• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Honestly, I thought Rose was top tier in this game, unless she ran into a grappler- so upper-mid overall.

EX Soul Spiral can get you out of grab ticks I think though.

Sectus

Sakura's shoryuken into her super, anyone got tips for the timing of that? I'm not sure what type of shoryuken I need to use either.

Edit: Figured it out. I have to do the super immediately after the shoryuken to cancel it. No freaking way I'm gonna be able to do that in an actual fight :p

Edit 2: What... the... fuck? After struggling for a half hour to finally beat trial 4 with Sakura I thought I'd at least take a quick look at trial 5 but not giving it a serious attempt. And here are the combos I had to do:
Light punch -> crouching medium kick
Crouching light punch -> hard punch

What what? What what what? Is the game trying to toy with me? Why make me suffer through the worst combos in the game to then conclude with super easy ones?

Sectus said:
Sakura's shoryuken into her super, anyone got tips for the timing of that? I'm not sure what type of shoryuken I need to use either.

Edit: Figured it out. I have to do the super immediately after the shoryuken to cancel it. No freaking way I'm gonna be able to do that in an actual fight :p

Edit 2: What... the... fuck? After struggling for a half hour to finally beat trial 4 with Sakura I thought I'd at least take a quick look at trial 5 but not giving it a serious attempt. And here are the combos I had to do:

What what? What what what? Is the game trying to toy with me? Why make me suffer through the worst combos in the game to then conclude with super easy ones?

fluffy-gaf.jpg

Sectus said:

lol it was the same way for C.Viper.

Barrett2

I just had a very satisfying win. I immediately pick Abel, douchebag then proceeds to move the cursor very quickly to a character, stay on them for a second, then go to another one, and another. After 25 fucking seconds of doing god knows what, he quickly goes to Sakura and picks her right before his time is up. I then proceed to beat his ass two straight rounds, and he lost a lot of BP. :D

Sectus said:
Color 10 is awesome for Cammy and Sakura outfit DLC. Color 10 for Cammy makes her look like a fancy elite soldier (black uniform with gold and red details), without pants of course. Color 10 for Sakura simply removes her training uniform so she's only wearing her t-shirt and panties.

Yeah, I've been using color 10 for Cammy and it definitely looks great. Haven't played around with much of the other DLC but I love Chun Li's.

lawblob said:
I just had a very satisfying win. I immediately pick Abel, douchebag then proceeds to move the cursor very quickly to a character, stay on them for a second, then go to another one, and another. After 25 fucking seconds of doing god knows what, he quickly goes to Sakura and picks her right before his time is up. I then proceed to beat his ass two straight rounds, and he lost a lot of BP. :D

I don't understand why they play this game after you've picked your character. Doesn't it make a noise to alert them? I definitely know when they have selected their character.

LiK

lawblob said:

welcome to my world. nothing worse then finally finding a match and the dude wastes more time choosing someone.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Sectus said:

It's like that with every character. Normal Trial 4 is cancel combos, which often require extreme speed of input. Normal Trial 5 is link combos, which require slow but precise timing.

Now go do the Hard Trials which makes you do both at the same time! =)

Is there anyway players with slow fingers and bad memory skills and unlock all colors and personal actions? Or is it all based on beating the higher difficulties of challenge mode?

brendanrfoley said:
Is there anyway players with slow fingers and bad memory skills and unlock all colors and personal actions? Or is it all based on beating the higher difficulties of challenge mode?
Aren't all the colors and PAs tied to Time and Survival challenges? I thought the bullshit training ones only had art, icons, and titles.

Son of Godzilla said:
Aren't all the colors and PAs tied to Time and Survival challenges? I thought the bullshit training ones only had art, icons, and titles.
Yeah, I think they're tied to the Normal ones too, not the Hard ones.

Ferrio

Banned
OK, Rose isn't worthless. I was just very, very frustrated earlier this morning after *repeatedly* getting my ass handed to me.

It just seems like I have to work 2x as hard as the other player to get a win with her.

My problem I suppose is that I have not figured out her close-combat strengths and weaknesses yet, outside of her awesome kicks. If I'm full-on rushed I don't feel like I have many options and most people this morning seemed to sense that. Her fireball is not good enough to zone very well either, so getting in on me isn't too hard despite my attempts to dash away and use other shenadigans. :(

I'll keep working on it, but it is very frustrating.

I don't see many Roses in rotation so I thought I'd use her as a secondary to my Blanka (yes, I need to change that damned Ken avatar) to make ranked more interesting and varied for others.

Played a freaking krazy good dan player which absolutely stuck to me like glue and Rose had no seeming answer to the onslaught. Yes..........I said Dan. This guy was facking awesome.

Ya she's a big uphill battle for sure. Several things due to that:

-Very slow recovery/startup on her fireball. Makes trying to do Guile shenanigans a lot harder, and you can get punished easily if you throw them out carelessly.
-None of her specials are really safe. Fireball leaves you open for a good point of time, spiral is punishable on block and your opponent has to be really predictable for soul swing otherwise you'll get smacked outta it.
-No reliable wakeup.
-No reliable way to combo her ultra. The ultra is one of the better ones just to stick out there, but really that's a horrible way to rely on it.
-No damaging combos outside use of her super.
-Only one decent EX move.

Strengths-

-Long range pokes (F+HK, HK, HP, sweep). But there's other characters with pokes just as good but don't have as near as many weakness.
-Fairly good anti air (D+HP)
-The annoying c.mp. Has good range, hits low, leads to combos.
-A good cross up (j.mk).
-Good air attacks (j.hp seems to cover a good range)

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm seeing her in the low tier for sure at this point. She just has too many really damaging weaknesses and too few good strengths to make up for it. If they gave her some more combo potential (Soul swing, and ultra) and/or a decent wakeup she'd be a lot more competitive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LiK said:
Capcom, why did you make Gouken's hurricane kick so shitty?

Combo into it? Gouken strikes me as a character you need to be careful with and try to set up situations to unleash big hitters. Just observation based on playing around with him.

LiK

Kintaro said:
Combo into it? Gouken strikes me as a character you need to be careful with and try to set up situations to unleash big hitters. Just observation based on playing around with him.

yea, i do that, but if it just happens to miss, i'm way open for some major damage. he kinda floats there. there's no way to really get back down quickly and block. i think i'm gonna rely on his other attacks instead.

Sectus

brendanrfoley said:
You get all colors and personal actions by completing all normal time attacks, and all normall survival up to survival 17. Just use Zangief and spam his PPP move.

dankir

When is the DLC costume content for Sagat and Balrog coming out? Gotta give my regulars some new gear!

Question about the titles and icons.

Do I have to play though normal and hard difficulties for all the fighters , for all the challenges to unlock the majority of the titles and icons?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Vdragoon said:
Ordered my PS3/X360 True Arcade stick from Arcade in a box! This xbox controller is making me rage.

The more I play, the more I realize that the 360 pad isn't cutting it. I gotta get a stick

Vdragoon

_dementia said:
What type of layout/parts did you go with?

1 PS3/X360 True Arcade 240.00 309.00
Button Type: Sanwa/Seimitsu +15.00
Joystick Type: Perfect 360 +38.00
Button Layout: Straight
Headset Jack: No Thanks
Extras: No Extras
Color: Red
International Shipping: Canada +16.00
--------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal 309.00
Tax 0.00
Shipping (Standard Shipping) & Handling 35.00
Balance Due 344.00

:D

Barrett2

Damn, it keeps matching me against guys with 2000+ BP. I have 300. I don't mind, good practice for me, but they literally only get 1BP for beating me! :lol

Sectus

More matches against MicVlaD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEQE_-Y9lU&fmt=22 - Ultra linked to super = very scary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYk9TcMJts&fmt=22 - I'm pretty sure all the moves Dhalsim did in this match were one guaranteed combo. Even between rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbOLpBwWmg&fmt=22 - Epic Dan vs Sakura battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55V4IlsJhY&fmt=22 - Even more epic Dan vs Dan (I didn't know Dan could taunt while jumping, that's pure epicness right there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaPw4IRaAg&fmt=22 - More Dhalsim vs Sakura.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ7TP26w714&fmt=22 - The one and only time I've been able to link EX hurricane kick to Sakura's ultra.

Kccitystar said:
How about the win quotes?
You can unlock win quotes? I wasn't aware of that.

Foxix Von

Vdragoon said:
Subtotal 309.00
Tax 0.00
Balance Due 344.00

DAYUM, that's a lot of cash for some box mounted buttons:lol
I'm just jealous because I'm poor...
VQ

Foxix said:
DAYUM, that's a lot of cash for some box mounted buttons:lol
I'm just jealous because I'm poor...
VQ
Dual console compatibility and layed out to his personal preference?
Plus no retail sticks on PS3 or Xbox 360 use P360 levers to my knowledge. I'm sure it's worth it to him.

Kccitystar

Sectus said:
More matches against MicVlaD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEQE_-Y9lU&fmt=22 - Ultra linked to super = very scary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYk9TcMJts&fmt=22 - I'm pretty sure all the moves Dhalsim did in this match were one guaranteed combo. Even between rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbOLpBwWmg&fmt=22 - Epic Dan vs Sakura battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55V4IlsJhY&fmt=22 - Even more epic Dan vs Dan (I didn't know Dan could taunt while jumping, that's pure epicness right there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaPw4IRaAg&fmt=22 - More Dhalsim vs Sakura.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ7TP26w714&fmt=22 - The one and only time I've been able to link EX hurricane kick to Sakura's ultra.

You can unlock win quotes? I wasn't aware of that.

I've seen it in a lot of console videos

Barrett2

4 of my last 5 ranked matches the other guy picked Blanka. Is Blanka big in Europe or something?

Anyone know where they sell cool / subtle SF related shirts? I saw a cool t-shirt in the pickup post thread, just a white shirt with a Blanka on the side; but when I look online I only see shit I wouldn't wear past the 6th grade.

MoxManiac

Spiderjericho said:
Guess what? I got my PS3 version...so we can play this weekend. Help me level up...so I can avenge my flubbing by N3ss...the scales must be balanced again...

Definitely will be playing this weekend, so i'm up for it! I hope we get a decent connection though. If you're on the west coast it may end up a bit laggy (Though the most recent time Ferrio and I played wasn't -that- bad considering the distance)

DihcarEM

Today was a good SF4 day for me.
I bought the beauty and shoto pack(i have a jap sf4) and my TE stick arrived.

It will probaly be a good week or two before i fight ranked matches again, definitely not in the zone of fighting with a stick.
The square button looked to be malfunctioning cus it would stayed loged in after pressing it. Less towards the end so i'm guessing it's just matter of getting the button worked in.
For the rest it's fantastic, i do seem to have more trouble preforming an ultra on a stick then on a joypad, lots and lots of training is needed.

The shoto pack is great, my favorite is definitely Ryu's. Gouken looks better then Gouki imo. Ken's alt in white is also quite cool.
Next week one of my main's will get his alt, Sagat. And my other main two weeks from now, Fei Long. I cant wait.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
Color 10 is awesome for Cammy
That's the color I use for Cammy, my main. All black with silver trimmings and platinum blonde hair; she looks like a pulp Nazi assassin! (With British accent, of course.) I wore Alt 10 last night when I got my five-online-matches-won-in-a-row trophy. I'm feeling good, even if my thumb is not! :lol

I finally, FINALLY unlocked Gouken. I had tried everything suggested in this thread. What wound up working was setting Arcade to Easiest, one round, infinite time, then picking Ryu (having beat Arcade with him numerous times), and getting Perfects on the first two matches, then Ultra finishers on the following three matches, then after that I got another Perfect, followed by another Ultra finisher. I think I got Perfect against Seth, and then when Gouken appeared I whittled his HP down with the jump kick/low kick combo, and when he was weak I kept my distance and took enough hits from his hadoken to fill my revenge guage, at which point I KO'd him with my Ultra combo. Voila -- Gouken's unlocked!

I like the old man. Try watching a CPU vs. CPU match set to Hardest, seven rounds and infinite time, and pin Gouken against Akuma at Volcanic Rim. I swear, it's better than most shows on television. Fireballs everywhere, and it usually comes down to Round 7. Epic!

Observations on Matchmaking:

I don't know about you guys, but I feel the match making is a bit wonky sometimes but overall pretty great. PROS: When I select "more skilled" I tend to get characters that have the same or more BP and most of the time they really do kick my ass. I always notice a substantial increase in skill regardless of how much BP the person does or doesn't have. This makes me wonder if win %, number of medals, etc. are taken into account when setting up a match aside from pure BP status.

CONS: "Same Skill" however usually matches me up with a bunch of low level 0-500 BP scrubs when I'm in the 1000ish range (you know, just a step above scrub ;). It's awful because it's high risk/low reward. I know BP is still evening out since the game is two weeks old or so, but I really wish developers would account for this period. Nothing worse than losing against a 200BP SRK spamming Ken. I lost around 90BP when it takes 3 or 4 wins against that same KEN to get 90 BP. Plus I hate imagining the smile on that assholes face. "Hah, is this a 1000BP player? I must be really good." No, you're not.

Anyone think they should account for matches that are 2-1 versus those that are 2-0. More BP for the latter than the former seems fair no? They don't do that already I don't think. Also, 1 round bouts should be worth less.

TimeKillr

Vdragoon said:
Subtotal 309.00
Tax 0.00
Balance Due 344.00

Hmmm, Perfect 360.. My favorite stick, beats out japanese sticks anytime. :)

If you don't have access to that stick though, the Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks are much better than Happ sticks.

I ordered me a fightpad from amazon....I hope that works. 66 dollars for a controller is about as far as I can go....but even if i doesn't help...It'll atleast look pretty.

TurtleSnatcher said:
So wait.. the last two do the same thing?

Confuzzled.

Full Screen? What will the Shoryuken + 3k get you to if you were a full screen away.. and then what will a Reverse Shoryuken + 3k get you too?

They both sound the same.

* Shoryuken motion with 3x punch: Behind your opponent
>>> this will plop you right behindyour opponent (aka on the opposite side, close)

* Reverse Shoryuken motion with 3x punch: Mid-screen teleport in front of opponent
>>> this will plop you about mid-way between where you are and where your opponent is (i believe, haven't confirmed yet)

* Shoryuken motion with 3x kick: Right in front of opponent
>>> this will plop you smack dab in front of your opponent. If you are away from your opponent, this will close all of the gap.

* Reverse Shoryuken motion with 3x kick: Full-screen teleport in front of opponent
>>> this will place you 1 full screen AWAY from your opponent. If you already are a full screen away, you will teleport to the same spot.

I admit i am not a heavy dhalsim user, so some of this might be a touch off.

ShinAmano

Knux-Future said:
I ordered me a fightpad from amazon....I hope that works. 66 dollars for a controller is about as far as I can go....but even if i doesn't help...It'll atleast look pretty.
That is the best price I have heard for Amazon on the pads...they are around 89+ when I look. I have one and the TE stick, but I need to find 1 or 2 more pads for the love of christ...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just noticed that you can cancel sagat's f+lk into tiger uppercut such that you get a long, quick step right into the uppercut -- would kara cancel be the term? WHORE is certainly the term for sagat

edit: i'm starting to get the timing down for ex uppercut into ultra. i'm probably going to be a sagat player before this training session is through :/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Took Ryu into the training mode last night and he's just a solid character all around. I think either my timing with c.mk in combos may be borked or my button may be because it doesn't register when it should. =/ I'll take Gouken in today after work and decide between the two.

Top Bottom