• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LiK

MoxManiac said:
I think the BP system is fine, but obviously it can be 'cheated' doing this.

That said, I recall Seth Killian saying disconnectors would be punished. I think he needs to be called out for this, because currently this does not appear to be the case.

they should. maybe rape them 100BP points for each disconnect. so they stop purposely disconnecting or get better connections before they play.

Barrett2

edit: wrong person.

I just sent you another invite. Sorry my connection crapped out, its been happening ever since I got a new router. It sucks. -_-

Barrett2

Tobiasboon said:
Dude, you were playing me. :)

Whoops. :lol

Anyways, yeah, sorry my connection dropped, every 40 minutes or so it signs me out & immediately signs me back in to PSN. If you're still available, I am definitely game to keep playing. This is the kind of practice I need.

And please let me know of any mistakes I was making or things I should correct. Im' serious, any advice is welcome.

Sectus

C- Warrior said:
I've seen your videos and you're a competent player.

A few suggestions: you need to bait players upon their wake-ups more often, a good way to do this is to jab around while their getting up, and of course stopping when they get up. Throw them after they land from there dragonpunch, headbutt, flashkick, etc. etc. etc. Then, start baiting with FA dash cancels. Once you've trained them not to do wake-ups, simply throw them when they get up. Most players who usually do wake-ups don't know a good defense when they just get-up regularly. also use more ex fireballs as opposed to her 'hurricane kick' -- only use her EX hurricane kick when you're ready to follow up with her ultra afterwards.

PS: Wake-ups are reversals people do the moment they get off the ground after being hit (i.e, the infamous Ken shoryuken off the ground)

Another thing, is that when you're doing a FA -- release it immediately after your absorb the first attack (there is no need to continue to charge after so) -- the reason being is that when players break your initial FA armor, they start mashing the next immediate attack button, so if you release your FA immediately after the first attack, you'll get a counter-crumple. Quickly dash out of it and perform Sakura's Ultra. This is a fine strategy since Sakura's FA has great horizontal range.
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm handling wakeups a bit better now. And I'm barely trying my hands on a few simple combos. There's some stuff I haven't been able to do at all though, like connect ultra from EX hurricane kick, I always miss with that.

I'm finding canceling into charge moves to be too precise to do compared to 'the old days', any tips on executing them?

Actually charge moves in general can be tough for me at times...sometimes I execute Chun Li's kikoken and miss during a 'shootout', only to have a fireball smacked right into my face :lol

With charge back -> forward special moves in SF4, does the forward move strictly have to be forward, or can you get away with down-forward (I like in the old SF2 arcade games how it's called 'offensive crouch' =P)? Or with any charge moves in general, can you get away with diagonals in the forward or up movements?

Baker

Banned
SoulFist said:
With the Change of direction, I can get the first QCF easily, but I can't get the timing right for the other two.I'm thinking I might be doing something wrong with the motion...Hmm.

There is no timing. Just hold forward the entire time and hit P or K as many times as your fingers will allow.

If you use K as the last hit, it won't be part of the combo, so you can get attacked before it. However, if you're playing someone who just automatically normal blocks the entire combo, hitting them with the low grab at the end is awesome.

As for not connecting with CoD in the first place: It's not really an opening offensive move. The best time to use it is after a low punch (so it's part of a combo) or on opponent wake up. It's so dickishly satisfying to knock someone down, get about 3 inches away, then go into the CoD right as they're standing up. Just remember you'll need to fool shoto players into not doing shoryukens on rise before that will work on them.

GrayFoxPL

TurtleSnatcher said:
270 and 540.

It's only 225 for 360 and I'm not sure about 720.

Had another bad day, well almost. Was better with Abel, but not good enough to win. My Gen totally sucks, I don't know why I keep on trying.

I had an insane, exahusting 5r match Abel vs El Fuerte. The guy already had alternative costume. It was crazy, fuerte was flying all over the screen like a mosquito on coke. I only had like 4 command throws the entire match. That body splash attack that has insane recovery time, so I couldn't touch him. Only thing that saved my ass was the wheel kicks. That was the only thing fast and with enough reach to get him. I dodged his ultras, he wasn't so lucky 2 times. Rekkas were decent too. I barely won the match in the last round.

But mostly after those experiments I went from 696 bp to 500 bp. Then I got back to playing Guile and won mostly and got back my points. If I'm not using Guile I loose! Fuck.

I must chain myself to a wall tommorrow to keep myself from playing. I want to have enough strengh to play on Saturday.

I fought a hilarious shoto scrub. I picked my guy and he was hovering above Ryu and Ken. So it's like: Ryu, Ken, Ryu, Ken ten times and finally he stoped on Ryu. I said to myself then: "Come on. I know you're gonna do it. Come on! Don't dissapoint me..." and after 7-8 seconds he switches back to Ken! Yes! I knew it! I almost heard the: "Fuck it! Shoryken!" :lol

I love the Ken mindflow! I really, really do! :lol :lol :lol

keanerie

CcrooK said:
http://gootecks.com/

Edit: I got...not paid!

Yeah, I've listened to it a couple times. I'd say it's a little awkward pause and transition heavy if I wanted to be a dbag, but you can tell Gootecks really works his ass off to make it as good as it can be, and I think it's pretty awesome to listen to as a fan of the genre. He has a lot of great guests and insights.

Also, good games earlier CcrooK. TOOhuman2furius here.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what's up with every character talking shit to Chun Li in the arcade mode? Thick thighs, cankles... poor Chun Li.

I played maybe 20 fights last night and only got a couple of Kens :O Of course the rest were Sagats/Ryus/Akuma >___<

Had a best of 5 match against a Ken yesterday. Dropped the first two. But came back to win the next three. There's something about best of 5 matches that's oh so special :lol I bet that Ken was pissing his pants wondering why the same goddamn shoryuken's stopped working against me.

Also, I have no idea what to do with Cammy Vs. Sagat. The only matches I lost last night were against Sagat. They have ridiculous range, do ridiculous damage, and have that that low Tiger flame thing that messes up my low game. Cammy's have to be in your face to do well but that tiger knee seems to cover the whole screen. Ugh, ended up feeling kinda clueless against them.

Also, I find it curious when people use "gouki" and "dictator." Kind of annoying...

myDingling said:
Also, I find it curious when people use "gouki" and "dictator." Kind of annoying...

If you are talking about the names, I don't know why people outside of Japan use Gouki, but Dictator, Claw, and Boxer all had their names switched from the Japanese to American versions, so saying 'M. Bison' is referring to Boxer and Dictator depending where you are located. It actually simplifies things for the international crowd.

This thread moves so fast for a fighter. :O

Anyone on XBL wanna go a few rounds, my tag's in my profile. (Please don't post it here.) I'm also on the GAF SSFIITHDR group for your convenience. ;) I stick to random. I may be on PSN (same name) in a couple of hours if anyone requests it.

prodystopian said:
If you are talking about the names, I don't know why people outside of Japan use Gouki, but Dictator, Claw, and Boxer all had their names switched from the Japanese to American versions, so saying 'M. Bison' is referring to Boxer and Dictator depending where you are located. It actually simplifies things for the international crowd.

Yeah I know the whole renaming deal. I forget GAF has an international audience so that does make sense. I do wish the Gouki thing would stop at least.

prodystopian said:
I can't land this either, but what you need to practice is charge back>forward+P>back>forward>KKK. Just do that on its own first until you can get the super to come out following the kikoken.

Nice user name.

Thanks, and thanks. :D Will try this when I get home this evening.

All in all, despite my utter failure, I'm really enjoying Trial Mode. I wish more fighting games had something like this. I had a friend of mine, always a haphazard button-masher in fighters, try it out and he's actually started incorporating COMBOS into his Blanka's game. It's really an awesome "first steps" learning tool.

Baker said:
mind blown

8evh3bb.gif

lawblob said:
Whoops. :lol

Anyways, yeah, sorry my connection dropped, every 40 minutes or so it signs me out & immediately signs me back in to PSN. If you're still available, I am definitely game to keep playing. This is the kind of practice I need.

And please let me know of any mistakes I was making or things I should correct. Im' serious, any advice is welcome.
I'm just finishing off watching Lost so should be available in 20-30 mins. Will fire off an invite to you when I'm ready.

As for any advice, I really don't like Abel and rarely play as him so specifics I can't help with, as a general rule you're probably a bit too aggressive (leave yourself open quite a lot) but I think you just need more time with him to suss out what he can and can't do (priorities etc). Hope that helps a little at least. :)

Thrakier said:
Is there a pad that REALLY improves your playing when you are already using the DSIII? I don't want to get an arcade board.
Saturn USB is a solid recommendation. Excellent directional pad and six face buttons.

Barrett2

Tobiasboon said:
as a general rule you're probably a bit too aggressive (leave yourself open quite a lot) but I think you just need more time with him to suss out what he can and can't do (priorities etc). Hope that helps a little at least. :)

Cool, thanks for the tips. I think when I see my opponent is more skilled than me (as you obviously were) I tend to get a bit panicky / aggressive.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
DIRTY-D said:
A friend saw this a sent it to me....sorry if this is old...thought it was funny as shit :lol

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq134/payment_due/sakura.jpg

Notice anything weird?
Dude...

...DUDE...

And seeing how they portray her character in the game, I would not at all be surprised if that was 100% intentional. As I've said before, her victory jumping is just an excuse for panty shots and an almost up shirt shot...UP SHIRT!!!

:lol

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Thanks, and thanks. :D Will try this when I get home this evening.

All in all, despite my utter failure, I'm really enjoying Trial Mode. I wish more fighting games had something like this. I had a friend of mine, always a haphazard button-masher in fighters, try it out and he's actually started incorporating COMBOS into his Blanka's game. It's really an awesome "first steps" learning tool.

There's a point where I just hit the damn wall with the Trial mode.

The first time it got difficult with Abel was when I had to do a Forward H-Punch and then QCF - Punch

I clearly DON'T have the timing down but even when I do manage to pull it off, it doesn't register. I'm missing "something" here but not sure what?

Or I suck...hard.

DIRTY-D

Lé Blade Runner said:
Holy shit. :lol

That's a pretty good easter egg from the artist!

I know....I can't see that illustration on start-up the same way now.

Sakura rocking the vagina elbow.

ain't that a peach!

:D

Thrakier

_dementia said:
Saturn USB is a solid recommendation. Excellent directional pad and six face buttons.

And it's really easier with that than with the DSIII? I don't mind the face buttons at all maybe only the d-pad.

Barrett2

RubxQub said:
Dude...

...DUDE...

And seeing how they portray her character in the game, I would not at all be surprised if that was 100% intentional. As I've said before, her victory jumping is just an excuse for panty shots and an almost up shirt shot...UP SHIRT!!!

:lol

Wait, upshirt shots? Time for that 60 inch plasma, my meager 32inch TV is failing me.

Top Bottom