, it also seems to completely demoralize your opponent. I love Guile, but he just cannot hang with the upper tier characters.

haunts, do Gouken video next!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Zoe said:

I'm still pissed that my TE isn't here yet, but I'm using the stick. Over 2000 BPs with just the stick :D. Can't wait until I get the TE and can play for real. This is the first fighting game I've taken seriously, I'm pretty pleased with how far I've progressed in just about 8 hours.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SuperEnemyCrab said:

haha awesome! glad you were landing it.. I had problems doing it when I first started playing 'gat

when I land c.lk x2 c.lp xx tiger uppercut xx fadc xx f+rh into ultra on someone online its the same thing. i think 90 percent of the ppl playing have never seen a combo like that. haha

Rektash

levious said:
same opponent? I've face plenty of good Sakura players.

Same opponent.

Sakura might be nice at first glance but she totally lacks a good wakeup move (her shoryuken sucks for a wakeup because it goes forward) and has some HORRIBLE matchups like Blanka, Gief, Honda, etc. and like everyone the allmighty overpowered Sagat.
Sakura has horrible HP btw. A good Sagat needs 3 chances to completly kill her.

Dizzy-4U

Zoe said:

I'm using the 360 d-pad for now till my TE stick arrives. My execution at first was like 30% which is pretty bad. Now it's at 60% (probably because it's more soften now) which it's still pretty bad...

I'm almost done with Rose's trials, only the last two in hard mode are missing. It's a really pain in the ass to cancel a focus with dash on the d-pad.

I also tried a lot of button configuration and ended up playing with the default one.

Top Bottom