• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
had some fun matches last night (the last I can play until I get back into town on Monday night :( :( :( :( ):

-Ken fodder, yawn
-One Ryu actually beat me despite his predictable set ups. I got caught one round with his zone game, and the next round I fucked up and got aggressive EVEN THOUGH I KNEW he was going to throw out that Shoryuken on wake up. That fight left a bad taste in my mouth... I wanted to rematch him but someone else fight req'd me.
-Fought a 'Geif who just couldn't handle the majesty of my EX Flash Kicks.
-Fought against my first Gen and got beat, but I think I can handle him going forward. Need to stop jumping into those weird air kicks... Jumped over his ultra/super like 5 times though :lol

-Fought a Cammy and got my ass beat, as usual. I need to play against more decent Cammy's... If anyone has a 360 and mains Cammy and wants to beat up on a Guile for a while, add my tag: 'cool calm jon'.

GrayFoxPL

_dementia said:
And online, my opponents always wait for me to pick my character and just hover around every other character and end up choosing Ken everytime like they know what they're doing.

no, yes

I hear you. Same here.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
You know, I don't know why there is this hate about choosing Ken. I've been playing SF on and off since the original Street Fighter 2 (while Street Fighter was still in the arcade) and I've just simply always played Ken/Ryu.

I have never been in an online match yet where somebody didn't choose Ken or Akuma, whatever. I'm not good enough at the game to start experimenting and want to get rid of my lame icons and tags, I'll play with whoever I have a slight chance of winning with thanks. :lol

It's not the Ken hate. Hell I'd like to pick Ken online just once! But I won't. He's not even much of a threat, it's just we're sick of seeing him! There are 20+ characters and you end up facing the same guy over and over. It's vomit inducting.

But' I'll be honest here. I didn't meet as many Kens as other say they did. But I didn't play much in ranked and on player matches the gamers dont care so much about their e-dicks and don't play so safe.

Fuck online - I just had 10 ranked matches, 3 were Sagat, 3 were Ken, 2 were Ryu & the final 2 were Akuma, all 10 players did nothing but spam fireballs, uppercut, sweep & throw their way to victory. I've been exclusively using Fei Long, got my BP up to 1400 and I felt like i'd been making real improvement, but then I get a run of shit matches like the ones above and all my good work goes to shit in the face of cheap shoto/sagat tactics. Now i'm back down to around 700 BP and have smashed my DS3 into a thousand pieces, so fuck this - nothing is worth the stress i'm incurring from this game and the cheap fucking fireball throwing assholes that populate ranked battles.

LiK

jon bones said:
-Fought a Cammy and got my ass beat, as usual. I need to play against more decent Cammy's... If anyone has a 360 and mains Cammy and wants to beat up on a Guile for a while, add my tag: 'cool calm jon'.

i met a good Cammy player as well. got my ass kicked too. i dont see them often enough to get a good grasp on how to deal with them either.

Barrett2

General strategy question. I often get into trouble when I try to close the gap in distance with the other player. As Abel, I need to get better at closing the distance. It seems like I can't figure out how to effectively block. If I do a crouching block I get an elbow to the head, if I do a standing block I get a leg sweep. Is there some general strategy I am missing about standing in close proximity to the other player and not getting pecked to death? Im' trying to get quicker with my throws, and thats working, but I still have a hard time effectively blocking.

Threi

notag
There aren't any sticks that are $49.99 in Canada, is there?

I'm going to return my broken fightpad after i finish up classes but i want to know if i should just trade it for a stick.

Also: after my suckfest last night I want to start a fresh owning streak with a new pad/stick as abel. Ground/Charge chars i have no problem against, but what about the hop-crazy shotoscrubs? Air grab and crouching HP don't have as much priority as jumping HK, CoD takes too long to come out in that situation.

lawblob said:
General strategy question. I often get into trouble when I try to close the gap in distance with the other player. As Abel, I need to get better at closing the distance. It seems like I can't figure out how to effectively block. If I do a crouching block I get an elbow to the head, if I do a standing block I get a leg sweep. Is there some general strategy I am missing about standing in close proximity to the other player and not getting pecked to death? Im' trying to get quicker with my throws, and thats working, but I still have a hard time effectively blocking.
I have noticed that Abel is best when you are not right beside the char. His grab has suprisingly good range, and his low kicks extend a fair bit out. FP CoD covers a fair bit of distance as well. I would say to stay around medium range and don't stay too close, and if you are close use HK roll.

ShinAmano

jon bones said:
-One Ryu actually beat me despite his predictable set ups. I got caught one round with his zone game, and the next round I fucked up and got aggressive EVEN THOUGH I KNEW he was going to throw out that Shoryuken on wake up. That fight left a bad taste in my mouth... I wanted to rematch him but someone else fight req'd me.
]
Sounds like two matches I had...I lost 5 games last night...by far the most ever. I always go random...so sometimes I get character I cant use very well...

LiK

ShinAmano said:
Sounds like two matches I had...I lost 5 games last night...by far the most ever. I always go random...so sometimes I get character I cant use very well...

whoa random eh?

lawblob said:

Abel's grabs are so quick I just try to perform a Marseilles Roll and throw before getting hit usually.

_dementia said:
you must make some SF4 tutorial vids in the same vein as you NGII ones :lol
NG2 is a much more dynamic game that allows for more awesome tutorial opportunities. I guess I could make a tutorial on proper griefing techniques with Akuma, M.Bison and Dan.

I feel like once I really start using Dhalsim, he could be a solid griefer character as well.

But honestly, this game would be twice as fun with a legit grass stage like the opening Ken vs. Ryu fight.

iam220

lawblob said:

I block down since sweeps are much more common then overhead. If I anticipate an overhead or thorw I go for a low a light kick to disturb it. Abel has a very good low med punch. Try using that to poke.

Cafeman

I've been trying out SFIV for 360 on xbox live for a few days now. If I go into Ranked matches and see some gamers, it ALWAYS tells me the match is full already. So I just go and create my own match and someone else joins. Am I getting beaten by other gamers selecting those other matches ahead of me or what is going on??

I've been playing 100% as Blanka. I was winning lots until last night, where it seemed everybody was whipping me. I didn't mind losing because its still very very fun, and I'm still trying to pull off moves with the Xbox controller - I usually jump inadvertently trying to pull off the F-B-F+trigger move, ARGH.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
God's Beard said:
I really want a grass stage :-(

HELL YES.

It's gotta be coming with DLC. I remember Ono talking about how he loved the grassy field in the opening fight in SF the animated Movie. Thats all I want really... The chance to playout Ryu vs Sagat on that stormy, grassy field.

iam220

So I've noticed that in player data your win percentage is a combination of ranked and player matches ... which is kind of silly.

Threi

notag
Cafeman said:
I've been trying out SFIV for 360 on xbox live for a few days now. If I go into Ranked matches and see some gamers, it ALWAYS tells me the match is full already. So I just go and create my own match and someone else joins. Am I getting beaten by other gamers selecting those other matches ahead of me or what is going on??

I've been playing 100% as Blanka. I was winning lots until last night, where it seemed everybody was whipping me. I didn't mind losing because its still very very fun, and I'm still trying to pull off moves with the Xbox controller - I usually jump inadvertently trying to pull off the F-B-F+trigger move, ARGH.
I don't usually like blaming the controller, but using the fightpad briefly made me realize that the 360 dpad is absolute horseshit. That is what you get when these companies spend all their time appealing to shooter and racing fans.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One more system question: when it comes to linking a second normal attack off of certain normals, such as the first hit of Akuma's st.HK into cr.LK, I take it you FADC after the first hit of the st.HK for instance? (This is what I'm trying, timing seems very tight to give the cr.LK to connect.)

iam220

Threi said:
I don't usually like blaming the controller, but using the fightpad briefly made me realize that the 360 dpad is absolute horseshit. That is what you get when these companies spend all their time appealing to shooter and racing fans.

The analog stick more then makes up for the shitty d-pad on the 360. Have you tried using that?

Cafeman

Sometimes I used the analog stick to pull off an Ultra because I CANNOT get the DPAD control down. Its very sensitive to diagonals.

diffusionx

Gold Member
ScrabbleBanshee said:
You know, I don't know why there is this hate about choosing Ken. I've been playing SF on and off since the original Street Fighter 2 (while Street Fighter was still in the arcade) and I've just simply always played Ken/Ryu.

The thing that bugs me is that people wait. Like they think they are being cute or strategic or some shit. I go right to my character, they wait until I choose, then another 10 seconds, then cycle over to Ken. And then, 9 times out of 10, they didn't install the game, so its another longer fucking wait. I was never a big time arcade dude, is this the type of bullshit that went on?

I will say this! Last night was the first night I did NOT play a Ken. Which was kind of cool but I was looking forward to testing out some blocking strategies. But whatever.

Threi

notag
iam220 said:
The analog stick more then makes up for the shitty d-pad on the 360. Have you tried using that?
yes. I personally find it awkward as hell.

Im just hoping that my fightpad was just defective and this isn't a common problem.

CcrooK said:
I think I figured out my pair. Dictator and Boxer. Such a mean duo. Goodness.
weak. You gotta have one of every playstyle.

My shoto: Im leaning towards Ryu lately, Akuma takes too much DMG
My charge char: Dictator, easily
My ground char/grappler: mothafuckin ABEL
My girl char: Viper
My joke char: Rufus

ShinAmano

Router said:
HELL YES.

It's gotta be coming with DLC. I remember Ono talking about how he loved the grassy field in the opening fight in SF the animated Movie. Thats all I want really... The chance to playout Ryu vs Sagat on that stormy, grassy field.
This is a necessity...and there better be crazy wind and lightning...along with an ominous moon...I would also like to see Ryu, Ken and Sagats original stages made.

Zapages

ShinAmano said:
This is a necessity...and there better be crazy wind and lightning...along with an ominous moon...I would also like to see Ryu, Ken and Sagats original stages made.

The street fighter alpha 2 stage? Right???

1100209736.jpg

LiK

i wish there was a way to set the stage music to the remix versions of the original SFII music. it seems like you only hear it during the Rival stage in Arcade mode. they sound 10x better than the default shit.

bhytre

http://i43.tinypic.com/29zo5dy.jpg
40 hours worth of unlocking stuff, completing challenges and online fights down the drain. It seems battle points will be gone as well once I make a new save file from what I read of others that had the same thing happen. Why aren't those BPs tracked online anyway?
Is there any way to recover or fix these corrupted saves?

Threi

notag
It really pisses me off how people act like they don't know who to choose.

Everyone and their fucking mom knows you are gunna pick ken, ryu, akuma, or sagat. Stop acting like an idiot.

I prefer people who just bolt for Ken over people who dance around the char select screen like they are trying to intimidate anyone.

LowParry

Threi said:

My shoto: Im leaning towards Ryu lately, Akuma takes too much DMG
My charge char: Dictator, easily
My ground char/grappler: mothafuckin ABEL
My girl char: Viper
My joke char: Rufus

Hrm. I think you underestimate the two play styles of Boxer and Dictator. They're entirely different.

Barrett2

Thanks for the Abel blocking tips. Looks like I need to crouch-block more to defend against leg sweeps, and use Marseilles to close the gap to go into throws.

The problem I have with Marseilles to close the gap is that I always get Shoryuken'ed in the face when I do it. What is the best way to come out of my Marseilles roll?

Zapages

No_Style said:
Epic. Mentioned this earlier when talking about DLC stuff. Hell, they should just remake all the SFA2 stages. Some of the best in the franchise.

Remember Gen's stage with the alley way and reflective water? Or Sakura's with the kid in the background playing as one the characters? Memories...

Oh yes, definitely on those two stages...

I think the kids jumping around under the bridge is like Sakura's stage for now...

Dan's stage was good too...

Rolento's stage was really cool...

Ken's party stage was nice as well...

PS: I own the PC version of SF Zero 2... Awesome on the PC as well aka sound quality wise. :)

diffusionx

Gold Member
iam220 said:
To me, that's an indication that there's a 99% chance that I'm going to win that fight. :D

I wish it were so, for me, but I'm not that good yet.

Threi said:

Bleh. No use trying to learn 6 different characters if I am not even good at one of them. Chun Li is my main character, I like Sakura but I have barely used her. And is "girl" a playstyle?

LiK

Threi said:
It really pisses me off how people act like they don't know who to choose.

Everyone and their fucking mom knows you are gunna pick ken, ryu, akuma, or sagat. Stop acting like an idiot.

I prefer people who just bolt for Ken over people who dance around the char select screen like they are trying to intimidate anyone.

yea, that's my biggest complaint. just choose your main dude and get on with it. it's even lamer when they just sit on the chara select screen and not move until the last 5 seconds. i know they're there cuz they had to confirm the match to get to the chara select screen.

Struct09

bhytre said:
http://i43.tinypic.com/29zo5dy.jpg
40 hours worth of unlocking stuff, completing challenges and online fights down the drain. It seems battle points will be gone as well once I make a new save file from what I read of others that had the same thing happen. Why aren't those BPs tracked online anyway?
Is there any way to recover or fix these corrupted saves?

Yikes, which platform?

Hugbot

jon bones said:
had some fun matches last night (the last I can play until I get back into town on Monday night :( :( :( :( ):

-Ken fodder, yawn
-Fought against my first Gen and got beat, but I think I can handle him going forward. Need to stop jumping into those weird air kicks... Jumped over his ultra/super like 5 times though :lol

If you fought a Zangief whose entire last round was flexing, that was me. I was entirely outclassed. I had no idea how to even approach you, everything I tried seemed to get me killed. So, flex.

Speaking of, Zangief's fourth hard challenge is giving me no end of fits. I can reliably get off everything, but the banishing flat keeps getting blocked. What's even worse is that I've seen videos of his fifth stage and I can get that combo off on occasion, so that stupid green hand is the only thing standing between me and sweet, sweet victory.

Threi

notag
diffusionx said:
And is "girl" a playstyle?
yes

lawblob said:
Thanks for the Abel blocking tips. Looks like I need to crouch-block more to defend against leg sweeps, and use Marseilles to close the gap to go into throws.

The problem I have with Marseilles to close the gap is that I always get Shoryuken'ed in the face when I do it. What is the best way to come out of my Marseilles roll?
another roll :p

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
:( I need an anti sagat tactic for my balrog. I get creamed by tiger shots all the time. they come out so fast that I can't seem to recover from a headbutt before the next one hits me :( heeeelp...

zoukka

I just heard the title music on youtube (my copy still hasn't arrived)... so bad D:

How can I make my drawing resemble more like Sagat? What are the key points of his look?

viivapotku.jpg

Crateman

Last night one of my friends joined me for a SF IV night. It was his first time with IV and, knowing he's a shoto scrub, I polished my Gouken abilities.

Basically, I had 5-6 rounds of studying his patters, then... well, I'll quote him:

"WTF?!? Why does Goeken go through my Hadoukens!!"
"Why I can't block on the air!!"
"I fucking hit you! The punch went right through and then you kicked me!!"
"WTF was that!! A diagonal Hadouken!!?

and my favorite

"FUCK YOU! I pulled my Ultra before you!! There's no way you could have hit me with the Shin Shoryuken!"

I <3 Gouken

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Brobzoid said:
:( I need an anti sagat tactic for my balrog. I get creamed by tiger shots all the time. they come out so fast that I can't seem to recover from a headbutt before the next one hits me :( heeeelp...

dashing and turn punch?

shuri

Banned
I love the idiots who complain about people using ken all the time. Where you guys even around back in the sf2 arcade days where it was exactly like that? It's like you guys try too hard to be cool to hate on shotokans when there are like 5 of them in the roaster.

Ken And Ryu are the most iconic and popular fighters in the franchise, and they happen to be easy to learn so they are going to be the most used.

If you like to pretend that you are so hardcore and deep in the scene, you will have no problem at all destroying those 'fireball spammers' in two quicks 15 seconds rounds and move on to someone else

So many poseurs in here, I feel like at a Radiohead concert.

disclaimer: i hit random select on every match.

Top Bottom