• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

lawblob said:
I want to start learning another character besides Abel / Ryu-Ken-Akuma. I want it to be somebody quick. Who would be the best noob-friendly fast character in the game?

CHUN!!!!! If you want to try a charge character she is great. She has some amazing normals (target combo, d/f+HK, etc), and she is fast.

Cammy is also good if you want to stick with SRK motions.

I'm going to try and get into the Dictator after I've got a new 360 pad, the right trigger on mine and the anlogue stick have gone tits up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So as some gaffer said the C.Viper trial : HP + HCFx2 + P was really easy buffing the move. Thanks man.

But the Sagat fake kick? I cant pull it off!!! :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
what do you have to do to unluck Akuma and what's the easiest way to do it?

Man, I am so annoyed by the icons. I think I'm at 5% unlocked and it's that's probably as far as I'm gonna get. I've managed to beat one hard trial so far (Abel's) and I don't think I'm getting any further than that. Sure woulda been nice if they'd put the slightest bit of effort into the trial mode. I shouldn't have to consult fucking youtube to get through a tutorial.

slidewinder said:
Boy, one half-hearted "karate chop" (bu-bu, I was playing Abel) to my Hori Fighting Stick EX2 completely severed the punch button PCB. I'd hate to think what'd have happened had this been a MadCatz product.
That happened to me 2 weeks ago. You can fix it pretty easily. Whatta junky little stick.

Had a lousy night playing so my HRAP took a bit of a pounding. A few times I'd try and throw or FA and nothing would come out. So I hit the stick. Sensible thing to do! I wish my lizardlick order would ship already. Why did I have to choose white sanwas!

_dementia said:
GGs Rummy
Yeah, gg. I dunno what the hell to do against dudes that block. And you were good at that with Boxer! I was hopeless.

I also really need to stop fucking up qcfs. Too many accidental cannon spikes!

Guymelef

PlayStation 3 version:

Does anybody know if the US PlayStation Store costumes packs work with PAL Street Fighter IV?
3.99$ - 3.99€ ...

lawblob said:
I want to start learning another character besides Abel / Ryu-Ken-Akuma. I want it to be somebody quick. Who would be the best noob-friendly fast character in the game?

not very noob friendly but vipers quick and fun to play with

rocK`

Banned
Fersis said:
So as some gaffer said the C.Viper trial : HP + HCFx2 + P was really easy buffing the move. Thanks man.

But the Sagat fake kick? I cant pull it off!!! :lol

double tap the button, this is particularly easy on a stick.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah, gg. I dunno what the hell to do against dudes that block. And you were good at that with Boxer! I was hopeless.

I also really need to stop fucking up qcfs. Too many accidental cannon spikes!
I don't really play her, so I don't know, but does Cammy have an overhead move? I crouchblock so much overheads really screw my Boxer up. Also, I kinda rely on low roundhouse a lot (yeah I'm a scrub), and Ultra totally beats it. I can't tell you how many matches I lost as a result.

With that said, Boxer is still probably my best character, but I really want to get Viper down.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
rocK` said:
double tap the button, this is particularly easy on a stick.
DualShock 3 user here... and R2 is not the best button ever:lol

rocK`

Banned
i think you can abbreviate that, I'm not very good with charge partitioning.

edit: come to think of it

does:

db, ub+k, db, df, db, uf+3k make sense? it should work.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've got a stick with sanwa buttons, and it took me a good 20 seconds of furious mashing before sagat's fake kick came out once :/

was messing around with sagat a bit today, and jesus what a whore. you can basically lose a fight by all appearances and still win. i'm a terrible shoto, and my terrible shoto strategies slightly adapted actually won some games for me -- if that can be called 'winning'

GrayFoxPL said:
Could someone help me with guile's flash kick cancel to Super move?

Is it

charge db,df,u+k,db,uf+K ?

it's charge db, uf+k, db, uf+k -- you wouldn't expect it to work but it does

Choabac

Two guys on my friends list have lost their SF IV saved data. Character unlocks, joypad config, challenges, the works.

Has this occurred to anyone else, or are they just really unlucky?

Fersis

prodystopian said:
I was serious about mapping the face buttons all to HK and just mashing them until it comes out.
Yeah? awesome, but how do you will use it on a match?

Kildace

Choabac said:
Two guys on my friends list have lost their SF IV saved data. Character unlocks, joypad config, challenges, the works.

Has this occurred to anyone else, or are they just really unlucky?

It happened to someone else in this thread yesterday or the day before I believe.
Which platform were they on? That would seriously suck.

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
DualShock 3 user here... and R2 is not the best button ever:lol
I'm playing with the 360 d-pad. You have no idea how hard is to pull a simple hadoken with this thing....Ironically, the shoryuken is very easy to do.

GrayFoxPL

drohne said:
i've got a stick with sanwa buttons, and it took me a good 20 seconds of furious mashing before sagat's fake kick came out once :/

was messing around with sagat a bit today, and jesus what a whore. you can basically lose a fight by all appearances and still win. i'm a terrible shoto, and my terrible shoto strategies slightly adapted actually won some games for me -- if that can be called 'winning'

it's charge db, uf+k, db, uf+k -- you wouldn't expect it to work but it does

Holy shit, thank you!

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who thiks that about GAT. :lol :lol

Rock, thank you too, I forgot I can use ub after flash kick as a charge for s boom.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
EraldoCoil said:
not to get too off topic but....

kof XII definately........as for tekken 6 , tekken always has and always will blow. too stiff and clunky, the only fighting game that ever got "Full 3D" right was Virtua Fighter

*puts up flame shield*

No one is going to complain on GAF. The problem is no one agrees outside of GAF and VFDC.

The SRK crowd was real hypocritical about VF- they all spoke how great it was, but very few of them bought it.

Choabac

Kildace said:
It happened to someone else in this thread yesterday or the day before I believe.
Which platform were they on? That would seriously suck.

They were both on 360. PAL version of the game.

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm playing with the 360 d-pad. You have no idea how hard is to pull a simple hadoken with this thing....Ironically, the shoryuken is very easy to do.
Sagat Fake kick is the only move i cant do, the DS3 is pretty nice.
(Im really used to play KOFs on the PS2 with the DualShock 2)

mittelos

nib95- thanks for the tips. I started on your first method, but I must have sniffed the glue too much; I blacked-out, and the next thing I know, my wife is standing over me shaking her head. I had a tube of super glue in one hand, and my other was stuck to my dpad. :lol

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
Sagat Fake kick is the only move i cant do, the DS3 is pretty nice.
(Im really used to play KOFs on the PS2 with the DualShock 2)
Yeah, Dual shock is far superior to the 360 d-pad. I've been playing with it since Alpha 2 on the PSX. Hell, I'm even pretty decent with it in GGXX#R. Instant Air Dash and FRC were a piece of cake with it.

But man, with this thing is like going back 20 years ago. Execution went down pretty drastically.

gkryhewy

Wow, this game earned me my first hostile XBL message.

Dude beats my Blanka and messages me "Cheap and you still suck" :lol

Hey, thanks guy - it's just a game. My first negative review for another XBL player in quite awhile.

WTF is "cheap" anyway? If you can't beat my ground-slide + electric shock spamming, you don't deserve to win.

TimeKillr

lawblob said:
Damn, no Abel tutorial on Gamevideos yet.

You shouldn't really need a tutorial.

You need to know just a few things:

1- Jab Tornado Throw has VERY VERY good priority. As in it beats Gief's SPD. Learn to love that move on wakeup against Gief. :)

2- C.MP -> CoDx3 is an incredibly good combo. Easy to do, good enough damage and opens up a ton of opportunities (opens up for a wheel kick or dash then jump towards - this gives you a crossup in many instances)

3- Don't rely on the Falling Sky (anti-air grab) as an anti-air. It's reliable in 2 situations: after a c.fp that hits twice or when your opponent does an early attack on a jump-in. Otherwise it's completely unsafe.

4- Combo-wise, there are a few things you can do but (personally at least) I don't feel Abel is a high-combo character. It's a bit like with Gief - you're not supposed to be doing crazy combos with him but rather controlling space around him to focus on a few key attacks (Tornado Throw and CoD combo).

5- He has a very good and quick dash. Use it.

6- His Ultra goes through fireballs. He's a nice shoto-killer :)

7- He has one guaranteed setup for his Ultra into a combo, and it's from the c.fp (it has to hit twice). A good way to guarantee his c.fp will hit twice is from doing a level 2 or 3 Focus Attack, cancelling your recovery with a forward dash and doing c.fp.

8- His biggest combo that I've seen myself (and involving the Ultra) is c.mp -> jab CoD x1 -> FADC -> c.fp -> Ultra. It's kinda difficult to pull off (the timing of the FADC -> c.fp is a bit tough to always get right) but it's effective.

9- His Marseilles Roll is great at closing the distance. With Abel you need to get close as much as you can, so the roll is necessary.

That's pretty much all you need to know. :)

TimeKillr

GuessWho said:
how do you do sagats fake kick? it's impossible

I can't do it if I'm not on Sanwa buttons on my stick.

Just mash the fierce kick button as fast as you can. Hopefully it'll come out (or if you can get a turbo controller :) )

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
Yeah, Dual shock is far superior to the 360 d-pad. I've been playing with it since Alpha 2 on the PSX. Hell, I'm even pretty decent with it in GGXX#R. Instant Air Dash and FRC were a piece of cake with it.

But man, with this thing is like going back 20 years ago. Execution went down pretty drastically.
Guilty Gear huh?
And what about KOF ? Do you like it? I freaking love it. :D

GuessWho said:
how do you do sagats fake kick? it's impossible
Looks like you need a stick. ;_; (suck for us,analog users)

Fersis

akachan ningen said:
A stick doesn't make it much easier. I used my stick's turbo to do that move T_T
So... on a real match is not a safe move to do right?
Im not a Sagat player tough.

LiK

gkrykewy said:
Wow, this game earned me my first hostile XBL message.

Dude beats my Blanka and messages me "Cheap and you still suck" :lol

Hey, thanks guy - it's just a game. My first negative review for another XBL player in quite awhile.

WTF is "cheap" anyway? If you can't beat my ground-slide + electric shock spamming, you don't deserve to win.

dont worry about it. just give that guy a neg in response.

TurtleSnatcher said:
argh....

F DHALSIM.. Why is he so fing impossible to use...

I do pretty good if someone is just sitting there fireball spamming against me.. I tend to fight back well but soon as they start jumping in.. I'm screwed.

I can't time his jumping MP's correctly or his HK's or MK's.. and I freaking miss half of my FP's and jumping FP's.

Its driving me crazy.

Also I can't get the stupid instant air teleport to work.. so to teleport in the air ... I jump up and before I land I teleport and try to hit him.

Though they usually know and kick my ass doing that.. :( (I usually do fierce punch in the air after teleport.. it whiffs 90% of the time)..

Also I got the hang of the arcade stick about 80% of the time. I can get most of my moves out but supers and ultras rape me.. I always teleport when trying to get an ultra out yet I didn't mean it. Sometimes I can get a teleport out and then get a super behind them but thats about it. Only other good thing I do is do my Yoga Devestation and then teleport behind and keep LK sweeping them into the ball so they take dmg..

Other then that.. I fail with Dhalsim and I'm about to give up with him. I was trying to move away from Vega since he just feels so weak if I lose his gear and can't recover it in a match..

SIGH.

I think I may move back to the fight pad and see if that helps.. (Good bye thumb!)

EDIT: And I just passed 80 hours play time..

Don't give up with Sim. I was experiencing the same problems as you. I couldn't time his anti airs at all. But, I went into training mode and had the dummy do nothing but jumping roundhouse, sweep, dragon punch. I got the timing of his anti airs (B-HK and sometimes B-MP). Really this is the most important thing with him imo.

From there get good at throwing in his jumping fierce as an anti air.

Then work on your teleport. You'll hit it after awhile. Then you can start doing the air teleport, HP and throw in crouching medium dash kick and throws. Then you can work on stuff like dashing with yoga fire and yoga towers, working on his various pokes.

The thing about Sim is he doesn't take damage well and can get wrecked by anything if it hits him. So, you feel like you suck if you get hit by a basic jumping combo. You don't. You just have to realize Sim is fragile and you gotta have good timing and it'll take some time. When you do, its a lot easier to learn with him.

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
Guilty Gear huh?
And what about KOF ? Do you like it? I freaking love it. :D
I like all fighters (Advanced VG 2, despite being a complete broken mess, it's one of my favourite fighters). Used to play a lot of Kof 98-99-2K at the arcades with top players of Rosario. Got my ass kicked a lot at first since I played the game like a SF game. I learned a lot with them. Good times.

Barrett2

Holy shamwow, just watched the Ryu combo video on Mycheats.

How in the hell does one even move their fingers quick enough to pull off that stuff? o_O

LiK

lawblob said:
Holy shamwow, just watched the Ryu combo video on Mycheats.

How in the hell does one even move their fingers quick enough to pull off that stuff? o_O

once you memorize the combos, it's automatic.

Barrett2

TimeKillr said:
You shouldn't really need a tutorial.

You need to know just a few things:

1- Jab Tornado Throw has VERY VERY good priority. As in it beats Gief's SPD. Learn to love that move on wakeup against Gief. :)

2- C.MP -> CoDx3 is an incredibly good combo. Easy to do, good enough damage and opens up a ton of opportunities (opens up for a wheel kick or dash then jump towards - this gives you a crossup in many instances)

3- Don't rely on the Falling Sky (anti-air grab) as an anti-air. It's reliable in 2 situations: after a c.fp that hits twice or when your opponent does an early attack on a jump-in. Otherwise it's completely unsafe.

4- Combo-wise, there are a few things you can do but (personally at least) I don't feel Abel is a high-combo character. It's a bit like with Gief - you're not supposed to be doing crazy combos with him but rather controlling space around him to focus on a few key attacks (Tornado Throw and CoD combo).

5- He has a very good and quick dash. Use it.

6- His Ultra goes through fireballs. He's a nice shoto-killer :)

7- He has one guaranteed setup for his Ultra into a combo, and it's from the c.fp (it has to hit twice). A good way to guarantee his c.fp will hit twice is from doing a level 2 or 3 Focus Attack, cancelling your recovery with a forward dash and doing c.fp.

8- His biggest combo that I've seen myself (and involving the Ultra) is c.mp -> jab CoD x1 -> FADC -> c.fp -> Ultra. It's kinda difficult to pull off (the timing of the FADC -> c.fp is a bit tough to always get right) but it's effective.

9- His Marseilles Roll is great at closing the distance. With Abel you need to get close as much as you can, so the roll is necessary.

That's pretty much all you need to know. :)

Cool. Thanks for the help. I have pretty much given up attempting Falling Sky with Abel, the only time it ever connects is when I accidentally pull it off.

LiK

Aeris130 said:
Can "easiest" be used to unlock Akuma/Gouken/Seth? Seems to work for other characters, but I don't want to waste my time.

worked for me. set it to 1 round and it'll fly by (unless Seth AI goes FOR BROKE on your ass) ;)

farnham

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Can "easiest" be used to unlock Akuma/Gouken/Seth? Seems to work for other characters, but I don't want to waste my time.
do it like this

easiest

round 1

30 secs

zangief double lariat spam

for akuma

get 1 perfect

for gouken

get 1 perfect
get 2 ultras

for seth

die on seth and switch to all characters other then zangief and defeat seth with them..

My Blanka is getting better, if only because I remembered how to do the Surprise Forward and Surprise Backward crossup dashes. I also found out that down and PPP causes Blanka to duck under things. Is that a useful move at all, or just a good way to get stomped out or grabbed?

Also, someone's gotta invent like...a joystick training regimen or something. Before I play each day, I go into training and practice all motions for 20 mins until I get them out regularly, but once I get online, my execution is still off. I hate knowing when to react, and what to react with, but not being able to to react because my execution is poor :(

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
I like all fighters (Advanced VG 2, despite being a complete broken mess, it's one of my favourite fighters). Used to play a lot of Kof 98-99-2K at the arcades with top players of Rosario. Got my ass kicked a lot at first since I played the game like a SF game. I learned a lot with them. Good times.
Awesome, i played lots and lots of KOF when i was younger. (Ok, i still do but only against the CPU)

LiK

farnham said:
do it like this

easiest

round 1

30 secs

zangief double lariat spam

for akuma

get 1 perfect

for gouken

get 1 perfect
get 2 ultras

for seth

die on seth and switch to all characters other then zangief and defeat seth with them..

that didn't work for me for Gouken. it should be 2 perfects and 3 ultras. no specific order.

Fersis said:
Awesome, i played lots and lots of KOF when i was younger. (Ok, i still do but only against the CPU)

playing at my local arcades was pretty tough. too many awesome Asian KoF players kicking my Asian ass.

Top Bottom