• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LowParry

Jirotrom said:
to be honest i prefer the closer button positioning to the stick than i do on the TE edition... but its a matter of preference.

Hrmm. It'd take some time to get replacement buttons for the EX since Lizard is pretty much slammed right now. Eh. I suppose I can wait till to the first week of March. It isn't that far away plus I'm rolling into day 3 of using Dictator. By then I'll be better, and I'll have a better stick so I should have some good improvements by then. Just hope this EX2 holds out. :lol

Jirotrom

MIMIC said:
Me? Guile, Guile, Guile, Guile, random character, Guile, maybe Chun-Li.

I suck with everybody else =(
I got to a trial in which I had to string for moves that ended in an ex cancel and I couldnt do it. the focus attacks being placed on the medium attack buttons makes them more difficult. Good for advanced players but im not advanced.... yet.

WTF? :lol Is El Fuerte vs. Sagat in arcade mode hard coded or what? Every single fucking time Sagat starts first attack and every single time it is fireball. He kicks El Fuerte's ass. I wanted to finish it fast to unlock last remaining character, Seth, and ended up losing 6-7 times.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
poserdonut said:
OK, so that counts as a ranked match then?

at the start screen you can press one of the triggers or bumpers and set it so people can interrupt you with ranked matches, player matches, or you can turn it off so no one can interrupt you.

OMG, did somebody on keystone light just say "OMG, with the taco charge style!" when el fuerte did his ultra???

Jirotrom

CcrooK said:
Hrmm. It'd take some time to get replacement buttons for the EX since Lizard is pretty much slammed right now. Eh. I suppose I can wait till to the first week of March. It isn't that far away plus I'm rolling into day 3 of using Dictator. By then I'll be better, and I'll have a better stick so I should have some good improvements by then. Just hope this EX2 holds out. :lol
ah.... this is good news, Im so happy arcade sticks are popular now. im looking for great SFIV numbers when NPD arrives, fighting games may be back. This will hopefully build awareness for KOFXII and Tekken 6

LowParry

Jirotrom said:
ah.... this is good news, Im so happy arcade sticks are popular now. im looking for great SFIV numbers when NPD arrives, fighting games may be back. This will hopefully build awareness for KOFXII and Tekken 6

Day 1 purchases all the way. :D

Jirotrom said:

not to get too off topic but....

kof XII definately........as for tekken 6 , tekken always has and always will blow. too stiff and clunky, the only fighting game that ever got "Full 3D" right was Virtua Fighter

*puts up flame shield*

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
EraldoCoil said:

kof XII definately........as for tekken 6 , tekken always has and always will blow. too stiff and clunky, the only fighting game that ever got "Full 3D" right was Virtua Fighter

*puts up flame shield*

i'm going to have to agree with this.

LowParry

EraldoCoil said:

*puts up flame shield*

This statement is sooooo wrong. :lol Both are as you say. A good true fluid 3D fighter would be games like...oh Power Stone. Hell, I'll even go further to say DOA was just that as well.

MIMIC

Banned
Jirotrom said:
I got to a trial in which I had to string for moves that ended in an ex cancel and I couldnt do it. the focus attacks being placed on the medium attack buttons makes them more difficult. Good for advanced players but im not advanced.... yet.

I use the 360 d-pad. I put my Focus Attack on the left trigger. You use the pad or a stick?

Zertez

Xevren said:
For your combo just do this, QCF+HK QCF+punch. Just do it fast.
Thanks again. Still cant quite get it yet. I should selv the game until I get my stick, but it is to much even when I fail. Trying to pull off some of these moves with the 360 controller blows. Guess I can always move to Sagat in the meantime, I have no problem dropping people with him :lol

I love the soundtrack for SFIV that I got with the CE.

Does anybody have the SF3: Third Strike Official Soundtrack and know how I can score a copy?

MrOctober

Banned
Sorry to keep asking this but I can't find the answer online. Does Gouken's parry move counter any combo or special move? I was busting up combos with it mostly by accident as I don't really know how to play with him that well. I just want to know the limit of that move.

argh....

F DHALSIM.. Why is he so fing impossible to use...

I do pretty good if someone is just sitting there fireball spamming against me.. I tend to fight back well but soon as they start jumping in.. I'm screwed.

I can't time his jumping MP's correctly or his HK's or MK's.. and I freaking miss half of my FP's and jumping FP's.

Its driving me crazy.

Also I can't get the stupid instant air teleport to work.. so to teleport in the air ... I jump up and before I land I teleport and try to hit him.

Though they usually know and kick my ass doing that.. :( (I usually do fierce punch in the air after teleport.. it whiffs 90% of the time)..

Also I got the hang of the arcade stick about 80% of the time. I can get most of my moves out but supers and ultras rape me.. I always teleport when trying to get an ultra out yet I didn't mean it. Sometimes I can get a teleport out and then get a super behind them but thats about it. Only other good thing I do is do my Yoga Devestation and then teleport behind and keep LK sweeping them into the ball so they take dmg..

Other then that.. I fail with Dhalsim and I'm about to give up with him. I was trying to move away from Vega since he just feels so weak if I lose his gear and can't recover it in a match..

SIGH.

I think I may move back to the fight pad and see if that helps.. (Good bye thumb!)

EDIT: And I just passed 80 hours play time..

AZ Greg

C- Warrior said:
AZ Greg, good games dude.

I think we played a good 20 matches. If you're on over the weekend we should go again sometime as well.

GGs.

That was humbling, you're probably the best player I've faced thus far. Your defense completely threw me off my game and had me scrambling (Too many slides, diving off the wrong wall, rushed ultras, etc...). Definitely down for some more matches. Despite the whippings, the matches were more helpful for me than the endless sea of Kens and Sagats.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
poserdonut said:
Tried three times to get a ranked match trying to connect to probably 20+ matches but it hasn't worked yet. The connection bar is always empty on everyone. System seems borked. :/

Played with a friend 2-3 times with no problem, get 4 bars with him.

Is playing Sakura frowned upon in the same way that Ryu and Ken is because she's a shoto? So far I really enjoy playing with her.

Again, this is shitty NAT settings or router firewall settings, consult your router docs and google for ways to get around it.

Also, creating a ranked match will get you a fight every time.

McBradders said:
Again, this is shitty NAT settings or router firewall settings, consult your router docs and google for ways to get around it.

Also, creating a ranked match will get you a fight every time.

I've opened the ports for live and I don't have a strict/moderate connection. And as I said I don't have any trouble playing with my friend. So I actually don't think it's a NAT problem. Never had any trouble with it in any other game with hosting or connecting.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
poserdonut said:
I've opened the ports for live and I don't have a strict/moderate connection. And as I said I don't have any trouble playing with my friend. So I actually don't think it's a NAT problem. Never had any trouble with it in any other game with hosting or connecting.

Yeah, I don't have trouble with my friends, but on ranked games I have had 2, out of maybe 100, matches where my opponent has had any bars at all. Maybe it is borked :eek:

I know I do have a shitty modem/router that is constantly fucking with its own NAT settings though.

If it's -not- that that would be pretty fucking rad.

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

That was humbling, you're probably the best player I've faced thus far. Your defense completely threw me off my game and had me scrambling (Too many slides, diving off the wrong wall, rushed ultras, etc...). Definitely down for some more matches. Despite the whippings, the matches were more helpful for me than the endless sea of Kens and Sagats.

Yeah, it was good practice going against Vega. I somewhat use Vega so I knew some of the tricks and pokes, but even still Vega's a tricky S.O.B. Your off the wall cross-up is so devastating especially for a character who (guile, balrog etc.) need to charge their anti-air. In fact I think (as long as you're not going against a Sagat, Ryu or Ken - who have quick anti-airs, that should be your primary tool, and the wall-dive but on the opposite wall is deadly too, it's very disorienting.

You also did a lot better at guessing on what I would do upon your wake-up near the end. I think the mind-games I play at that part of battle is probably my biggest strength.

I really need to work on my link combos though.

Vega is really a good character to fight against with -- he really forces you to be good on blocking in the right direction/cross ups.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you this after the matches but I forgot, but you should crowd players upon wake up more, bait them more often and even sometimes come in with an over head. Vega's fierce punch has a really angled approach. I remember I played a good Vega before, he would always crowd me on my wake - up and he would simply do a barcelona backflip (PPP) or (KKK). So if I countered, or threw, or jabbed -- none of them would connect and he would have a move charged up (he would charge during the flip) for a counter.

poserdonut said:
Is playing Sakura frowned upon in the same way that Ryu and Ken is because she's a shoto? So far I really enjoy playing with her.
As long as you use her alt color 10 outfit you'll turn those frowns upside down =)

I think we should start to create a list of potential GAF sparring partners who are solid with characters (especially the non-shoto characters)

(PS: these are not XBL usernames rather their GAF usernames)

Guile: MIMIC, dhrone, CminusWarrior
Balrog: CminusWarrior (anyone else?)
Vega: AZ Greg
Dhalsim: MicVlad
Bison: Cook

And of course, anyone else that could help fill out this marginal list would be much appreciated. I think if we can get a assemblage of gaffers who main the non-shoto types it would create some great, informative sparring sessions.

I learned a lot from Dhal and Vega from fighting gaffers for example.

Personally I'm looking for a dedicated Chun-Li and Abel user, anyone?

Model 500

The game is one of the highlights of this gen, but I'm officially on a break until my TE stick arrives. Damn. Totally loving the online mode :-D

kiryogi

Banned
Using Chun-li here, but I suck! BTW, anyone know what are the primary ports to be forwarding for SFIV on PS3? The PSN ports? Curious if that'd help my lag. I just had a really laggy as hell match, I won but christ. Not sure whos fault it is. I'm using Fios too! But it's weird when I do a search, the person's latency is doesn't show any bars at all. And isn't it out of 5? D:

Meliorism

C- Warrior said:
I think we should start to create a list of potential GAF sparring partners who are solid with characters (especially the non-shoto characters)

(PS: these are not XBL usernames rather their GAF usernames)

Guile: MIMIC, dhrone, CminusWarrior
Balrog: CminusWarrior (anyone else?)
Vega: AZ Greg
Dhalsim: MicVlad
Bison: Cook

And of course, anyone else that could help fill out this marginal list would be much appreciated. I think if we can get a assemblage of gaffers who main the non-shoto types it would create some great, informative sparring sessions.

I learned a lot from Dhal and Vega from fighting gaffers for example.

Personally I'm looking for a dedicated Chun-Li and Abel user, anyone?

MicVlad's Dhalsim is so fucking good. I felt like I could hang if he was any other character, but man, once he picked Dhalsim..yikes.

Anyway, I'd like to see how the best Rose player here plays. I have a lot to learn with her.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Nib95... do you actually do this? That's pretty extreme. I'd rather spare myself the physical pain and just buy a Saturn controller. :lol

atomico

Son of Godzilla said:
Whoever came up with Cammy's 2nd hard challenge is an asshole Fullstop

The timing on it is so fucking bizarre.

"standing MP -> crouching MK"?
I can't do it either

edit: or is that the 1st challenge? can't remember :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Woooo just got a copy of this game and 2 Hori EX2 sticks delivered.

Pretty interested to see if I can learn this game. Never played street fighter much, but I downloaded sfII on arcade as well. It's fun but xbox pads are garbage.

atomico said:
"standing MP -> crouching MK"?
I can't do it either

edit: or is that the 1st challenge? can't remember :p
Yea that's it. Jump in hk > lk > mp > crouch mk blahblahblah

It just seems broken. The LK to MP feels completely unintuitive and downright random when it connects, then the crouching MK piles on insanity. Nobody would try connecting this nonsense if the game didn't tell you to.

Son of Godzilla said:
Yea that's it. Jump in hk > lk > mp > crouch mk blahblahblah

It just seems broken. The LK to MP feels completely unintuitive and downright random when it connects, then the crouching MK piles on insanity. Nobody would try connecting this nonsense if the game didn't tell you to.
I've heard random comments on SRK say that a lot of challenge mode combos are impractical and such.

Barrett2

I want to start learning another character besides Abel / Ryu-Ken-Akuma. I want it to be somebody quick. Who would be the best noob-friendly fast character in the game?

MIMIC

Banned
lawblob said:
I want to start learning another character besides Abel / Ryu-Ken-Akuma. I want it to be somebody quick. Who would be the best noob-friendly fast character in the game?

Cammy is pretty quick. The button inputs of her moves are similar to the shoto guys (cannon drill = fireball, cannon spike = dragon punch)

Boy, one half-hearted "karate chop" (bu-bu, I was playing Abel) to my Hori Fighting Stick EX2 completely severed the punch button PCB. I'd hate to think what'd have happened had this been a MadCatz product.

lawblob said:
Cammy is very noob-friendly. She plays like a shoto but more offensive. Plus that drill is one of the best moves in the game.

rocK`

Banned
KittenMaster said:
I've heard random comments on SRK say that a lot of challenge mode combos are impractical and such.

most combos are horribly impractical, they either waste more meter than its worth or just way too hard to time to be effective.

jump in hp, cr. lk, lk, lk, lk, mp is not cancellable or linkable, who would end a combo that way?

not going to lie though, i learned that the game has rhythm and this has helped my combos significantly

btw, I play a v. good rufus (have been playing since last august), my x360gt is Keshstud

GrayFoxPL

Son of Godzilla said:
Cammy is very noob-friendly. She plays like a shoto but more offensive. Plus that drill is one of the best moves in the game.

What? Cannon drill? That move is comepletly unsafe. I rarely loose to Cammy. I don't jump, just walk and block low waiting for the drill then I punish. The only thing to worry are those fucking ex hooligans.

Lawblob, fast? How fast? Fuerte is the fasted. I'm scared of him, but he's not easy to master. Fei Long is the second fastest but he kind of sucks against fireballers.

I recommend M.Bison (Dictator) he's really easy to learn and handles great during fight.

Durandal

Banned
McBradders said:
Yeah, I don't have trouble with my friends, but on ranked games I have had 2, out of maybe 100, matches where my opponent has had any bars at all. Maybe it is borked :eek:

I know I do have a shitty modem/router that is constantly fucking with its own NAT settings though.

If it's -not- that that would be pretty fucking rad.

Dont know if you tried this yet. Look for Stability Games in your own language. Usually works for me in ranked matches when i cannot find opponents that have more or equal bp anymore.

GrayFoxPL said:
What? Cannon drill? That move is comepletly unsafe. I rarely loose to Cammy. I don't jump, just walk and block low waiting for the drill then I punish. The only thing to worry are those fucking ex hooligans.

Eh? I didn't mean it's a "press this button to win", I meant that it's got enough range and speed to catch almost anyone, dodges a shitload of stuff, does great ex damage, and can be combo'd into by almost everything she has.

Top Bottom